Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google (21477 Views)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Reason Why Africa Is Still Underdevelope And Solution To It / Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 12:58am On Aug 19, 2013
Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/04/07/why-africa-may-never-produce-a-facebook-groupon-zynga-or-google/

This was the title of a post by an african reporter on Forbes Africa. As I read the post I couldn't disagree with the writers point.

But I still refused to believe africa can't or doesn't have the capability to produce $billion Internet companies.

More even now am interested in knowing or finding out about the ground breaking ideas out there. Because I believe before funding there must be ground shaking ideas and innovations. The writer did make mention of a few but (I stand to be corrected that) we still lack a lot.

So my thought and question has been rephrased from the reporter's.

Where are all Nigeria's programmers and developers?

If not even web apps, Where are the new android and iOs apps? Why don't we have them crawling all over the place?

The mobile platforms are speedingly taken over. Plus from my little research and understanding the cost/effort to produce these apps have greatly been reduced by there inventors.

Sure, We have produced the likes of jobberman and Iroko yet one can still say these are not industry disruptive companies.

Finally, Someone might ask "why haven't I produced mine?" Well I have always enjoyed been on the non-tech (idea guy) side of the game. But we all know many tech guyz in nigeria aren't ready to grow startups (I stand to be corrected again). They do would rather aim for jobs with the oil companies. Have got 1st hand experience on this myself even with some NL programmers. So recently have decided to jump in and start building programming skills. Cos I really really just hate this Article Title!

Now fellow geeks let's hear your thoughts...

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:57am On Aug 19, 2013
That is just it. African entrepreneurs need angel financiers. We need people that will be willing to invest massively in our ideas. But I can authoritatively tell you that web and mobile app developers in Africa especially in Nigeria are not sleeping. Most of us are quietly getting ready to offer a game-changing, ground-breaking and out-of-the-box products to the African IT landscape. Guys are quietly, but steadily getting ready to unleash the genius in them. The finance will come when we are ready.

6 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Javanian: 9:11am On Aug 19, 2013
But as I read the article, I could not help but ask myself the pertinent yet habitually unanswered question: What about Africa? Why hasn’t a globally-renown, groundbreaking software, social network or mobile application ever emerged from the continent?

From my experiences, I have discovered that Africa equally has its own plethora of techies with earth-shaking ideas, rock-solid business plans and the commercial know-how required to transform a concept into a world-class business concern. There is no shortage of capacity. Africa has some extremely intelligent techpreneurs.

Africans can create hugely successful tech products that will sweep the world off its feet. There are several entrepreneurs out there waiting to break through, but their ideas might never see the light of day because of a lack of seed finance.

One thing i know for sure, what Africa isn't lacking is talent cool

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 9:25am On Aug 19, 2013
Javanian:

Talent? From what perspective? Not good enough programming skills?
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 9:28am On Aug 19, 2013
Pls and if any1 has or knows any new apps or software out there that seems promise I would for them to. Share it smiley
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by pjosh1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 19, 2013
The problem with africa is the absence of angel investors/venture capitalist. Imagine someone like me(17 yrs) going into d bank asking 4 loan to startup an internet business,the next thing is d bank manager (whatever dey call themselves)asking me 4 collateral,like i have any property.

Check this recent thread i opened in Nairaland
http://nairaland.com/1401052/nigerian-banks-grant-teenagers-loans
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by ebamma(m): 6:47pm On Aug 19, 2013
.we africans hate cracking our brains, we go to school to read engineering so that we can work in big companies and earn lucrative pay not because we want to think of inventing a car, tv or any other thing, with all the sun we have, the solar panel was invented by the whites who dont have as much sunlight like ours, because we hardly sit down to think, we live, go to school, finish school to find a job so that we can eat, even our programmers hardly try anything new other than creating websites so that the can eat

21 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 19, 2013
Shebi we get Nairaland naw cheesy cheesy cheesy

It is a Pan-African forum ruled by heavy-handed moderators who ban you till your greatest grand children will come and reopen your profile grin grin

It is a forum that is also known for its biased views and its gangsterism.

There you have it. Who talk say naija nor get their own Facebook cheesy

Mu che che che che che che che

16 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Zikdik(m): 6:52pm On Aug 19, 2013
Who needs a Facebook,Google,Yahoo,e.t.c when you've got a Nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 19, 2013
At least Seun we produced NAIRALAND sha

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 19, 2013
so we now know the problems,how do we solve them??

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Brimmie(m): 6:56pm On Aug 19, 2013
Na So So UnilagOlodo And Amebor Dot Cum We Sabi Do!! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by DisGuy: 6:57pm On Aug 19, 2013
Nigerians are not curious enough and even if they are; they get shot down-

most parents/teachers/lecturers don't like any rugrat thinking outside the box! you get 'konk' on ya head for asking too many questions...god save you if you try to have a debate with your lecturer in class!or use the computer for something else- you go pay for damages!

think about it, left handed kids get beaten... apparently its not normal

18 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 19, 2013
?
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 19, 2013
pDude: Shebi we get Nairaland naw cheesy cheesy cheesy

It is a Pan-African forum ruled by heavy-handed moderators who ban you till your greatest grand children will come and reopen your profile grin grin

Pan-African i tot nairaland is for Nigerians...well as the name implies.
maybe the name should be changed to appeal to a larger African audience

2 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Opey4luv(m): 7:01pm On Aug 19, 2013
Africans, we've got the idea but not the finance.
If enough cash could be put into our dear Nairaland, am very sure Mr. Seun has got a lot of plans for this forum.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Ymodulus: 7:02pm On Aug 19, 2013
[size=16pt]We also lack ingenuity. this is one big problem.

every one wants to create a nairaland, a facebook, a blog haba e don dooo naaaa
[/size]

7 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 19, 2013
Nairaland
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Ajibel(m): 7:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
Trash. Just watch out for some young Nigerians in few years time who'd lift Africa's image as the next IT capital particularly NIGERIA.

3 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
pDude: Shebi we get Nairaland naw cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by MSItachi: 7:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
Brimmie: Na So So UnilagOlodo And Amebor Dot Cum We Sabi Do!! grin grin

Linda lailai moimoi blog dot cum grin
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 19, 2013
Same reason Africa may never manufacture an aeroplane, for instance.

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by 50calibre(m): 7:06pm On Aug 19, 2013
In Africa, there is a cavalier attitude towards technology and innovation, they'd much rather buy finished products from other parts of the world.

The governments don't invest in the younger generation, programmers in Africa don't have all the necessary tools at their disposal and for those who manage to succeed, little or no attention/notice is given to them.

It is hard enough trying to be the next Zuckerberg or Larry page, even in the most advanced of countries, then talk much of Africa where the odds are all stacked up against you, your chances are next to nothing.

5 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 19, 2013
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew....wetin happen 2 LAGBOOK??
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by imrozz: 7:13pm On Aug 19, 2013
Nigerians need to participate in online works that will bring the finance to their country. Paypal is the problems in African countries as you can only send money but not receive money. I have the solution for you to receive money via paypal. This works like wonder. Check on http://www.paypalverifiedaccount.com/nigeria/
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by UyiIredia(m): 7:14pm On Aug 19, 2013
Javanian:

I so AGREE. Whilst in NIIT I saw smart dudes who were good at their stuff. Where it not for my parents strong-arming into university I would have been on Seun's path more likely without seeing Nairaland.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by kunlesehan(m): 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2013
it is impossible until it happens.

5 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by UyiIredia(m): 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2013
On the bright side we have Nairaland and Nairabook (tbh).
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by vladimiros: 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2013
THERE IS A GROUP ON FACEBOOKC ALLED SILICON AFRICA

ITS HAS NAIRALAND FOUNDER
IROKO TV AND MUSIC FOUNDER
HOTELS.NG FOUNDER
JUMIA FOUNDER

AND MOST OF THE INFLUENTIAL FOUNDERS IN NIGERIAN TECH

MOST OF YOU NEED TO GO THERE

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by UyiIredia(m): 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2013
Zikdik: Who needs a Facebook,Google,Yahoo,e.t.c when you've got a Nairaland?

Indeed. If Nairaland disappears today what will we even have as our own space. Truth be told, I surf here more than social sites, Nairaland is in my top 3: Google comes first cool
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2013
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Krasid(m): 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2013
What Africa lacks is creativity.We always want to copy the western world or build on what they have created.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Review My Price comparison engine / Association Of Programmers In Nigeria / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.