Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

General New Zealand Student Enquires - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General New Zealand Student Enquires (210037 Views)

New Zealand Student Visa / Australia Or New Zealand Student Visa! / New Zealand Student Visa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by capsule(m): 7:46pm On Dec 22, 2017
Lawprince:

Sir, I just got admitted for PhD in UC and was also offered the UC Doctoral Scholarship with monthly stipends. I'm supposed to resume by March 2018, but I wish to communicate someone who has a better experience before commencing my Visa application. Is there a possibility that we can discuss privately? Thank you.
please what program are you going into for... can I pm you?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by herdeyimikar(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2017
Please Family, Can i be admitted for Masters without either IELTS or TOEFL? Or better still, which institution does not have it as part of the requirements? 07067348185
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 12:25am On Dec 23, 2017
Lawprince:

Sir, I just got admitted for PhD in UC and was also offered the UC Doctoral Scholarship with monthly stipends. I'm supposed to resume by March 2018, but I wish to communicate someone who has a better experience before commencing my Visa application. Is there a possibility that we can discuss privately? Thank you.

Kia ora

Congratulations and welcome to Christchurch

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by abusaibu: 11:38am On Dec 23, 2017
Goodday house, hope once one can pay for one year full tuition and have money for thier living expenses and also have sufficient money in fixed deposit or in bank statement, the visa can be granted and hope is not difficult to get NZ student visa compare to canada? Thank you.

abusaibu@yahoo.com 08055264116
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 24, 2017
capsule:

please what program are you going into for... can I pm you?

I was admitted for PhD in Law. Sure, you can.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 24, 2017
cconcept:

Kia ora

Thank you very much! Regarding the accommodation and cost of living in Christchurch. What would you advice, and how much do you think one will averagely need monthly.

Regards.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by chaiks: 1:05am On Dec 26, 2017
Hello brothers. As we prepare for the next mfat scholarship early 2018, I want to know if there are cheap vocational courses or diploma or certication courses of around 2- 3 new Zealand dollars I can apply for. Then for studies, I just got 6.5 in Ielts test. is that low for new Zealand?

2 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by omoyasobur(m): 7:32pm On Dec 26, 2017
cconcept:

Kia ora

hello house, l just want to know from those on nz scholarship that is there any implication if my arrival to university of canterbury is slightly delayed due to delay in visa processing. orientation programe starts jan 29th, 2018. will my scholarship be withdrawn if i dont resume on or b4 this date?.....Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Collineno: 8:08pm On Dec 26, 2017
Lawprince:

Congratulations please is it the MFAT scholarship you got or which of the scholarships??
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 9:45pm On Dec 26, 2017
omoyasobur:
hello house, l just want to know from those on nz scholarship that is there any implication if my arrival to university of canterbury is slightly delayed due to delay in visa processing. orientation programe starts jan 29th, 2018. will my scholarship be withdrawn if i dont resume on or b4 this date?.....Thanks

Normally, you are to seek an extension of your enrolment date(it must officially start on the first day of each month). The PG office will ask you to get the consent of your supervisor for the new date, then you will forward the consent email to the PG office.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 10:16pm On Dec 26, 2017
Lawprince:

Thank you very much! Regarding the accommodation and cost of living in Christchurch. What would you advice, and how much do you think one will averagely need monthly.

Regards.

Cost of living depends on you.

Accommodation depends on a number of factors - are you coming alone, with spouse and /or children? Rent is paid weekly, as a single person, you should get a room in a shared flat around $100-150/week without utilities(power and internet, you could be lucky to get a place that include all these for the same price). For a start, get a place not far from the university (Ilam, Avonhead, Riccarton, Upper Riccarton, Burnside).

Come with your driver's licence, it will help you move around easily but I will suggest you start with a bike to get a feel of the road code or if you feel confident enough, you can start driving immediately (the prices of cars depend on how "big boy' you want to do from $1000+), any cars
below 20yrs old requires registration and WOF twice a year

There are a lot of popular stores to buy food(Countdown, Pak n Save, etc). Also, from the Indian stores(Yogiji etc) you can get items that are close to Nigerian staples, there is a Nigerian that sells Nigerian foodstuff($$$$$).

Be prepared to work part time alongside your scholarship. The Scholarship is enough for you but if you intend to save and have extra for other activities of life here and back home sq be ready to dig in.

Please if you don't have an Australian transit visa, do not use any airline that will fly through Australia.

There is a Nigerian community, churches(foreign and naija) and mosques.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Gold2017: 12:33am On Dec 27, 2017
Hello guys
Please I need clarification on something.
My Waec certificate has a different date of birth from the Dob on my university transcript.
Please did they ask for Waec certificate during any time of the screening ? Please guys already studying please help as it is already giving me worries.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by omoyasobur(m): 7:17am On Dec 27, 2017
cconcept:

Normally, you are to seek an extension of your enrolment date(it must officially start on the first day of each month). The PG office will ask you to get the consent of your supervisor for the new date, then you will forward the consent email to the PG office.

Thank you so much sir, but i dont have a supervisor, i only have a primary advisor for now. Can my advisor help in such situation.? thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by omoyasobur(m): 7:36am On Dec 27, 2017
cconcept:

i dont need a supervisor because m studying a masters course not thesis, thats y i am asking if my advisor can help. thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Nobody: 6:56am On Dec 28, 2017
cconcept:

Cost of living depends on you.

Accommodation depends on a number of factors - are you coming alone, with spouse and /or children? Rent is paid weekly, as a single person, you should get a room in a shared flat around $100-150/week without utilities(power and internet, you could be lucky to get a place that include all these for the same price). For a start, get a place not far from the university (Ilam, Avonhead, Riccarton, Upper Riccarton, Burnside).

Come with your driver's licence, it will help you move around easily but I will suggest you start with a bike to get a feel of the road code or if you feel confident enough, you can start driving immediately (the prices of cars depend on how "big boy' you want to do from $1000+), any cars
below 20yrs old requires registration and WOF twice a year

There are a lot of popular stores to buy food(Countdown, Pak n Save, etc). Also, from the Indian stores(Yogiji etc) you can get items that are close to Nigerian staples, there is a Nigerian that sells Nigerian foodstuff($$$$$).

Be prepared to work part time alongside your scholarship. The Scholarship is enough for you but if you intend to save and have extra for other activities of life here and back home sq be ready to dig in.

Please if you don't have an Australian transit visa, do not use any airline that will fly through Australia.

There is a Nigerian community, churches(foreign and naija) and mosques.

Thanks very much for the helpful information.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Collineno: 10:54am On Dec 30, 2017
Good day great people.
Please is there anyone who is studying at AUT?
How expensive is it to get an accommodation in Auckland as a student.
Is it preferrable to move around in the city with their bus/train or is it better to buy a car? How easy is it to get a part time job in Auckland??
Any info to make life easy while studying there will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 03, 2018
Collineno:

Congratulations please is it the MFAT scholarship you got or which of the scholarships??

Thank you. No. I got the University of Canterbury Doctoral Scholarship.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2018
Dear all,

I intend to commence my Study Visa application soon. However, I discovered that I am required to show evidence of a Return Ticket or that I can purchase ticket to leave New Zealand (Onward Travel). Since it is impossible to purchase a return ticket now against the next three or four years when I will be done with my course, can the evidence of UC Doctoral Scholarship which includes monthly stipends satisfy this requirement? Alternatively, If you habe recently applied for a study visa to NZ, kindly tell how you fulfilled this condition. Thank you.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2018
Lawprince:
Dear all,

I intend to commence my Study Visa application soon. However, I discovered that I am required to show evidence of a Return Ticket or that I can purchase ticket to leave New Zealand (Onward Travel). Since it is impossible to purchase a return ticket now against the next three or four years when I will be done with my course, can the evidence of UC Doctoral Scholarship which includes monthly stipends satisfy this requirement? Alternatively, If you habe recently applied for a study visa to NZ, kindly tell how you fulfilled this condition. Thank you.

Oga Law, congrats on your admission.
Relax, it is not that difficult. What you need to show is evidence of scholarship, your own bank statement showing you have at least $1000-1500(i will suggest you don't totally rely on the scholarship documentation alone as pof). That is why most applicant show $16500..the pof is $15,000 but you add the extra to cater for the return flight part.

If you are working.... I advise you add all your employment documentation, and possibly an evidence of you returning to the work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Delvindy: 6:28am On Jan 08, 2018
cconcept:

Oga Law, congrats on your admission.
Relax, it is not that difficult. What you need to show is evidence of scholarship, your own bank statement showing you have at least $1000-1500(i will suggest you don't totally rely on the scholarship documentation alone as pof). That is why most applicant show $16500..the pof is $15,000 but you add the extra to cater for the return flight part.

If you are working.... I advise you add all your employment documentation, and possibly an evidence of you returning to the work.

Wow! This is helpful.
But I have submitted my visa application already.
For onward travel, I just attached the scholarship letter.
Even though I am working, my parents will be sponsoring my flight ticket.
I am about opening a dom account today though, maybe I'll move cash there and keep incase they require stronger evidence. I hope it is not too late.
I am so anxious about this visa thing, I pray the process will be smooth.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by KaysDelight: 10:14am On Jan 08, 2018
Delvindy:

Wow! This is helpful.
I am about opening a dom account today though, maybe I'll move cash there and keep incase they require stronger evidence. I hope it is not too late.

I hope your application is successful. I actually think you should have shown some money in your bank account for outward travel because you do not get hthe stipends until you arrive in NZ. I may be wrong though
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by KaysDelight: 10:17am On Jan 08, 2018
Lawprince:
Dear all,

[quote author=cconcept post=63529567]

Congratulations to you. I am about to start my visa application process as well and I see both our PhD's are in law. I am new to NL so I am yet to figure out how private messaging works. So if you see this before I can get my head around it, then PM me please.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by KaysDelight: 10:39am On Jan 08, 2018
While starting my visa application, I was presented with two options, to either be able to use the online application wherein I would only be able to apply for myself or do a paper application for my husband and I. The issue is, he does not intend to join me permanently as he has a steady job in Nigeria which he is not eager to leave but is happy to travel with me to ease my travel stress and visit from time to time.

My question is, what option is better to choose? Is it better for him to apply for a visitor's visa?

Further, please is there anyone schooling in University of Waikato or have first-hand information that can help with the question below?
What airport in New Zealand would be best or closest to Hamilton (That's where the University is)

Is it OK to rent an apartment from easyroommate.co.nz?

Can anyone provide me with other rental sites?

Many Thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 11:36am On Jan 08, 2018
KaysDelight:
While starting my visa application, I was presented with two options, to either be able to use the online application wherein I would only be able to apply for myself or do a paper application for my husband and I. The issue is, he does not intend to join me permanently as he has a steady job in Nigeria which he is not eager to leave but is happy to travel with me to ease my travel stress and visit from time to time.

My question is, what option is better to choose? Is it better for him to apply for a visitor's visa?

Further, please is there anyone schooling in University of Waikato or have first-hand information that can help with the question below?
What airport in New Zealand would be best or closest to Hamilton (That's where the University is)

Is it OK to rent an apartment from easyroommate.co.nz?

Can anyone provide me with other rental sites?

Many Thanks

Congrats on your admission.

My advice is based on your financial position... Are you self funded or on scholarship?
Apply online for your student visa and let your family do the paper application.
When you apply online and you have received an acknowledgement, let your family do a paper application and do a covering letter to say you would like the application to be processed along side yours.

His application will be placed on hold till you get yours because it is dependent on you getting a visa. If you are denied, he is automatically denied!

There is no need for him to apply for visitor visa. He will need to apply for "Partner of Student Work Visa" valid for the same length of time of the visa you have. He doesn't have to leave his job but can visit you at any time using the work visa.

If you are on scholarship, INZ may give you a total of 4years visa at once, if you are self funded, you will get 1 year visa which you will have to renew every year.

Don't use easyroom to get accommodation while outside the country.Many of the NZ accommodation websites might not even allow you to register because of your ip address. I believe your university might have temporary accommodation. Contact the school to ask about such. When you land, then you can have a feel of the environment and make an informed decision using Trademe and co,

There are a couple of Nigerians in Hamilton. There is no need to worry so much about which airport to land. Either make your booking directly from airline sites or through an agent.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 11:38am On Jan 08, 2018
Delvindy:

Wow! This is helpful.

Congrats.
Does your scholarship cover your tuition and living expenses?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by omoyasobur(m): 12:53pm On Jan 08, 2018
cconcept:

Congrats.
hello, please as a partner to a new zealand aid student, applying through partnership based temporary application, what can he or she submit as prove of bona fide, will property and family bond be enough to prove this cos presently the partner in question has no job. Please what else can be done if job is important as bona fide for a partner. Thanks.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 1:07pm On Jan 08, 2018
omoyasobur:

I don't seem to understand what you are asking
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by omoyasobur(m): 1:31pm On Jan 08, 2018
cconcept:

I don't seem to understand what you are asking
alright sir, this is the situation.......i am a partner to a new zealand aid student. And its part of the scholarship benefit i can go to new zealand with the scholar and ill be granted work visa provided i meet immigration requirement. I want to know what prove i can submit to show im bona fide. I have a property, family bond also but i hv no job. Will they reqire me to have a job before they can grant me the visa? Or will the family bond and property be enough to prove bona fide? Thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2018
omoyasobur:
alright sir, this is the situation.......i am a partner to a new zealand aid student. And its part of the scholarship benefit i can go to new zealand with the scholar and ill be granted work visa provided i meet immigration requirement. I want to know what prove i can submit to show im bona fide. I have a property, family bond also but i hv no job. Will they reqire me to have a job before they can grant me the visa? Or will the family bond and property be enough to prove bona fide? Thanks

Oh Okay...
As at the last time I checked(there might have been an update,but at the moment I have not checked..please reconfirm),you or your partner will need to show $4,200 as evidence of funds. Also,you and your partner will need to provide evidence your relationship is genuine(marriage certificate is not enough)...evidences such as marriage certificate,pictures of wedding,naming,vacation together,child birth certificates(if you have children), joint bank statement,tenancy agreement in both names,utility bills(waste collection bills,power bills),joint ownership of properties--must show names, some even add facebook page grabs..these are the ones I can easily remember now

plus the usual requirements of meeting health and character standards...

You need to be thorough..INZ is very strict with visas that deals with relationships... Some applications even involve interview

Please Note: "Just sharing information, none of my comments are to be construed as immigration advice"
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Collineno: 6:08pm On Jan 08, 2018
cconcept:

Oh Okay...
As at the last time I checked(there might have been an update,but at the moment I have not checked..please reconfirm),you or your partner will need to show $4,200 as evidence of funds. Also,you and your partner will need to provide evidence your relationship is genuine(marriage certificate is not enough)...evidences such as marriage certificate,pictures of wedding,naming,vacation together,child birth certificates(if you have children), joint bank statement,tenancy agreement in both names,utility bills(waste collection bills,power bills),joint ownership of properties--must show names, some even add facebook page grabs..these are the ones I can easily remember now

plus the usual requirements of meeting health and character standards...

You need to be thorough..INZ is very strict with visas that deals with relationships... Some applications even involve interview

Please Note: "Just sharing information, none of my comments are to be construed as immigration advice"
Please do you know any Nigerian studying at AUT? I need to ask some questions regarding the accommodation there.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 6:50pm On Jan 08, 2018
Collineno:

Please do you know any Nigerian studying at AUT? I need to ask some questions regarding the accommodation there.
Thanks

No.
I don't know much about the North Island.
Use google to search for naijakiwis website.
Contact the Nigeria association for more information.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Delvindy: 7:42pm On Jan 08, 2018
cconcept:

Congrats.

Yes it does.

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (51) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada-part2 / On Vacation: New York City / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.