Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,247 members, 7,780,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:38 PM

Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? (1963 Views)

Should I Replace My 15inch Rims With 16inch Rims On My Toyota Camry 2001 Model? / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? by Everfrank(m): 9:28pm On Aug 18, 2013
I decide to change my Toyota Condor's 5L diesel engine with a tokunbo one. I have located a very clean one but with automatic injector- mine is manual injector. Can it be fixed on my car together with the automatic injector or must It be replaced with my old manual injector? Which option is better. Please I need advise.
Re: Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
Everfrank: I decide to change my Toyota Condor's 5L diesel engine with a tokunbo one. I have located a very clean one but with automatic injector- mine is manual injector. Can it be fixed on my car together with the automatic injector or must It be replaced with my old manual injector? Which option is better. Please I need advise.

You need to make your query clearer. I've read it through a couple of times, and I still don't understand what you're asking.

Are you looking to convert a diesel-engined car to a petrol-powered one? Fittings a replacement engine from an automatic car? Converting to carburetor?
Re: Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? by Everfrank(m): 1:21am On Aug 19, 2013
@Sienna.
Thanks oga. My diesel engine Toyota Condor uses manual injector- which uses throttle cable to accelerate. The engine is shortening oil and I have changed the rings before. So my mechanic advised that I either overhaul the engine by resleeving the engine block and changing the pistons thereby returning it to standard, or I buy another tokunbo engine of the same make and replace the old one.
I chose to replace the 5L diesel engine with another 5L diesel engine. There is this other mechanic that has a 5L tokunbo diesel engine for sale- same as the one on my car. But the injector on this engine is automatic/electric which uses sensor instead of throttle cable as on my old engine. He said he will have to use my manual injector on the new engine and it will be ok. My question is is it necessary to replace the electric injector that comes with the new engine with the manual injector from my old engine? Can't the new engine, along with its electric injector, be fixed on my car that works with manual injector? Thanks.
Re: Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? by Nobody: 6:05am On Aug 19, 2013
Sounds like your old diesel engine is DBC (Drive By Cable) while the new one is DBW (Drive By Wire). Both systems are not directly interchangeable.

To run DBW in your DBC chassis, you'll need the complete engine wiring harness, gas pedal and ECU from the newer engine. Not financially (or practically) viable. Simply get the right engine for your model.
Re: Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:32am On Aug 19, 2013
Everfrank: I decide to change my Toyota Condor's 5L diesel engine with a tokunbo one. I have located a very clean one but with automatic injector- mine is manual injector. Can it be fixed on my car together with the automatic injector or must It be replaced with my old manual injector? Which option is better. Please I need advise.

There is nothing called automatic/manual injectors but as siena said the trottle can be controlled by cable or by electric wires/ sensor and either way the ECU controls the injectors
Re: Can I Replace My Manual Injector Engine With An Automatic One? by cardoctor(m): 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2013

Its possible but you may have to change the entire engine loom, wiring harnesses related to engine operation as well as the ecm. Quite frankly, it may not be an economical move.

From the look of things, your original engine is fitted with a normal compression ignition engine with a mechanical fuel pump utilizing mechanical diesel injector nozzles while the new engine you being presented is Direct Electronic Injection diesel engine with high pressure electronic injectors.

The new generation diesels require two diesel electric pumps.one in the tank called primary and a secondary one in the engine bay to maintain maximum pressure to a distributtor on the engine that pumps to a high pressure fuel rail with regulator attached.

All these are controled by a complex network of electronic components such as camshaft position sensors, crankshaft position sensors as well as the control module for acurate and optimum fuel injection into the combustion chambers.

I would still advise that you replace with exact engine type.

Car-Doctor.

(1) (Reply)

On A Scale Of 1-10 How Luxurious Do You Think This Garage Is? / Check Engine Light On Camry Car / Honda Accord Tire Size

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.