Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? (5982 Views)

Please Are These Fixed Games Vendors Real / Why Do Street Vendors Lie About Having Smaller Denominations Of Naira Notes? / Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 10:26am On Aug 22, 2013
Why is it that vendors don't participate in the weekly environmental sanitation?

While other traders are honouring the clean up time,they are busy with their business of selling news papers and separating violent and aggressive free readers who in the cause argument may attempt to exchange blows so as to drive home their points.

Are these vendors above the law?.........#JustAsking#

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by taiocol: 10:39am On Aug 22, 2013
chigodo: separating violent and aggressive free readers who in the cause argument may attempt to exchange blows so as to drive home their points.?.........#JustSAYING#
thats why they ar above the law
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 2:31pm On Aug 22, 2013
;DLol

taiocol: thats why they ar above the law
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by naijacutee(f): 4:19pm On Aug 22, 2013
Nice observation.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Maxymilliano(m): 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2013
Because they are on essential duty ... grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by olumaxi(m): 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
Wel,while coperate individuals r rushn down to work early in d mornin..vendors wil b by d road syd to sel dailies to them..
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by dplomaticVal: 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
tHey perform essential duties, thats wHy they enjoy some sort of immunity
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Mayany(m): 5:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
Just drive or stroll down to their office I guess dey will give u a justified answer abi any vendor man\Gal dey here?
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
They represent the pillar that is holding state. Me and you may never know if not for their input in information dissemination
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by mrking3(m): 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
Probably because Information is Power!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by domack99(m): 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2013
They are one of the few people exempted to carrying out their duties during those restricted ours. I believe this law was passed then when TV stations still open at 4 PM, where there were no internet services and very few people have access to satellite TVs. This seems to be the only way where information can get to the populace. With modernization and globalization now, i think this law need to be review.

Letf to me enviromental days should be cancelled, you will hate Lagos on enviromental days especially during rainy season.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by theoctopus: 6:08pm On Aug 22, 2013
chigodo: Why is it that vendors don't participate in the weekly environmental sanitation?

While other traders are honouring the clean up time,they are busy with their business of selling news papers and separating violent and aggressive free readers who in the cause argument may attempt to exchange blows so as to drive home their points.

What is the weekly environmental sanitation for? Have you ever wondered why the whole place is still dirty even with the so called weekly sanitation exercise. when will they stop this military inspired nonsense. Sanitation is a culture that must be taught to the people, not a military style closure of shops once a week. Go to Ghana and Togo and see if their environment is dirty. They dont do this nonsense called weekly sanitation where people will pack out the dirt in their open gutters and leave them on the road, only for it to be swept back into the gutter before the following week's sanitation exercise. What happened to

1. Dont drop stuff on the road, put them in waste bins. Government dont even provide waste bins on the roads and private companies dont provide bins in front of their premises
2. Dont throw stuff out the window.
3. There should be serious refuse disposal companies who regularly come around to pick up the dirt
4. There should be proper waste disposal equipment in public places like markets

Calabar is a very clean city and they dont need weekly sanitation to make them clean.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by dridowu: 6:09pm On Aug 22, 2013
Ds na jamb question , anyway sha let me ask www.ask.com
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 6:12pm On Aug 22, 2013
Which kind essential duty b d@?....they r busy making dia money bro

Maxymilliano: Because they are on essential duty ... grin
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lol

dridowu: Ds na jamb question , anyway sha let me ask www.ask.com
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 6:15pm On Aug 22, 2013
Maybe because Lagos is far more populated than Cross-River or what do you think?

theoctopus:

What is the weekly environmental sanitation for? Have you ever wondered why the whole place is still dirty even with the so called weekly sanitation exercise. when will they stop this military inspired nonsense. Sanitation is a culture that must be taught to the people, not a military style closure of shops once a week. Go to Ghana and Togo and see if their environment is dirty. They dont do this nonsense called weekly sanitation where people will pack out the dirt in their open gutters and leave them on the road, only for it to be swept back into the gutter before the following week's sanitation exercise. What happened to

1. Dont drop stuff on the road, put them in waste bins. Government dont even provide waste bins on the roads and private companies dont provide bins in front of their premises
3. There should be serious refuse disposal companies who regularly come around to pick up the dirt
4. There should be proper waste disposal equipment in public places like markets

Calabar is a very clean city and they dont need weekly sanitation to make them clean.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 22, 2013
chigodo: Why is it that vendors don't participate in the weekly environmental sanitation?

NL! NL!! NL!!! What has happened to the good old NL embarassed

Nowadays, there are so many dumb questions making FP....

Very soon, some1 wld ask "WHY IS 1+1=2? "

And a FP posting finger happy MOD will post the yeye topic undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 6:16pm On Aug 22, 2013
Good observation there

domack99: They are one of the few people exempted to carrying out their duties during those restricted ours. I believe this law was passed then when TV stations still open at 4 PM, where there were no internet services and very few people have access to satellite TVs. This seems to be the only way where information can get to the populace. With modernization and globalization now, i think this law need to be review.

Let to me enviromental days should be cancelled, you will hate Lagos on enviromental days especially during rainy season.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 6:19pm On Aug 22, 2013
Bro but sometimes we read d news with our mobile phones instead of buying their papers

JudismphD: They represent the pillar that is holding state. Me and you may never know if not for their input in information dissemination
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by theoctopus: 7:09pm On Aug 22, 2013
chigodo: Maybe because Lagos is far more populated than Cross-River or what do you think?

Cleanliness has nothing to do with population. Is new york a dirty city?

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by gendebs(m): 7:30pm On Aug 22, 2013
Op u should ve said newspaper vendor, cos i knw of many vendors that does sanitation.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Olaone1: 7:37pm On Aug 22, 2013
A number of reasons, really:

Politicians are afraid of media houses. Imagine a vendor in a given State going back 'home' with unsold newspapers because of environmental whatever. Publishers/editors will be happy to publish negative report about the governor of the State in question.

Also, most of our politicians are not technology-savvy. They are conservative by action. They don't really believe in social media. Hence, they rely on the 'old-school' approach of news vending for breaking news/events. And, they get this only from vendors.

Besides, our politicians love the convenience/'big-man' style of getting newspapers in traffic. They like the 'big-man' style of reading news items in traffic. Thus, the law makers/enforcers are their customers. So, they are big brothers and their newspaper vendors also are.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by CAPTAIN44: 7:40pm On Aug 22, 2013
cos dey fink wil nt hav access 2 any news durin dat period wch is nt so.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by 3ace(m): 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2013
domack99: Let to me enviromental days should be cancelled, you will hate Lagos on enviromental days especially during rainy season.
But you'll hate it more when dirts are allowed to accumulate for years.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 7:49pm On Aug 22, 2013
I give up!

theoctopus:

Cleanliness has nothing to do with population. Is new york a dirty city?
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2013
I so much agree with the last point,they just love the fact that newspapers are supplied every morning,making out time to read it is another thing entirely.

Ola one: A number of reasons, really:

Politicians are afraid of media houses. Imagine a vendor in a given State going back 'home' with unsold newspapers because of environmental whatever. Publishers/editors will be happy to publish negative report about the governor of the State in question.

Also, most of our politicians are not technology-savvy. They are conservative by action. They don't really believe in social media. Hence, they rely on the 'old-school' approach of news vending for breaking news/events. And, they get this only from vendors.

Besides, our politicians love the convenience/'big-man' style of getting newspapers in traffic. They like the 'big-man' style of reading news items in traffic. Thus, the law makers/enforcers are their customers. So, they are big brothers and their newspaper vendors also are.

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
Noted bro and thanks for the clarification.

gendebs: Op u should ve said newspaper vendor, cos i knw of many vendors that does sanitation.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by chigodo(m): 7:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
Those that reason properly agreed that this observation is worth taking note of,I passed through Sabo in Yaba this morning and I noticed that the market didn't open,everywhere was just dry except the newspaper vendor's stand,so I quickly shared my observation on here for people contribute and you call it a dumb question.......hmmmm,I understand your pains,get creative and your thread will always make the front page.

wise_many2k:

NL! NL!! NL!!! What has happened to the good old NL embarassed

Nowadays, there are so many dumb questions making FP....

Very soon, some1 wld ask "WHY IS 1+1=2? "

And a FP posting finger happy MOD will post the yeye topic undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Audukaya: 8:16pm On Aug 22, 2013
theoctopus:

u hv to know that sme citizens are stubborn u need military style to control them
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by theoctopus: 8:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
Audukaya: u hv to know that sme citizens are stubborn u need military style to control them

So how has it turned out? They have been doing this nonsense for over 25 years now and nothing has changed. Lagos is still a dirty place. Hasnt is occurred to you that it isnt working? Cleanliness is a culture, not a 4 hours a week exercise

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by Oildichotomy(m): 9:00pm On Aug 22, 2013
Please this every thursday weekly sanitation is peculiar to Lagos alone i suppose.
OP,.. I hate the whole idea of closing shops. But for the vendors, my guy leave those guys, it's a rallying point for football and political pundits aka i-sabi-pass-you people. You need to try and join the conversation one of these days.. Nice i tell you..even with those selfish vendors who won't let someone have a touch or glance as if Nairaland/internet no dey again.
Re: Why Don't Vendors Participate In Environmental Sanitation? by supereagle(m): 9:27pm On Aug 22, 2013
It is listed among the essential duties.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opening An Electronics Store / How You Can Start Export Brokerage Business Without Capital / NB Recommends N33 Billion Dividend …links Performance To Cost Leadership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.