Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,727 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? (1752 Views)

War Against Boko Haram Politicised — Kukah / Jonathan Replies Obasanjo, Says letter Is Self-Serving, Provocative / ASUU Strike "Politicised"- President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 28, 2013
I learnt this morning that the health workers have called off their 6 days old strike after 2 days negotiations with govt. That is how it ought to be. Negotiations is a give and take thing.

Now that the health workers strike is out of the way, when will the politicised ASUU call off their 2 months old strike? I said politicised strike because the APC leadership have been solidly behind the ASUU strike hundred percent.

Since ASUU is being led by a northerner, and I hate to say it, but one cannot rule out the influence of tribal politics and sentiments in the insistence on continuing with the strike. With the level of HATE towards the govt led by GEJ by SOME people from certain parts of the country, even on NL, anything is possible.

Negotiations cannot be all or NONE, like the current leadership of ASUU have been carrying on. You must give and take. The govt has placed N130billion on the negotiation table. What is ASUU placing on the negotiation table?

If all or none is the way to go, why didnt ASUU continue the strike in 2009 until the Yar Adua govt puts the money he signed with them on the table?

It is the GEJ govt that increased the salary of ASUU members by 52% in 2010 based on the 2009 agreement
http://www.informationng.com/2013/08/fg-cant-afford-ASUU-demands-okonjo-iweala.html

The GEJ govt has also implemented several other parts of that agreement, including increasing the retirement age of some category of lecturers.

The govt position is that some part of the agreement are un-implementable. One would expect a responsible and responsive ASUU to sit with govt and find ways around the difficult parts of the agreement, especially since the govt has shown committment in implementing several parts of the agreement.

In the interest of the students and the education sector, which ASUU claims to be protecting, all parties should bury self-serving interests and primordial sentiments, return to the negotiation table and bring the strike to an end NOW. Otherwise, we will declare WAR on the ASUU president

3 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by AmenOzina: 7:51am On Aug 28, 2013
[quote author=Sincere 9gerian]I learnt this morning that the health workers have called off their 6 days old strike after 2 days negotiations with govt. That is how it ought to be. Negotiation is a give and take thing.

Now that the health workers strike is out of the way, when will the politicised ASUU call off their 2 months old strike? I said politicised strike because the APC has been solidly behind the ASUU strike hundred percent.

Since ASUU is being led by a northerner, I hate to say it, but one cannot rule out the influence of tribal politics and sentiments in the insistence on continuing with the strike. With the level of HATE towards the govt led by GEJ by SOME people from certain parts of the country, even on NL, anything is possible.

Negotiations cannot be all or NONE, like the current leadership of ASUU has been carrying on. You must give and take. The govt has placed N130billion on the negotiation table. What is ASUU placing on the negotiation table?

If all or none is the way to go, why didnt ASUU continue the strike in 2009 until the Yar Adua govt puts the money he signed with them on the table?

It is the GEJ govt that increased the salary of ASUU members by 52% in 2010 based on the 2009 agreement
http://www.informationng.com/2013/08/fg-cant-afford-ASUU-demands-okonjo-iweala.html

The GEJ govt has also implemented several other parts of that agreement, including increasing the retirement age of some category of lecturers.

The govt position is that some part of the agreement are un-implementable. One would expect a responsible and responsive ASUU to sit with govt and find ways around the difficult parts of the agreement, especially since the govt has shown committment in implementing several parts of the agreement.

In the interest of the students and the education sector, which ASUU claims to be protecting, all parties should bury self-serving and primordial sentiments, return to the negotiation table and bring the strike to an end NOW. Otherwise, we will declare WAR on the ASUU president[/quote : they will call it off when they get their share of the excess oil proceeds in which those senators n house of reps swim insad ]
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nerosoft19(m): 8:12am On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I learnt this morning that the health workers have called off their 6 days old strike after 2 days negotiations with govt. That is how it ought to be. Negotiations is a give and take thing.

Now that the health workers strike is out of the way, when will the politicised ASUU call off their 2 months old strike? I said politicised strike because the APC leadership have been solidly behind the ASUU strike hundred percent.

Since ASUU is being led by a northerner, and I hate to say it, but one cannot rule out the influence of tribal politics and sentiments in the insistence on continuing with the strike. With the level of HATE towards the govt led by GEJ by SOME people from certain parts of the country, even on NL, anything is possible.

Negotiations cannot be all or NONE, like the current leadership of ASUU have been carrying on. You must give and take. The govt has placed N130billion on the negotiation table. What is ASUU placing on the negotiation table?

In the interest of the students and the education sector, which ASUU claims to be protecting, all parties should bury self-serving interests and primordial sentiments, return to the negotiation table and bring the strike to an end NOW. Otherwise, we will declare WAR on the ASUU president
101% support

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Zakkyoz: 8:13am On Aug 28, 2013
When will this guy starts reasoning in a rational and objective manner? Will there be strike if your paymasters do the right thing? All ASUU is asking is the implementation of 2009 FG/ASUU agreement. What negotiation are you still talking about when FG was not coerced to sign the agreement in 2009? Stop blaming opposition parties and I sincerely advise that you and your paymaster enagage in OBJECTIVE REASONING for once.

6 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by arcis: 8:14am On Aug 28, 2013
I learnt this morning that the health workers
have called off their 6 days old strike
after 2 days negotiations with govt.
That is how it ought to be. Negotiation
is a give and take thing.
Please your source?

The issues are simple. ASUU had an
agreement with the federal government in
2009 which was not implemented. They
secured an MoU with the federal
government in 2010 through a strike. The
MoU died no sooner than it was birthed.
Now ASUU is up in arms demanding the
implementation of the 2009 accord. The
first reaction of the FG to this latest
agitation backed with a strike was to say,
‘no, we are not aware of any such
agreement since we lately came to
power’! But following this, it has been
instituted a series of ad hoc committees,
first, to search for the agreement that had
never left the dusty shelves of
bureaucracy and, second, to work out a
solution that was not found since 2009.
This entire macabre dance has persisted
because those ruling us may appear
gentle but have not allowed their gentle
actions to permeate their activities in
government. Or else, how can we explain
the drafting of politicians in the mould of
Gabriel Suswan, the governor of Benue
State, and Anyim Pius Anyim, the
Secretary to the Government of the
Federation (SGF), to chair sensitive
committees set up resolve the matter. But
how can a prophet who has not earned
honour at home seek to get honour
abroad? Don’t forget that medical
students of the Benue State University
have been organizing a series of protests
and sit-ins to persuade and/or force the
Suswan administration to cough out the
needed funds to provide the medical
equipment required by the Nigeria
Universities Commission (NUC) to accredit
the medical programme of the institution.
Anyim? How did he fare as Senate
President to have deserved the SSG
portfolio in this government and become
chair of a technical committee to proffer
needed and urgent remedy to our
decadent tertiary education sector?
Much as we urge the lecturers to continue
the struggle until their demands are met
to engender a progressive university
system in the country, they must be wary
of the use of strikes as a weapon in future.
Strikes in an education sector can be
likened to a double-edged which, apart
from forcing the authorities to act, also
stagnate, frustrate and demoralize
students. They paralyse the scholarly
ascent of scholars. Students are human
beings and therefore must not be treated
like industrial goods. Society cannot
afford to waste its material resources, but
a society is doomed which wastes the
time and energy of its youths,
represented by students.
It must be noted that the minister of
education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’i Ahmed
and the minister of state for education,
Nyesom Wike have not helped matters.
While Rufa’i Ahmed seems to be flowing
along praying that this strike will roll by
on its own accord, Wike is busy fighting
his benefactor just to land the Rivers
State PDP governorship slot for 2015.
Again, our World Bank genius and
minister of finance Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
would rather argue that the country is
broke and as such government cannot
meet the lecturers’ demands aimed at
fixing the university system. Her policies
have never been felt by the commoners in
Nigeria, despite the fact that she enjoys a
heroic status in governmental quarters.
She must realize that the developed
countries where she was groomed were
built up and managed by those who
enjoyed free and compulsory education
from the state.
When former regimes paid scant attention
to education, people said it was because
the presidents were no graduates, but
what about now that the president is a
PhD holder. One of the most unanimous
national facts is that the standard of
education has been on a continuous
plunge.
And how can government say it cannot
meet the demands of lecturers while its
officials daily mystify the public with their
ostentatious lifestyles. How on earth will a
country that is broke spend N1billion on
feeding at the presidential villa? Why will
a country that is broke continue to
maintain about 13 jets in her presidential
fleet?
Governor Suswam claimed that the issues
that led to the strike had been
substantially addressed with the release
of N30billion for immediate release to the
universities to enable them pay their staff
the earned allowance while another
N100billion would go to address the gross
deficit in critical infrastructure in the 61
federal and state universities.
What Suswan failed to give is a definite
timeline for the release of the funds. One
wonders if Suswan is not taking education
back to pre-2009 promises before the
agreement in question was signed. The
question is: When will Suswam’s
committee submit its spreadsheet of
projects to Mr. President? When will Mr.
President set up a committee to study the
spreadsheet and make recommendations?
When will the White Paper of the new
committee to be constituted by Mr.
President be approved by the Federal
Executive Council? When will Mr President
sign the amended White Paper and direct
the minister of finance who thinks the
government is broke to release the funds?
From the way governance is run here, I
think this is another journey to nowhere.
However, ASUU was quick to reject the
merry-go-round exercise, accusing
government. The ASUU has accused the
federal government of not being
genuinely committed to revitalizing public
universities through adequate funding
and that it was exhibiting a ‘take it or
leave it’ and ‘grab-the-crumbs or starve to
death’ mentality.
Again, in these uncertain times in our
educational history, students must ensure
that their desire to reach the heights of
their talents is not dampened by the
chicanery of visionless leaders. Even
though the doors to their classrooms have
temporarily been shut by the fight of
giants, they must daily withdraw into their
home sanctum, burn the midnight candle
and await the break of day. They must not
take the rude break in their academic
activities to mean a complete break in
their desire to attain lofty intellectual
heights. Readers are leaders, they say.
The federal government must also desist
from the paralysis of waiting for industrial
actions before redressing problems in the
system. The government must been seen
to proactively cater for the needs of
citizens and not the few in public service
and political positions. A situation where
government rushes money to meet the
needs of few individuals and institutions
in the system for self preservation can
only lead to unfathomable anarchy now
and in the long run.
It is germane to stress that students today
are asking for bread but successive
governments have given them stones.
They asked for fish but got serpents in
return. We must not fail to realize that
“stones” and “serpents” could be most
dangerous in idle hands.

4 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by egift(m): 8:57am On Aug 28, 2013
With people like the poster attracting haters for Jonathan, Mr President needs no enemies.

Should it not be shameful that the Presidency have not honoured this agreement for over 5yrs? Now this thug wants to insult and intemidate Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by macnwaobi: 9:44am On Aug 28, 2013
Zakkyoz: When will this guy starts reasoning in a rational and objective manner? Will there be strike if your paymasters do the right thing? All ASUU is asking is the implementation of 2009 FG/ASUU agreement. What negotiation are you still talking about when FG was not coerced to sign the agreement in 2009? Stop blaming opposition parties and I sincerely advise that you and your paymaster enagage in OBJECTIVE REASONING for once.
Zakkyoz: When will this guy starts reasoning in a rational and objective manner? Will there be strike if your paymasters do the right thing? All ASUU is asking is the implementation of 2009 FG/ASUU agreement. What negotiation are you still talking about when FG was not coerced to sign the agreement in 2009? Stop blaming opposition parties and I sincerely advise that you and your paymaster enagage in OBJECTIVE REASONING for once.
what really is in the agreement reached with the government and ASUU?government can not clean nigerian universities like a magic wand. ASUU should understand government positions in this matter!!!

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 28, 2013
Save that advice for yourself.

The problem with our higher institution is not only funding. Even if you empty the national budget into the schools, does that solve the problem of the negative attitude of lecturers? As far as I'm concerned, the problem in the education sector is 50% funding and 50% attitude of both lecturers and administrators.

ASUU have been going on strike for like ages, but has that made the schools any better? Only the bank accounts of the lecturers have grown fatter, while education suffers.

Yes, govt has to provide more funds but ASUU has to reciprocate with increased PRODUCTIVITY of its members. It is the combination of increased funding and increased productivity that will yield better education.

Now that FG has placed N130billion on the table, its a good starting point for ASUU to call off the strike, return to work and continue negotiations on unresolved areas.

Can you point to any administration, EVER the history of this country, that brought out such lump sum for injection into the university system alone?

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
Full disclosure: I am an academic, and a (not-so-enthusiastic) ASUU member.

@Sincere 9gerian: I do not agree at all with the premise of your argument, which seems to be: "Negotiations cannot be all or NONE, like the current leadership of ASUU have been carrying on".

I think this is the crux of the matter. ASUU negotiated with the government in 2009 and the government signed an agreement. So please understand clearly that ASUU is not now negotiating with the government (at least, in a sane country, they wouldn't need to). What ASUU is asking for is what one should demand from any entity: that they honor their promises. I think it is disingenuous to try to recast the issue to look like ASUU making crazy demands. Is it crazy to ask someone to honor a promise he signed?

You also asked: "ASUU have been going on strike for like ages, but has that made the schools any better?". If that is a honest question, then I will give you the honest answer. Yes! It may be politically incorrect to suggest that something that causes damage/loss to others was worthwhile, but it happens. Despite the great cost, there were a few positives from the 2nd World War for example. So, yes, the ASUU strikes have cost the students a lot. But yes, they have DEFINITELY yielded results.

I assure you I am not just being partisan. I don't always agree with the union's stance. For instance, I don't see what business ASUU has with landed properties. Again, I think the pension idea is one that could come back to bite our collective behinds. I also totally hate the 70-year retirement idea. So, I have issues on which I do not agree with the union at all, but that does not change the main parameters of the current stand-off: the government signed an agreement and is trying all tricks to back off. If that is a sign of people with integrity, then there is something wrong with us as a people.

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
prof.femi:

@Sincere 9gerian: I do not agree at all with the premise of your argument, which seems to be: "Negotiations cannot be all or NONE, like the current leadership of ASUU have been carrying on".

I think this is the crux of the matter. ASUU negotiated with the government in 2009 and the government signed an agreement. So please understand clearly that ASUU is not now negotiating with the government (at least, in a sane country, they wouldn't need to). What ASUU is asking for is what one should demand from any entity: that they honor their promises. I think it is disingenuous to try to recast the issue to look like ASUU making crazy demands. Is it crazy to ask someone to honor a promise he signed?

You also asked: "ASUU have been going on strike for like ages, but has that made the schools any better?". If that is a honest question, then I will give you the honest answer. Yes! It may be politically incorrect to suggest that something that causes damage/loss to others was worthwhile, but it happens. Despite the great cost, there were a few positives from the 2nd World War for example. So, yes, the ASUU strikes have cost the students a lot. But yes, they have DEFINITELY yielded results.

I assure you I am not just being partisan. I don't always agree with the union's stance. For instance, I don't see what business ASUU has with landed properties. Again, I think the pension idea is one that could come back to bite our collective behinds. I also totally hate the 70-year retirement idea. So, I have issues on which I do not agree with the union at all, but that does not change the main parameters of the current stand-off: the government signed an agreement and is trying all tricks to back off. If that is a sign of people with integrity, then there is something wrong with us as a people.

The Yar Adua govt signed that agreement and we dont know how and under what condition he did. Yes, GEJ was part of that govt but you and I know that VPs are merely spare tires.

Its very easy to sign documents but IMPLEMENTATION is where the problem lies. The current govt has looked at the agreement and discovered that certain part are un-implementable. If that is the position of govt then ASUU should sit with govt and look at areas where adjustment can be made to make it implementable and favourable for all parties, especially when the govt has fully implemented SOME part of the agreement.

Assuming in your absence some people signed away your son in an agreement but before the deal could be implemented you returned and the onus now lies with you to implement the deal. What will you do as a father? Will you go ahead and give away your son because an agreement was signed in your absence?

Agreement is not law. It cannot be sacrosant. If the govt has shown good faith in implementing some of it, why cant the unions sit and re-negotiate areas where the govt is having difficulties?

About N400billion (minus TET fund, UBEC, NDDC etc) was budgeted for education this year out of a budget of N4trillion for 160million people. Now ASUU alone is asking for ANOTHER N400billion for the universities. How FAIR is that? Where does that leave the remaining 160million Nigerians that are asking govt for portable water, good roads, railways, stable power, good health care system,etc?

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 28, 2013
Op shut d fVckup!!!

ASUU is not negotiating anything! Implement d agreement...simple.

If u think ASUU president can insist on d strike if all other stakeholders in ASUU favours a call-off den u must be insane. ASUU is made up of academic staff of universities in all nooks and cranny of Nigeria and they are saying implement d agreement or fvckoff!

U can comeup wit all kinds of conspiracies for all I care, but am wit ASUU 100% even though am a die-hard GEJ supporter.

A situation where a HOD is paid a monthly allowance of 20naira per month for his job as HOD is completely disgraceful and an insult of the highest order.

Stvpid Op!
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Demdem(m): 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
As soon as Retardeen fulfil his own part of the agreement. The same scenario almost happened last year and ASUU was able to squeeze an MOU from govt now the fools feel they can implement whatever they feel like.
It will be foolish for ASUU to think govt can't afford it while the same killer govt has spent trillions on just NASS over the years as stated by Oby. Only fools in govt and their e-cockroaches will claim agreement not implementable.
When the fool in aso-rock was eating a bilion naira worth of food, he never knew he was eating the educational sector off.
What is some cool billions for our unis that retardeen is claiming foul. He even said, Tinubu and Buhari are the ones dictating for ASUU.
This kaikai infected brain from otuokpe is just being stupidd as usual.

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Demdem(m): 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2013
Oko_AGB: Op shut d fVckup!!!

ASUU is not negotiating anything! Implement d agreement...simple.

If u think ASUU president can insist on d strike if all other stakeholders in ASUU favours a call-off den u must be insane. ASUU is made up of academic staff of universities in all nooks and cranny of Nigeria and they are saying implement d agreement or fvckoff!

U can comeup wit all kinds of conspiracies for all I care, but am wit ASUU 100% even though am a die-hard GEJ supporter.

A situation where a HOD is paid a monthly allowance of 20naira per month for his job as HOD is completely disgraceful and an insult of the highest order.

Stvpid Op!

U dey mind the goon, he wants to 'ethnicised" the issue. Were we not in this country when dipo Fashino the former ASUU boss sqeeze objs balls?

1 Like

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 3:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The Yar Adua govt signed that agreement and we dont know how and under what condition he did. Yes, GEJ was part of that govt but you and I know that VPs are merely spare tires.

Its very easy to sign documents but IMPLEMENTATION is where the problem lies. The current govt has looked at the agreement and discovered that certain part are un-implementable. If that is the position of govt then ASUU should sit with govt and look at areas where adjustment can be made to make it implementable and favourable for all parties, especially when the govt has fully implemented SOME part of the agreement.

Assuming in your absence some people signed away your son in an agreement but before the deal could be implemented you returned and the onus now lies with you to implement the deal. What will you do as a father? Will you go ahead and give away your son because an agreement was signed in your absence?

Agreement is not law. It cannot be sacrosant. If the govt has shown good faith in implementing some of it, why cant the unions sit and re-negotiate areas where the govt is having difficulties?

About N400billion (minus TET fund, UBEC, NDDC etc) was budgeted for education this year out of a budget of N4trillion for 160million people. Now ASUU alone is asking for ANOTHER N400billion for the universities. How FAIR is that? Where does that leave the remaining 160million Nigerians that are asking govt for portable water, good roads, railways, stable power, good health care system,etc?

Sorry, I don't agree with you again. Government doesn't work that way, sorry. Agreements during the Yar Adua presidency were not signed with Yar Adua but with the Federal Government of Nigeria. An agreement with FGN must be honored by any current group running the country. So, the argument that JEG's government is the innocent who got saddled with an onerous burden is not acceptable. FGN is FGN.

Also, you say implementation is the problem. True. But can I remind you that that is why governments don't rush to sign agreements. They are expected to do their due diligence and know whether an idea will work. Due diligence means that they will get rough figures and assure themselves that as long as the figures stay within an order of magnitude, they are implementable. For government to have taken so long in 2009 to consider its options before signing, and coming round now to say "unimplementable", it suggests the figures now are more than an order of magnitude off. Meaning: they did not do their due diligence. Whose fault is that?

Your "son analogy" fails on many counts. Family and blood ties work differently from government of countries.

It is true that agreement is not law. However, (I think..since I do not know what the ASUU representatives actually think) one reason why ASUU will not back down is that they see no ACTUAL reason why the government cannot fulfill its promise other than the fact that some elements in government simply feel that "this amount is too much for them".

I frankly do not have information about the N400 Billion you speak of, so I will pass on that. However, whatever it does not change the main issues in contention: failure of government to pay what it promised in a 4-year old agreement. As someone said, you do not retroactively negotiate what a worker has earned *after* he has earned it.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
prof.femi:

So u agreed that previous strikes embarked by ASUU has benefited the institution even when d latest worldwide universities ranking shows that Nigerian universities have dropped out of reckoning because of d poor quality and scope of research conducted by indigenous academics. No Nigerian university featured in the world best 500 universities.
More embarassing was the fact that even among the contending universities in Africa,the best Nigerian universitiy in Africa was ranked number 44,2nd 65,3rd 79 and 4th 90.
ASUU are bunch of selfish hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 3:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Dike Chimezie:
So u agreed that previous strikes embarked by ASUU has benefited the institution even when d latest worldwide universities ranking shows that Nigerian universities have dropped out of reckoning because of d poor quality and scope of research conducted by indigenous academics. No Nigerian university featured in the world best 500 universities.
More embarassing was the fact that even among the contending universities in Africa,the best Nigerian universitiy in Africa was ranked number 44,2nd 65,3rd 79 and 4th 90.
ASUU are bunch of selfish hypocrites.

Chief, take it easy. Are you also aware that a Nigerian universities is ranked 8th in Africa on the Webometric rankings? Nigerian universities have been improving there every year. Sure, there are much better indices and rankings, but show me one where the trend has not been positive since the lowest we sank during the Abacha years?

Also, it is nice when ignorant, to ask for information from those who (claim to) know. It is only after you find their response inadequate or inaccurate that you can take them to task. I work in this system. I told you the system has improved, but yet you feel the need to throw global rankings at me. Do you know anyone who works or has had long enough association with the universities that tell you that they are not improving? (I accept that the rate of improvement is slow of course).

You are unhappy with ASUU, I understand that. But pause to think carefully on your use of the word "hypocrite". Do you even know what that word means, and is that the right thing you think the current situation depicts academics as?

Cheers.
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 28, 2013
prof.femi:

Sorry, I don't agree with you again. Government doesn't work that way, sorry. Agreements during the Yar Adua presidency were not signed with Yar Adua but with the Federal Government of Nigeria. An agreement with FGN must be honored by any current group running the country. So, the argument that JEG's government is the innocent who got saddled with an onerous burden is not acceptable. FGN is FGN.

Also, you say implementation is the problem. True. But can I remind you that that is why governments don't rush to sign agreements. They are expected to do their due diligence and know whether an idea will work. Due diligence means that they will get rough figures and assure themselves that as long as the figures stay within an order of magnitude, they are implementable. For government to have taken so long in 2009 to consider its options before signing, and coming round now to say "unimplementable", it suggests the figures now are more than an order of magnitude off. Meaning: they did not do their due diligence. Whose fault is that?

Your "son analogy" fails on many counts. Family and blood ties work differently from government of countries.

It is true that agreement is not law. However, (I think..since I do not know what the ASUU representatives actually think) one reason why ASUU will not back down is that they see no ACTUAL reason why the government cannot fulfill its promise other than the fact that some elements in government simply feel that "this amount is too much for them".

I frankly do not have information about the N400 Billion you speak of, so I will pass on that. However, whatever it does not change the main issues in contention: failure of government to pay what it promised in a 4-year old agreement. As someone said, you do not retroactively negotiate what a worker has earned *after* he has earned it.

Thank you.
On the issue of earned allowance, the govt is not re-negotiating that aspect. The problem is that the 2009 did NOT state where the money to fund the earned allowance was to be sourced from- whether from FG budget or internally generated revenue of the schools. In view of that, the govt promised to pay N30billion so that each university will add that to their internally generated revenue and pay the earned allowances.

Clearly, on other issues, we'r on opposing ends. No agreement is sacrosant. Even laws a amended to suit realities. ASUU cannot insist on all or NONE
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
On the issue of earned allowance, the govt is not re-negotiating that aspect. The problem is that the 2009 did NOT state where the money to fund the earned allowance was to be sourced from- whether from FG budget or internally generated revenue of the schools. In view of that, the govt promised to pay N30billion so that each university will add that to their internally generated revenue and pay the earned allowances.

Clearly, on other issues, we'r on opposing ends. No agreement is sacrosant. Even laws a amended to suit realities. ASUU cannot insist on all or NONE

Why are you playing the same hide-and-seek that government is playing? You say the government agrees with the allowances, but wants the universities to pay the bulk with IGR. Where, pray tell me, will the universities get that money from?

Hope you know that this means the government wants a sharp increase in students' fees. ASUU knows this, as do most folks who care to think about it. So why doesn't ASUU accept it? Ask yourself, what has ASUU got to lose if we get all our allowances and students get charged N2 million per year (I got that figure from thin air; just saying)? Nothing. The only reason ASUU will not take that deal it that it is wrong for the government to deflect its responsibilities by moving the burden to students and their parents.
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
prof.femi:

Why are you joining the government to play hide-and-seek? You say the government agrees with the allowances, but wants the universities to pay the bulk with IGR. Where, pray tell me, will the universities get that money from?

Do you know what that actually means? It means the government wants a sharp increase in students' fees. ASUU knows this, as do most folks who care to think about it. So why doesn't ASUU accept it? Ask yourself, what has ASUU got to lose if we get all our allowances and students get charged N2 million per year (I got that figure from thin air; just saying)? Nothing. The only reason ASUU will not take that deal it that it is wrong for the government to deflect its responsibilities by moving the burden to students and their parents.
I just gave the fact which is that the source of the fund for earned allowance was NOT part of the agreement. That is a FACT. It is also a FACT that universities have internally generated revenue. I saw the head of one of the polytechnics in the east (along with minister of education) commission projects he claimed was executed with internally generated revenue. Nothing stops the schools from paying those earned allowances with part of the internally generated revenue.

You claim not to be aware of ASUU demanding for another N400billion (in addition to the N400billion for the whole education sector), maybe you should the reports below:
http://tv360nigeria.com/ASUU-strike-union-says-full-implementation-of-mou-or-no-deal/
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/fg-not-ready-to-end-strike-ASUU/

Is it fair on the rest of 160million Nigerians for ASUU to be asking for 800billion (N400billion for education as a whole and N400billion for universities) for the education sector alone out of N4trillion national budget? What about the rest 160 million Nigerians that are asking govt for good roads, portable water, health care, railways, salaries, security, etc?
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Kachi188(m): 4:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
While some part of ASUU's. Demand appear legit, some others sounds outlandish and self-serving. I mean, if just earned allowed can total up to 87billion between 2009 and now,I wonder how much salary they would have received within this time frame. They are also demanding τ̣̣ђat FG. Provides funding for even state universities, where do they do τ̣̣ђat anywhere in the world? FG has shifted grounds since this strike started, and ASUU has remained firmly rooted on its demands. For the sake of students,ASUU should consider the offer by FG. 130billion already and more to follow. What if tomorrow, all primary and secondary school teachers demand τ̣̣ђat govt fixes all the school to international standard at once, won't we call them unreasonable? The position taken by ASUU makes them look more like self-serving politicians, rather than academics.
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I just gave the fact which is that the source of the fund for earned allowance was NOT part of the agreement. That is a FACT. It is also a FACT that universities have internally generated revenue. I saw the head of one of the polytechnics in the east (along with minister of education) commission projects he claimed was executed with internally generated revenue. Nothing stops the schools from paying those earned allowances with part of the internally generated revenue.

This is why I accused the government of playing hide and seek. The source was not identified, but they know universities cannot generate such IGR unless they levy students harshly. I do not doubt that some institutions have much more IGR than others (as in the example of the poly you cited), but I assure you that no university (save, perhaps UNILAG?) can afford to pay the allowance. It's just a technique by government to try top sell its students fees agenda again. And you know what, given that it is the same students who pillory ASUU, perhaps one of these days, ASUU should just keep shut and let the government gets its wish, all in the name of generating IGR.

Sincere 9gerian:
You claim not to be aware of ASUU demanding for another N400billion (in addition to the N400billion for the whole education sector), maybe you should the reports below:
http://tv360nigeria.com/ASUU-strike-union-says-full-implementation-of-mou-or-no-deal/
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/fg-not-ready-to-end-strike-ASUU/

Is it fair on the rest of 160million Nigerians for ASUU to be asking for 800billion (N400billion for education as a whole and N400billion for universities) for the education sector alone out of N4trillion national budget? What about the rest 160 million Nigerians that are asking govt for good roads, portable water, health care, railways, salaries, security, etc?

I appreciate that you have been kind enough to provide a link, but I am sorry, I cannot put much trust in figures bandied about by the media. For example, can I tell you a joke? Do you know (as I am reliably informed) that ASUU is NOT asking for N92 Billion? That figure (or is it $87 billion?) is what the government owes ALL THE UNIONS in the universities for the allowances. But if you listen to the media, it is "lecturers" that are fighting for N92 billion.

Look, one of the reasons I try to stay away from commenting online is that most problems are complicated enough that one would have to type an ocean of text in order to properly make his point. This is a complex issue (for example, under other circumstances, I would argue that a. students fees *do* need to be increased b. many of us lecturers truly do not deserve to be in this system c. I do not even *personally* believe in the whole earned allowances thing etc.) however, we can simplify it to the issue that made me engage you in the first place:

ASUU is primarily asking government to pay for services *already* rendered, for which government agreed it would pay. Government is putting up tricks to avoid doing so (pretending not to be aware of the agreement -can you imagine that?; trying to split universities and push burdens to students with the IRG idea). In the midst of all this, please keep in mind, ASUU is NOT making any new demand that the government did not sign for. Government should honor an agreement it signed 4 years ago.

2 Likes

Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Kachi188: While some part of ASUU's. Demand appear legit, some others sounds outlandish and self-serving. I mean, if just earned allowed can total up to 87billion between 2009 and now,I wonder how much salary they would have received within this time frame. They are also demanding τ̣̣ђat FG. Provides funding for even state universities, where do they do τ̣̣ђat anywhere in the world? FG has shifted grounds since this strike started, and ASUU has remained firmly rooted on its demands. For the sake of students,ASUU should consider the offer by FG. 130billion already and more to follow. What if tomorrow, all primary and secondary school teachers demand τ̣̣ђat govt fixes all the school to international standard at once, won't we call them unreasonable? The position taken by ASUU makes them look more like self-serving politicians, rather than academics.
Exactly. Even the president of ASUU speaks on TV with so much arrogance.

I challenge anyone to give an instance of any govt in the history of Nigeria that has placed a lump sum such as N100billion on the table for infrastructural development in universities alone. Pls I need instances, whether brought about by strike or not.

The N100billion is in addition to infrastructural upgrade that was already taking place in some schools even before the strike. In the last few weeks, NDDC has been commissioning hostel facilities in Niger Delta states. Uniben and many of the first generation universities were already being upgraded before the strike.

Yes, more funds can and should be injected into education, but the arrogance of ASUU in this ongoing strike smacks of political undertones.

I've also noticed that once new labour leaders are elected, especially in ASUU and NLC, the only way the new leaders announce their presence is with a strike. It seems strike is the only performance indicator of labour union leaders in Nigeria. They should also include PRODUCTIVITY of their members in their performance indicators
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by phapi(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2013
Demdem: As soon as Retardeen fulfil his own part of the agreement. The same scenario almost happened last year and ASUU was able to squeeze an MOU from govt now the fools feel they can implement whatever they feel like.
It will be foolish for ASUU to think govt can't afford it while the same killer govt has spent trillions on just NASS over the years as stated by Oby. Only fools in govt and their e-cockroaches will claim agreement not implementable.
When the fool in aso-rock was eating a bilion naira worth of food, he never knew he was eating the educational sector off.
What is some cool billions for our unis that retardeen is claiming foul. He even said, Tinubu and Buhari are the ones dictating for ASUU.
This kaikai infected brain from otuokpe is just being stupidd as usual.

want to ask u a cogent ques......pls when will u b moderate in ya manner of thinking and hw u react to issues concerning GEJ?
The present ASSU industrial action was never caused by GEJ adm or himself,diz aligment called ASSU strike is as old as d 3rd republic and so so why play d saddist role here in telling us what we dont want to hear or what is not real,
to every agreement there is always negotition*talking 4rm ma proffession view* the then accepted agreement of 2009 has been so far implemented to some certain levels and to b candid it not everything ASSU is asking d FG should\will do,cos there will b always b more new agitation has d years goes by and it still diz same machinery called govt that it b directed to,so let jst sit and savoiur hw diz fight of self improvement agigtation of diz selfish set of servant fights it egocentric and arrogant paymaster,thou we d student r d sufferring polity but let he dat has been wronged fights 4 d right
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2013
Kachi188: While some part of ASUU's. Demand appear legit, some others sounds outlandish and self-serving. I mean, if just earned allowed can total up to 87billion between 2009 and now,I wonder how much salary they would have received within this time frame. They are also demanding τ̣̣ђat FG. Provides funding for even state universities, where do they do τ̣̣ђat anywhere in the world? FG has shifted grounds since this strike started, and ASUU has remained firmly rooted on its demands. For the sake of students,ASUU should consider the offer by FG. 130billion already and more to follow. What if tomorrow, all primary and secondary school teachers demand τ̣̣ђat govt fixes all the school to international standard at once, won't we call them unreasonable? The position taken by ASUU makes them look more like self-serving politicians, rather than academics.

I am almost apologetic that I have to be reduced to a "defender of ASUU" as I usually do not even attend union meetings. Having said that, it is still this idea of "shifting ground" I do not agree with. This is not a negotiation for any new demand. It is a demand for what has already been promised and now owed.

If by shifting ground, you mean allow the government to propose a workable plan for spacing payments and funding out, of course I believe ASUU will accept that (after all, we have been here 4 years, and the universities haven't imploded yet). But if by shifting ground, you mean to go back and renegotiate something that government agreed to do, and they now owe ASUU for work already done, that's not right na. Where is it done that after you promise someone payment for a job and the job is done, you now turn around and renegotiate, and worse yet, accuse the other person of not shifting ground? Using your words,"where do they do τ̣̣ђat anywhere in the world?".

Your point about the state universities is a good one which I secretly agree with. However, I do sympathize with the states because most of them simply cannot afford the amount we are talking about. But that's a discussion for another day.

On a final note, yes I agree with you totally, I find some of ASUU's original demands questionable to say the least. But again, that's a discussion for another day.

Its just so hard being a Nigerian...
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2013
prof.femi:

This is why I accused the government of playing hide and seek. The source was not identified, but they know universities cannot generate such IGR unless they levy students harshly. I do not doubt that some institutions have much more IGR than others (as in the example of the poly you cited), but I assure you that no university (save, perhaps UNILAG?) can afford to pay the allowance. It's just a technique by government to try top sell its students fees agenda again. And you know what, given that it is the same students who pillory ASUU, perhaps one of these days, ASUU should just keep shut and let the government gets its wish, all in the name of generating IGR.

I appreciate that you have been kind enough to provide a link, but I am sorry, I cannot put much trust in figures bandied about by the media. For example, can I tell you a joke? Do you know (as I am reliably informed) that ASUU is NOT asking for N92 Billion? That figure (or is it $87 billion?) is what the government owes ALL THE UNIONS in the universities for the allowances. But if you listen to the media, it is "lecturers" that are fighting for N92 billion.

Look, one of the reasons I try to stay away from commenting online is that most problems are complicated enough that one would have to type an ocean of text in order to properly make his point. This is a complex issue (for example, under other circumstances, I would argue that a. students fees *do* need to be increased b. many of us lecturers truly do not deserve to be in this system c. I do not even *personally* believe in the whole earned allowances thing etc.) however, we can simplify it to the issue that made me engage you in the first place:

ASUU is primarily asking government to pay for services *already* rendered, for which government agreed it would pay. Government is putting up tricks to avoid doing so (pretending not to be aware of the agreement -can you imagine that?; trying to split universities and push burdens to students with the IRG idea). In the midst of all this, please keep in mind, ASUU is NOT making any new demand that the government did not sign for. Government should honor an agreement it signed 4 years ago.
Its unfortunate how you try to dodge the ASUU demand for another N400billion. I provided you with two separarte links, yet none is sufficient for you. Maybe you'r ashamed of admiting that ASUU's demand. Anyway, whether you admit it or not ASUU is demanding for another N400billion, not just for this year but on annual basis. That is N800billion alone for education, out of N4trillion budget for 160million people. Is that FAIR on the rest of Nigerians that are yearning for basic education, good health care, good roads, portable water, railways, stable power,etc. Is that FAIR? Because the rest 160 million Nigerians cannot go on strike does not mean they do not have demands
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 5:56pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Its unfortunate how you try to dodge the ASUU demand for another N400billion. I provided you with two separarte links, yet none is sufficient for you. Maybe you'r ashamed of admiting that ASUU's demand. Anyway, whether you admit it or not ASUU is demanding for another N400billion, not just for this year but on annual basis. That is N800billion alone for education, out of N4trillion budget for 160million people. Is that FAIR on the rest of Nigerians that are yearning for basic education, good health care, good roads, portable water, railways, stable power,etc. Is that FAIR? Because the rest 160 million Nigerians cannot go on strike does not mean they do not have demands

I am not "dodging" ASUU demands for N400 billion as you put it. Why will I be ashamed when I know that IF ASUU demanded for N400 billion, it arrived at the figure not by randomly looking at how much each lecturer can chop, but by estimating the amount of rot in the system and determining how much is needed? Why will I be ashamed of that?? I simply did not join issues with you on that because as a scientist/engineer, I hate discussing an issue unless I have the facts, and as I explained to you with the N92 vs N87 billion example, one simply cannot trust the media alone.

As to whether N400B is too much for education out of N4T, I'm afraid you may not like my answer, but bear with me. Permit me to use an analogy. Imagine a poor family with only N400K available to them for whatever reason for life. Do you think that considering all the other *important* needs in the house, it is fair for the children's education to require N200K? Of course. It is true that the child himself dare not make that argument because the father is going to ask him whether it is less important to eat, or whether the day he falls sick, money should not be made available for treatment. However, every sensible parent will know that eventually, N400K will run out. To have any chance of long-term survival, the family must invest in the children so that the family can survice in future.

What I am saying is: ASSUMING THE MONEY WILL BE WELL SPENT (which of course is another dirty linen which I *am* ashamed to wash in public), N400B is not too much for education because, read my lips, this country (or any other for that matter) has no hope of getting ahead unless it funds education and research. Go and look at how much the US spent on the Genome project and how much each dollar is returning. Same for the new Brain Mapping initiative. People sink crazy money into education because that is their hope for the future. Which is why UNICEF (se they are no fools) recommend almost a quarter of your budget goes towards education.

Of course the problem, which we all know, is that Nigerian academics have not delivered so far. The issue is for us to work on means of making sure they (we) deliver because I repeat, the country will never see the kind of development we need unless tertiary education works. Yes, I am ashamed that academics have not done well at all when it comes to results. That doesn't mean education is no longer our major hope. It simply means that having made the appropriate investments, we have to make sure we make all academics are held accountable. Academics who cannot deliver should be thrown out, simple. Have I responded to you better now?
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by proffemi: 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

And by the way, I can't avoid noting that your view here is so simplistic as to be disappointing. What is happening here is not that everybody is trying to cut the biggest portion of the national cake to himself (hence your view that it is not fair for "the rest" to have a smaller share). In the history of nations some steps lead to rapid growth while others lead to decline. What is happening here is not a "sharing" but determining what facet of Nigeria needs to be invested into heavily to make us the new South Korea (please go and find out why that country is suddenly "reigning". Hint: Education. Investment). Are you saying you do not agree that the way nations develop is by investing heavily in education and research
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Olaolufred(m): 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

No agreement is sacrosanct?
I think that is exactly why ASUU or nigerians can not trust this govt. Corporate lack of integrity.
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Demdem(m): 6:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
phapi:

want to ask u a cogent ques......pls when will u b moderate in ya manner of thinking and hw u react to issues concerning GEJ?

The moment u stop talking rubbish and start making sense which i believe can never happen.

[s]The present ASSU industrial action was never caused by GEJ adm or himself,diz aligment called ASSU strike is as old as d 3rd republic and so so why play d saddist role here in telling us what we dont want to hear or what is not real,[/s]

Rubbish.

to every agreement there is always negotition*talking 4rm ma proffession view* the then accepted agreement of 2009 has been so far implemented to some certain levels and to b candid it not everything ASSU is asking d FG should\will do,cos there will b always b more new agitation has d years goes by and it still diz same machinery called govt that it b directed to,

Hold it right there. The signed agreement was never what ASUU wanted. its as far more than this originally. They made their demands, negotiated rigorously with govt for months and compromised a lot and they both came to a conclusion which gave birth to this agreement. So in ur daft state u expect them to go for another round of negotiation on an already signed and negotiated deal. Does that make sense to u? If ur employer suddenly tells u that what u guys agreed to be paid for ur services after work done by u wont be possible again and called u for a negotiation, wont u run mad?
Govt cant continue to do what they feel like doing. As Nigerians, we should be able and learn to hold our govt to their words and promises. Our inability in doing this has led us this far. FG cant determine and choose what she will do in an agreement that was agreed upon after rigorous negotiation.

so let jst sit and savoiur hw diz fight of self improvement agigtation of diz selfish set of servant fights it egocentric and arrogant paymaster,thou we d student r d sufferring polity but let he dat has been wronged fights 4 d right

So u are even a student. u are such an ingrate. Is it not because of ur kind that the lectures are ready to forgo their pay and fight to the end. if ur lecturers are happy and comfortable, wont u receive the best from them. Is more funds for infrastructures in the the universities not form a substantial part of the agreement? Dont be deceived, Nigeria can comfortably afford it and still have enough in abundance for the rest. If few hundreds politicians have access to trillions of Naira over the years why should it be difficult for trainers of future leaders be given even more?
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by Demdem(m): 6:15pm On Aug 28, 2013
Olaolufred:

No agreement is sacrosanct?
I think that is exactly why ASUU or nigerians can not trust this govt. Corporate lack of integrity.

so sickening hearing such. its like asking us not to hold the govt to their words. Can u imagine the kind of defence these fools are bringing up?
Re: When Will The Politicised ASUU Call Off Their Self-serving Strike? by ilebaami: 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I learnt this morning that the health workers have called off their 6 days old strike after 2 days negotiations with govt. That is how it ought to be. Negotiations is a give and take thing.

ASUU will be unreasonable ab initio. The current lecturers are privileged in the Nigerian situation of shortage of supply such that the lecturers take the advantage to be as corrupt as the Legislators. When I was in the University in 1979 most of the lecturers lived true to their near ecclesiastic calling of humble lifestyles and discipline. Professor Ayodele Oluwatuminu Awojobi (March 12, 1937 – September 23, 1984) was said to have donated his Mega pays in Pounds Sterling from consultancy with the BP in the North Sea to UNILAG where he was a Prof teaching my classmates and being hailed as "DEAD EASY", their darling. Prof Chike Obi in my Maths class was just as Pious. They gave, like the proverbial Missionary, their all so that we may see the light. Today, GEJ will be a more humble and devoted lecturer than all those ASUU masqueraders. God help the students.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Tony Nwoye Wins At Supreme Court As PDP Anambra Guber Candidate / Anambra Guber: PDP Hails Poll's Conduct - VANGUARD / Video Footage Of The Abuja Emab Plaza Bomb Blast (viewers Discretion Is Advised)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 230
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.