Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister (8764 Views)

Massive Fraud In Nigeria N117billion Rice Import Quota Scheme - Premuim Times / BREAKING NEWS!!! Tension In Owerri As Local Attack Hausa(photos) / Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ochejoseph(m): 5:48pm On Aug 24, 2013
Nigerian Minister of National Planning, Dr Shamsdeen Usman has disclosed that with the upsurge in the local production of rice in Nigeria, the custom revenue often generated from the importation of the staple food has dropped to about 50 percent.

Shamsdeen made the disclosure in Lagos yesterday at a joint press briefing organised by the ministry and Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) ahead of 19th Nigerian Economic Summit slated for Abuja in September 2013.

According to the minister, the transformation effort of the current administration has been yielding positive result especially in agricultural sector to the point that rice importation which used to be a common phenomenon has indeed dropped drastically.

“The transformation agenda of the present administration has yielded lots of positive results in the area of agriculture. In fact the area of rice production, there has been drastic reduction in its importation. There are even fears that the revenue being generated by custom from the importation has drastically reduced by 50 percent.
This is a fact you can cross-check from the banks and the Central Bank of Nigeria. They are the ones monitoring it,” Shamsdeen said.

The Federal Government had prior to this time set 2014 deadline in the importation of rice as it insisted that the nation has the capacity to produce the staple food in abundance without importing from other countries.
Dr Shamsdeen added that already, agriculture has contributed 40 percent to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product between 2011 and 2012.

http://weeklytrust.com.ng/index.php/new-news/13772-50-percent-of-custom-revenue-drops-due-to-local-rice-production-shamsdeen-usman
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 24, 2013
Great! But how are we sure smuggling is not increasing and slowing the intended benefits of the policy

9 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by nig2change: 6:38pm On Aug 24, 2013
Anyone who says the government is not working needs to hug transformer for transformation to occur in his/her life. This is unprecedented.

4 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by gramci: 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2013
Where are the evil men of nairaland?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by fyneguy: 6:56pm On Aug 24, 2013
Go to Daleko and see if local rice is more than imported

2 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 24, 2013
fyneguy: Go to Daleko and see if local rice is more than imported
That is even my worry. It seems smuggling is increasing and the customs are not doing enough. Most of the challenges now are coming from the largely incompetent security architecture due to decades of quota system. From Boko Haram, oil theft, smuggling, kidnappings,etc the story is the same. Lapses, lapses and incompetence everywhere. Though the army and police have improved a bit but they all still have a very long way to go, especially the police, customs, immigration, navy and prisons.

5 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Pukkah: 7:52pm On Aug 24, 2013
Why would a Minister talk in such a general and nebulous terms like this on a subject that's this important?

Why would a Minister choose not to quote figures but would rather have me check with the banks or CBN?

I want this policy to succeed but the Minister shouldn't sell us a dummy the way someone said the Ministry of Solid Minerals had employed a whopping 2 million people.

This Minister or another one should tell us in specific terms:

1. When the implementation of this good policy started.

2. The locations of the rice farms/mills.

3. How the government has supported the farms to achieve results.

4. The number of metric tonnes that have been produced and the year(s).

5. The exact decline in Customs revenue and to compensate for this, the (estimated) number of people that have been employed by the farms.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that what the Minister appears to have relied on - reduction in rice importation - is not a sufficient reason to conclude that there is an 'upsurge in local production of rice'. For example, have people found other substitutes? Have importers started evading duties? Etc

33 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ochejoseph(m): 8:07pm On Aug 24, 2013
Under the former Nigerian Grains Board (NGRB),
there were three (3) Rice Mills in the country.
One located at Badeggi and the other two located
at Sokoto and Makurdi respectively. Out of the
three Mills, Badeggi Rice Processing Company
Limited appeared to be the biggest in terms of
supportive facilities and it is the only surviving
gigantic modern rice mill in the country today.
The company, Badeggi Rice Processing Company
has an installed capacity for processing 120
metric tons of paddy rice per day on three shifts
of 8 hours per shift per day. Assuming a full
production for a minimum of 150 days a year the
Mill would be capable of processing 18,000.00
metric tons of paddy rice and create employment
opportunities for about 150 workers.

www.deanshangerproject.com/?page_id=276

2 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Kairoseki77: 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Great! But how are we sure smuggling is not increasing and slowing the intended benefits of the policy

The transformation in rice production is real. I have seen some of these new farms myself. Massive benefit to our economy, for reasons I'll get into later. I'll be back with more info soon. Have some stuff to do.

To give some hints to someone who wants to do the work for me. Nigeria is both one of the top 20 producers in rice in the world (around #17), but we are also the #2 largest importer of rice in the world. Importation of rice destroys our foreign exchange, and is purely out of neglect and incompetence. Nigeria is one of the few places in the world where rice farmers can get three harvests a year, instead of the usual one, or two.

7 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by plaindealer: 8:13pm On Aug 24, 2013
Must these useless jokers insult us with their dishonest rubbish all the time.....? Coming from a minister too.?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ochejoseph(m): 8:14pm On Aug 24, 2013
Pukkah: Why would a Minister talk in such a general and nebulous terms like this on a subject that's this important.

Why would a Minister choose not to quote figures but would rather have me check with the banks or CBN?

I want this policy to succeed but the Minister shouldn't sell us a dummy the way someone said the Ministry of Solid Minerals had employed a whopping 2 million people.

2. The locations of the rice farms.

5. The exact decline in Customs revenue and to compensate for this, the (estimated) number of people that have been employed by the farms.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that what the Minister appears to have relied on - reduction in rice importation - is not a sufficient reason to conclude that there is an 'upsurge in local production of rice'. For example, have people found other substitutes? Have importers started evading duties? Etc
By Chibuzor Emejor
Correspondent, Abuja
Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Akinwumi Adesina, said the newly introduced
programme tagged, “Double-up Paddy
Production Programme,” designed to grow rice in
the dry season in 10 Northern States of Nigeria
has injected N77 billion into the economy.
Speaking at the 2013 Ministerial Platform at the
weekend in Abuja, Adesina said dry season rice
farming, which is the first of its kind in the
history of Nigeria, has added over one million
metric tonnes of irrigated rice to the domestic
production.
He said dry season rice farming supported about
268,000 farmers, as 264,000 hectares of land were
cultivated within the season across 10 states in
northern Nigeria.
“It added over one million metric tonnes of rice
to domestic production. It has also injected
N77billion into the economy and increased the
incomes of farmers by N32 billion in 10 states
across the north-west, north-east and north
Central geo-political zones.
“In terms of job creation, 460,000 jobs were
created.”
While giving the mid-term report of his ministry
and achievements recorded, the minister said
Abuja provided massive support for the
cultivation of dry season irrigated rice across.
He added that farmers in ten leading rice
producing States of Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara,
Katsina, Kano, Jigawa, Bauchi, Gombe, Niger and
Kogi, received free 50kg of seeds, two bags of
NPK fertilizer and one bag of urea.
He noted that farmers were also assisted with
water pumps to bring water into their fields, and
that the results of the initiative have been
groundbreaking.
Adesina said a total paddy production for
2012/2013 farming season is estimated at
1,760,364 metric tonnes.

www.dailyindependentnig.com/2013/06/dry-season-rice-farming-injects-n77b-into-nigerian-economy-adesina/

4 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ochejoseph(m): 8:19pm On Aug 24, 2013
Jalingo
An American farmer, Calvin Burgess of Guthrie,
Oklahoma, owner of Dominion Rice and
Integrated Farms Limited, is set to begin a large
scale mechanised rice farming in Taraba State
beginning this year's farming season.
Calvin, who is an experienced American rice
farmer, had last year acquired massive farmland
of about 30, 000 hectares to begin mechanised
rice farming in the low land part of the state,
close to Rivers Benue and Taraba.
Permanent Secretary in the Taraba State
Ministry of Agriculture, Ifaimu Irimiya Kifasi
gave the hint after an inspection tour to the farm
located in Gassol Local Government Area of the
state to ascertain the level of preparation for full
farming activities in the place.
He expressed optimism that with the level of
preparations he saw at the farm, full farming
activities will begin at the farm by this year's
farming season, adding, "His intention was to
start the farm this January but for the delay in
clearing some of his farm equipment at the
port," he said.
According to him, about nine truck loads of farm
machineries have already been brought to the
farm while others are still awaiting clearance at
the port, saying construction of farm houses are
ongoing at the farm preparatory to the
commencement of full farming activities, adding
that the state and the nation at large stand to
benefit maximally once the farm becomes
operational.
Mr Irimiya pledged the support and
commitment of the Taraba State government in
ensuring that the large scale rice farming
investment becomes a success in the state.
He said that the state government has awarded
contract for construction of the road stretch
leading to the Dominion Rice and Integrated
Farms to guarantee easy access to the farm.
On his part, the Emir of Gassol, Alhaji Idris
Ciroma said the farm will boost the economic
activities of the community as well as empower
people in the area, promising to meet with the
state's acting governor, Alhaji Garba Umar to
discuss with him on how to ensure the farm
becomes a huge success.
He said over 30 visitors have come to the
community which has been hitherto relatively
unknown as a result of the presence of the farm
in the area.
It would be recalled that the Federal
Government through the Federal Ministry of
Agriculture and Rural Development had last year
in Abuja, signed a Memorandum of
Understanding (MoU) with Taraba State
Government and Dominion Rice Integrated
Farms Limited on the proposed 30,000 hectares
rice project in the State.
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural
Development, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina in a
release issued Abuja by his Chief Press Secretary
(CPS), Mr. Haruna Mathew then said the MoU
was a culmination of investment drive in the
Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA), by
directly building on Mr. President's
Transformation Agenda.
"Adjacent to Taraba River, the rice project will
be fully irrigated and capable of producing 2.4
crop cycles per year. This farm, when completed,
will require up to 15,000 well trained men and
women working daily. Approximately 90 per
cent of the land will be operated with contract
farmers with the remainder utilised as a
corporate farm and for educational training
purposes by the lead investor, Dominion Farms,"
the statement read in part.
Approximately 300,000 tonnes of rice will be
produced annually for the Nigerian marketplace,
which now imports as much as 2 million tonnes
of rice annually, thereby offsetting 15 per cent of
imports, the release added.
Dominion Rice and Integrated Farms is the sister
company of Dominion Farms Limited of Kenya,
where it is the largest producer of rice in that
nation. This is a fully integrated farm which
begins with high quality certified seed
production, production of crops, all the way
through to processing and marketing of the final
products including packaged milled rice, cereals,
and animal feeds. The products are expected to
meet global standards.

m.allafrica.com/stories/201302200771.html/

3 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ochejoseph(m): 8:22pm On Aug 24, 2013
Kogi State Government said on Sunday it has
begun the harvest of rice in commercial quantity
at its Ukomi site in Lokoja, according to
a statement.
The statement made available to newsmen stated
that in view of the harvest at the 1,500 hectare
farm, all flood plains would soon be converted to
a rice farm.
It quoted Governor Idris Wada as saying that the
harvest had marked the beginning of the end of
Nigeria’s dependence on imported
rice. “Government would take advantage of the
vast land along the rivers Niger and Benue to
engage unemployed youths in rice farming.
``The government will soon purchase farming
equipment and address issues of land ownership
and other challenges facing the project,'' Wada
was quoted as saying.
According to the governor, the state government,
in partnership with some investors, will soon
establish rice mills in the state, while branded
rice from the farm will in no time flood markets
in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 24, 2013
fyneguy: Go to Daleko and see if local rice is more than imported
them wann fool us again 200 million mumu things
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 24, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That is even my worry. It seems smuggling is increasing and the customs are not doing enough. Most of the challenges now are coming from the largely incompetent security architecture due to decades of quota system. From Boko Haram, oil theft, smuggling, kidnappings,etc the story is the same. Lapses, lapses and incompetence everywhere. Though the army and police have improved a bit but they all still have a very long way to go, especially the police, customs, immigration, navy and prisons.
I like your objectivity here, though I have seen rice mills here and there, truth is that I can seen to find any of this local rice in the main markets. Btw I still believe this agric minister is a failure and the government itself is not interest in agriculture, the budget alone speaks volume.

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ochejoseph(m): 9:51pm On Aug 24, 2013
Obiagelli:
them wann fool us again 200 million mumu things
Oby oby ooooooby how many times did I call u .okay seriously
I won't mind paying yr bills to visit a mega rice Farm in Kebbi,kogi or Taraba ! May be u will refrain my antagonism . Happy Sunday in Advance

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2013
ochejoseph:
Oby oby ooooooby how many times did I call u .okay seriously
I won't mind paying yr bills to visit a mega rice Farm in Kebbi,kogi or Taraba ! May be u will refrain my antagonism . Happy Sunday in Advance
Sir, sir, sirrr i don't dispute your claim but to say 50% due to local rice production is just pushing it. I would believe when I see them in the markets.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Pukkah: 11:40pm On Aug 24, 2013
ochejoseph:
He added that farmers in ten leading rice
producing States of Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara,
Katsina, Kano, Jigawa, Bauchi, Gombe, Niger and
Kogi, received free 50kg of seeds, two bags of
NPK fertilizer and one bag of urea.
He noted that farmers were also assisted with
water pumps to bring water into their fields, and
that the results of the initiative have been
groundbreaking.
Adesina said a total paddy production for
2012/2013 farming season is estimated at
1,760,364 metric tonnes.

www.dailyindependentnig.com/2013/06/dry-season-rice-farming-injects-n77b-into-nigerian-economy-adesina/

Nice references I must admit.

But does the market show that 50% of rice supply is 'Made In Nigeria' and not Thailand?

You see, talk is cheap and government officials have been known to make bogus and false claims.

Where is the 50% rice in the market?

If a whopping 50% of imported rice has been replaced by home grown rice, the market must feel it in so many ways. Can we have just one of these many ways other than government sources?

4 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Willgates(m): 10:29am On Aug 25, 2013
it should drop by 90% sef...

who needs rice when u ve got ijebu garri?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 25, 2013
Where is this nigerian rice milled, packaged stored distributed and sold?

How is it branded?

there is no way there will be a 50% drop in rice importation without nigerians seeing the local rice in the market.

The rice must exist on paper , like jonas 4000mw

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by owolabifunke14(f): 10:36am On Aug 25, 2013
Are the local rice stone free? I've not tasted a local rice since 2002
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Boscojugunu(m): 10:37am On Aug 25, 2013
government silly propaganda. where is d rice

2 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by vladimiros: 10:39am On Aug 25, 2013
APC BOYS.. WHERE ART THOU, WHY HAST THOU, FORSAKETH ME IN MINE DARKEST OF HOURS?

3 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by collynzo2(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2013
If it will take a ban on rice importation and another Dangote monopoly for rice to be locally produced, so be it! I served in a rice producing area of Kwara state, the only rice mill they have there has been closed for years, they go through difficulties processing the rice locally to an even manageable standard. If a businessman like Dangote can set up a mill there and buy harvested rice from farmers, the farmers will be inspired to produce more and make money for their families, youths of that village will be able to get employment working in the mill, transporters will make a living exporting rice to other parts of the country from that village. A win-win situation.

6 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by ceejayluv(m): 10:54am On Aug 25, 2013
Pukkah: Why would a Minister talk in such a general and nebulous terms like this on a subject that's this important.

2. The locations of the rice farms/mills.

In other words,,he pulled the figures out of his a$s...
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by alphaconde(m): 10:55am On Aug 25, 2013
owolabifunke14: Are the local rice stone free? I've not tasted a local rice since 2002
I enjoy local rice, especially how I chew it with care so I might not crack a pebble. Since its from nigeria and for nigerians I just enjoy it. Gods gonna make us bigger and better some day. Amen

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by rodbel(m): 10:57am On Aug 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Great! But how are we sure smuggling is not increasing and slowing the intended benefits of the policy

My thoughts exactly
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 25, 2013
It will not be well with people who join in fooling Nigerians...

Action speaks louder than words... Practical is better than theory. Leave them and one day, God will deal with each and everyone who fool Nigerians.
Pukkah:

Nice references I must admit.

But does the market show that 50% of rice supply is 'Made In Nigeria' and not Thailand?

You see, talk is cheap and government officials have been known to make bogus and false claims.

Where is the 50% rice in the market?

If a whopping 50% of imported rice has been replaced by home grown rice, the market must feel it in so many ways. Can we have just one of these many ways other than government sources?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by anonimi: 11:03am On Aug 25, 2013
I am aware that there is a lot of work going on for improved local rice production.
However the 50% drop in rice import claim AT THIS TIME is total rubbish and senseless propaganda that does more harm than good to the supposed beneficiary.
I hope Shamsideen gets a long query for this damaging & embarrassing statement that MAY have been made to undermine the FGN.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by eightsin(m): 11:04am On Aug 25, 2013
Hopefully, d ordinary citizenry will benefit frm dis. Up GEJ. Loq.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 25, 2013
Thanks and God bless you...

All this fools shall be paid back in their own coins.
collynzo2: If it will take a ban on rice importation and another Dangote monopoly for rice to be locally produced, so be it! I served in a rice producing area of Kwara state, the only rice mill they have there has been closed for years, they go through difficulties processing the rice locally to an even manageable standard. If a businessman like Dangote can set up a mill there and buy harvested rice from farmers, the farmers will be inspired to produce more and make money for their families, youths of that village will be able to get employment working in the mill, transporters will make a living exporting rice to other parts of the country from that village. A win-win situation.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by tsleazy(m): 11:09am On Aug 25, 2013
first page things....ma go pee on transformer

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obiano Recommends Death Sentence For Fake Drug Peddlers, Says It's Evil / INEC Names 116 Domestic Groups, 28 Foreign Bodies As 2019 Election Observers / CAN Tells FG To Do More To Reduce Hunger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.