Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:06 PM

Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities (9030 Views)

How Many Years Did You Stay At Home Before Gaining Admission? / Admission Into Nigerian Institute Of Health Technology Is Still On / Direct Entry Admissions Into Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by Cityofdavid(m): 8:36am On Aug 21, 2013
Three Open Secrets of Gaining Admission into Nigerian Universities

It will not be an exaggeration to say that, nowadays, it is more easier to see white cockroaches in the kitchen than to see a student who has gained admission into a nigerian university after a single attempt. Many students have pursued university admission for several years, but have found none. Instead, they ended up getting admission into the hospital due to the hypertension and the heartbreaks which they must have suffered in the cause of seeking admission.

In the light of this, I carried out a personal research, and the findings of my research is all I intend to convey in this article. I have discovered that most of the students who had sought admission for donkey years without getting any, are not neccessarily unintelligent. Most of them are very brillant, but they are analogous to the proverbial Herculean labourer who attempted to fell an Iroko tree with a blunt matchet. The following are the three surest ways of gaining admission into nigerian universities, carefully read them and recommend it to your friends if you consider it worthwhile.

*ACADEMIC COMPETENCE: One of the ways of gaining admission into nigerian universities is through acedemic competence. I define students who are academically comepetent as those who indepentently wrote WAEC, UTME, GCE, NECO, etc themselves and passed irrespective of the number of sittings. If you wrote all your subjects except mathematics by yourself, I will still manage to regard you as academically competent. I love this category of students very well and I feel very unhappy whenever I see them struggling with admission. Well, for students in this category, here is an open secret for you.
Which University did you choose? It is no news that some nigerian universities do not regard merit. For this category of universities, whether you are an Achebe, a Wole Soyinka or an Einstein would not matter. They are interested in your bribe, or presented euphemistically, your carrot. If you try these universities for a century, whether you beat the cut-off or not, they will turn you down till you grow grey hairs. Most state universities in Nigeria are like that, so as a very brilliant student, I will strictly advise that you try federal universities which is more meritocratic. Hey you there, I have not condemned all state universities, my findings have merely revealed that they are less meritocratic than federal universities.

Now that you know the kind of universities you should select, there is another thing I must not fail to tell you--your choice of course. You must be very careful about your preferred course of study. You must understand that courses like Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Dentisty, Accounting, Law and Engineering are highly competitive and the cut-off mark is usually very high. Apart from this, even in the so-called meritocratic universities, these aforementioned courses are usually reserved for the children of the university staffs and other prominent figures in the society. This is why you have to be very careful in selecting these courses as your preferred course of study, so that you don't end up chasing the wind while some of your seconday school mates have already become associate professors. However, you know yourself better than anyone does, if you are near a genius, you can still choose those courses and be meritocratically admitted.

*MONEY: This part concerns students who are either academically vacuous or skeptical about their academic ability. If you hired machineries or wrote your 'O' level exams in special centres, you belong to this category. As a pragmatic writer, I will simply tell you that money as much as merit, can secure admission in some nigerian universities. This is because some universities auction their admission slots, and do not give room for merits. I would have loved to list the universities where you can buy admission like bread but unfortunately, I will not. Yet, I will advise that you try most of the state-owned universities around you or betterstill, try the private-owned universities.

However, you must take some precautions. Perhaps, the most important precaution you should take is that you must wisely bribe the right authorities. There are several smarter people out there who are ready to swindle you out of your money. So you must bribe the right people, and your admission is guaranteed irrespective of your score.

*INFLUENCE: Sometimes in life, money cannot do everything. I would have loved to define influence according to ten American professors of political science, but unfortunately, I hate orotundity. Nevertheless, I shall give a clear example to illustrate influence. Imagine that Aliko Dangote is a bouncer in a night club, how much bribe will you pay him to illegally smuggle you into the club? Absolutely, your money is a waste. Now imagine that you are the cousin to his wife, wouldn't he allow you inside? Certainly, he will eagerly smuggle you inside against all odds. This is what I call influence. It is gold and more potent than money. You can learn more about influence in a political science class.

As far as admission into nigerian universities is concerned, you may get admission via a single telephone call or through a recommendation letter if you are highly influencial. In extreme cases, you may get admission without writing the entrance examinations at all. But, I must not forget to tell you that influence is scarce, but when you have it, you do not require money.

Having exposed the three open secrets of gaining admission into nigerian universities, and the intricacies surrounding them, I will strictly advice that you identify your sharp edge and utilize it to your advantage. On a final note, if you do not have any of the three requirements I listed above, I will advice that you learn a trade and stop wasting your precious time seeking admission into nigerian universities.

Like the page http://facebook.com/thesocialmicroscope for more articles.
Twitter: ademule_david

1 Like

Re: Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by Kunlexic(m): 9:04am On Aug 21, 2013
9ice write up @ OP,keep it up
Re: Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by Cityofdavid(m): 9:07am On Aug 21, 2013
@Kunlexic thanks bro. It's one of those things one must tell our admission seekers.
Re: Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by Deshannel(m): 9:09am On Aug 21, 2013
Well said, you forgot to mention the fact that picking a school that is in your catchment area would give you more advantages + learning how to switch to a course with less cut off when u realize your overall score is not up to your chosen disciplines cut-off mark in that school. I once failed to make Unilag's merit list for Psychology with just two(2) marks. I scored 62 overall while psychology's cut-off was 64. But to my greatest surprise, those with less than my score, who fell within catchment areas where giving admission by preferential treatment ( Lagos: 59, Osun: 60, Ogun: 61). My score was more than enough to secure admission but I was naïve enough not to buy a change of course to other courses my score had dominion over ( and believe me, a lot of courses where available). That's how I lost my 2011 admission.

1 Like

Re: Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by Cityofdavid(m): 9:15am On Aug 21, 2013
Wonderful contribution broda. You have just added another interesting variable, catchment area is very important too.
Re: Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by Jxtmayor(m): 11:07am On Aug 21, 2013
Nice write up @op buh, IMHO the things one must know before gainin admission into the unis, are 1. Accademic competence. 2. Desired institution and 3. Desired course. Dnt study medcine because ur parents wants you to. Or cuz ur frnd want to, and u knw u aren't dat sound academically.

1 Like

Re: Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities by pneumaticos(m): 12:23pm On Nov 21, 2015
Good one op

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News From Abuja On ASSU Strike !!!! / Do You Regret Studied/studying Medicine??? / ASUU Strike : Strike will soon be over despite "walk out" by union Members - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.