Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,853 members, 7,806,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts (70090 Views)

Benefits Of Tiger Nut. / Something Special About Tiger Nuts (aki Hausa) / Health Benefit Of Tiger Nuts Popularly Known As (Aya, Ofio) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by annybliss(f): 7:20am On Aug 25, 2013
A lot of people eat the tiger-nut without knowing the health benefits. Chufa is a grass-like plant of the Trans-Saharan Island. It has cylindrical tubers of several species of black, brown and gold of 20 inches in height, lance-shaped leaves small spikes of green flowers. It is a native of the Mediterranean region and widely used in Spain where it is call “HORCHATA” and mostly used as juice to enhance the intestines.

Today, chufa is widely used all over Africa, the tuber called ‘nut’ is unearthed in winter and summer; distributed and commercialized all over the world. Chufa is rich in fibre, has 20-30 per cent tiger-nut oil which is nourishing to the epidermis, nullifies hard-knots in the stomach and acts as a coolant to hot flushes associated with premature menopause. The high fibre content of the chufa makes it a wonderful colon evacuator and cleanser.

Medicinal Benefits of the Tiger Nuts

1. It prevent constipation.

2. It has necessary essential minerals; calcium, magnesium and iron necessary for bones, tissues repairs, muscles and the blood stream.

3. It contains enough protein and carbohydrates

4. Chufa contains a good quantity of vitamin B1 which assists in balancing the central nervous system and helps to encourage the body to adapt to stress.

5. It supplies the body with enough quantity of Vitamin E, very essential for fertility in both men and women.

6. It is excellent for colitis and assists proper digestion. In China, chufa juice is used as a liver tonic, heart stimulant, drank to heal serious stomach pain, to promote normal menstruation, to heal mouth and gum ulcers, use in Ayurvedic medicines and is a powerful aphrodisiac (sexual stimulant).

7. The black specie of the tiger nut is an excellent medicine for breast lumps and cancer (any type of internal canceration and inflammations). It can be used as eye compress and to bandage wounds.

8. Tiger nuts give a heating and drying action to the digestive system in general and this gives it the potency to alleviate flatulence.

9. Chufa promotes the production of urine, this is why it is a preventive measure for cyst, prostrate, hernia, rectum deformation and prolapsed (anal feature-small painful flesh and the tip of the anus) and to prevent endometriosis or fibrosis as well as blockage of the tip of the fallopian tube.

How to make Tiger-Nut Juice

Procedure

Fetch 180g of dried tiger nut, 1 liter of water and one lemon rind; sort out all rotten nuts and other unwanted objects.
Wash chufa and soak for 24 hours, change the water 2-3 times to avoid smelling, drain well and blend in your blender.

Blend it with a rind of lemon, add half of the water and allow to stand for 20 minutes - sieve with a neat cloth twice, bottle and serve cold you can add molasses and a cinnamon stick.

Chufa is cholesterol free but contains 2.9 grams of sodium, so, it should be eaten in moderation by the blood group ‘O’s. nursing mothers should eat a lot of tiger nuts for enough production of their breast milk to satisfy their babies.
Visit www.treasurezone..com for more articles

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by dominique(f): 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2013
interesting. used to munch it a lot during my younger years but not anymore, thought i've outgrown it embarassed

thanks for this op
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by kennyonthrone(m): 4:04pm On Aug 26, 2013
D'poster above me nawa 4 u oo u chop witch mtchewww anyway shaa 2nd 2 ......
SO na AKI HAUSA una d'kal Tiger nut lol i dn learn new English 2day
Abeg mk una no vex wetin kum b Lion nut

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by ugotuf(m): 4:05pm On Aug 26, 2013
NA OFIO BE THAT

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by 1shortblackboy: 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
na hausa groundnut dem dey call tiger nuts ? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2013
I bet the op doesn't know why it's called tiger nut.. undecided
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Freiburger(m): 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
na ofio una dey call tiger nut,i eat am die when growing up.

4 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
1 shortblackboy: na hausa groundnut dem dey call tiger nuts ? undecided

hahaha.... You are too local for my liking.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by armyofone(m): 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
I love Aya, that's what hausawa call it. Fresh and fried tiger nuts so delish.

3 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2013
Yomieluv: na ofio una dey call tiger nut,i eat am die when growing up.
A teenager trying to behave like an old man... Naija una nor go ever change.
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by adtiezy1(m): 4:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
uhm..sounds interesting..usually thot dis shit was useless to my body....breaking another tigernut *aboki abeg sell me 80 own again* cum join peeps
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Aghagba(f): 4:15pm On Aug 26, 2013
Aww,i luv it,never knew it had health benefits o.
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 26, 2013
Hausa groundnut, brings back so many memories cry
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by bigx(m): 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2013
We call it "Hausa Groundnut"
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Jaywilzee(m): 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2013
Was given a stern warning neva to eat it cos it causes cough...now d oyibos are testifying abt hw medicinal it iz...operation 'devourin tiger nuts activatd'
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by blayz0923: 4:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
spongeback: Hausa groundnut, brings back so many memories cry

not memories dear....I have it with me now...
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Fazhy: 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nut is good for your nut.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Cheks01(f): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
Very interesting op
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Jaywilzee(m): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
Cybertooth: I bet the op doesn't know why it's called tiger nut.. undecided
I bet he does
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by akorlade(m): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
roasted g/nut and aya.Best combo if you did your primary school in the north in the 80s'.
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Datruggedman: 4:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
Am so much exhausted to read diz Text,any way applause to mr writer,front page comment,datruggedman on pointAm so much exhausted to read diz Text,any way applause to mr writer,front page comment,datruggedman on pointAm so much exhausted to read diz Text,any way applause to mr writer,front page comment,datruggedman on point
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by ChiSun27(m): 4:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
Na today I knw d English name of Aku Awusa. I thought is only Hausa people that do produce it oooooo. Never knew its a global stuff. Will start eating it again as much as before.

Thnaks OP.
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by riloxy(m): 4:30pm On Aug 26, 2013
We call it Ofio in yoruba land... grin grin grin
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by pekelepekele(m): 4:36pm On Aug 26, 2013
Is that not ofio ? He don tey when i chop this thing oo
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by jhydebaba(m): 4:44pm On Aug 26, 2013
Na ofio be this now. Chai shocked my grandma (of blessed memory) no sabi book oh. She dey ever beat us anytime she see remnant of ofio inside our pocket cheesy she say the thing dey cause cough cheesy if onlt she knew otherwise tongue
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by MCKULQ(m): 4:46pm On Aug 26, 2013
WHERE DEM SEE TIGER DEY CHOP SOMETHING LIKE DIS ?

DIS THING WEY SABI DIRTY PERSON TEETH.

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 26, 2013
I know it as 'Aya''. I used to eat it in Abuja, NG.
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by 1shortblackboy: 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
Cybertooth:

hahaha.... You are too local for my liking.
a dey take my locality personal o cool
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by mu2sa2: 5:17pm On Aug 26, 2013
Why did we abandon healthy, cheap natural products like this for junk foods? High time to retrace step.

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
Ok. I don hear.
Re: Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts by pri3stess(f): 5:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
I miss this so much, I used be addicted to these when I was still in Naija.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coronavirus Survivor Says Chloroquine Saved His Life / Doctor Removes Huge Fibroids, Warns Nigerian Women. Graphic Photos / Help! My Penis Hole Is Tearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.