Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? (4528 Views)

(PHOTO) - VERY SCARY Pounded Yam And Egusi / Iresi Ati Ewa (rice And Beans) Is A Nutritious Staple Food. Find Out More!! / Live Abj, PH, Bauchi, Jos, Calabar, Lagos Get Ofada And Garri Ijebu(Packaged) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by DNA1(f): 5:18pm On Aug 20, 2013
Guys, I have lost my appetite for more reasons than I care to mention, but the funny thing is that hunger wants to finish me here. Today I have eaten rice three times, and I am very sure I will still eat it once more this night. So please guys, can you suggest other staple foods available in Nigeria, besides rice, yam, and garri....I am tired of them all!!! :- undecided

p.s dont mention beans....it gives me stomach problems..
cry
Thanks i await your reply guys
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Obinnau(m): 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2013
Have you tried combining them I a variety of ways? Trust me you would feel a difference. You can go for the life saver also - noodles. Potatoes are in season now. But the greatest advice is to be changing your methods of preparing those foods.
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by DNA1(f): 6:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
Obinnau: Have you tried combining them I a variety of ways? Trust me you would feel a difference. You can go for the life saver also - noodles. Potatoes are in season now. But the greatest advice is to be changing your methods of preparing those foods.

even noodles and spaghetti...i am tired of 'em all... cry
yeah, i fry potatoes, but only once in a while..
as 4 combination....i am not good at combining foods
isn't there anything else i can try??

btw, thanks for ur contribution...i should buy potatoes tomorrow..
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Obinnau(m): 6:58pm On Aug 20, 2013
You can also try african salad aka abacha, garnished with....... You know.
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by DNA1(f): 7:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
abacha is bitter in my mouth Obinna..
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Obinnau(m): 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
DNA1: abacha is bitter in my mouth Obinna..
Hmm. then stick the conventional foods
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by bluerange(f): 1:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
catfish pepper soup and agidi (eko in yoruba) make sure there is enough ehuru, uziza and ose nsukka in the pepper soup. wish am back home!
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by DNA1(f): 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2013
bluerange: catfish pepper soup and agidi (eko in yoruba) make sure there is enough ehuru, uziza and ose nsukka in the pepper soup. wish am back home!

ah! thanks for reminding me of agidi.... eh heh...now u are talking...
also, someone just reminded me of amala
so...any other staple food in naija apart from all those that haave bn mentioned on this thread??
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Bluemoon1(f): 3:49pm On Aug 21, 2013
Plantain (unripe or ripe), ukwa (breadfruit porridge), u could use onunu to eat soup instead of garri or it can be eaten alone(its pounded plantain and yam, it has sugary sweet taste), okpa(like moin moin but made with bambara nut flour)
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by DNA1(f): 3:57pm On Aug 21, 2013
@ Blue moon; i av not heard of all these foods u listed, before. I wonder how they taste; and how to prepare them.
thanks for your contribution all the same.
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Bluemoon1(f): 4:01pm On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Bluemoon1(f): 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2013
the ingredients for ukwa and okpa are easily gotten in southern nigeria. don't kno how easy it will be to get them where u stay
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by DNA1(f): 4:08pm On Aug 21, 2013
Blue moon: the ingredients for ukwa and okpa are easily gotten in southern nigeria. don't kno how easy it will be to get them where u stay

thanks dearie, i will watch d videos now...i'm sure it will stimulate my appetite
Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by Bluemoon1(f): 4:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
DNA1: abacha is bitter in my mouth Obinna..

since u said its bitter you are probably talking of abacha that is made with only ugba or mixed with a little ugba

cos pure abacha taste can't be bitter, its more or less tasteless. could also be the the okporo some pple add to theirs that gives it a bitter taste.

Re: Apart From Rice, Yam And Garri Please Do We Have Other Staple Foods In Nigeria? by bluerange(f): 8:29pm On Aug 21, 2013
though born & raised in lagos but l worked in rural southeast for some time and it exposed me to so much food-wise. village markets offers so much real stuff. can't forget fiofio (pigeon peas) and yam nor akidi.

(1) (Reply)

How To Prepare The Most Expensive And Popular Food In Nigeria - Photo / 5 Food Pregnant Women Should Eat / What Is The Razzest Food That U Just Lurv?share!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.