Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! (14342 Views)

New TV Deal Brings Free Premier League Games To 50 African Countries / Kano Pillars Wins Nigeria League (NPFL) For The Third Successive Time. / Nigeria League Result Now On Livescore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by HolyTruth: 5:44pm On Aug 20, 2013
If the news below is accurate...Nigeria is then set to take its rightful position among the body of nations.

The League Management Company (LMC) Limited has reached a television rights deal worth $34 million with South African group of television channels, SuperSport.

LMC, which is in charge of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), announced the deal on its twitter handle, @LMCNPFL. It said the TV rights deal is expected to take off from 2015 and run for four years.

LMC Chairman Nduka Irabor, while unfolding the package in Abuja on Monday, said that though the deal takes effect in two years’ time, there is an agreement for some funds to be released from this year.

“It is important here to add a sweetener. They are willing to add some of these monies in advance. So for every year starting from this year, they will give us two million dollars in advance, that’s about 320 million naira ($1.9 million). We can rule the league very well now.”

Under the broadcast agreement, South Africa-based Supersports will televise six matches from the Nigeria domestic league each week. The frequency of the broadcast is expected to graduate every year into the contract.

“We are have now secured a steady cash flow and in a good position to run the league and help the clubs in meeting their obligations,” Irabor said.

“The broadcast rights deal will have a multiplier effects on our football as five million Nigerians will watch our domestic league matches on television. In the long run, our desire is that the Nigerian league will attract the same enthusiasm in the same latitude as the English Premier League, Spanish La Liga and German Bundesliga.”
http://businessdayonline.com/2013/08/nigeria-league-gets-34-million-tv-rights-deal/

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Andyblaze: 6:09pm On Aug 20, 2013
I know many will kill to be in my place. BTW Great one for Nigeria! With improvements the football scene of the 80s would return to our indigenous league. My dad told me football in Nigeria was like The EPL today then

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by nezpablo: 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
Good news though...But take off time of the contract is too far. Secondly,the sponsor money may be lion-shared by power unseen. This naija!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by MaziOmenuko: 9:22pm On Aug 20, 2013
HolyTruth: In the long run, our desire is that the Nigerian league will attract the same enthusiasm in the same latitude as the English Premier League, Spanish La Liga and German Bundesliga.”

Yea, right!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by HolyTruth: 9:59pm On Aug 20, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Yea, right!
You don't even believe in your name " Omenuko"..so why will I even bother. The earlier you delete the slave mentality from your brain the better for you.
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by taiocol: 10:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
how much will be allocated to each of the teams.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Ayorh4you(m): 12:45am On Aug 21, 2013
only if the money will be well untilized and channeled into the right direction. i pray mk e no disappear at the end of the daY.
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by fingard02k(m): 12:50am On Aug 21, 2013
hope they can now build some better stadiums and also buy good cameras from the money. welcome development sha

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Lilprocess(m): 12:51am On Aug 21, 2013
This guys no get time woo, so they no know say nigeria go soon divide.
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Appliedmaths(m): 12:51am On Aug 21, 2013
Does it mean, we can now sign foreign european players to our local clubs cheesy if not so then I'm not interested.
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by sagytariusTM1: 12:59am On Aug 21, 2013
Really?
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by kennyonthrone(m): 1:03am On Aug 21, 2013
Appliedmaths.:
Does it mean, we can now sign foreign european players to our local clubs cheesy if not so then I'm not interested.
Okpo who d'beg u 2 b interested b4 kwanu

Wel dis is a step towards d'ryt direction,a journey of a thousand mile starts wit a step....kudos 2 hoeva made it possible

1 Like

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Decapo: 1:05am On Aug 21, 2013
So we can now buy mourinho
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by wiilly02(m): 1:25am On Aug 21, 2013
na waste of money kus dem go stil disgrace demselves score 76-0 4 1 match...na me tok am!!
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by obainojazz(m): 1:25am On Aug 21, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Yea, right!
i just wanna tell u that i love all you stories..u re a bomb man...@topic...thats great...really wanna see eyimba lift d trophy...dont know why bayelsa united lost...well..they are still tied in points sha...but Eyimba all the way
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by taiocol: 1:25am On Aug 21, 2013
Decapo: So we can now buy mourinho
who be mourinho
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by wiilly02(m): 1:27am On Aug 21, 2013
instead of dem 2 use d money 2 develope our pure water sector...dey ah wastin it on half dead players n obesse officials
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by vladimiros: 1:31am On Aug 21, 2013
PLEASE, DON'T ;LET THE CLUB OWNERS TOUCH IT

THEY WOULD EAT IT UP

1 Like

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 21, 2013
and how much be my share?
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Nobody: 2:48am On Aug 21, 2013
fake fake news evry day embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by Willgates(m): 3:17am On Aug 21, 2013
angry sad
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by goddyjay(m): 3:35am On Aug 21, 2013
Great, let's hope this improves the publicity of our league smiley
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by nijanigga: 3:49am On Aug 21, 2013
We will see, if the deal can hold waters if oil money begins to dry up.
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by SLIDiE(m): 3:59am On Aug 21, 2013
We no go surprise if the whole cash vanish tomorrow!

Besides, who bilivs Nigerian jornalism anyway? undecided

Small time u'll here the chairman say: 'na 0.34millon dollars o. We no knw where dem see $34m o'.

And in truth, na who dey watch wey TV deals reach $34mills?
undecided
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by goldfish80(m): 4:09am On Aug 21, 2013
Fantasic development.The English premier league is what it is today because of Tv rights sponsorship money,not even Barclays who are the name rights owners. I hope this 34M UsD will be further reviewed subsequently in years to come to about $1B (hey! You, stop laughing there) and more matches televised and not just 6 out of a possible of 10 games.congrats to Npl tho.
Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by orgasticdance: 4:11am On Aug 21, 2013
A league makes less than what leBron James makes in a year($40m). See life

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria League Gets $34Million TV Deal! by frazerking(m): 4:12am On Aug 21, 2013
nijanigga: We will see, if the deal can hold waters if oil money begins to dry up.
so bad u dnt believe in naija. To me dats a very good development

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2018 World Cup Teams Complete As Peru Book Last Spot / FIFA Women's W/cup: Tinubu, Atiku, Others Hail Super Falcons Despite Loss / EPL Clubs Vote To Continue Matches Amid Fast Rising Covid-19 Cases In Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.