Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Is Seun Getting It Wrong? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is Seun Getting It Wrong? (1572 Views)

Is Seun Monetizing Nairaland Effectively? / Why Is Seun Osewa's Name Not In Wikipedia?? / Is Seun A Billionaire With Nairaland, Like Mark Zuckerberg Of Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dtop10: 4:13pm On Aug 29, 2013
Hi Webmasters, I want us to critical examine web business in Nigeria using nairaland as the sample. I believe at the end of this discourse, many webmasters, Seun inclusive, will learn one or two thing here. FACT: Nairaland is not profitable as expected. EVIDENCES: The advertisement are not forthcoming as predicted before Nairaland starts accepting advertisement from public. I am yet to hear that Seun has bought a SUV Pajero Jeep or a mansion or acquired a company which I believe he is entitled to, considering his ownership of the mighty Nairaland! The ads boxes are always empty. The only regular one is the car import business which tempts one to conclude that Seun is probably trying his hand in import business. MATTER ARISING: Is Seun ads fees unnecessarily high? The cost of ads no doubt affects the turnover which in turn affects the profitablity. Does Nairaland need a salemen? In business world, one need to go out and talk with potential customers. That is why banks recruit young ladies. What about selling Nairaland shares while Seun retains 55 percent in order to bring more business acument on board? With 55 percent, seun still has the final say about nairaland. Again, should seun goes into show business to indirectly boost Nairaland's profitability? Who knows Glo may make him their ambassador! What is Seun not doing that he should be doing? I am just for Nairaland's profitability!
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
Instead of been focused planning how to make something out of your own life and career, you are busy here trying to analyse someone's business. Keeping waiting for Seun to inform you that he has bought an SUV. You think everybody is like Linda Ikeji that showcases her car on her blog.

I believe Seun is cooking something. Most importantly, placing ad on Nairaland should be done by the advertiser and he will pay with Credit Card. I know there are still things Seun need to fix and I know he's aware and hes working on them.

So telling us to start analyzing his income and bla bla bla, is not necessary. A lot of threads have been opened here trying to know what Seun's income is or to compare NL and Linda Ikeji's blog.

2 Likes

Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 5:29pm On Aug 29, 2013
as graphicsplus once said 'guys are not sleeping'
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2013
What has op contributed to the web community since ALLEGED(a nairaland slang) inception?

1 Like

Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 7:38pm On Aug 29, 2013
*dhtml:
What has op contributed to the web community since ALLEGED(a nairaland slang) inception?

He just joined NL this afternoon, with time he will reveal his stuff that made him one of 'the top 10' and I am sure he will not fumble. Abi dtop10?

So *dhtml just a little more patience.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dtop10: 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2013
I sincere apologise if I am in the wrong crowd! I am not new here but I had to create a new account when I cant remember my nairaland user name and password which I created year back. The truth is the way people here reason and comment never allow me to actively participate in this forum and this explains how I forget my user name and password! My use of SUV, MANSION etc are just personifications! I believe one is entitled to ask any question no and discuss anything matter how ridiculous in a forum. I also believe that by closely studying other people works, one learns and improves. I should have known better that I am in a Nigerian forum where people show their intelligence and wisdom by abusing each other. I appeal to the moderator to kindly delect this thread. I apologise again!
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by sunday478(m): 9:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
If he join this afternoon and created this topic, them I think he wants to go under cover, am sure he is one core member of this section and wouldn't want his name to be printed among those that analyses people's income.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2013
It's a pity you forgot your username and password. Which is not possible except u are lying. If I leave NL now, next ten years, I will still remember that I used GraphicsPlus as username.

Sorry, if we shocked u. Next time when u leave a forum for a long time, when you come back, try to look around before you create a thread and not just jumping in to write whatever you like. And mind u, as u pointed out, forum is not where u say whatever u like or create any thread u like. That is why we hav moderators who check our excesses and delete useless and spammy threads.

My brother, u are welcome back to NL. Now, u can face reality.

1 Like

Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2013
@dtop10 okai ri (welcome back)

@topic go through seun's past posts of like a month ago and you will observe Seun has been stocking up for a bigger launch of grabbing more of the webspace pie. Guys are not sleeping.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2013
But honestly @dtop10 how would you feel if you know a guy that is 24-7 wracking his brains out on projects and a newcomer comes on stage and the very first thing, I mean the very first thing is calling him lazy bones (actually Seun is chubbyish from his profile pix)? and to cap it up calls himself Voltron - defender of the universe as if in taunt.

Objectively I thought you would have taken up the sarcasm as a chance to really prove what you have been doing is real stuff. I do not know the guy personally but heck! he's got something between his two ears. So I repeat

LET NO ONE ELSE INTENTIONALLY GIVE SEUN A RUDE SLAP (of course if he deserves it I will join you put jara) WHILE I AM AROUND!

Cheers
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
--
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 10:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
--
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Aug 29, 2013
--
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by emmawhe: 7:23am On Aug 30, 2013
Graphicplus, pls i want to know about niit from you. I am taking network engineering under mms(master mind series) course.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:39am On Aug 30, 2013
What do u want to know about NIIT? You are taking a course with them and you want to know about them from me?
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 30, 2013
i have always wanted to drop my view about the ads.

but who knows, he is already working same thing out i want to believe
i mean a system that allows users place ads and bid for position

more like CPC & CPM thing.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2013
IMHO I believe title should have read 'What should seun do/what is seun doing to improve on nairaland' and then opinions would have come in like webdezzi's.

P.S
teemy: --
*dhtml:
--
Censorship ba?
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtmlextreme(m): 9:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
Yeah, the censorship rubbish, plus *dhtml seem to have been banned.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtmlextreme(m): 9:16pm On Aug 30, 2013
In fact, i hate that stoopid and clueless boy to be precise, and sometimes he needs to be yabbed too. But not like this really. . .
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 10:13pm On Aug 30, 2013
[quote author=]Yeah, the censorship rubbish, plus *dhtml seem to have been banned.[/quote]Pele dear.
Depends on what is seen as threathening to his pot of soup. BTW mods are actually in charge of most of these things. NL is Seun's so live with it. Hoping to see more webstars of Africa. Open market destroys monopoly on the short run.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtmlextreme(m): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
This market is already self-destructing as it seems, it is a matter of time. . .unless measures are taken
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 11:25pm On Aug 30, 2013
@topic Analysing profitability of the web arena

It is to be noted that all businesses are in reality not so different from one another in mode of operation.

e.g

- A businessman (in the common use of the word) buys and sells while hoping to make profit could gain or lose.

- A suckling baby sells cries and tears to purchase nature's juice (talk about an unwanted commodity making sales)

- A politician selling promises of a better tomorrow to buy votes

- A cranky lover boy promising heaven and earth to purchase affection

- An orator selling his speech to buy convictions

From the above all business transactions require a buying and a selling. Atimes transactions have sub-transactions. Sellable items could be physical such as money or non physical such as feelings or time. All businesses are out to buy something in return. The person who has a perceived higher return on sales over expenditure is said to be making profits.

Understanding the above explains why some are content with just a little which is their projected return as all projections might not totally be cash.

I was talking to a colleague today and we were talking about obstacles that meet the regular joe programmer in a country such as Nigeria; Power(inavailability or costs of running generator sets), internet access (poor or costly) and a condusive environment (talk about police issues for just moving a laptop across the streets)and at the same time needs to do basic things like feeding, paying bills, e.t.c but Fame and Glory Highway has only addresses for successful people and not me-too-wanted-to-do-it-o crew.

So, getting it right on yet a low budjet from the onset is required so that stress on the long run does not pull out ones's interest and desires/dreams.

Workspace
- A laptop with charger (if possible get a surge protector)
- A power extension
- A Mouse
- Bank Token (for internet transactions)
- A Mastercard or Visa powered ATM card
- A Internet Modem
- A shuttle bag (not the laptop bag to keep out the popo from causing yoyo)
(I might edit the list above just in case I missed something out)

Missing out any one on this list could have you paying in more cash or time.

Google has everything, at least nearly everything
Whatever it may be someone somewhere has done it before. All you just need do is run the web oracle and presto you have hints on how they started without you churning out wasted funds or time to gain a lesson learnt the hard way. Also, keep Wikipedia in close touch.

Your Goal
Goals are a dime a dozen as many are not even original. Several 'I want a site like Nairaland', 'I want a social networking site like Facebook' and so on as dreamers keep on trying to copycat someone else's original dream. Try being original. Get a problem people have and possibly even yourself have and try solving it.

Marketing Model - Letting people know you do the things you do
Social Networking/marketing is a model way of letting people who originally interact with themselves pass on the message via such means about your site/product/stuff.
A lot others exist; affiliate, viral, email, seo and abbl.

Profitability - Free is a nice word but it doesn't pay the bills
Free services like Nairaland and Facebook allow members a nice environment of human interaction and at the same time without making it start akwardly in their faces present advert spaces among other things as a way of making sales. More on this later.

Protecting your investment
A regular thing to have in mind and so incorporating it as a practice like in when you are coding your site would make it easir to do as time goes on. Other things like not letting your domain or hosting services lapse before renewing, keeping undesired elements like bots in check and probably doing what a modearator did in censorship of posts above including mine as well. Thing is you cannot allow dogs to poo in your living room else with time your friends and visitors will have new friends elsewhere. It's your dream/livelihood so protect with all that is you and be wise doing so.

It's night, gotta sleep. Will be back with the rest later.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtml(m): 5:34am On Aug 31, 2013
teemy: IMHO I believe title should have read 'What should seun do/what is seun doing to improve on nairaland' and then opinions would have come in like webdezzi's.

P.S

Censorship ba?
The interesting thing is that *dhtml cannot post anything on webmasters board only, but no restriction to other boards or so it will seem. Did not know moderators have this kinda powers o!!
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 10:02am On Aug 31, 2013
dhtml:
The interesting thing is that *dhtml cannot post anything on webmasters board only ...
just look past the mod's lapses and be the bigger man else you might end up like others looking for a bone to pick with seun always.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by bizfirst: 1:55pm On Aug 31, 2013
OP, the patience of the tiger when it waits for its prey is not stupidity...I advise you go start a forum, get your first 10000 users then come back here and analyse other people's income...I'll respect you better. Till then is my respectful comment for now.
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtmlextreme(m): 4:38pm On Aug 31, 2013
teemy: just look past the mod's lapses and be the bigger man else you might end up like others looking for a bone to pick with seun always.
Nay, i aint picking on seun, just testing testing to see if i will get banned again
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by teemy(m): 9:05pm On Aug 31, 2013
Caramba!

BTW same way we know it is not possible to win an argument with your computer, it is never possible to win a duel with the hatchet men in this case. Let's just continue with the topic. Tomorrow after church service then. Jaana

P.S Awaiting your response on the NSE Api thread.

dhtml: And i got banned yet again!

ROTFLOL grin
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtml(m): 9:12pm On Aug 31, 2013
And i got banned yet again!
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by Ajibel(m): 12:24am On Sep 01, 2013
If i were in Seun's shoes, i'd focus on launching new start-ups(which i believe he is doing nau) then make NL ad-free introducing new features too. GEJ & GOVS ought to be on NL by nau embarassed
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by dhtml(m): 1:34am On Sep 01, 2013
All them them self-appointed seun's advisers sef. . .oops, them go soon bbaannnn me again now!
Re: Is Seun Getting It Wrong? by Ajibel(m): 6:53am On Sep 01, 2013
embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blog With Adsense For Sale / FB Page With 43k Likes For Sale / If You Have BAN/DISABLE Verified Google Adsense Or Admob Account Inbox

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.