Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,730 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Yogurt And Vaginal Health - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yogurt And Vaginal Health (3710 Views)

PHOTO:NAFDAC Seizes Expired Dunone Yogurt And Intercepts Truckload Of Fake Wines / Pregnancy And Vaginal Discharge / Medication For Vaginal Itching? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yogurt And Vaginal Health by xsay(m): 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2013
Yogurt Help Vaginal Health

Can Yogurt Help Vaginal Health?
The consensus seems to be Yes. Fermented milk products contain so-called “probiotic,” or “good” bacteria, including lactobacillus, acidophilus , and bifidobacterium , that compete with Candida in the vagina. Candida is a common yeast found in our colon and in women's vaginas. It can overgrow if healthy bacteria are killed (when taking antibiotics) and lead to a yeast infection. The probiotics found in yogurt are thought to counter the growth of Candida. That is considered a desirable effect.

In a Finnish study conducted of 320 women, researchers found that those who ate three or more servings per week of yogurt–or in some cases, cheeses made from fermented milk–had far fewer UTIs than those who didn’t eat yogurt or ate it only infrequently.
Several studies have found that to cause a significant reduction in the occurrence of yeast infections, people need to consume at least one serving of yogurt per day. In these studies, the yogurt contained acidophilus bacteria, which is generally noted on food labels as containing “live” or “active” cultures.

Half of all women will experience a yeast infection in their lifetime. Women who suffer from repeated infections may want to add yogurt to their regular diets, and have at least one serving daily. Because yeast feeds on sugar, most researchers recommend choosing low sugar or unsweetened yogurts.

P.S. once you have a yeast infection or UTI, you must take antibiotics to treat them- yogurt will do nothing for an active infection, but it can help prevent them.
Source: http://safetyperiods..com/2013/08/yogurt-vaginal-health.html
Re: Yogurt And Vaginal Health by marvelling(m): 9:38pm On Aug 29, 2013
@op I am a microbiologist and I can categorically tell you that once the microflora of the va.gin.a is destroyed it can never be restored using yogurt therapy.

Although I agree that the same bacterium (lactobacillus) present in yogurt is also the predominant bacterium in the va.gin.a being part of the normal flora of that region. This bacterium is important because it successfully competes against other disease causing microbes by the production of lactic acid which inhibits the growth of the pathogens. Women have to be careful when undergoing antibiotic therapy because this can permanently alter the growth & population dynamics of microbes in the va.gin.a to the detriment of the woman in question. Anything that causes a drop in population of lactobacillus will render that lady susceptible to constant va.gin.al infections.

YOGURT therapy CANNOT rejuvenate the microflora of the va.gin.a. It does not really work. Please non of y'all should waste your money on this stuff.
Re: Yogurt And Vaginal Health by xsay(m): 9:47pm On Aug 29, 2013
marvelling: @op I am a microbiologist and I can categorically tell you that once the microflora of the va.gin.a is destroyed it can never be restored using yogurt therapy.

Although I agree that the same bacterium (lactobacillus) present in yogurt is also the predominant bacterium in the va.gin.a being part of the normal flora of that region. This bacterium is important because it successfully competes against other disease causing microbes by the production of lactic acid which inhibits the growth of the pathogens. Women have to be careful when undergoing antibiotic therapy because this can permanently alter the growth & population dynamics of microbes in the va.gin.a to the detriment of the woman in question. Anything that causes a drop in population of lactobacillus will render that lady susceptible to constant va.gin.al infections.

YOGURT therapy CANNOT rejuvenate the microflora of the va.gin.a. It does not really work. Please non of y'all should waste your money on this stuff.
Thanks for your post... am also a Microbiologist ...
Am not saying you can use yogurt to treat or restored Microflora using Yogurt therapy.. check my blog to see the full articl. Thanks
Re: Yogurt And Vaginal Health by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 29, 2013
I heard yoghurt is good for thrush lipsrsealed
Re: Yogurt And Vaginal Health by teejay08: 10:31pm On Aug 30, 2013
I think its why yoghurt Ȋ̝̊̅§ particularly advised in pregnancy because pregnant women are more susceptible to vaginal infections.
Re: Yogurt And Vaginal Health by xsay(m): 8:01am On Sep 10, 2013
@teejay.. Yes
Re: Yogurt And Vaginal Health by iamaibeekay: 4:46am On Apr 23, 2021
[color=#000099][/color]so if yoghort can't restore it then what can?

marvelling:
@op I am a microbiologist and I can categorically tell you that once the microflora of the va.gin.a is destroyed it can never be restored using yogurt therapy.

(1) (Reply)

7 Foods You Should Avoid In Pregnancy / Calls Of Attention To This: Health Benefits Of Bitter Gourd Leaves / How I Escaped Hiv Infection (a True Life Story).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.