Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Bitter Experience Living With Landlords - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bitter Experience Living With Landlords (20245 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Do Tenants Bargain With Landlords To Sell His Rented Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by yemmight(m): 2:33pm On Aug 22, 2013
Have you ever lived in any rented apartment before? When next you seek for an accommodation or a replacement of where you currently occupying, consider a house without Landlord.
I recently secured a-3 bedroom apartment hoping to enjoy a brand new life after living in a mini-flat for years but reverse is the case.
I have a sitting Landlady that monitors every movement (in & out) the premises. Last Saturday, she stopped my technician from installing DSTV. I asked why? Why don’t you tell me before installing DSTV? I was devocalised.

My previous accommodation, no tenant is allowed to use generator and Air-conditioner meanwhile Landlord is on generator.
In my present house, we have got two water tanks, one for three tenants and second meant for building owner and yet we lack constant supply of water. Landlady insisted that she can only pump water for the tenants two times a week. Some of us offered to use our generators to pump but she will always deny us access to the machine. However, she uses her tank to sell water for people around and to cater for the cat fish she’s managing within the compound.

For days, we have stayed in our different flats without access to water meanwhile they have access to water and they sell to outsiders. I was shocked when my wife came back one day telling that the woman demanded for money before she could fetch water outside the gate. I make vow that I will never pay for water in any house I pay rent.

Peeps when seeking for accommodation, ask questions o. Don’t always consider the beauty of the apartment. They are most times deceitful. May God Almighty give us all house of our own.

21 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2013
You could get a small tank for yourself and that way you do not run out of water. Where there are solutions make use of them.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 9:49am On Oct 25, 2013
When you have a landlord/tenant issue I would always advocate a self reflection.

Ask yourself if your expectations are reasonable, are you paying your rent, are you honouring obligations you have agreed to

In your write up

You need to consider

1) Why is the landlord disapproval of your getting a DSTV, does your agreement say you need to let your landlord know, have you disrespected this agreement and your landlord by this disregard. Has the Landlord made provisions for this and in the request that she be informed provide her with an oportunity to show you where this is. Does she have safety concerns and in ensuring that proper wire and equipment is being used such that you dont endanger the lives of other people in the building. Are you encroaching on the space/safety of another tenant in the position that you have decided to install it. I add that most of this equipment emit (radiofrequency) radiation and in your positioning you need to consider this in the light of your safety and that of others.

2) Are you saying that the one tank is insufficient for the 3 tenants or saying that the landlord should get your permission to buy a tank for herself or your permission to run a business selling water or not charge you for water if you come to her business to buy it? . What was the arrangement when you rented; was water inclusive; was your rent inclusive of the PHCN or generator cost of running the water suppy; were you informed of the 2 times a week pumping of water before you took possession? I would add that it would be unreasonable for the landlord to refuse access to the water pump if you have volunteered to use your generator to pump it also, from my experience, I have yet to meet with a tenant who volunteer this. The other part of the question is who pays for the PHCN bill with regards to the water; is it central or the Landlord pays hence the limit and are you able to negotiate for more.

3) Are you expecting free this free that because you are renting. If you lived in a house that the landlord is not present, would the other tenants have a difficulty with getting you to co-operate and contribute to the smooth running of the house; would this mean that you do not have to honour the terms in your agreement?

4) Are you paying your rent when due or the landlord is not motivated to let somethings go because of this. As an adult are we acting like one, if you need something that will make life settled for you why are you not getting it yourself and expecting someone else to make things just perfect for you at their expense.

5) If you dont enjoy being in a house with a resident landlord then dont. Its a free country.

6) Above all ask a lot of questions before you take/grant a tenancy we all(Tenant and Landlord) deserve a home we can feel at rest in.

10 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gluv01(f): 1:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
No experience coz I'm always the Landlord's daughter who shakes her small booty in front of tenants grin

7 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by shakur4luv(m): 1:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
Yessss i made it 3rd to comment ope ooooo
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by chux4liv(m): 1:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
Yea.. Some Landlords are troublesome while others are nice... My new apartment the Landlady is just peaceful. She doesn't "Pork-nose" when I carry Punnani come house..lol... grin
@ Gluv... If u be my landlady pinkin I for don collect the dividend of my house rent through u oo...hehehehehe

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
Living under a landlord depends on two thing

On whether he's good or bad

Good landlord can help fertilize a healthy relationship between you and him. Some landlords are so good that when one wants to relocate, he feels like crying knowing he may never meet his type again

But some(if not many) are devils in human flesh. They'll so frustrate you, you'll wish for death. Some nag a lot. Sending you letters three months before your rent expires.

Anytime they see you they'll be like "gbenga, I hope say you know say your rent dey expire next three months. Get my money ready. I no wan hear story or else I go evacuate you". They will keep singing the crap into your ears that you'll get frustrated. Some are heartless, won't even give you some weeks to pay before serving a quit notice.. Landlords can be worse than devil sometimes

Anyway, my dad is a landlord... So I've truly never felt the direct negative impact of being a tenant. All my experiences are based on what I see/saw. The years of living in hostels wasn't exactly cruel either cool

4 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by tosodus(m): 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by israel007: 1:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
You harsh gon!!!

Nice points though

gabbytabby: When you have a landlord/tenant issue I would always advocate a self reflection.

Ask yourself if your expectations are reasonable, are you paying your rent, are you honouring obligations you have agreed to

In your write up

You need to consider

1) Why is the landlord disapproval of your getting a DSTV, does your agreement say you need to let your landlord know, have you disrespected this agreement and your landlord by this disregard. Has the Landlord made provisions for this and in the request that she be informed provide her with an oportunity to show you where this is. Does she have safety concerns and in ensuring that proper wire and equipment is being used such that you dont endanger the lives of other people in the building. Are you encroaching on the space of another tenant in the position that you have decided to install it

2) Are you saying that the one tank is insufficient for the 3 tenants or saying that the landlord should get your permission to buy a tank for herself or your permission to run a business selling water or not charge you for water if you come to her business to buy it? . What was the arrangement when you rented; was water inclusive; was your rent inclusive of the PHCN or generator cost of running the water suppy; were you informed of the 2 times a week pumping of water before you took possession? I would add that it would be unreasonable for the landlord to refuse access to the water pump if you have volunteered to use your generator to pump it also, from my experience, I have yet to meet with a tenant who volunteer this. The other part of the question is who pays for the PHCN bill with regards to the water; is it central or the Landlord pays hence the limit and are you able to negotiate for more.

3) Are you expecting free this free that because you are renting. If you lived in a house that the landlord is not present, would the other tenants have a difficulty with getting you to co-operate and contribute to the smooth running of the house; would this mean that you do not have to honour the terms in your agreement?

4) Are you paying your rent when due or the landlord is not motivated to let somethings go because of this. As an adult are we acting like one, if you need something that will make life settled for you why are you not getting it yourself and expecting someone else to make things just perfect for you at their expense.

5) If you dont enjoy being in a house with a resident landlord then dont. Its a free country.

6) Above all ask a lot of questions before you take/grant a tenancy we all(Tenant and Landlord) deserve a home we can feel at rest in.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by annexes: 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Emilo(m): 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
gabbytabby: When you have a landlord/tenant issue I would always advocate a self reflection.

In your write up

You need to consider

1) Why is the landlord disapproval of your getting a DSTV, does your agreement say you need to let your landlord know, have you disrespected this agreement and your landlord by this disregard. Has the Landlord made provisions for this and in the request that she be informed provide her with an oportunity to show you where this is. Does she have safety concerns and in ensuring that proper wire and equipment is being used such that you dont endanger the lives of other people in the building. Are you encroaching on the space of another tenant in the position that you have decided to install it

Abeg people what is this one saying na........

e be like say u never live with landlord dat just carry their frustration on tenants for no just cause.....Abeg park well jooooooorrrrrr

37 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by spade: 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
If the landlord sees you even as much as have a bright future, he begins to encourage you to hook up with one of his daughters.
If you refuse, Oh boy, just get ready for your rent to increase by 350%

Make Nigeria just dare play match the same night wey you wan sleep early. Na his rusty JINLING generator set go dey scatter your head all through the night from upstairs.

And God don punish you the day wey you and your boyz go decide to chillax and throw small party and you no remember reserve small Don Simon for your oga at the top.

grin Anyway, my former landlord was a real guyman. 54 years of age, but he still acts like a homeboy full of his youth, so those are his features I listed there cool

8 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by chaloner(m): 1:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
Even if I drop a tear , what will I gain in givin answers?
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Afam4eva(m): 1:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
It's suicidal to live in the same compound as your landlord or landlady. I laugh when Nigerians say the government are suppressing the citizens of Nigeria, i laugh because, the ordinary citizens can be worse when they find themselves in a position no matter how small. I remember going to one of my friend's house and noticed they didn't have light and asked him why he couldn't get a generator and he said his landlord said no one should use a gen and he has a gen of his own and i'm like WTF? Never you move into a compound where the landlord also lives even if the agent tells you that the landlord is a nice person.

9 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
Living 2geda wit ur landlord/landlady is nt sumtin good, especially if ur landlord is d typ dat use 2 complain alot. I once lived wit a landlord dat complaind alot, he will complained about d clothe a tenant put on, he will complained abt d aroma of ur food, he will complained abt d way u walked. Bliv me living wit dat typ of landlord is like a hell

5 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by saintgwizard(m): 1:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mine was during my NYSC, I lived in a one room face me I face with the landlady living in same compound. It was hell!!

Every morning, this woman will match me out to wash the toilet and compound while his son will be sleeping.

The day she noticed I had a laptop, she increased my electricity bill by 200%.

When I want to use the toilet, she wakes to monitor how much water I used to wash the place, the next thing is a shout that I want to fill the suck away pit.

Come back anything after 9pm and u will sleep outside.

The list is endless.

Presently I will never stay in a house the landlord lives in the same city.

7 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by OluwaseunTemmy(f): 1:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
No be small problem landlady dey cos for house if u dey leave wit them oooo.
For an example, my landlady she no get work than to shout everyday, if small children dey play @ the front of the house, she go send them away. The best thing is that we should kip praying to God to build our own house for us.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by obilu10001: 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
Very funny, house na prison, na waooo, guy, alele... Look 4 some where else to lay ur head.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by mjay(m): 1:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
Every tenant is a potential landlord. Do unto others ... most tenants are hmmmm. Av vowed never to have tenants without lawyers involved.

4 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by mysticgal(f): 1:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
am a lanlords daughter,but i hear about people who still give stupid conditions to tenants like the ops landlady,you can leave if you want to
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by kambili999(f): 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
saintgwizard: Mine was during my NYSC, I lived in a one room face me I face with the landlady living in same compound. It was hell!!

Every morning, this woman will match me out to wash the toilet and compound while his son will be sleeping.

The day she noticed I had a laptop, she increased my electricity bill by 200%.

When I want to use the toilet, she wakes to monitor how much water I used to wash the place, the next thing is a shout that I want to fill the suck away pit.

Come back anything after 9pm and u will sleep outside.

The list is endless.

Presently I will never stay in a house the landlord lives in the same city.
that woman needs help

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
What happened to breaking the landlords head? By the way in the agreement was all these things stated cause if not go and hang your dtsv, the least he could do is to refund you and you look for another house.

In-fact make I no talk, but no landlord fit stop me from hanging my dstv nor using generator unless he will provide 247 power supply and it is written in the signed agreement.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by fflamingo(m): 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mine was during my national diploma.
The woman turned fighter almost frustrated my life with all sort of problem. But trust STUDENT I showed her pepper too.
She once lock the door, during Nig vs spain match, that ordinary incidence broke the dread lock I closed the door from behind and went out.
She woke up the next morning on discoverin have lock the door from the front door.
All hell were let loose as I receive my packing order.......

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ITbomb(m): 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
I ve no bitter experiences, my Landlord's daughter is wonderful.
He even give me bonanza , pay two years and get 3 months free
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
gluv01: No experience coz I'm always the Landlord's daughter who shakes her small booty in front of tenants grin

grin grin grin grin. I fit come rent holiday room for ur papa huz

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by jayAjoku(m): 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
never had such an experience..... My dad is my landlord .does that count ? ;Dnever had such an experience..... My dad is my landlord .does that count ?
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Boss13: 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some landlord can be really wicked. I have made up my mind not to stay in a premises where the landlord is, even if the place is heaven.

Same thing is applicable to me. My tenant will not live in the same house with me.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by 3ace(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
Afam4eva: It's suicidal to live in the same compound as your landlord or landlady. I laugh when Nigerians say the government are suppressing the citizens of Nigeria, i laugh because, the ordinary citizens can be worse when they find themselves in a position no matter how small. I remember going to one of my friend's house and noticed they didn't have light and asked him why he couldn't get a generator and he said his landlord said no one should use a gen and he has a gen of his own and i'm like WTF? Never you move into a compound where the landlord also lives even if the agent tells you that the landlord is a nice person.
It's not all Landlords. My Landlady is not troublesome and she doesn't give any form of restriction. The only rule that she wants me to abide by is to always clean my surrounding which to me is not going overboard. I have been staying in the house since 2010 and we have never quarreled for once.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
My landlady lives about three houses away from mine, but this woman and are children are really troublesome!
She starts screaming from the gate for everyone to know she's around and one of my neighbor almost beat beat once.
They spoiled all my electronics with illegal connection of new neighbor light embarassed embarassed
I've also invited my brothers to beat up her son and threaten to lock them up if they try any mess with me again.
Never will i rent an apartment with landlady/landlord in the same area as mine not to talk living in thesame house.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by LajaLaba: 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
gluv01: No experience coz I'm always the Landlord's daughter who shakes her small booty in front of tenants grin
Abeg vacancy no dey?

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Sike(m): 1:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rumour has it that it's always a Problem when Landlord and tenants live together. So Deal with it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sani-Gwarzo Blames EndSARS Protest, COVID-19 For Rising Cement Prices / Affordable House Wiring / Construction Of A 4bedroom Duplex With A Bq@ Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.