Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,140 members, 7,780,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:14 AM

Will You Give Up Your Nationality? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Will You Give Up Your Nationality? (3195 Views)

What Is Your Nationality? / I Want To Change My Nationality / Dual Nationality Nigeria/uk Passport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by ayomifull(f): 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2008
If you live in a country like Germany where dual citizenship is not allowed and you are faced with two options:

1. Keep your green passport and have indefinite stay on it

2. Go to your embassy to swear an oath that you are no longer a Nigerian and replace your green p with German passport.

Which will you choose and why?
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by HRhotness(f): 6:59pm On Jun 11, 2008
As much as i hate nigeria sometimes I can never give up my nationality. . .
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by SeanT21(f): 8:55pm On Jun 11, 2008
No. I will always be a liberian. That is where i was born. I have alot of history there.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 9:03pm On Jun 11, 2008
America does not recognize duals too - but[b] Nigeria does[/b]
So while the country of your current residence might not formally recognize the dual citizenship, Nigeria will. So in essence I don't really see it as "giving up your nationality". Having citizenship at whatever country you are is extremely advantageous. It opens up many doors of opportunity you wouldn't otherwise have. So what's wrong with wanting to succeed and progress? Esp here in america with all the immigration woes.

Just remain patriotic towards your country and represent as a good ambassador is what matters! not a piece of paper that says you're Nigerian.   wink
Cheers!
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Ezinwannem: 9:14pm On Jun 11, 2008
I thought America allows Dual Citizenship but except with Canada
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 9:21pm On Jun 11, 2008
Ezinwannem:

I thought America allows Dual Citizenship but except with Canada
funny u may be right. I just flicked too wiki and it says america does allow dual citizenship. . . hmmm maybe I received funky info. . .
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 11, 2008
I would not want to, I have American citizenship, but not sure if my naija one still works. . .I still have both passport sha

Hmmm. . .but to give up my nationality? na, would not dream of it. . .I love being a nigerian, even if the country is effed up!
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Ezinwannem: 9:23pm On Jun 11, 2008
@4her, America allows dual citizenship except with Canada,
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Ezinwannem: 9:24pm On Jun 11, 2008
@Jesoul, yea, wrong info, lol
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 11, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@4her, America allows dual citizenship except with Canada,
oh ok, thanks. . smiley

JeSoul:

funny u may be right. I just flicked too wiki and it says america does allow dual citizenship. . . hmmm maybe I received funky info. . .

dnt trust wikipedia. , anyboy can modify the information there. . .dnt go there for important documents wink
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 9:28pm On Jun 11, 2008
alright I shall confess. . .

I did have to give up my citizenship when I naturalized  lipsrsealed 

so I didn't get that info from wikipedia  wink
I'm thinking swearing-in requirements might vary from state to state because we were told (or should I say strongly encouraged smiley to turn in our passports from our birth country (which I didn't  wink) and that we were in essence giving up citizenship to our country.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by SeanT21(f): 9:30pm On Jun 11, 2008
JeSoul:

alright I shall confess. . .

I did have to give up my citizenship when I naturalized lipsrsealed

so I didn't get that info from wikipedia wink
I'm thinking swearing-in requirements might vary from state to state because we were told (or should I say strongly encouraged smiley to turn in our passports from our birth country (which I didn't wink) and that we were in essence giving up citizenship to our country.

your heart is still loving Nigeria. so it dont matter.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 9:31pm On Jun 11, 2008
4Her:

I would not want to, I have American citizenship, but not sure if my naija one still works. . .I still have both passport sha

Hmmm. . .but to give up my nationality? na, would not dream of it. . .I love being a nigerian, even if the country is effed up!

of course it works! no be naija we dey talk about?  wink  if not just grease someone at the consulate and you shall be all set!
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 9:32pm On Jun 11, 2008
SeanT21:

your heart is still loving Nigeria. so it don't matter.
  Lol. . . that's what I kept telling/consoling myself the whole time during the swearing-in before the judge n all.  cheesy Naija for life regardless of what a piece of paper says!
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2008
@topic

no i wont,in as much as naija pisses me off sometimes ,i will not give up my nationality cool
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by RThESlyR: 9:38pm On Jun 11, 2008
Will You Give Up Your Nationality?
Sure why not!?
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Ezinwannem: 9:38pm On Jun 11, 2008
hhehe, true ooo, itz just a piss of paper my dear. Even moi that gets visa to visit Nigeria and was told by da Nigerian Embassy official that I aint Naija, deep down inside me, I know I be Naija regardless,  tongue
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 9:42pm On Jun 11, 2008
Ezinwannem:

hhehe, true ooo, itz just a piss of paper my dear. Even moi that gets visa to visit Nigeria and was told by da Nigerian Embassy official that I aint Naija, deep down inside me, I know I be Naija regardless,  tongue
  abi ke. I kept my Nigerian passport so that whenever i get to travel back home I will not be using my american passport to enter the country but as soon as I get back here, switch to the blue one smiley

I hope I'll be able to get away with doing that cheesy
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Ezinwannem: 9:45pm On Jun 11, 2008
yes ofcourse, that what people with dual citizenship does, cheaper sef cuz 4 me 2 apply for a Visa, they require 85 bucks fees, I have 2 take 2 vaccines that coast about 350 den my plane ticket must also be sent to dem with the vaccination proof b4 visa can be issued 2 me, lol, count yourself luckyyyy
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Esss(m): 9:51pm On Jun 11, 2008
HELLS NO

I will remain Naija in peace or war.

Where else in the world can I get such peace of mind??
Where else in the world can I drive 60km/h on a 10km/h road and not get pulled over by the cops??
where else can I eat good quality garri and soup ( and not live on fries).
Where in the world can you fly okada
Where in the world would I get my PHC bole' and fish.
Why would I leave a place where I am King and go to a place where I'm just another Nigger.
Why would you want to switch the beauty of life in Naija for life in Germany.

I know Naija is not perfect (in fact it's screwed up big), but thats what makes it Naija. The bad things that happen in this country is what gives us the unique identity for which we are known the world over.
Why drop my Igbo language for that german crap.
You'll never be a german, nor an American or whatever you call it. You will always be known as an Immigrant, african american, Black community, colored people, Niggers, you know the names. Here you are known only as igbo, yoruba or hausa (Nigerian), not black nigerian, not coloured nigerian, not african nigerian but Nigerian.

Why be tolorated abroad when you are Celebrated at home.

In peace or War, PDP or ANPP, Yaradua or Atiku, I remain Nigerian. PROUDLY NIGERIAN
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 11, 2008
HELLS NO

Where else in the world can I drive 60km/h on a 10km/h road and not get pulled over by the cops??

Why would I leave a place where I am King and go to a place where I'm just another Nigger.

I know Naija is not perfect (in fact it's screwed up big), but thats what makes it Naija. The bad things that happen in this country is what gives us the unique identity for which we are known the world over.
You'll never be a german, nor an American or whatever you call it. You will always be known as an Immigrant, african american, Black community, colored people, Niggers, you know the names. Here you are known only as igbo, yoruba or hausa (Nigerian), not black nigerian, not coloured nigerian, not african nigerian but Nigerian.

In peace or War, PDP or ANPP, Yaradua or Atiku, I remain Nigerian. PROUDLY NIGERIAN

ROTFLMGBO cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy OH GAWD IVE MISSED FLYING OKADA,ive missed my correct ofe oha and ukazi,ive missed my akpu and correct ijebu garri grin grin grin Esss uve said it all,please accept this kisses kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by HRhotness(f): 10:36pm On Jun 11, 2008
Esss:

HELLS NO

Thank you
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by JeSoul(f): 10:53pm On Jun 11, 2008
Ezinwannem:

yes ofcourse, that what people with dual citizenship does, cheaper sef because 4 me 2 apply for a Visa, they require 85 bucks fees, I have 2 take 2 vaccines that coast about 350 den my plane ticket must also be sent to them with the vaccination proof before visa can be issued 2 me, lol, count yourself luckyyyy
  for real and everyday! even just seeing so many of my friends struggling with all this immigration wahala and some having to marry strangers for papers. . .

so you have to take certain vaccines before travelling to naija from canada why now?
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by femigirl(f): 11:44pm On Jun 11, 2008
I will never have to give up being a Nigerian.Since i can never hide with my strong yourba name, lol

I am a naija,a british,a ghanian,a trini, what the hell,I am AFRICAN and proud of it. I am God's people.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Ezinwannem: 12:53am On Jun 12, 2008
@Jesoul, itz not just from Nigeria, from anywhere in the world as far as you r getting a VISA, u need to protect yourself, itz one of the requirements
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by landis(m): 10:23am On Jun 12, 2008
If you live in a country like Germany where dual citizenship is not allowed and you are faced with two options:

This is no longer true for Germany.

grin cheesy grin

Germany is allowing more people to hold dual citizenship thanks to changes in its immigration law. The law chiefly allows citizens from EU member states to keep their old passport if they take on German nationality.

People applying for German citizenship will no longer have to give up their old passports if they come from an EU member state according to a spokeswoman from the German interior ministry.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Gabry(f): 8:13am On Jun 13, 2008
From born, I always think that I'm actually Black and that I am born in the wrong country so yeah. why not?

Its just that if people ask, I have to tell them, do not be fooled by the color of my skin. grin
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by realcool: 10:11am On Jun 13, 2008
see i value my green passport more than any other thing this world.u av respert when u are using your passport more than when u are a Nigerian and you are using any other solour of passport
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by TOH(f): 10:20am On Jun 13, 2008
lol german passport

not even better country, abegi
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by Gabry(f): 10:48am On Jun 13, 2008
I dont know why some people would think that way. You see, I'll tell you now that Black Rules cause otherwise you wont see the Forbes list stating who is the richest and the most successfull in the world Mind you Number 1 is Oprah Winfrey and the few top 10 in the chart is Beyonce Knowles, Jay Z, Will Smith, Tiger Woods and etc etc etc, And they are known to be the TOP TOP TOP!!!
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by ty4real(m): 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2008
With the response I have read so far,I don't think I want to give up my Nigerian root up for any other,Phew didnt realize I love that country so much!Naija ni ile men grin grin grin
Re: Will You Give Up Your Nationality? by ayomifull(f): 3:26pm On Jun 25, 2008
A friend replied to this by saying 'what the f88k do i need Nigerian passport for? What favour can i get in Nigeria by holding it and what favour can i get anywhere in the world with it? Does the country even care about me and what pride is in holding a passport of a country who can never come to your aid in case of any emergancy'

What do you think?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Girl Friend In Britain Is Planning To Send Me An Invite, What Will I Do To Secure Visa And Travel / Qatar Versus Uk @ Justwise. / PLS Help...!germany Vs South Korea...get In Lets Analyse!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.