Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike (14158 Views)

ASUU To Begin Strike! / Those That Signed Agreement With ASUU Dont Know Their Right From Left - Mark / Hours Into Hunger Strike, Activists Give ASUU, FG Ultimatum To End Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Bash92(m): 10:53pm On Aug 28, 2013
Snr. Correspondent, Abuja
The United States of America (USA), on Wednesday urged the Government of Nigeria, to work out a lasting solution to the lingering Academic Staff of Universities (ASUU) strike even as it decried the activities of touts who deceive Nigerian students intending to study in the US, labelling them as criminals.

US Embassy Cultural Affairs Officer, Bill Strassberger, who spoke to journalists in Abuja noted that though the US is not involved in the ASUU negotiation, said: “It is a fear, it is a worry for us.”

“That is something for the Nigerian government. It is up to work it out with the striking administration.

“We are not involved in that negotiation but we can encourage it. It is a fear, it is a worry for us because that would make it hard for the students to come.

“It may be difficult, but there is no magic wand to resolve the strike,” Strassberger said.
Also, the Head, Education USA, Jennifer Onyukwu, equally stated that the US has been concerned about the ongoing strike in so many ways.
For instance, she noted that Nigerians who are seeking admission into US schools, require their transcripts which they cannot get because of the strike.

“There is that concern because generally, the world has become a global village, people want stronger applicants in their campuses; so they want stronger senders,” she stressed.
On patronising touts to study in the US, Strassberger enjoined admission seekers to access free information which is available at all time.

“Those are the touts, those are the people that I will even call criminals because they are stealing opportunities by selling only documents by giving bad information and creating a disappointment when the person comes in with that information or with only document. And that is the result of not getting accurate information,” he said.
On her part, Contr Onyukwu said the ‘EducationUSA is here to demystify the process, explain how to take the standardised tests, how to search for schools, and how to find the best undergraduate school that is the best fit for the intending US student, including the masters programme that would not only educate the student, but may also provide scholarship or financial aid to study while in the US.’

Onyukwu said Nigeria has been US’s largest sender of African students from sub-saharan Africa to the US.
“In the past six years, the US has spent over $40 million on scholarships and financial aid for undergraduate and graduate students, the US is expecting to do more in the coming year,” she assured.

www.dailyindependentnig.com/2013/08/us-urges-fg-to-work-with-ASUU-to-end-strike/

1 Like

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Bash92(m): 10:57pm On Aug 28, 2013
Its an honour that these make it to the front page actually the third story to make it to FP in this month.
To the topic.......FG please listen to the US oooo.
EDITED: Actually the fourth
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Issygirl(f): 11:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by mazizitonene(m): 11:15pm On Aug 28, 2013
Interesting....if FG and ASUU go listen kwanu
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Dubby6(m): 11:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
Tank God US don put mouth nd i no say Goodluck dey fear Obama

1 Like

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by toyorsiii(f): 11:32pm On Aug 28, 2013
oga o...na us dey follow us beg now...FG shame on u
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by lymelyte(m): 11:36pm On Aug 28, 2013
Is it not a shame that other countries are interfering in our education.

7 Likes

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:05am On Aug 29, 2013
so US government must shook mouth for every matter wey concern Nigeria...?, i smell a rat undecided, and as for FG, it is really a big shame that this issue is now going outside the country, i wonder what those countries that hate Nigerians will be saying regarding this country in times like this.

8 Likes

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Youngzedd(m): 12:43pm On Aug 29, 2013
Booked.

1 Like

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 29, 2013
so even oyinbo government don put mouth for naija matter

im ashamed of Nigeria
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 29, 2013
I McKinney m
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Kx: 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2013
Are we truly an independent and sovereign state?
Cant our leadership govern in way that
-US would not wade into our internal ASUU-FG faceoff?
-UK wont wade into our "cost intensive space project" because they are donors to "poor" african country that would rather plough her resources into space technology?
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2013
Now some duck head will keep screaming "Fresh Air"
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2013
What a shame.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Jaywilzee(m): 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2013
I urge US...to. Give me VISA :DI
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 29, 2013
US interference in nigeria politics is becoming too much. Abeg make dem go sit down. When dere Health care saga was on,it lasted more than this ASUU Strike.

1 Like

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by gingin7434: 12:50pm On Aug 29, 2013
deejay_harry1: so even oyinbo government don put mouth for naija matter

im ashamed of Nigeria
Den port to Libya
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 29, 2013
Wetin concern 'busy body' USA for dis matter so?

FG should tell them to go f**k themselves(pardon my French).

6 Likes

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Saraben(f): 12:51pm On Aug 29, 2013
God help naija
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by safarigirl(f): 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2013
US can like to do gbegborun sha....make dem kwukwuma beg FG to give the ones wey don graduate job too.

Na so dem go come, with the proverbial thorned rose...these Americans will jump at any opportunity to send a nation into turmoil- preferably one with oil.

The kasala wey dem cause for Egypt and Libya never do them...dem dey find other casualties.
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2013
so if America no talk,dem no suppose know say a country that fails to invest in its people is a tickling time bomb,waiting to explode...seems our leaders deliberately want more illiterate population so that we may not know our right,and see everything they do as privilege...why on earth would they allow the ASUU strike takes longer than this?
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by moscobabs(m): 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2013
Our dirty cloth has been spread outside....shame on GEJ government
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by alphaconde(m): 12:53pm On Aug 29, 2013
E remain pope wey need to intervene. I forsee the longest ASUU strike in recent times.

But if you ask me ASUU is the main problem here.

The only reason why we have half baked graduates is because lecturers to go to class they don't motivvate students, the problem is more human than infastructural.

3 Likes

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by seangy4konji: 12:53pm On Aug 29, 2013
Wetin concern us for our education matter.if dem pass any law or strike?nigeria fit talk,wen dem pass abortion law or same sex marriage?anybody interfere?wen naija say no to say same marriage,dem interfere again..make dem face dem country na.

2 Likes

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Kairoseki77: 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2013
Before some people come to chastise the US.

“In the past six years, the US has spent over $40 million on scholarships and financial aid for undergraduate and graduate students, the US is expecting to do more in the coming year,” she assured.
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Danhumprey: 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2013
Oga Jona,if you can end ASUU strikes,and prevent them from taking to strike in the future,I prophesy that no Egunje,babalawo or any herbalist would stop you from reclaiming Aso Rock in the next election!

Damn! These constant strikes by ASUU as a result of government not providing the required fund for our Educational sector is not helping at all. Let the government do something fast.
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Tintinix: 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2013
Jaywilzee: I urge US...to. Give me VISA :DI

That's why US is urging Niaja to end the strike...
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2013
WWW.ASSHOLESTRIKE.COM
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by bigboy3: 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
US interference in nigeria politics is becoming too much. Abeg make dem go sit down. When dere Health care saga was on,it lasted more than this ASUU Strike.

The US isn't your enemy but your own very Government.

2 Likes

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by sisqology(m): 12:56pm On Aug 29, 2013
They dont want
Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by mascot87(m): 12:56pm On Aug 29, 2013
Some Nigerian either here in Nigeria or in the diaspora would have met with some US officials asking them to interven in ASUU/FG face off cos dey know that our leader takes instructions from there oga at the top.The dispute between ASUU and FG will end in a matter of days cos the ogas at the top has spoken.That is the situation we find ourself.Nigerian students will be here very soon to thank the oga at the top for intervening. cheesy

1 Like

Re: US Urges FG To Work With ASUU To End Strike by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 29, 2013

Ok. Will they hear? That's another story.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tony Nwulu Condemns Elisha Abbo, Demands His Prosecution / May 29 Presidential Inauguration Remains Sacrosanct – IGP Warns / Elumelu - "My Mother Was Kidnapped After I Signed Fertiliser Plant Deal"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.