Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! (6425 Views)

Peter Bello’s Parents At His Funeral Service (Photos) / U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals / My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Jevbe(f): 10:28am On Jun 12, 2008
I want the Nigerian government and the world to know what is going on at the Finnish Embassy Abuja. The discrimination towards a Nigerian married to a fellow Nigerian is just too obvious. They always reject visa to our mothers and fathers to come and visit us in Finland but if one of the couple is a Finn(white Finnish) they will grant the visa but if both couples are black , they will reject the visa even if they are Finnish citizen. The most frustrating part is that they know they will not give the visa, they will still demand you pay the visa fee and health insurance fee.

Nigerians living legally in Finland are crying out to the world to do something about this discrimination. How can the Embassy reject a 65 years old woman that wants to go and visit her daughter and grandchild? How can the Embassy reject a mother who has not seen her son for the past 7years visa to go and visit him and the grandchild? The humiliation is too much.

My mother was at the Embassy and during the interview, they asked what was her reason for applying and she told them that she wants to go and visit her daughter and grandchildren. But after spending so much money on the trip to Abuja, including the health insurance and visa fee, she was rejected the visa based on what? That she didn't say the reason why she wants to go to Finland. What nonesense, what an excuse!

What an insult to my mum who spent 11 days waiting for their reply at Abuja. The same excuse was giving to three other women ages above 60 that wanted to go and visit their children.

All this rejection because both couples inviting these people are black but if one of the couple is white Finnish, they will grant the visa without calling to confirm if the application is geniue. We are all fed up of this insults to our parents. They will travel all the way to Abuja only to be sent home humiliated. No single respect for our parents in the hands of the staff at the embassy.

Please spread this around and let the world know the humiliation our parents are suffering in the hands of the Finnish embassy at Abuja. Something must be done about it because we are not asking for too much by inviting our own biological parents. They are not kids that will seek asylum or run away, they are our parents. Please help me spread this news, the world must know!!!!!!!!
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by biggjoe(m): 10:31am On Jun 12, 2008
Sad,
But if they insist why cant the man come back to Nigeria after 7 years and see his mum instead.

Or is there anything keeping him from coming back home?
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by papiwonder: 11:38am On Jun 12, 2008
So sad.I think Minister for foreign affairs should hear this.
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by landis(m): 11:44am On Jun 12, 2008
My mother was at the Embassy and during the interview, they asked  what was her reason for applying and she told them that she wants to go and visit her daughter and grandchildren. But after spending so much money on the trip to Abuja, including the health insurance and visa fee, she was rejected the visa based on what? That she didn't say the reason why she wants to go to Finland. What nonesense, what an excuse!

Take this up with your Local Govt in Finnland and the immigration office.

Since you are finish, they have to give the Schengen VISA.

Plus in Finnland, your parents are not considered 'family member', so becareful what stated on the forms.
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Vicjustice: 11:56am On Jun 12, 2008
Jevbe:

I want the Nigerian government and the world to know what is going on at the Finnish Embassy Abuja. The discrimination towards a Nigerian married to a fellow Nigerian is just too obvious. They always reject visa to our mothers and fathers to come and visit us in Finland but if one of the couple is a Finn(white Finnish) they will grant the visa but if both couples are black , they will reject the visa even if they are Finnish citizen. The most frustrating part is that they know they will not give the visa, they will still demand you pay the visa fee and health insurance fee.

Nigerians living legally in Finland are crying out to the world to do something about this discrimination. How can the Embassy reject a 65 years old woman that wants to go and visit her daughter and grandchild? How can the Embassy reject a mother who has not seen her son for the past 7years visa to go and visit him and the grandchild? The humiliation is too much.

My mother was at the Embassy and during the interview, they asked what was her reason for applying and she told them that she wants to go and visit her daughter and grandchildren. But after spending so much money on the trip to Abuja, including the health insurance and visa fee, she was rejected the visa based on what? That she didn't say the reason why she wants to go to Finland. What nonesense, what an excuse!

What an insult to my mum who spent 11 days waiting for their reply at Abuja. The same excuse was giving to three other women ages above 60 that wanted to go and visit their children.

All this rejection because both couples inviting these people are black but if one of the couple is white Finnish, they will grant the visa without calling to confirm if the application is geniue. We are all fed up of this insults to our parents. They will travel all the way to Abuja only to be sent home humiliated. No single respect for our parents in the hands of the staff at the embassy.

Please spread this around and let the world know the humiliation our parents are suffering in the hands of the Finnish embassy at Abuja. Something must be done about it because we are not asking for too much by inviting our own biological parents. They are not kids that will seek asylum or run away, they are our parents. Please help me spread this news, the world must know!!!!!!!!

Don't judge Finland wrong because of your sad experience, it's not necessarily so-that they refuse visas for racial reasons, in fact this refusal has got more or less to do with the financial, obligation, economic, resident and social status of the host-to-be: also, the immigration history plays a major role; such as, if a person has at one time or the other ever sought political asylum before being legalised or granted citizenship, or has ever resorted to public fund under social welfare, it's highly likely that anybody such a person invites in the future will be refused the visa. But those with reputable profession and clean immigration history seldom get treated this way.
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 14, 2008
well, they have the right to refuse a visa. Its their freaking country for God's sake. Why don't you make your own country better? I am sick of all this visa complaints.20-40 years ago when Nigeria was a relatively good place to live in, I am sure securing a visa to a lot of countries was a cake walk. cry discrimination all you want, but its just the fact. Come back to your country and try to make a difference instead of freezing your butt off in Finland!
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by steeee(m): 10:20pm On Jun 14, 2008
Don't judge Finland wrong because of your ordeal, it's not necessarily so-that they refused visas for racial reason, in fact the refusal has got more or less to do with the financial, obligation, economic, resident and social status of the host-to-be: also, the immigration history plays a major role; such as, if a person has on one time or the other ever sought political asylum before being legalised or granted citizenship, or has ever resorted to public fund under social welfare, it's highly likely that anybody s/he invites in the future will be refused of visa. But those with reputable profession and clear immigration history seldom get treated this way.

I think poster made her self very clear here
So we should think of a way forward
Dowrite a strong protest letter to the Honourable Minister or the poster write to the editors of Leading Nigeria dailes via email and give a accurate account on want Nigerians with genuine intentions suffred from varoius embassies.
because it might be your turn and u will not know what to do we should as a matter of important in these forum lead a quite civil reforms on all sector
I think we have to carry the buck nobody will do it for us
@ poster i urge u to make a formal report or u can send me a comprhensive i post to some editors i know so tha can give it National attention . my email is christainokereke@yahoo.com
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by bluetyrese(m): 10:44pm On Jun 14, 2008
@Jevbe, its really wrong for your parents to be treated that way, and something needs to be done about it, as long as your parents are aged its wrong to deny them a chance to visit you, well its a pitty.
I dont know there where health insurance fee needed to be paid alongside the visa fee, i taught the Health insurance is bought seperatly, and how much does it cost, i want to know because i will be aplying for a finnish study visa soonest,
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by brownbonno(m): 6:40am On Jun 15, 2008
Vicjustice:

Don't judge Finland wrong because of your ordeal, it's not necessarily so-that they refused visas for racial reason, in fact the refusal has got more or less to do with the financial, obligation, economic, resident and social status of the host-to-be: also, the immigration history plays a major role; such as, if a person has on one time or the other ever sought political asylum before being legalised or granted citizenship, or has ever resorted to public fund under social welfare, it's highly likely that anybody s/he invites in the future will be refused of visa. But those with reputable profession and clear immigration history seldom get treated this way.

This insinuation is totally out of context and has no bearing with immigration laws anywhere in Europe.What has social status,reputable profession or political asylum etc got to do with the rights of a citizen of a host country?I am indeed disappointed on this interpretation of your understanding of Immigration laws/issues within Europe.There is no need reacting to a post when you have no idea on how such issues can be resolved.

@Poster

You need the following to sponsor your aged parents-
1.There should be an income that will be enough to take care of your mother during the period of her visa(Not a life savings)
2.There should be an accommodation for her during the visit
3.There should be proof of relationship to show that she is your mother
4.You should write a cover note stating the period of the visit and the purpose(just to spend time with the ground children) and she have no intention to overstay her visa.
That is all that you need to invite your mother.
Without much ranting,you should write a letter to the embassy with the contact information below asking for reconsideration of your mother visa application and state categorically the reason(s) for the visit.
Contact Information: Finland's Embassy, Abuja

Visiting address:
Embassy of Finland
9 Iro Dan Musa Street
Asokoro
Abuja
Nigeria

Postal address:
Embassy of Finland
P.M.B 5140, Maputo Street
Wuse, Zone 3
Abuja
Nigeria

If you are satisfied with their response(within a month),then write a formal petition to the Finland ministry of Foreign affairs and copy your local political officer holders-
Postal address:
Ministry for Foreign Affairs
P.O.Box 176
00161 Helsinki
Finland
+358 9 160 05 or 578 15

This have nothing to do with the Nigeria government at this stage,you are a finland citizen and you must fight to protect your rights.
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Omonla(f): 7:54am On Jun 15, 2008
Jevbe:

Please provide statistics here that would demonstrate that the Finnish Imm. Officers are making their decisions based solely on race, Unless there are some numbers to back the alleged discrimination, how did you arrive at your conclusion? Or better yet, how would you prove it, if you decide to appeal, without any evidence, except that your parent, and some other two or three ladies at the Embassy, on the same day, were denied visas?
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Busybody2(f): 1:16am On Jun 16, 2008
brownbonno:

This insinuation is totally out of context and has no bearing with immigration laws anywhere in Europe.What has social status,reputable profession or political asylum etc got to do with the rights of a citizen of a host country?I am indeed disappointed on this interpretation of your understanding of Immigration laws/issues within Europe.There is no need reacting to a post when you have no idea on how such issues can be resolved. . . .

If asylum status did not matter, why, according to the OP does white Finnish people have no problem inviting people into the country, yet black Finnish citizens get their requests turned down.

If profession, finance and status did not matter, can a citizen on unemployment benefit of say $75/week apply for visa to bring his mum or dad or anyone else for that matter into the country?

Sorry o, I didn't realise that citizen of a host country had mandatory rights to visas for every Tom, Dick and Harry in their family that they wish to bring over undecided
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by bjluv: 10:47pm On May 28, 2009
Interesting, the OP is an illiterate and she is lying. I have known complete Nigerian couple who have invited their parents over and they visited and went back. I have known a student while studying here invited her mother here and she went back. What is the fuss all about race?

Your parents application doesn't worth a visa to S.Africa not to talk of Finland. Go get a life and not come here screaming ur throat out. No one force you to sit your ass there. After you enjoy asylum say, you chop Kela money up the the point that you got citizenship and you think they will allow you to bring your parents here and ask for more welfare money? Sosu have no right to support you, your family and your parents while they are here. If you are not working and contributing loads of cash back to the state than what you have received, you aint getting shit. You should already know by now Finland like all the Nordic countries are not having capitalist democracy.

They are not stupid,  they know more about you than you think you know. And what right do you think you have to automatically get visa for your extended family? In the Finnish law, your parents are no more your "family" they are extended. A family includes husband, wife and children (full stop)

Plus Finland, no be your papa own am. grin
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Wrex(m): 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2010
Why can't the children come home to see their parents?All this stories about how difficult to obtain a visa is irritating me.Why don't we all develop our land first instead of escaping to a white man's land.Its pathetic
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by euromummy: 11:02am On Apr 10, 2010
Why are some people saying, she/he should travel back to naija to see his/her mother??

Nigeria has it's up and downs

Besides, the man/woman has made it to another kind of living, is it not best that she want her/his mother to come and see another lifestyle?

How many of you here like here like mosquito to dey bite una mama till she die without her experiencing another lifestyle?
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by TitanMoon: 9:03am On Apr 11, 2010
It is justified discrimination, nigerians bring this discrimination on themselves, and have no one but themselves to blame.
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Pittbaby(f): 3:43pm On Apr 13, 2010
Nairaland always entertaining, see how people have finished the poster and nobody offered any help .

Poster I will advise that you drop the race card , it never gets you anywhere. Do your research , if you are truly a citizen I am sure you can find some recourse , visit your local immigration office and present your case and try and understand what can make your parents application better. above all the CO has the right of refusal, and it is your parents resposnbilty to prove that they do not intend to abandon their abode in Nigeria .
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Busybody2(f): 5:22pm On Apr 15, 2010
Pittbaby:

Nairaland always entertaining, see how people have finished the poster and nobody offered any help .

The Op got the advice he/she wanted by the bucketloads. Its just that there were lots of fist flying on this thread hence the trigger happy Moderator at that time (Siena) had to delete a lot of posts which unfortunately included the useful ones too . . .
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Pittbaby(f): 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2010
LOL , thanks for the explanation
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by leye1234(m): 2:03am On Apr 16, 2010
@engineerd
well, they have the right to refuse a visa. Its their freaking country for God's sake. Why don't you make your own country better? I am sick of all this visa complaints.20-40 years ago when Nigeria was a relatively good place to live in, I am sure securing a visa to a lot of countries was a cake walk. cry discrimination all you want, but its just the fact. Come back to your country and try to make a difference instead of freezing your butt off in Finland!

Thanks bro. you speak the truth.
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by Omonaijada(m): 2:28am On Nov 30, 2013
Hi My fellow Nairalanders,

I am in a state of decision making. I finished my degree program here in Poland and i intend moving to a better country with my Polish wife that is pregnant for me. I believe since i am married to an EU and hold a marriage polish resident permit, i can move with my wife to any EU country including UK. Now i have UK, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and finland on my table of decision making. I dont want to make mistakes as i want my unborn kid to have a better future as i and my Wife intend to work in one of these countries. She has 2 masters and i have just a degree. I intend furthering my studies in one of the countries mentioned above and have a normal life. I would be more than glad if i could get advice from my fellow Nigerians who live in these countries. Where is better to work and earn well? I could do any Job lol. At least for a start.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Discrimination Towards Our Parents At Finnish Embassy Abuja! by yemmyma: 10:09am On Nov 30, 2013
The choice of country you choose is dependent on what you intend to do with your life.

First, what skills do you have that would give you a professional job in any of these countries. Be reminded that all of these countries are language speaking, and i know mos of them are not easy to break into professionally without language proficiency.

So if i were you, i would start by,
1. Are you in an Engineering field, most notably Petroleum Eng. or related engineering field? If yes, i may want to consider Norway because of their low population but oil and gas jobs that might be available.
2. If you have the money to study in the U.K., i would consider that either as a first option or second. Because, if you apply there, then you will be getting an EU residence permit because of your wife. That is, you should not be affected by the work visa stuff after your study. And language won't affect you like the other countries as well.

Those are my recommendations. All other countries listed are very good countries to make money and live a decent life if you just want to work (odd jobs or better earn a vocation) and earn a good life without strong emphasis on professional career.

Good luck with your decision making process.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Russia Student Visas And Immigration New Laws / Nigerians In Malta / Any Nigerian Living In Algeria Or MOROCCO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.