Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,823 members, 7,802,630 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Google in Yoruba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Google in Yoruba (26533 Views)

Female Regents In Yoruba Land. / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / Google In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google in Yoruba by Seun(m): 12:52am On Aug 24, 2005
Re: Google in Yoruba by joftech(m): 7:07am On Aug 24, 2005
This is a welcome development as it shows that Google recognize Yoruba language, but i don't really know it's usefulness since about 95% of Yoruba people that have access to the WWW can read and write English.

Anyway, thumb-up for those great guys at Googleplex.
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 8:37am On Aug 24, 2005
This is going to be cool. But do we really need that?
Re: Google in Yoruba by Chxta(m): 10:44am On Aug 24, 2005
Google in Hausa would have been a more useful project IMHO.
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 10:54am On Aug 24, 2005
Yeah, because hausa is easier to learn, type write and whatnot. Yoruba has all those crazy ass marks and so many stuffs meaning the same.
Re: Google in Yoruba by Hunter(m): 11:38am On Aug 24, 2005
Well, I beleive you can help google translate it into other languages, so go go go!
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 11:39am On Aug 24, 2005
If they are gonna pay me. Big money, Off i go! wink
Re: Google in Yoruba by DEKING3(m): 1:52pm On Aug 24, 2005
Mennnnnnnnnn this is great. Good job google. At least a Nigerian language is represented on the internet, somehow.
Re: Google in Yoruba by IAH(f): 2:10pm On Aug 24, 2005
Wow! That's so cool! I couldn't believe my eyes at first! cool
Re: Google in Yoruba by NSNA: 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2005
Dats big Time crap!!! dats not yoruba language, no AMI!! no pronunciation mark! undecided laidback Nija’s of Africana’s need to start makin their own inventions.
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 4:27pm On Aug 24, 2005
hausa would have been betetr because less of them speak english. But its nevertheless a great thing. i dont know why so many nigerians are ok if our languages die off
Re: Google in Yoruba by Chxta(m): 4:47pm On Aug 24, 2005
DE-KING:

Mennnnnnnnnn this is great. Good job google. At least a Nigerian language is represented on the internet, somehow.

You ovbiously haven't been here. That is the widest spoken Nigerian language as can be seen here, and IMHO, if we were to adopt an official language from any of Nigeria's indigenous, it should be the one!
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 4:57pm On Aug 24, 2005
I agree. But because of infighting most people wont agree. i love the langauge, but it will feed the stuatus quo where the hausas believe they were born to rule
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 7:16pm On Aug 24, 2005
w00t, i like the hausa bbc. cheesy
Re: Google in Yoruba by WesleyanA(f): 8:48pm On Aug 24, 2005
too bad i can't read it ...
Re: Google in Yoruba by Scorpio(f): 9:25pm On Aug 24, 2005
That's really cool though, but I would've preferred it if it was in pidgin - everyone would be able to relate too. Anyways, glad to know that Nigerian languages are finally coming out.
Re: Google in Yoruba by Chxta(m): 10:31pm On Aug 24, 2005
obong:

I agree. But because of infighting most people wont agree. i love the langauge, but it will feed the stuatus quo where the hausas believe they were born to rule

Actually, it is the Fulani who believe that they are born to rule...
Re: Google in Yoruba by skima(m): 10:50pm On Aug 24, 2005
Great development from the big boys from Google. What else can make an internationalized business? Google has really make yoruba feel that they are relevant in the world.

Though they never finished what could make the developmet relevant. In my search on the page, it showed that you must understand english to make searches. It only give google text in yoruba language not what the user want.

What they need add is to translate the search result to Yoruba language.
Re: Google in Yoruba by WesleyanA(f): 10:51pm On Aug 24, 2005
e-skima, why don't you write to google and volunteer to translate the search results. you can do it. cheesy
Re: Google in Yoruba by skima(m): 10:53pm On Aug 24, 2005
yeah e-wesley. Am a web developer. It is possible. But alot of work.

gbabe!
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 10:58pm On Aug 24, 2005
This is the UN human Rights in Pidgin English.
<snip>
You can get the rest on this link http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/pcm.htm
Re: Google in Yoruba by skima(m): 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2005
To bring message to people through (personalised) that is my dream, i will take it to the next level . Expect it soon. !
Re: Google in Yoruba by Nobody: 1:03am On Aug 25, 2005
i've seen that pidgin english stuff before. neat stuff but very hard to read. pidgin english is a pain in the ass when reading, especially voluminous reading, but its cool all the same to speak and to write in.

what of Google in Igbo? Yoruba, hausa or Igbo all bull rubbish if you ask me, because they don't mix with technology. Google.com carry go jare!
Re: Google in Yoruba by great22(f): 11:22am On Aug 25, 2005
whatever ... it is Google in a Nigerian Language which should bring credit to us. Our ethnicity is strong and should not be underestimated smiley
Re: Google in Yoruba by IAH(f): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2005
Pidgin English isn't hard to read at all. Infact, it makes whatever you are reading more interesting. I think we need a Pidgin English Bible. wink
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:19pm On Aug 25, 2005
IAH, you're right. pidgin is very sweet, reading and speaking. I dont know why anyone would think our langauges dont mix with technology. Now we need google in ibibio
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 2:21pm On Aug 25, 2005
Okay this is getting interesting. Ibibio?? Wh not try Igbira?
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:27pm On Aug 25, 2005
why not all of them. The chinese have made sure all 55 of thier ethnic langaues survive next to thier mani chinese language. same with india
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 2:29pm On Aug 25, 2005
Tell that to google manager. Nigeria has more than 55 languages, that are totaly different from each other (250 languages if i am right). Chinese people speak languages that are almost the same, but different in some ways. Nigerians?? Nahhh, We speak in tongues. grin
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2005
i wrote to the google people to see if they can add ibibio. If you want a certain langauge there, you should perhaps write to them as well.

The chinese langaues are quite different from each other, but they have a standad chinese that we know of (mandarin and cantonese). The chinese are a bunch of different ethnic groups as well that were unified a while ago
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 2:33pm On Aug 25, 2005
I will write them to add ermm, Delta Igbo (it's different from normal igbo).
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:35pm On Aug 25, 2005
i didnt even see igbo on the list of langaues they had. hausa, wolof, swahili were there. they are open to translating every langauge out there. they just need volunteers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Somalian Girls So Beautiful??? / 3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos) / Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.