Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Biochemistry OR Microbiology. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Biochemistry OR Microbiology. (20622 Views)

M. Sc Biochemistry Or M. Sc Pharmaceutical Chemistry? / Help Help Help...biochemistry Or Geology / Which Have Better Job Opportunities, Biochemistry Or Microbiology? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Titeb(m): 8:55pm On Aug 20, 2013
Which course is more suitable as direct entry to Medicine and Surgery between Biochemistry and Microbiology..
Pls help..
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by dharmsexy(f): 9:05pm On Aug 20, 2013
Microbiology cos it bridges d gap btw medicine n sciences. Microbiology is more medicine oriented(with oda advantages like industrial,food,etc just in case u change ur mind). Microbiology it is!
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Excelboi(m): 9:35pm On Aug 20, 2013
For sure, it is microbiology. My opinion though
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by 2Awesome: 2:30am On Aug 21, 2013
the vast majority of every thing you find in microbiology is about microorganism while biochemistry has got branches like immunology,clinical,industrial,genetics,forensics and molecular.As a matter of fact medicine itself is going the molecular way.You cant study medicine without taking courses in biochemistry. i believe you have your answer

5 Likes

Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Kunlexic(m): 7:02am On Aug 21, 2013
From my own opinion,i think biochemistry shd be more closer to medicine than microbiology.Some institutns have biochemistry under d same faculty as medicine while microbiology is under science.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by kzokul(m): 7:41am On Aug 21, 2013
Great Biochemists!!!! Acetyl COA..... Biochemistry is d backbone of medicine so wat else do u all need......
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by ayodeji752: 9:24am On Aug 21, 2013
Kunlexic: From my own opinion,i think biochemistry shd be more closer to medicine than microbiology.Some institutns have biochemistry under d same faculty as medicine while microbiology is under science.
example is university of ibadan. UI's biochemistry department is in college of medicine while microb is in science faculty.@op, note dat biochemistry is a course u must take in 200 and 300 level before u write ur MBBS exam. Go for biochem
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by eminent91: 10:22am On Aug 21, 2013
It is certainly biochemistry,cos witout it der is no medicine nd surgery,u mst surely pas tru biochemistry

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by ChemicalMallam(m): 10:40am On Aug 21, 2013
As a biochemist, let me start by saying 'what on earth is not chemistry?... My dear, both MBBS and biochemistry are related in d sense dat dey all deal wit human physiology...
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Kunlexic(m): 11:05am On Aug 21, 2013
ayodeji752: example is university of ibadan. UI's biochemistry department is in college of medicine while microb is in science faculty.@op, note dat biochemistry is a course u must take in 200 and 300 level before u write ur MBBS exam. Go for biochem
gud and one can easily get work with biochemistry than microbiology
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2013
2Awesome: the vast majority of every thing you find in microbiology is about microorganism while biochemistry has got branches like immunology,clinical,industrial,genetics,forensics and molecular.As a matter of fact medicine itself is going the molecular way.You cant study medicine without taking courses in biochemistry. i believe you have your answer
and there z no medical course you can do without microbiology
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 21, 2013
Kunlexic: From my own opinion,i think biochemistry shd be more closer to medicine than microbiology.Some institutns have biochemistry under d same faculty as medicine while microbiology is under science.
well most schools accept microbiology to medicine
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by motunny: 1:37am On Aug 22, 2013
Am an expamle of your question.
Did biochem as my 1st degree nd am in medschool now in caribbean island..microbiology from the name literally deals with microbes while biochem is a broad field of science that study but Living and non-living thing.Just gave a very simple explanation of the two.in USA and Canada and anywhere in the world,recognise both as a premedical degree but prefer biochem,cos u can't do without biochem even in medschool,it is like one of d major in ur bascic science module while microbiology is less than a minor.
Please pardon my errors,#was in a hurry while I was typing.
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Mosh1988(m): 9:05am On Aug 22, 2013
I thought Biochem is d answer.....Jux to look at it in all perspective it deal with organic and inorganic living and none living Y MicroBio deals with organism not base on woman at times...
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Titeb(m): 8:54am On Aug 24, 2013
2Awesome: the vast majority of every thing you find in microbiology is about microorganism while biochemistry has got branches like immunology,clinical,industrial,genetics,forensics and molecular.As a matter of fact medicine itself is going the molecular way.You cant study medicine without taking courses in biochemistry. i believe you have your answer
I don't have answers, I came here for help. Pls, you've got to be specific with me.
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Titeb(m): 9:05am On Aug 24, 2013
ayodeji752: example is university of ibadan. UI's biochemistry department is in college of medicine while microb is in science faculty.@op, note dat biochemistry is a course u must take in 200 and 300 level before u write ur MBBS exam. Go for biochem
wow! I think i'm convinced by your comment, thanks for that.
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by spacechuks(m): 9:24am On Aug 24, 2013
motunny: Am an expamle of your question.
Did biochem as my 1st degree nd am in medschool now in caribbean island..microbiology from the name literally deals with microbes while biochem is a broad field of science that study but Living and non-living thing.Just gave a very simple explanation of the two.in USA and Canada and anywhere in the world,recognise both as a premedical degree but prefer biochem,cos u can't do without biochem even in medschool,it is like one of d major in ur bascic science module while microbiology is less than a minor.
.....gud one bro..I m a biochemist too...doin my masters now...I want to do MBBS in the caribbean..can u help me with gud sch ova there lik d one u r currently doin yours...and are caribean univer offering MBBS or MD..(Wats d diff cos in naija,employment is strictly MBBS).I will appreciate bro...spacechuks@yahoo.com
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Titeb(m): 9:31am On Aug 24, 2013
motunny: Am an expamle of your question.
Thanks, good to know someone has passed through what i'm passing through.
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Ladokun12(m): 8:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
Xur
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by motunny: 3:46pm On Sep 03, 2013
Hello spacechuks, sorry have not bn able to reply, I can help you out with your questions (Yes caribbean Med school offers MD and their Great schools. It is a 4years program for som1 like you(with a 1st degree in pure and applied science known as Pre-med over here)you do 2yrs basic science on the island (caribbean island) and the remaining 2yrs which clinical rotations is done in USA,Canada or UK depending on ur choice and ur USMLE result. I'll send you an email to xplain well.
spacechuks: .....gud one bro..I m a biochemist too...doin my masters now...I want to do MBBS in the caribbean..can u help me with gud sch ova there lik d one u r currently doin yours...and are caribean univer offering MBBS or MD..(Wats d diff cos in naija,employment is strictly MBBS).I will appreciate bro...spacechuks@yahoo.com
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Diakpa(m): 2:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
Although I'm a Biochemist, when it comes to job opportunities Microbiology has the advantage, because it is far more diverse and flexible compared to Biochemistry. However, with respect to closeness to Medicine, Biochemistry is ahead of Microbiology, because Biochemistry is an integral part of Medicine. I must say however that both Biochemistry and Microbiology are important in studying Medicine.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by TONYE001(m): 4:07pm On Sep 04, 2013
Biochemistry.

In the MBBS program, at the level of Basic Medical Sciences, Biochemistry, Human Anatomy and Human Physiology are the major courses.

Graduates from both departments (Biochemistry and Microbiology) have almost the same chance of being admitted into the medical school (since they will all start from the second year) but Biochemistry is more of it (Medical Biochemistry for schools with other options).

What is more important is the degree that the student acquires; a minimum of Second Class Upper would soften issues but hey; I' just saying..

Thank you.
Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by spacechuks(m): 6:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
motunny: Hello spacechuks, sorry have not bn able to reply, I can help you out with your questions (Yes caribbean Med school offers MD and their Great schools. It is a 4years program for som1 like you(with a 1st degree in pure and applied science known as Pre-med over here)you do 2yrs basic science on the island (caribbean island) and the remaining 2yrs which clinical rotations is done in USA,Canada or UK depending on ur choice and ur USMLE result. I'll send you an email to xplain well.
thanks a lot,can you please send me more details by email such as good universities,financial implications,chances for scholarships etc.thanks in anticipation as your reply will facilitate my preparations

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry OR Microbiology. by Diakpa(m): 8:55pm On Sep 05, 2013
spacechuks: thanks a lot,can you please send me more details by email such as good universities,financial implications,chances for scholarships etc.thanks in anticipation as your reply will facilitate my preparations
Hey bro, I wish you could do the same for me and send to my email address. Thanks a lot.

(1) (Reply)

Governor Abiodun Renovates Schools In Ogun State (Photos) / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation / Is It Possible TO Graduate From A University Without A Singe Carry Over (C.O)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.