Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government (51738 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Jonathan Says No More Negotiation With ASUU / FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by rossete2020(f): 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2013
God wit us
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by bodee(m): 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2013
Montaque: wow.the comments so far portray a failed educational system which the Government and ASUU shares the blame.l wish it is us the students that are demanding better educational system.
yea, you are correct and your English is also in support of that

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by alons: 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2013
Can one pls remind me my REG number
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by olaolaking: 11:22pm On Aug 22, 2013
FRESH AIR EVERYWHERE. CIRCULATING FROM......... TO...........
SORRY, I ACTUALLY MEAN FRESH BREEZE OR FRESH BLOW. EITHER OF THE 2
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by fabby26(m): 11:24pm On Aug 22, 2013
immaq8: I.T continues till further notice cheesy

Yes o....IT continues o my bro...i feel like making this IT a permanent work o....O boy to work sweet o. And they(lectures) keep on making learning boring. Now I am having the industrial training experience. I don't feel like going back o
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by flexshop(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2013
eddiebruk:

I hope someday you will get a Government Job and be underpaid so that you will know what it means to get the standard of education that gave you the Job without getting the necessary salary, compared to what the senators share annually who should earn more...?

Sharrap you celebrated go!at? What salary? Is there any law stopping those greedy ASUU people who want dia retirement age extended to infinity from contesting for senatorial seat? No just mak me vex this night gan

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 22, 2013
oses4u: my dear, Pls don't generalize these lecturers for d unethical deeds of some. We have some lecturers dat are very hard working and give their students the best and after such hard labor, the FG keep owing allowance upon allowance. Its wrong. Learn to fight for ur right. for these country to move forward, some persons must sacrifices their time, and all. For the students @home pls find sumtin doing like tailoring, hairdressing, computer operators/engineers, baking etc.
Dude, if really we are to fight for our right as you rightly suggested, I think our starting point should be the lecturers who have decided to frustrate and bring our learning to zero by their actions and inactions.
Those demi-gods who lord over our understanding and what grade we graduate with.
That must be the base if we really want to fight for our right. The same right they deny us they want to be overdosed with by the government. Hypocrites!
Mind you when I generalize, I do that with the central theme of the union, which is also from the majority view.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by kilmix: 11:30pm On Aug 22, 2013
Nelson Mandela 4rm prison 2 president. Obasanjo frm prison to president.. Theodore Orji frm prison to Gov.... Omisore Iyiola frm prison to senator... Al mustapha frm prison to Brigadier General...This prison is better dan University oooo......Pls 4get ASUU strike, try go prison who knows weda you can b Local Govt Chairman...=)) =)) pls tink it wisely.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by emmymdk: 11:31pm On Aug 22, 2013
Will be going to my oga house this Sunday with my dad to sign agreement... Wan start trading
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by dazzy4real(m): 11:31pm On Aug 22, 2013
eddiebruk:

I hope someday you will get a Government Job and be underpaid so that you will know what it means to get the standard of education that gave you the Job without getting the necessary salary, compared to what the senators share annually who should earn more...?

Pls dt dude is right these lecturers are greedy, they don't work n dey wanna get paid in my skul all d lectures bhave like God, carrying tittle on their head as if they were born with it. They so annoy me! Dey re greedy bastards exception of d few good ones d rest can go to hell! Dayumm

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by DexxyAlebs(m): 11:38pm On Aug 22, 2013
ASUU strike; The write up was done by Mr Oreofe Williams (Awo Jesu) a lecturer in OOU ago iwoye.
http://boladealebiosu..in/2013/08/ASUU-strike_17.html
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Gideon1010(m): 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2013
Ha ha!, this one dom pas na wa, 9ja hw many miles to graceland?, my people no were is safe. This reminds me when i was a studnt, 1 full year i sat at home doing nthn as a result of strike, so studnts tak heart n jst pray u dnt sit at home for 2year because i sense smthn lik that.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by flexshop(m): 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2013
The aim of unionism in this country is being defeated by petty politics. This unwarranted strikes will have a spiral effect on the economy. This is why I dislike jonathans government.You people talking about politicians forget that wages and the monies these politicians steal are two different case scenarios.whilst corruption may be stopped,you can't stop wages. These politicians are few whereas workers in the government pay are many.Maybe we should raise minimum wage to N2million,by the way, senators take home is more than that.we have lost direction in this country both the leaders and followers.It is an employer that should determined a wage, discuss with the employee,if the employee is not satisfied,he can stop working or reject the offer. One day when oil prices will fall,our eyes will open in this country.today ASUU and NMA, tomorrow NLC and PENGASSAN.as long as FG continues subsiding to frivolous demands from even gala sellers association,every tom joystick and harry will demand for something.every association should shut down and the nation will implode.Rubb!sh angry angry angry angry
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by favouryemmy: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2013
Justosaus: selfish lecturers. Gambling with the future of nigerians because of allowances

1. The lecturers are not selfish.
2. It's not them that's gambling with the students', it is the FG.

Observe what has been happening since the commencement of the strike and you'll know who's at fault. The issue of allowance came up to tackle brain drain; a condition where lecturers emigrate to other countries to lecture due to several issues such as remuneration and the like. Why should we keep losing our best brains to other countries? If our lecturers are well paid like in other African countries (Nigerian lecturers are among the lowest paid even in Africa), they would not be tempted to leave for those countries. I tell you this has been happening for a very long time and should not be allowed to continue.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Sajio(m): 11:43pm On Aug 22, 2013
I think ASUU is try †̥ politicise this whole thin.. If they don't want †̥ negotiate anymore,better..... then Gej should apply Obj's Rule, "No Work No pay" cos all the fights is @d students detriments but if stop their pay! Good, den we'll know how serious they are and how long they can go on strike without pay.. And I would also advice ppl †̥ stop this comparison btween lecturer and Senators Salaries! Politics is free and Open for everybody,d lecturers can give it a try..! Everybody must not b a footballer/politician or work in a oil company... Where ever u find urself, just put in ur best! This lecturers are just being greedy cos they're not facing any hazard or trets.. Instead na dem dey oppress students! Let the will of God be Done......!
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by sobastical: 11:44pm On Aug 22, 2013
Oh God have mercy on this country its becoming something else... Please I really need a job, am to do my IT too but all the same I need a job you can PM me or text me on 08186083337
Thanks.

Tired of ASUU & FG saga
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nomski0(f): 11:44pm On Aug 22, 2013
When my friends told me i'll spend 8-9 years in med college, i didnt believe, but with the way ASUU is striking here and there, i've accepted my fate. A whole decade in school. Ok o. God is watching.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by dejijohns(m): 11:46pm On Aug 22, 2013
Ustec: 10k God unilorin no get problem with ASUU,..on d oda news;cant blieve what ma eyes saw yestnyt,never new alliens exist...dea spaceship was about landing wen dey tookoff again...d light 4rm it made d whole place as bright like in d day time and den went dark after dey left...evrybdy in ma area wea so scared...never seen such in ma whole life...only in sci-fi movies thou..!
Na Unity rd U dey stay bah??
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by flexshop(m): 11:50pm On Aug 22, 2013
favouryemmy:

1. The lecturers are not selfish.
2. It's not them that's gambling with the students', it is the FG.

Observe what has been happening since the commencement of the strike and you'll know who's at fault. The issue of allowance came up to tackle brain drain; a condition where lecturers emigrate to other countries to lecture due to several issues such as remuneration and the like. Why should we keep losing our best brains to other countries? If our lecturers are well paid like in other African countries (Nigerian lecturers are among the lowest paid even in Africa), they would not be tempted to leave for those countries. I tell you this has been happening for a very long time and should not be allowed to continue.

Oh save the petty nuggets of wisdom man, what demands? Didn't you read the full script of the so called demand? The straw that broke the camels back was the retirement age extension: so our teeming youth will be unemployed while the go to classrooms on wheelchair abi na the federal funding of state varsities: why d heck is it a state varsity den? Make una no provoke me............infact jonathan WAKA for listening to ASUU
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by galadee(m): 11:52pm On Aug 22, 2013
i bet with my private jet, this ASUU don't have human feelings
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Agimor(m): 12:04am On Aug 23, 2013
To all my foreign friends who have been asking for the meaning of ASUU STRIKE : ASUU STRIKE is an annual festival that takes place in Nigeria Universities. The festival sometimes lasts up to a year or even more. During this period, students are not allowed to go to school so that they won't see the ASUU ghosts and masquerades..
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by bodejohn(m): 12:04am On Aug 23, 2013
With the benefit of hindsight, I think the problem of wage dispute in recent times started with the obnoxious furniture allowance that federal legislators received in the early days of the fourth republic.

All the industrial unions since 1999 have sighted the outragious renumeration of politicians as one of the reasons why they are demanding for a better life. A lecturer on tv some couple of days ago put the annual revenue of the federal government from oil alone at about 16trillion naira.

Having said that, the labour unions and indeed the entire Nigerian populace are always selfish. A selfish legislator wants a pay check higher than the US president, a selfish lecturer wants to be paid like an elected governor, a selfish student just want to graduate and go into the labour market and a selfish me uses free internet to type this because i am not a student and do not yet have a kid in the university.

Our course as a nation will change when we begin to demand accountability and responsiveness from elected officials and leaders everywhere including our family, community and even places of worship.

Workers all over the world are constantly demanding a better pay to live a better life but how about ensuring that some of the pleasures that we really crave for are provided by the organs of government that are consistutionally enpowered to do so?

If we had good roads, affordable and well funded schools and hospitals, power supply and other ammenities, how many members of the workers in the unions will join a strike action?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by daylae(m): 12:14am On Aug 23, 2013
undecided
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by oluwamikkie: 12:21am On Aug 23, 2013
eddiebruk:

Wen will u start to fight for general interst of d country? only to fight for urslves alone.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by favouryemmy: 12:21am On Aug 23, 2013
flexshop:

Oh save the petty nuggets of wisdom man, what demands? Didn't you read the full script of the so called demand? The straw that broke the camels back was the retirement age extension: so our teeming youth will be unemployed while the go to classrooms on wheelchair abi na the federal funding of state varsities: why d heck is it a state varsity den? Make una no provoke me............infact jonathan WAKA for listening to ASUU

You didn't read what I typed very well. The bone of contention is the allowances and I merely typed the reason behind it's inclusion. Well, since you've decided to talk about the 70 years issue, which has been resolved, I will tell you that the reason is simply because, when lecturers retire several usually still work as contract staff because they are not tired. And since the institutions find it hard to replace them, hence the decision. Universities usually find it difficult to replace lecturers in higher cadres when they retire. Yes they do. The reason being that those that could fill that gap are already in some other university and leaving also creates a gap. Then ASUU decided that why not give them a longer time before they retire so as to train more people with their vast knowledge and when they eventually retire, more people would have benefitted from their training. I think it makes sense. I tell you, Nigerian universities are not having adequate lecturers, with the thousands of students they have. The ratio of lecturers to students should be between 1:12 to 1:20 or thereabout but in some universities, there's is about ratio 1:100. So we don't have adequate lecturers in several Nigerian universities.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by igbsam(m): 12:22am On Aug 23, 2013
These are the people behind ASUU strike. We need to use our prayer striking force to launch a massive attack on them.

This is a battle that must be won. They might have won the war, but we must win the battle grin

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by trendytrendz: 12:41am On Aug 23, 2013
Justosaus: selfish lecturers. Gambling with the future of nigerians because of allowances
of what use is fighting for huge allowance when the students still won't hear you? The truth is I don't know who is more greedy ASUU or fg, the so called lecturers have lost passion fo teaching, I'm in a lecture hall and there are 250 students and the lecturer is talking to himself, no public address system, that money they are fighting for will be more useful if they use it for infrastructure and equipment to aid teaching and better the environment and upgrade our syllabus!!! Nigerian curriculum is so far behind..too much emphasis on reading an less on practising and we keep pushing half baked students out every year.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by oluwamikkie: 12:46am On Aug 23, 2013
Only God would save d students from d hands of this evil people call Leturers. They av finish their own schools now facing their own futures, but they don't want other people finish as well. All is because their own children are not schooling in this country.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 23, 2013
I DONT GIVE A DAMN! Enjoy d foul air till 2015!
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by shrimati(m): 1:10am On Aug 23, 2013
Though our govt has failed us in every aspects, not only in education alone but ASUU is not helping @ all. ASUU has used this means to fight govt b4,but where are we now? Go and check our various campuses you will see that most of them aint doing their work yet they get paid for teaching students cods wallop. Most of lecturers are corrupt, producing sub standard texts in the name of hand outs and force students to pay at a high price for these books. Check diff car parks in schs, u will see the kind of cars they use. ASUU never try to tackle this, but who can blame them, when our law makers are one of the highest paid in the world where an average nigeria live on less than 1 pound, yet they make stupid laws. The Unesco standard on what a govt should spend on education shd be 26% of a country's budget but over the years we are alws around 6 to 7 percent. Ghana spend btw 28 to 40 percent on education. Their education is stn to write home about, b4 anybody give me the bullshit that Ghana once closed their schs for 1 year to help education; We have closed ours too for months but what happened? ASUU shd be ready to pay some sacrifices, let fight bad governance together not cos of some selfish reasons.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by tellwisdom: 1:11am On Aug 23, 2013
I keep hearing Asun! Asun!....Who is Asun?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by glizengem(f): 1:15am On Aug 23, 2013
2 fink d@ av 4gotten w@ a pen luks lyk, not 2 talk of remembering my handwriting#mind made up... I want do business my remaining fees will sure start me a gud business#anamachikwanu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

300 Level UNICAL Student Dies In Her Sleep / See How University Girls Get Their Daily Bread / 19 Everyday Things We Never Knew Had A Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.