Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,468 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:02 AM

Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria (30170 Views)

The 10 Countries With The Fastest Internet In The World / Meet The World's Fastest Internet Millionaire (it Took Him Just 5 Months) / Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by yommys01(m): 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2008
Guys , I need your help , Internet connection is treating me real bad and it is affecting my online business , I use Multilinks but I swear it is slower than a snail. can you recommend any one faster don't mention star comm please just tell me any one u have used that works and how to get it including start up price and monthly payment
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by A2J(m): 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2008
guy,if you mean dial-up connections, Multi-links is the fastest of them all and if multi-links is very slow for your business, i will suggest you get one of the many tools out there to make your internet faster,i will recommend onspeed.

BUT your sure bet is get BROADBAND,its the bomb.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by yommys01(m): 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2008
A2J:

guy,if you mean dial-up connections, Multi-links is the fastest of them all and if multi-links is very slow for your business, i will suggest you get one of the many tools out there to make your internet faster,i will recommend onspeed.

BUT your sure bet is get BROADBAND,its the bomb.
how can I get that broadband of a thing , what does it cost by month and whats the start up capital
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by A2J(m): 3:14am On Jun 08, 2008
you will be looking something of around 100k o, around 70k for installation and other equipments and around 15k monthly
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by yommys01(m): 6:26pm On Jun 08, 2008
well 100k for everything or do u mean 100k plu another 70k for installation . and please let me know how I can get it
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 08, 2008
100k? have you gotten 1 for that price b4 cos here in lagos, its of the range 25k-40k
the month payment something around 10-15k, starcomms and directonpc offers such services

check their sites for details and the speed at times depends on ur area, I have a friend with DOPC at lasu ojo side and i tell you, at times, dialup wins his broadband

if you need dialup thats fast, try starcomms again, they have improved
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by A2J(m): 8:35pm On Jun 08, 2008
webdezzi:

100k? have you gotten 1 for that price before because here in lagos, its of the range 25k-40k
the month payment something around 10-15k, starcomms and directonpc offers such services

check their sites for details and the speed at times depends on your area, I have a friend with DOPC at lasu ojo side and i tell you, at times, dialup wins his broadband

if you need dialup thats fast, try starcomms again, they have improved

25k for broadband internet including all installment and equipment? no wonder your friend's connection bad,well, i got mine for 75k and start paying 15k per month and i have never had complain of the connection,not once.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by niyyie(m): 9:12pm On Jun 08, 2008
What service provider do you use A2J?
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by cooldude62(m): 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2008
try starcomm's EVDO
although it has no coverage in some areas but will still work as 1x.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 10, 2008
you need to clap for yourself, na me be network operator?
beats me that you have to boast of a connection
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by agboifo(f): 5:45pm On Jun 11, 2008
-I have used Multilinks, I quit
-I have used Starcomms EVDO, I quit

-I have used Swift Broadband since January 2007, I'm still with them.

Swift is fast (swiftng.com). Initial payment for Antenna (table top or External) is 47,000. Thereafter you pay N15,000 subscription per month, actually N15750 the extra being VAT.

In other to accommodate the times I'm out of the office, since March 2008, I have also Glo UMTS (3g) using the Icon Globesurfer USB Modem. It is amazing. Believe me the download in incredible, hovering on the average at 110kp/s. I paid N30,000 for the starter pack and N15,000 monthly subscription. The only downside is that you're limited to 3GB per month.

So in summary, I'll say go to for Swift because the rate is flat. You also have options for day-only, or night-only.

Hope this helps.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by kazey(m): 8:28pm On Jun 11, 2008
So swift broadband is the best internet connection in Nigeria?
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Afam(m): 12:13pm On Jun 12, 2008
agboifo:

In other to accommodate the times I'm out of the office, since March 2008, I have also Glo UMTS (3g) using the Icon Globesurfer USB Modem. It is amazing. Believe me the download in incredible, hovering on the average at 110kp/s. I paid N30,000 for the starter pack and N15,000 monthly subscription.

If the speed referenced in the content above is correct then the Glo UMTS is really fast.

I have used a broadband connection with 1Mbps stated but with average speed of 12kbps when tasked.

Sometimes, it makes sense to even use a dial up like MTS First wireless with an average speed of about 6kbps at the cost it goes for than to spend more on braodband solutions that are just marginally better than dial up.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by agboifo(f): 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2008
Hi Afam,

Oh yes, the speed referenced for Glo UMTS is correct, but only for download.  That is understandable because download bandwidth is cheaper.  So fast actually that I have to be careful I don't get into a download spree when I'm using the Glo, because they do stick to the 3GByte download limit.

Last month, a friend borrowed the Glo to do some download.  He happily "guzzled" 400MB in no time before I 'called him to order' smiley

All said, Swift will be my preference for the following reasons:
1.  Consistently fast download AND ESPECIALLY upload speed
2.  Flat rate
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by yommys01(m): 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2008
@agboifo do you have a phone number swift can be reached on ?? I could not get through to their contact us from the site please send me their phone number of email address, seems u have solved my problem already
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:28pm On Jun 12, 2008
How fast exactly is swift, before we start pouring money down the drain.
And the download speed of Glo is it 100kbps or 100 kilobytes per second?
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Ekwere(m): 5:52pm On Jun 12, 2008
Thank you so very much Agboifo,well below is the different packages for your perusal-

SERVICE PLANS INSTALLATION SPEED PCS MONTHLY RATE INSTAL. TIME SLOT
SWIFTHOME 45K 400 3 6,000 53,550.00 6PM-8AM
SWIFTHOME PLUS 40K 400 3 8,000 50,400.00 5P-10AM
BASIC 30K ' 5 12,000 44,100.00 6am-6pm
classic 30k ' 5 15,000 47.250.00 24/7
There many more plans for your consumption.The amount shown here is for the installation but you would be required to pay like swift home-6,300.00,swifthome plus-8,400.00,swift basic-12,600.00,swift classic-15,750.00 monthly.

I would prefer you call Olivia on 08033268581- oonuigwe@swiftng.com or Thompson(customer service officer swift Networks) on 08024627500 for more clarification.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 12, 2008
i am a download/warez junkie - which connection is best for downloads of up to 500mb - 1gb per session?

starcomms is shit, as far as i'm concerned. you can take up to 10 mins to download a 400kb file. with which provider can you download 100mb in 10-15mins?
i'm getting tired of sitting in cyber cafes with yahoo yahoo boys
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by wrex001(m): 6:19pm On Jun 12, 2008
Starcomms is better compared to Multi-links this days.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by oolumide: 7:04pm On Jun 12, 2008
Why not check out visafone. I am yet to see anyone complaining. I use it and it is superfast and monthly subscription could be as low as 6500.00 modem could come as low as 12,000. It operate on Rev A which few telecoms operate with in Africa . Service is also available in Sixteen state. I know so many people that have abadoned Stacomms, multilink and the rest for it.

midee
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 12, 2008
Whatever anyone does, avoid Multilinks like a plague. Someone said it's the best dial-up right now, but take it from me, nothing can be worse than multilinks.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by oldie(m): 7:33pm On Jun 12, 2008
EVDO CDMA is still the best technology around, if you compare apple with apple.
My Starcomm EVDO has not disappointed me.
Visafone EVDO is also good
In addition, EVDO is portable, Swift is fixed
And I have downloaded 1Gb in less than 30 minutes

We may have to start demanding QOS (Quality of Service) from these ISPs.
Does anyone have the standard QOS required for EVDO, Dial-up etc?
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by ogrebuga(m): 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2008
oldie:

EVDO CDMA is still the best technology around, if you compare apple with apple.
My Starcomm EVDO has not disappointed me.
Visafone EVDO is also good
In addition, EVDO is portable, Swift is fixed
And I have downloaded 1Gb in less than 30 minutes

We may have to start demanding QOS (Quality of Service) from these ISPs.
Does anyone have the standard QOS required for EVDO, Dial-up etc?

No way!!!!! shocked
What ISP did you say you were using again? cheesy
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Anuliph(f): 8:36pm On Jun 12, 2008
I use starcomms nd i wud rate them 80%. They re not that bad. My friend uses visafone n he complains. But one thing is some of these ISP 's work better in some places.
so find out which works best in your area.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2008
We use swift broadband in my coy, I agree its quite fast!
"Quite fast" is not the answer to my question, dear sir. How long does it take to download a 100mb file? Is it 10 times faster than Multilinks or just a little bit faster?
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by ono(m): 9:05pm On Jun 12, 2008
I have been using the Ripwave Wireless broadband technology since November last year. . . . . . never a dull moment. And internet browsing can't be this good. Navini Networks have revolutionized the way people browse with their very durable and versatile broadband modem.

It's simply plug and browse. No antenna, no password, no long thin. Just connect modem to your pc, put your IP address where it should be, and you're on the net.

Speed is awsome! You could get some 100 - 500Kbps speed - depending on your location relative to their mast.

Price can come as low as 7000 per month (12hrs/D) - depending on you connection plan. . . . . Initial installation cost (only the purchase of the modem N27,000.).

For me, this is simply the best I could get in here in PHC.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by citee(m): 10:44pm On Jun 12, 2008
My little contribution seeing that am not an expert as some other posters, would be to go for Direct on Pc. Like some people have said it might depend on your area though . I also had a very frustrating time when i was using multilinks dial up. I live in Okota in Lagos and since i started using Direct on Pc, i've not looked back. grin
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by robby1(m): 5:08am On Jun 13, 2008
Dont you guys get tired of this question? everyone is just going to say their current ISP is the best. what do you expect?
I'll suggest you try for yourself and find the best that suits you.

Someone that uses multilinks in a place that has great multilinks reception will say its the best. likewise someone that just got starcomms evdo and is still freaked with it is likely to say EVDO is the best. Most of the answeres are really opinions not facts. Try them all out and find what suits you best poster. There are a million and one threads like this and this is the same pattern that they all go.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Onyema1(m): 8:19am On Jun 13, 2008
Hmmm, i am surprised that no one mentioned VGC in all this comparisms. Well we have been using VGC in our coy, since 2006, but believe me till date, we havent had any issues. The only issue we normally have is that if your monthly subscription will end the next day they will disconnect you today.

Any other VGC user to corroborate my submission
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by adeshsam(m): 8:27am On Jun 13, 2008
@ Robby, ! you have said it all. I agree with what you said. Many people with different opinion. In my own case, i advicw you try them all so you decide on which one suit you must. Remember, your area will determine how fast the connection will be. So, what are you waiting for @Poster
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 13, 2008
adeshsam:

@ Robby, ! you have said it all. I agree with what you said. Many people with different opinion. In my own case, i advicw you try them all so you decide on which one suit you must. Remember, your area will determine how fast the connection will be. So, what are you waiting for @Poster

unlike software, 'trying' them requires that you first shell out 25-70k for the hardware, then 7-15k for monthly access.

do you think that kind of money grows on trees?what sort of ______________advice is that?

more to the point - 90% of the peeps posting probably do nothing more with their connections than chat and log on to nairaland. they also have no point of reference/benchmark to compare the so called 'fast' connection to.

the sad thing is that so many of these companies spend far more on advertising than service.

early this year my boss asked me to get a starcomms card for him for his personal use. for three moths after purcahse it was one story after another. as to why the card kept misbehaving. i wasd really pissed with all the technical explantions for a simple reason - we paid for the card, and with no grammer on our part about cheque clearing, account frozen, etal.

the saving grace was that it was my boss' card. imagine if i had bought the card for my personal use. i was actually camped at their office for a whole day at one time. no way i could have done that if it was my card - and starcomms dont work on weekends. my wife wanted to set up her company phone (CDMA) to run on her laptop. we took it to starcomms festac, they told us to pay 5000 for the adaptor. no can do. went to pc village and bought it for n1500. i guess starcomms does speak our language- at least the language of the 'computer engineers' of PC village. after setup, the connection kept failing.

simple question - how long does it take to download a 100mb file using the connection? that is a realistic indicator of a connection's speed.
Re: Which Is The Fastest Internet Connection In Nigeria by robby1(m): 9:32am On Jun 13, 2008
@ oyb
Trying them does not necessarily mean buying them. its very__________of you trying to make it look like its what i said.

He should not rely on people's opinions. If he can find people that use different ISP's, he can try out for himself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bloggers: Before You Try To Be Like Linda Ikeji... / Nairaland MissTechy Featured On Nigerian Bulletin:Give advice to New Bloggers / How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.