Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,860 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Is Tithe For Christians? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Tithe For Christians? (5154 Views)

Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? / Is It A Sin If I Spend My Tithe For This Month And Pay Back The Next Month? / Is Tithe Collected Daily, Weekly, Monthly Or Yearly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by SalC: 4:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
macof: pls tell me one or two prophesies in the OT dat was fulfilled in NT with the aid of Bible verses
Am going to give you some quotation but won't post the writings because am posting with a phone.

Isaiah 7v14 fulfilled in Luke 1V26-38.
Micah 5v2 fulfilled in Matt 2v1-10.
Isaiah 40V 3-5 fulfilled in John 1v 23.
Psalm22V 16-18 fulfilled in Mark15 v24 also John19 v24and 25 also33-34.

Hope these few gives you the clue.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by SalC: 4:16pm On Sep 06, 2013
lahchi:

If the Law of the isralites were good and would save sin why would God send His Son to give us another law and bring Christianity to us? Tithe was for the Israelites and not to be paid or observed by Christians even those people who claim to pay tithe don't pay it the way God asked the israelites to pay it. 2 Corinthians 9:6 tells us how to give, I don't seem to understand what you tithers don't seem to understand or is it that you refuse to study your bible and confirm what you are been taught or told? Or is that you just see the person being called the Man of God as a truthfull person without confirming what he tells you to be true? Do not be ignorant of the facts and truth about tithing beacuse you would give account on the last day.
Hope this post was not meant for me because I don't preach tithe. grin
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 06, 2013
lahchi: The bible says "he who has ears let him hear." I am a member of the Church of Christ and am sending my greeting(Romans 16:16) to those who are ready to take the 5 steps (Hear, Believ, Repent, Confess and be Baptised) of salvation and added to the church by the Lord (Acts 2:47).

Heres a clear representation of an african whos mind is conquered by religion!So sad
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 4:22pm On Sep 06, 2013
truthislight:

this is what offering for christians is :

"By him therefore let us offer(offering) the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name." (Hebrews 13:15).

You're wrong , worshiping God is not complete without giving to God . There are different kinds of offerings , our body, our works , our lips etc but they don't take the place of our substance we give in sacrifice .

Philippians 4:18
. . . having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God

Tithing is not for christians just as our lips do the offering instead of using animal.

Tithing is forever . Offerings is forever , prayer is forever,worship is forever because they are kingdom principles. And principles in God are eternal

4 Likes

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by macof(m): 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2013
Sal C: You are getting it wrong. The NT is the fulfilment of OT prophecies, therefore there's nothing wrong with the OT being part of the bible.

The problem arises when preacher decide to cherry-pick the teachings of the OT just to suit themselves.

There's no cherry-pick if u trust the OT as ur holy book follow everything u see in it. If u trust the NT follow everything in it. But I tell u if u drift frm one rule in any of them u have sinned. Know that some rules in both are contradicting, so which do u rather follow? Think my fellow, the OT is the word of God but not a Christianic word of God but a Jewish one.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by macof(m): 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2013
Sal C: You are getting it wrong. The NT is the fulfilment of OT prophecies, therefore there's nothing wrong with the OT being part of the bible.

The problem arises when preacher decide to cherry-pick the teachings of the OT just to suit themselves.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by lahchi: 4:25pm On Sep 06, 2013
macof: This thread just supports my post on "the old testament is not part of christianity" and thank God some people share my view. I thought every so called Christian has been brainwashed. Tithes is of the OT and Christians shouldn't follow, am sure those people who added OT to the Christian Bible weren't even Christians, they must have been Roman pagans who thought everything religious from Israel is all the same. And so called men of God these days are happy to see "pay your tithes and offerings" in the Bible. why did they not request for animal burnt sacrifice? Abi dat one is evil? Since some African religions do dat and they say it's evil. Jesus teaching alone I follow and not Moses or Malachi when am nt a Jew

One of the reason we have the Old Testament is mainly to know the Genealogy of Jesus Christ and make Matt 1:1-17 valid and a proof to us.

Another reason is held in 1 Corinthians 10:6 and 11; "6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted."; "11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come." In conclusion the Old testament was written just as an example to us not for us to practise.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by lahchi: 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

Tithing is forever . Offerings is forever , prayer is forever,worship is forever because they are kingdom principles. And principles in God are eternal
Show me just a simple scripture that entails a detail of the Early Christians paying tithe.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 6:22pm On Sep 06, 2013
lahchi:
Show me just a simple scripture that entails a detail of the Early Christians paying tithe.

Firstly ,tithing was never abolished in the bible , secondly the primary ways the work of ministry was sponsored in he Old Testament was through tithes and offerings . Paul made it clear that similar things should apply in the church .

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Tithing and offerings are Paralell principles which both existed before he law. God reprimanded isreal for not giving him tithes and offerings. God never put an end to the two. You can't say you will give only offerings and not give tithes. If you give offerings without seeing it as obligation under the law ,you should give itches also . And if a man says he won't give an offering to God ,he is really sick.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by macof(m): 6:31pm On Sep 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

Firstly ,tithing was never abolished in the bible , secondly the primary ways the work of ministry was sponsored in he Old Testament was through tithes and offerings . Paul made it clear that similar things should apply in the church .

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Tithing and offerings are Paralell principles which both existed before he law. God reprimanded isreal for not giving him tithes and offerings. God never put an end to the two. You can't say you will give only offerings and not give tithes. If you give offerings without seeing it as obligation under the law ,you should give itches also . And if a man says he won't give an offering to God ,he is really sick.
what am saying is that it's not an obligation. God doesn't force or compel people to do things, he gave us free will. And as such when u feel u have enough to offer to the temple of God and spread of the gospel you give as ur heart desires not by force. It was in OT that tithe was by force. Offerings and free service to the church and continuous evangelism is wat tithe represent in true christianity
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by lahchi: 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

Why did you neglect 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 "But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." Dis doesn't have any form of tithing attached to it, why?

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by SalC: 7:23pm On Sep 06, 2013
macof:

There's no cherry-pick if u trust the OT as ur holy book follow everything u see in it. If u trust the NT follow everything in it. But I tell u if u drift frm one rule in any of them u have sinned. Know that some rules in both are contradicting, so which do u rather follow? Think my fellow, the OT is the word of God but not a Christianic word of God but a Jewish one.
I haven't said anything about rule, I only told you why I'm not against the old testament being part of the bible.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 8:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
macof: pls tell me one or two prophesies in the OT dat was fulfilled in NT with the aid of Bible verses

there many prophesies in the OT that had fulfilment in Jesus christ, in fact, more than thirty.

See, prophesy in OT :

"But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou cool little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." (Micah 5:2).

Fulfilment in NT :

"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem," (Matthew 2:1).

And another prophesy in OT :

"For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me. [/color]They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture." (Psalm 22:16-18).

Fulfillements in NT :

"And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced." (John 19:37).

"Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots." (Luke 23:34).

"And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots." (Matthew 27:35).

And many more.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 8:28pm On Sep 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

You're wrong , worshiping God is not complete without giving to God . There are different kinds of offerings , our body, our works , our lips etc but they don't take the place of our substance we give in sacrifice .

continue telling yours, what you want to hear.

Did i say that christians should not give to God ? No.

Christians give but not in the OT way, but this way :

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Yes, since the christian law is written in the heart of a christian and not on tablets :

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people." (Jeremiah 31:31-33).

Joagbaje:

continue telling yourself what your ears want to hear, i will continue showing to you what the bible says.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 8:59pm On Sep 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

you see your life !

The question was :

lahchi:
Show me just a simple scripture that entails a detail of the Early Christians paying tithe ?

but you post something else.

You see why i call you a fraud ? grin

Are you saying that the early christians and the apostles did not know how the temple work was finance in the OT ?

The OT clearly recorded how the Jews payed their tithes, but the apostles set a different partan for christians that they should give voluntarily, but you twister of the word for selfish reasons said it is tithe that was never asked of early christians.

Keep deceiving yourself.

You better come and show where christians are asked to pay tithe, which was the question that you were asked.

If all christians are to be preachers, who will pay tithe to who ? Dont you know God is wise ?

No wonder you put people in darkness so that you can exploit them.

The command was for all to be disciples and make more disciples.

The Offering is a sacrifice of lips > preaching bringing men to God > fishers of men.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 9:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
macof: what am saying is that it's not an obligation. God doesn't force or compel people to do things, he gave us free will. And as such when u feel u have enough to offer to the temple of God and spread of the gospel you give as ur heart desires not by force. It was in OT that tithe was by force. Offerings and free service to the church and continuous evangelism is wat tithe represent in true christianity

Thank you my friend.

Tell him o ! He is ever learning but never coming to knowledge.

Christians are not to give under compulsion, tithing is compulsion.

But greedy men like eating from other peoples sweat. Smh.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by nora544: 9:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1428661/shedding-light-darkness-tithe

This is a good writing about tithing and it comes from america and it has nothing do do with the bible.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 9:14pm On Sep 06, 2013
lahchi:
Why did you neglect 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 "But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." Dis doesn't have any form of tithing attached to it, why?

cheesy ah !

bros, you dong finish work.

Tell that awuff man to hear o !
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by ogorluv(m): 10:13pm On Sep 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

Tithing is an eternal principle ,just as prayers, almsgiving,offerings, worship, fasting etc. all these kingdom principles have nothing to do with Israel . They are part of Gods kingdom. It preceded the emergence of the nation of isreal. Abraham was not an isrealite .he was the father of faith , He was a tither a. If we are children of Abraham then we ought to follow the faith of Abraham.. God never stoped tithing ,it's an eternal principle .
Correction, Abraham did not tithe his profit, but he gave of the spoils of war and kept nothing for himself. Read your bible so as to understand your faith better.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 11:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
macof: what am saying is that it's not an obligation. God doesn't force or compel people to do things, he gave us free will. And as such when u feel u have enough to offer to the temple of God and spread of the gospel you give as ur heart desires not by force. It was in OT that tithe was by force. Offerings and free service to the church and continuous evangelism is wat tithe represent in true christianity

I never said other wise. God doesn't force us into anything. Tithes or offerings ,even prayers . Everything is according to the revelation and faith of individuals

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 11:13pm On Sep 06, 2013
ogorluv:
Correction, Abraham did not tithe his profit, but he gave of the spoils of war and kept nothing for himself. Read your bible so as to understand your faith better.

The booty was his profit. He did whatever he wanted with it by retuning the booty to the king after he gave his tithe. If you like you can give your tithe and dash the rest away , it's personal choice .

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:29am On Sep 07, 2013
truthislight:

you see your life !

The question was :

Are you saying that the early christians and the apostles did not know how the temple work was finance in the OT ?

The OT clearly recorded how the Jews payed their tithes, but the apostles set a different partan for christians that they should give voluntarily, but you twister of the word for selfish reasons said it is tithe that was never asked of early christians.

Keep deceiving yourself.

You better come and show where christians are asked to pay tithe, which was the question that you were asked.

If all christians are to be preachers, who will pay tithe to who ? Dont you know God is wise ?

The Offering is a sacrifice of lips > preaching bringing men to God > fishers of men.

[b] You sound like you've already had your mind made-up as far as this tithing issue is concerned!

Let me bring this to your knowledge!

You're a seed of Abraham right?
An inheritor of the Abrahamic blessing, not so?
Abraham was the father of faith yet, he paid tithe to Melchizedek king of Salem the priest of The Most High - Genesis 14:18-20.

This happened before The Law;

The Law came through Moses yet tithing remained- Deuteronomy 12:11, Malachi 3:10.

Then came Jesus Christ of whom it was spoken before hand that, "...Thou hath priest forever after the order of Melchizedek!"-Psalm 110:4.

This means that the priesthood of Jesus Christ is forever and it's fashioned after the order of Melchizedek; a ministry of which we are partakers by virtue of Christ in us; remember He's the vine and we are the branches. So, Jesus our High Priest still accept tithes, offerings and seeds because it's a function of His office.

Read Hebrew 7:15-16

But of course, no one is forcing anyone to bring tithes to the church. If you can't bear the thought of having a Pastor eat your tithe then you have no business giving it at all! That thought alone could short-circuit your supply-chain/harvest!

God bless us all! grin [/b]
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 6:50am On Sep 07, 2013
Kenny4lyfe:

You sound like you've already had your mind made-up as far as this tithing issue is concerned!

Let me bring this to your knowledge!

You're a seed of Abraham right?
An inheritor of the Abrahamic blessing, not so?
Abraham was the father of faith yet, he paid tithe to Melchizedek king of Salem the priest of The Most High - Genesis 14:18-20.

This happened before The Law;

The Law came through Moses yet tithing remained- Deuteronomy 12:11, Malachi 3:10.

Then came Jesus Christ of whom it was spoken before hand that, "...Thou hath priest forever after the order of Melchizedek!"-Psalm 110:4.

This means that the priesthood of Jesus Christ is forever and it's fashioned after the order of Melchizedek; a ministry of which we are partakers by virtue of Christ in us; remember He's the vine and we are the branches. So, Jesus our High Priest still accept tithes, offerings and seeds because it's a function of His office.

Read Hebrew 7:15-16

God bless us all! grin

Yeah ! The apostles of christ did not know all that ^ .

That is why they did not collect tithe. Smh.

We should not follow their partan again. You are on your own.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by PastorKun(m): 7:33am On Sep 07, 2013
Joagbaje:

The booty was his profit. He did whatever he wanted with it. If you like you can give your tithe and dash the rest away , it's personal choice .

So you know that Abraham did whatever he wanted with his booty and he wasn't acting based on God's instruction neither was it a religious obligation. So why don't you leave believers to do whatever they like with their income? Why must you lie to them that God demands 10% of their income

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by truthislight: 7:55am On Sep 07, 2013
Pastor Kun:

So you know that Abraham did whatever he wanted with his booty and he wasn't acting based on God's instruction neither was it a religious obligation. So why don't you leave believers to do whatever they like with their income? Why must you lie to them that God demands 10% of their income

^

The best part was :

"what Abraham did was not a religiouse obligation".
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by lahchi: 10:19am On Sep 07, 2013
truthislight:

Keep deceiving yourself.

Did you read my post before commenting on it? Did you read the quote of the person I posted the post to? I was just make him see that tithe was not made for christians and even the early christian never took the pattern because they were were not made up of only jews but also the gentiles, so what were you driving at calling me a fraud when am also against the tithe been paid? You have to check and understand the words of the post you want to comment on before commenting on it, okay?
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 10:44am On Sep 07, 2013
lahchi:

Did you read my post before commenting on it? Did you read the quote of the person I posted the post to? I was just make him see that tithe was not made for christians and even the early christian never took the pattern because they were were not made up of only jews but also the gentiles, so what were you driving at calling me a fraud when am also against the tithe been paid? You have to check and understand the words of the post you want to comment on before commenting on it, okay?

,Best to ignore him. That's what I do cool

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 11:06am On Sep 07, 2013
Pastor Kun:

So you know that Abraham did whatever he wanted with his booty

That was only in the issue of giving back to the king of sodom the booty. Not in the issue of tithe. Tithe is a principle ,and he didnt fail to give God that .

and he wasn't acting based on God's instruction neither was it a religious obligation

That's your own addition

So why don't you leave believers to do whatever they like with their income?

Where have you seen me do otherwise? Believers are free to do what they wish with heat they have , but they will be judged by their deed because they are only stewards . God has a say in what we have . What is ours is his and what is his is ours. The more you mature in God the more you see that your life ,money,time ability is not your own.

Why must you lie to them that God demands 10% of their income

If I tell people the importance of prayer ,is it a lie. Did God demand prayer in the New Testament? It's our yieldedness knowing its a kingdom principle . God didn't command Christians to fast ,or pray , or give. It's a common sense .same applies to tithes and offerings.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 11:09am On Sep 07, 2013
lahchi:
Why did you neglect 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 "But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." Dis doesn't have any form of tithing attached to it, why?

I didn't neglect it. It's not relevant to tithing. That's a different kind of giving. They were contributing for a project. There are different kinds of giving in the bible . Offerings,tithes,alms, projects ,parents,etc we must do them all

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by lahchi: 11:32am On Sep 07, 2013
Joagbaje:

That was only in the issue of giving back to the king of sodom the booty. Not in the issue of tithe. Tithe is a principle ,and he didnt fail to give God that .

But was it a RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLE before the Law was giving to the Isrealites?
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by lahchi: 11:36am On Sep 07, 2013
Joagbaje:

I didn't neglect it. It's not relevant to tithing. That's a different kind of giving. They were contributing for a project. There are different kinds of giving in the bible . Offerings,tithes,alms, projects ,parents,etc we must do them all
Where was is written that it was a project they were contributing for? Don't say things you are not sure of not to put urself into trouble.
Re: Is Tithe For Christians? by Goshen360(m): 11:44am On Sep 07, 2013
Hebrews 7 ENDED TITHE OR TITHING, before or during the law. Go and study Hebrews 7.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

John 1:1 - LOGOS and THEOS / Atheism is Dead : The Logic of God and Everything / Christians- Do You Follow Your Pastors Teachings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.