Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya (7205 Views)

Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? / The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 8:24pm On Aug 20, 2013
I am so happy. Finally I am going on a summer holiday with my family to nairobi kenya. Nairalander share with me your feelings and excitement the first time u had a family summer holiday. Also advise me on what I should prepare for my trip. Lots of luv
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 12:02am On Aug 21, 2013
don't forget your camera!
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 8:59am On Aug 21, 2013
Thanks I av a samsung galaxy note 2. That should be okay I guess. I am using ethiopian airline I guess the experience should be good.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 10:02am On Aug 21, 2013
take note kenya is right-hand drive, so you have to remember that when crossing the road. which part of nairobi will you be staying?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 12:02pm On Aug 21, 2013
Well I av not confirmed yet but there is a junction mall apartment I am looking at. Thanks for the info on right hand driving.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2013
If any body has gone to Nairobi before kindly advise on things that could excite a family. I am doing a self cathering apartment
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 12:42am On Aug 22, 2013
hi oluumide i live in nairobi,there are lots of fun things to do here
you can go ice skating at panari,go for a game drive at the nairobi national park,hiking at ngong hills,water slides at the village market,nature trails at ololua,feed giraffes at the girraffe centre,there is a whole lot of things you can do if you need any directions i will assist karibu kenya cheesy
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 12:43am On Aug 22, 2013
[quote][/quote]hi oluumide i live in nairobi,there are lots of fun things to do here
you can go ice skating at panari,go for a game drive at the nairobi national park,hiking at ngong hills,water slides at the village market,nature trails at ololua,feed giraffes at the girraffe centre,there is a whole lot of things you can do if you need any directions i will assist karibu kenya cheesy
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 11:28am On Aug 25, 2013
Thank u very much aineki. Do u still leave there are u a nigerian or kenyan. I appreciate ur info. Can I get ur mail add so as to keep in touch.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 6:56pm On Aug 25, 2013
GREAT!! this is a big break from all those visa visa threads!!

following for the pictures grin

you don't have an itinerary?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 7:13pm On Aug 25, 2013
http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1974866_1974860_1974822,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1974866_1974860_1974840,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1974866_1974860_1974843,00.html

The Nairobi-Mombasa line is one of the world's great rail journeys, particularly when made in the Jambo Kenya Deluxe. This leisurely less-than-express is beginning to show its age (not all the lights work, for instance), but a $50 first-class ticket will get you two bunks and a vanity sink in your own cabin, a three-course dinner and a hot breakfast, all at tables laid with white tablecloths and chipped 1950s china.

2 Likes

Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 7:14pm On Aug 25, 2013
What you need to Know-- times

Costs
Taxis are cheap (around $15 for half an hour) and matatus are even cheaper, but if you will be moving around a lot, think about hiring a car for a day (around $70). Taxis from the airport to town are roughly $20. Not all of Nairobi's taxis are metered, so be sure to fix the price in advance to save arguing when you arrive.

Safety
Use the hotel safe, don't carry more money than you need for the day and don't do anything confidential, like banking, from an Internet café. Don't buy tours or souvenirs from touts, don't trust friendly strangers who approach you in the street with hard-luck tales (like escaping Sudan as a refugee) and don't walk after dark.

Tips
Gratuities are welcome and usually around 10%, but are mostly only expected by porters and in restaurants catering to predominantly foreign clientele.

Health
Fortunately, Nairobi is all but malaria-free, but Kenya's coastal regions and the interior around Lake Victoria are not. Be sure to take proper precautions.

Airport

Leave plenty of time to negotiate Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, where a security check at the entrance means you can queue for an hour just to get in, and the world's slowest officials mean you can lose another hour at passport control. Visas for most nationalities are available on arrival for $25.

Traffic

Do all you can to avoid rush hour, from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and between 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., when most of Nairobi's main roads are gridlocked.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1974866_1974864,00.html#ixzz2d0R8faMF
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2013
oolumide: Thanks I av a samsung galaxy note 2. That should be okay I guess. I am using ethiopian airline I guess the experience should be good.

Noooo get a proper camera with huge megabyte and 3 extra batteries for back up!
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
@Dis Guy ever been on a train to mombasa from nairobi?i did it once and i am never ever doing it again very tedious,tho the ride had some great views smiley

@ooluumide i am kenyan smiley i dont know how to pm i am new to this site though i have been here for two yrs as a guest
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 8:07pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nope never been on the train, I just saw the pictures online and they looked quiet an experience but then again with trains in africa arent up to speed (except in south africa) and customer service is not the best

Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
@ dis guy thanks I am driving but will come online shortly
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 8:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
@ this guy. I dont really have itinery but I know I will do safari.@aineki how do I get good rate on safari
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 9:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
I love the train stuff looks great
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 11:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
@oolumide travel agencies are the best at safaris,sadly there are soo many here hardly know of any good ones coz i never use them,but i can ask around for you

@dis guy our trains are too old i remember the one i was in had worn out seats lol but the 12 hour ride was worth the cold i got the next day
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 6:17am On Aug 28, 2013
thanks aineki, well i will try to check them out. What about shopping can one do shopping for children cloths in Nairobi or they are costly.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 12:15am On Aug 29, 2013
oolumide depends buying clothes from some high end malls is rather costly but we have lots of stalls in the city which have affordable clothes,but some sellers might try ripping you off if they notice you arent kenyan lol
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2013
@ aineki, pls I have challenge with my accommodation kindly advise on what to do. I didnt do my booking all these while because I was waiting for leave approval from my office also because some of the sites i wants to use such as holiday letting from trip advisor make use of only pay pal and that is not available in Nigeria, also because I was scared that I also dont get wrong self cathering accomodation. Now many of them are costly and owners and becoming difficult since my trip is this weekend. Now what if i booked for a stay for two days in hotel and decide to look for self cathering apartment while there I hope i will still be issued visa at point of entry.
Respond urgently. Regards
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 11:43pm On Aug 30, 2013
wow thats hard my friends family run a guest house but its also fully booked,its going to be hard finding accomodation since its the holidays sadly,have you googled some options?and i doubt they will deny you a visa as long as you have proof on where you will stay,just book a hotel first just incase then check for apartments after settling

kindly google Kenya comfort suites,ymca,the ndemi place and also Liza apartments they might have what you need goodluck
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 11:03am On Aug 31, 2013
Thanks will check it out. Will be in nairobi tomorrow.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by MostHigh: 11:25pm On Sep 02, 2013
a
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by claremont(m): 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2013
Jambo!

I'm in Kenya at the moment for a 1 month deployment, and I can confirm that Kenya is a beautiful country to behold and live in. I have experienced the best that Kenya has to offer in terms of a rich culture, wildlife and friendly people. I have also taking advantage of the cheap lifestyle to sink myself into cheap booze, cheap cigarettes and good-looking, voluptous Kenyan ladies. grin

In my opinion, the best way to really experience Kenya is to spend a holiday in the countryside. I have been to places like Nanyuki, Isiolo, and remote villages around the Mt Kenya and I have enjoyed my experience so much so that I wish my employers can relocate me here permanently.

Kenyan ladies seem to fall head-over-heels for foreign men and/or Africans based in the diaspora. The few times I had a day off from work I was getting free 'Kuma' wink, all I had to do was take them to a nice club/restaurant. Infact, words fail me to describe how I have thoroughly enjoyed my brief deployment here.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 1:00pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^compare to up cold boozey north i'm sure you're living it up in kenya.

depressing winter awaits you mon ami!!! cheesy

any pictures?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by MostHigh: 1:16pm On Sep 03, 2013
claremont: Jambo!

I'm in Kenya at the moment for a 1 month deployment, and I can confirm that Kenya is a beautiful country to behold and live in. I have experienced the best that Kenya has to offer in terms of a rich culture, wildlife and friendly people. I have also taking advantage of the cheap lifestyle to sink myself into cheap booze, cheap cigarettes and good-looking, voluptous Kenyan ladies. grin

In my opinion, the best way to really experience Kenya is to spend a holiday in the countryside. I have been to places like Nanyuki, Isiolo, and remote villages around the Mt Kenya and I have enjoyed my experience so much so that I wish my employers can relocate me here permanently.

Kenyan ladies seem to fall head-over-heels for foreign men and/or Africans based in the diaspora. The few times I had a day off from work I was getting free 'Koma' wink, all I had to do was take them to a nice club/restaurant. Infact, words fail me to describe how I have thoroughly enjoyed my brief deployment here.

Hi claremont

an you send me your contact number I would like to speak.

I am looking to come to kenya to undergoe some biogass workshops. as the kenyans are far advanced in the technology in africa

Do you know anything or anybody that has implemenmted a sustainable biogass production useing cow dung?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by claremont(m): 1:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
Dis Guy: ^^compare to up cold boozey north i'm sure you're living it up in kenya.

depressing winter awaits you mon ami!!! cheesy

any pictures?
I spent a week in Isiolo which is as far north as you can be, it is an area of Kenya close to the Somali border. The Kenyan weather is variable depending on where you are, there are some far-flung villages I went to that were experiencing arid, semi-desert conditions. Isiolo itself was very hot during the day but cold and chilly at night.

No pics to post on Nairaland. I only took pictures of myself and my colleagues doing what we came here for, I didn't have time for leisure picture-taking.

I love Kenya too much abeg, I feel so sad that I have to return back to base tomorrow.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by DisGuy: 1:34pm On Sep 03, 2013
I meant north- you're somewhere close to newcastle,sunderland area aint you?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by claremont(m): 1:43pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^
Nah man, left there ages ago. I'm in the south-east.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Airbus/Boeing Aircraft (2016) Price List Compared! / Double Decker Buses In Nigeria / Between Ivory Coast And Ghana, Which Is Better For Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.