Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? (9260 Views)

Everyone Want A Site Like Jumia: Why? / Boy, 14, Launches Social-Networking Website / How To Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook Using Wapka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Olive64(m): 5:02am On Aug 28, 2013
Haiii there..... I've got this really great idea of a social network that could earn me millions if brought to reality. The only problem is that i don't know what to do, how to start and where to start from..... All i have is the idea, and i want to build this Social network myself. I need to know a complete list of things that i need to purchase or need to master(learn) before i can successfully build my site..... Webmasters please help!
[NOTE: I am still a novice at webdesign]
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Olive64(m): 5:07am On Aug 28, 2013
And can anyone please help me with the html codes of any 'webpage'(of beautiful sites)...... I need to have an idea of what the whole thing looks like and how the different tags are arranged.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by infobiz9ja(m): 6:28am On Aug 28, 2013
Learn HTML, CSS & website design from sites like w3schools.com & quackit.com after which you can get your hands on some scripts & turn your dream into a reality.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:31am On Aug 28, 2013
@OP, just listen to urself. Stop asking f0olish question. And stop having stup!d idea. U are new to webdesign, u dont know yet how to write a line of html and u are thinking of building a facebook-like social site. Now, u ar asking us to tell u how to go about it and to give u codes of how website look like. I want to assume u are a boy that just finished secondary school or u ar still in SS1.

Look, if u want to be a web developer and u dont know where to begin, then ask us. When start learning web design, nobody will tell u what and what that is behind facebook site. U wil come to know. U cannot put the cart before the horse.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by megajay1(m): 6:35am On Aug 28, 2013
go tru dis thread. I bet u ur dreams will take a u turn to fulfilment. I have a dream like dat too. I was a novice in web designing like u. but after going tru dis thread my dreams ressurected. https://www.nairaland.com/1383359/learn-web-design-live-nairaland
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by megajay1(m): 6:38am On Aug 28, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @OP, just listen to urself. Stop asking f0olish question. And stop having stup!d idea. U are new to webdesign, u dont know yet how to write a line of html and u are thinking of building a facebook-like social site. Now, u ar asking us to tell u how to go about it and to give u codes of how website look like. I want to assume u are a boy that just finished secondary school or u ar still in SS1.

Look, if u want to be a web developer and u dont know where to begin, then ask us. When start learning web design, nobody will tell u what and what that is behind facebook site. U wil come to know. U cannot put the cart before the horse.
my friend, let the boi be, he is just airing out his problems. if u can help him u do and stop making him feel like he is not gonna fulfil his dreams. if u can advice him on wat route to take and be a great web developer u do dat!
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:15am On Aug 28, 2013
^^ Dont be sentimental. There are different ways of advising someone. Dont expect me to always follow one way. Good day.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by worldbest(m): 10:04am On Aug 28, 2013
GraphicsPlus: ^^ Dont be sentimental. There are different ways of advising someone. Dont expect me to always follow one way. Good day.

What kind of human being are you? What do you have against young boys and their dreams? Do you know the amount of knowledge he would get from doing such a project. Seriously, if I were to be a newbie visiting forums and people are this cold I would probably be discouraged from programming ultimately. Seun should probably ban your azs. Most people started programming because they wanted to build "impossible"/irrelevant apps. You don't have to reply posts idiot.

@OP
You need to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript first. Then you would need to learn a server-side language like PHP or learn to use node.js after you must have learned JavaScript. Go to the sites referenced by the other posters to get started.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:14am On Aug 28, 2013
Not true sir. If u know me, u will know that i am even more willing to teach newbie than u ar willing to do same. But i dont always pamper people. sorry. u hav to accept it like that. The op has an idea, which is good. But he failed to ask the appropriate question. And to correct him, i hav to flog him first. It's afta flogging him that i can now draw him closer, wipe his tears and teach him.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by worldbest(m): 10:23am On Aug 28, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Not true sir. If u know me, u will know that i am even more willing to teach newbie than u ar willing to do same. But i dont always pamper people. sorry. u hav to accept it like that. The op has an idea, which is good. But he failed to ask the appropriate question. And to correct him, i hav to flog him first. It's afta flogging him that i can now draw him closer, wipe his tears and teach him.

Just shut up and teach him if you want to. Stop this your crazy e-parenting. Go and have real kids or if you already have some flog them all you like. All I see is an old man bullying young, naïve and helpless people.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:25am On Aug 28, 2013
We dont teach just like that sir. Nobody is moved that he has an idea. Idea is cheap. He has an idea that can make him millions. But he doesnt know:
1. what to do.
2. where to start.
3. how to start.

He doesnt know the above 3 crucial matters, but he knows the idea will make him millions. Does people build applications because it will make them millions?

Again, he wants someone to help him with html codes of any webpage (beautiful sites) so that he will have idea of what the whole thing looks like.

He should start by asking us that he wants to learn web design and that we should tell him where to begin. It's not telling us that he has idea that will make him millions. He figured out that an idea will make him millions, but he did not spend time to figure out, maybe by googling and research how to bring such an idea to reality. That is putting the cart before the horse and it's tantamount to stupidity.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:31am On Aug 28, 2013
worldbest: Just shut up and teach him if you want to. Stop this your crazy e-parenting. Go and have real kids or if you already have some flog them all you like. All I see is an old man bullying young, naïve and helpless people.

This is a forum, a community, a family. So we parent each other. What is parenting? Parenting is an act of teaching or mentoring someone to learn. I have learned a lot from forum members here. Some have also learned from me. Post commenting is not always palatable. We dont always pamper. There are cases like this one that we knock the person's head first before we dish out our advice.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by fatgirl: 12:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
There are many paths you can take to achieve this, but here are is one i recommend
Learn
HTML
CSS
JAVASRIPT
PHP
and c++ for backend (later on)

Here are some i know that are developed by Nigerians from ground:

1. www.lagbook.com- dead (now redirects to www.picrate.me)
2. www.dwitch.com (now Brain tem)

if you want me to create a social network like facebook for you, i'll get it done:

COST:
Development: N50,000
Hosting: N20, 000
Total: N70, 000

Duration: 14 days

Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Ajibel(m): 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2013
Lmaoooo... Graphicplus, I always gbadun ur crude advices doe it hurts lol. I wonder how your personality is off NL
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Olive64(m): 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
Hey everyone...... Thank you all for your help (those that actually helped), it's very much appreciated..... And @GraphicsPlus, i do accept that my post wasn't as structured as it ought to be (i do apologise).... I kinda typed it hurriedly.... And just for the record, of course i know how to write a line of Html (really? what do ya take me for)..... I just got stuck in the aspect of CSS..... I only asked the questions i asked because i needed to know where i was headed, what more there is to know and what sites to make reference to..... So come on, take a chill pill and relax..... cool
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by GraphicsPlus(m): 3:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
Apology accepted. grin grin grin

On a serious note, hear is my advice if you want to learn html, css, javascript and php.
I will encourage you to head straight to: http://www.html.net and learn their tutorials on HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT and PHP. They discussed these languages very well. Download notepad++ at: http://www.notepad-plus-plus.org. This is a wonderful and powerful text editor for Windows. Download it, install it and use it to learn and practice.

If you have good internet connection and you like learning with videos, then watch these wonderful more than 30 videos on html and css titled "30 days to learn html and css" by Jeffrey Ways of http://www.net.tutsplus.com. You can get the videos free at their site: http://freecourses.tutsplus.com/30-days-to-learn-html-and-css. You can even go on to watch more videos on practically any programming language free of charge at: http://www.thenewboston.org. If you like reading ebooks, then go to: http://www.it-ebooks.info and download practically any ebook on any web development language or technology for free.

Remember to practice a lot as you learn. By so doing, you will become a guru in no distant time.

You can also occasionally or always visit: http://www.alistapart.com and read articles and tutorials on some trends going on in this industry.

Goodluck.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Olive64(m): 5:32pm On Aug 28, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Apology accepted. grin grin grin

On a serious note, hear is my advice if you want to learn html, css, javascript and php.
I will encourage you to head straight to: http://www.html.net and learn their tutorials on HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT and PHP. They discussed these languages very well. Download notepad++ at: http://www.notepad-plus-plus.org. This is a wonderful and powerful text editor for Windows. Download it, install it and use it to learn and practice.

If you have good internet connection and you like learning with videos, then watch these wonderful more than 30 videos on html and css titled "30 days to learn html and css" by Jeffrey Ways of http://www.net.tutsplus.com. You can get the videos free at their site: http://freecourses.tutsplus.com/30-days-to-learn-html-and-css. You can even go on to watch more videos on practically any programming language free of charge at: http://www.thenewboston.org. If you like reading ebooks, then go to: http://www.it-ebooks.info and download practically any ebook on any web development language or technology for free.

Remember to practice a lot as you learn. By so doing, you will become a guru in no distant time.

You can also occasionally or always visit: http://www.alistapart.com and read articles and tutorials on some trends going on in this industry.

Goodluck.
Wow! Oh my..... Just what i needed.... Thanks alot for the links you provided.... I am grateful smiley
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Djtm(m): 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
Ajibel: Lmaoooo... Graphicplus, I always gbadun ur crude advices doe it hurts lol. I wonder how your personality is off NL
he'll be a disciplinarian, you'll notice that from the way he handles css and reviews websites. He disciplines code!
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by ejeba(m): 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
@Graphicsplus u've really done well
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by worldbest(m): 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2013
Olive64:
Wow! Oh my..... Just what i needed.... Thanks alot for the links you provided.... I am grateful smiley

Screw you grin After I support you, you still tell am thank you. No let me catch you wink
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Olive64(m): 9:53pm On Aug 28, 2013
worldbest:

Screw you grin After I support you, you still tell am thank you. No let me catch you wink
Hahaha! Guy thanx for your support too ohcheesy grin.... I gotta get back to work then, thanks Ya'll cool
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by teemy(m): 10:26am On Aug 29, 2013
worldbest:
that is graphicsplus for you on honest but also hard truths. just his style. nairaland would be boring if we were all the same grin
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by mrperfect(m): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2013
Search for developers that you can pay for it.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by dinggle: 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
Don't waste your time, before you finish learning how to build a website another Nigerian would have completed a similar project. Get a developer and partner with him/her. Get banks involved and partner with them.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Briz04: 8:29pm On Sep 21, 2013
Helo Graphicplus... I tink u are a vry gud designer and has a lot to offer..bt u nid 2 change few tins abt yourself..few mnth ago, b4 I startd my designing class...I created a thread to ask questions about the duration and things I should expect from my teacher..tanks to ods guyz bt ur reply was so bad..he created a link dat directd me to a page whr u wrote " not possible" and some sily coments.....all I want you to know iz u don't knw pple wu take you as mentor ..b4 dat tym ..I see your comment on almost evry web desingin post I read( sumtymz gud, bt you criticize a lot....I must say) nd I take you as a mentor, a guru and a professional..bt you nid to change few tinz abt urself (advice)...u seems not to encourage newbies(take note)....though your sily comment only made me to push further..tanks to oda guys nw am a gud designer bt stil growing as i get new ideas everyday..tank u
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by sweetiePe(f): 12:22am On Sep 22, 2013
@OP, you can take a look at my social network @ www.rosyside.com and let me know if you like. If yes, I will show how ypu can create something like that easily.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by chrisiyke1(m): 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2014
Learn how to build your own bulksms website today with just N1000 only. You may want to know the numerous benefits attached in getting your own personal bulksms website. Click here

You would also learn how to build complex E-Commerce websites like jumia and konga and Forum websites like nairaland e.t.c all in 30 minutes or less. No programming or web design knowledge is required. Wow! This is really interesting right? YES it is. If you can check your email, chat on facebook. There are so many benefits in getting your shopping and forum website.
E-commerce website

E-commerce website

Many people spend thousands of naira in many computer institutes just to learn how to develop professional websites. But here we have not only given you the privilege to learn how to build professional websites like the most visited websites in Nigeria in 30 min, we have also exposed you to learn how to build both forum and shopping website in our All in one internet business summit package. Remember you don’t need to be a web master to do this, this is the secrets many web designers use to make their monthly millions. In fact many web designers would not like you to know this.
Read More:http://schoolwebng.com/enterprise-solution/
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 29, 2015
GraphicsPlus:
@OP, just listen to urself. Stop asking f0olish question. And stop having stup!d idea. U are new to webdesign, u dont know yet how to write a line of html and u are thinking of building a facebook-like social site. Now, u ar asking us to tell u how to go about it and to give u codes of how website look like. I want to assume u are a boy that just finished secondary school or u ar still in SS1.

Guy u are right, u dmt knw even one languge even starter Lang HTML u didnt master and u are thinking of Developing a site like Facebook. But dont loose your Dream, get a Tutor and i promise you that you will one day Develop that.
Re: How Do I Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook? by ahmedin7(m): 10:34pm On Jun 29, 2015
just log on to www.antech.com.ng and every steps will be highlighted for you with ease.

(1) (Reply)

Cambridge Analytica Shared My Own Data Too, Zuckerberg Says / Is It Possible To Build A World Class Website Without Using CSS?? / Start Mysql In Xampp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.