Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' (2143 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Religious People Less Driven By Compassion Than Are Atheists And Agnostics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by huxley(m): 8:48pm On Jun 12, 2008
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-'less-likely-to-believe-in-God'.html

Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God'
By Graeme Paton, Education Editor

People with higher IQs are less likely to believe in God, according to a new study.

Professor Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ulster University, said many more members of the "intellectual elite" considered themselves atheists than the national average.

A decline in religious observance over the last century was directly linked to a rise in average intelligence, he claimed.

But the conclusions - in a paper for the academic journal Intelligence - have been branded "simplistic" by critics.

Professor Lynn, who has provoked controversy in the past with research linking intelligence to race and sex, said university academics were less likely to believe in God than almost anyone else.

A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

A separate poll in the 90s found only seven per cent of members of the American National Academy of Sciences believed in God.

Professor Lynn said most primary school children believed in God, but as they entered adolescence - and their intelligence increased - many started to have doubts.

He told Times Higher Education magazine: "Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population. Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God."

He said religious belief had declined across 137 developed nations in the 20th century at the same time as people became more intelligent.

But Professor Gordon Lynch, director of the Centre for Religion and Contemporary Society at Birkbeck College, London, said it failed to take account of a complex range of social, economic and historical factors.

"Linking religious belief and intelligence in this way could reflect a dangerous trend, developing a simplistic characterisation of religion as primitive, which - while we are trying to deal with very complex issues of religious and cultural pluralism - is perhaps not the most helpful response," he said.

Dr Alistair McFadyen, senior lecturer in Christian theology at Leeds University, said the conclusion had "a slight tinge of Western cultural imperialism as well as an anti-religious sentiment".

Dr David Hardman, principal lecturer in learning development at London Metropolitan University, said: "It is very difficult to conduct true experiments that would explicate a causal relationship between IQ and religious belief. Nonetheless, there is evidence from other domains that higher levels of intelligence are associated with a greater ability - or perhaps willingness - to question and overturn strongly felt institutions."

Have your say: Is faith linked to intelligence?
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 12, 2008
Neither here nor there.

ALL will die one day and face God ---> (apparent) intelligence notwithstanding.

=============
BTW, go and find out what this means =>

Isaiah 29.14 => "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE, AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE."
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by cgift(m): 9:07pm On Jun 12, 2008
Queshion: Is faith linked to intelligence?

Answer: NO!

Else all the great scientists we have ever had will decry God vehemently. On the oposite, they were actually very firm believers. Check out the factsd in history.
Unless you want to say those guys are not intelligent and then i wil know that your grey matter has expired.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by huxley(m): 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2008
cgift:

Queshion: Is faith linked to intelligence?

Answer: NO!

Else all the great scientists we have ever had will decry God vehemently. On the oposite, they were actually very firm believers. Check out the factsd in history.
Unless you want to say those guys are not intelligent and then i wil know that your grey matter has expired.

You have to realise that until recently one could not openly declare one's skepticism in religious matters. Just look at the hounding Bertrand Russell got for being openly critical of religion (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3860/is_200111/ai_n9008065)

Since the Middle Ages, the trend amongst scientist has been a steady and prominent decline in religiosity, especially since the authorities have stop discriminating against non-believers. There was a time when you could not get admission into Cambridge and other major universities if you were not religious. Thankfully those dark days are long gone. So it is no surprise that earlier scientist, being brought up in a religious environment that was hostile to non-belief, would have been mostly religious.

In today's free-market of ideology, it is no surprise that the vast majority of elite scientist are non-believers as evidence from the membership of the Royal Society and the American National Institute of Science, viz;

A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

A separate poll in the 90s found only seven per cent of members of the American National Academy of Sciences believed in God.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 13, 2008
God mostly operates in the realm of "Pure Knowledge".

Remember Jesus' prayer of thanksgiving over 2000 years ago.

Luke 10:21 => Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for hiding these things from wise and intelligent people and revealing them to little children. ,

======
What we humans hail to be genius is oftentimes B.S in the sight of God. cheesy cheesy
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by skyone(m): 8:42am On Jun 13, 2008
The king of pride and stupidity (Satan) thought he was intelligent what happened to him, flogged down to earth; so beware of him.

You shld have said the foolish ones not intelligent :
Psalm 14:1
The fool has said in his heart,
“There is no God.”,  The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men. To see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside. They have together become corrupt,
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by joomiegal(f): 9:58am On Jun 13, 2008
Intelligent people less likely to believe in God Only goes to show how incredibly daft they are in the first place. God's defintion/view of wisdom is at loggerheads with the world's anyways,

@ huxley, please no vex, ( i really, reaally, mean no offence), but where do you have time to dig up all ur atheistic, often esoteric information and threads from? undecided im just curious, what do you do 4 a living?? please reply, tanx
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by tsharp(m): 10:39am On Jun 13, 2008
intelligent people are less likely to believe in religion
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by huxley(m): 12:43pm On Jun 13, 2008
joomiegal:

Intelligent people less likely to believe in God Only goes to show how incredibly daft they are in the first place. God's defintion/view of wisdom is at loggerheads with the world's anyways,

@ huxley, please no vex, ( i really, reaally, mean no offence), but where do you have time to dig up all your atheistic, often esoteric information and threads from? undecided im just curious, what do you do 4 a living?? please reply, thanks

I no vex oo.  I understand you be curious to know-o.

Well I have had an academic interest in religion for well over twenty years, since I started doubting its teachings when I was about 15/16 years old.  I have a personal library of about 100 books soley on religions, beliefs and mythologies. And about 30 books on philosophy and many other books on general sciences from geology, astronomy, biology, physics etc. I have been pursuing these interest for many years. Every month I purchase 3 or 4 new books on these subjects as well.  I periodically do a clean-out and send old books to Africa.

I work as and IT consultant for a well known global bank and work from home quite a great deal.  When I travel to work, I am usually accompanied by a couple of these books to keep me company.

I also scan the internet for anything on the religious/philosophical interest. The internet is a great resource for autodidacts like myself.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by sleekymag(m): 12:21pm On Jun 14, 2008
Intelligent people might believe in God, but maybe some of them see through religion as it were, and a good number have come to the conclusion that it's all a hoax.

We have real and fake pastors, and those fake ones whose gimmicks or foul play have been found out, further help to strengthen the resolve of these people who don't believe in God, to stay further away.

However, a good number of these intelligent people believe in God and in some of the doctrines present today, however few they may seem. Broad is the way that leads to destruction and narrow is the way that lead to life eternal.
Isaiah 5: 21 says
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

However if you truly desire to know the truth, ask God in prayers, and i'm telling you that situations will unfold that will make you see the truth as it is.

In my opinion however, a thousand books, cannot replace the importance of the all-important book, The Holy Bible. It's full of mysteries and you can never know it all. Each day you find new and amazing revelations about what God says. It's man's manual for living!
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by Frizy(m): 1:41pm On Jun 14, 2008
And when it is said unto them:"believe as the people believe", they(the disbelievers) say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe?(God said) Are not they indeed the foolish but they know not.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by nanayisha: 3:23pm On Jun 15, 2008
God created man to be intelligent. By far the most intelligent of all of His creation. But, like everything else, if not applied sensibly that intelligent is just another tool for self destruction. God has given us the knowledge to build great skyscrapers, fly planes, sail ships, go to space, IV treatments and countless technologies and sciences that we apply in our life's every day.
The problem is that human beings become arrogant. They feel confident in what they think is intelligence. So we begin by discounting god in our lives, then we challenge the exist of god, then we deny God completely.
We create sciences and technologies that allows lesbians to have babies without a father, we clone living things, and we also make designer babies. however, what we fail to realize is the possible limitations of intelligence. we never think of the fact that we know all we know because God as allowed it. what about the things we have no knowledge of?

moreover, what is the measure of intelligence? is it mathematics, Sciences, economics, literature? these are only subjects studied by people in institutions. Are we to discount the intelligence of the people that did not go to university, but believe in god? what about the basic exists of humans. They are still people in parts of the world that life in jungles, that are self efficient, that use technology and logical intelligence on a daily basis, are we to discount their believes because they can not read or write, but they know about which leaves to use for medicines, which animal is dangerous and basic survival intelligence.

I my self do not consider myself to me intelligence, I consider myself to be clever and logical. I went to university, got and HND, got a Degree, and I thank God everyday for life and the knowledge and opportunities of knowledge he has given me. So which category do I fall under?
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by SunGod1: 5:53pm On Jun 15, 2008
HEEE! The spineless mods or whoever that removed my thread " only illiterates, retards and imbeciles believe the bible word for word" have done their worst and no more. Why it hurts so much to expose the sheninigans of the christian world baffles me.

If it was a thread to sing praises to a non living figment of our imagination called god, the mods would have promoted it to a premium thread so as to encourage more zombies to part take. But whenever they see an Athiest that is ready to crumble the very substratrum of their ignominable belief, they shake in their pants because they know they cant justify the atrocities and monsterous activities of a god they so blindly worship.

As this thread states, intelligent people are less likely to believe in such rubbish and fables called god and if the illiterates and retards who are clinging on weak straw believing such nonsense as god continue to discriminate because i dont give 2 flying fuc****ks about the bible and god, they your far worse than your holy or un holy mentor.

You can ban an unban, delete or undelete, bottom line "God is a fairy tale and no matter how you try and console yourself that he exists, you would only do more harm to your brains by becoming less intelligent everyday when you read such nonsensical mumbo jumbo!

Atheists Rule!
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by IDINRETE: 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2008
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by IDINRETE: 9:23pm On Jun 15, 2008
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by joomiegal(f): 10:14am On Jun 16, 2008
huxley:

I no vex oo. I understand you be curious to know-o.

Well I have had an academic interest in religion for well over twenty years, since I started doubting its teachings when I was about 15/16 years old. I have a personal library of about 100 books soley on religions, beliefs and mythologies. And about 30 books on philosophy and many other books on general sciences from geology, astronomy, biology, physics etc. I have been pursuing these interest for many years. Every month I purchase 3 or 4 new books on these subjects as well. I periodically do a clean-out and send old books to Africa.

I work as and IT consultant for a well known global bank and work from home quite a great deal. When I travel to work, I am usually accompanied by a couple of these books to keep me company.

I also scan the internet for anything on the religious/philosophical interest. The internet is a great resource for autodidacts like myself.

@ huxley
ok, that explains it. your job sounds like fun, though. correct me if im wrong, but most christian nairalanders who are familiar with you will agree, that its like you spend all your NOT searching for the truth, but energetically trying to JUSTIFY your beliefs. I really, really wish you were honestly searching for the truth, for then you would find it, you would know it in your heart, it would be revealed to you and no one would be able to shake you from it, so, are you really searching, or ur on a justification mission? if its justification ur looking for, you will find loads and loads of it, people with crazy ideas and so called "research" to back it up, imagine, they've even given demon-possesion a name, "Multiple Personality disorder", that a person can have up to 50 personalities that manifest, with a change in voice, habits, food prefrences, even different prescriptions for reading glasses, and the 'host' will have no recollection of the manifestation time, its a blank in his mind, young children getting demonised because the united states implemented several curricular that says children have hidden potentials and need to discover their 'inner guides' to help them reach it, and so they practice eastern meditation and 'invite' these guides' into their minds, all in the name of helping them reach their potential, and, laff laff, there's research to back it all up, the list is endless.
Research is great, but dont put so much faith in it, any poor deluded soul can wake up one morning and start research backing his claims that eating your own poo will make you live longer.

havent you ever wondered why man is energetically trying to disprove the existence of God? everyone was born with a sense of right and wrong. some people spend all their lives trying to smother that in-built sense. they hate the idea of an unseen God looking over their shoulder. they hate the sense of 'guilt'.

Dont mind my story o, please just read wot im writing with an open mind, i dont know why my heart is so drawn to you. i agree with you, "religion" is bondage. BUT, real christianity is NOT a religion, its a way of life. Im telling you huxley, when you SEE real christians, not church-goers or 'religious' people, u'll know its the real deal. the enemy has always been good at counterfeiting, hence the several, lemme call them 'cults' that claim they are christian churches. The devil is smart, hey, he's several thousand years older than any of us. despite the fact that the early christians were being fed to lions, dropped in vats of hot oil, etc, the gospel only grew stronger. people were actually DYING for it, but it was growing faster than the devil believed was possible. He saw that head-on opposition wasnt working, so he did something very smart, he infiltrated them instead!! Enter the roman catholic church!! a bunch of pagans who made 'peace' with the christians, adopting their form of worship but still holding onto pagan practices, they still bow down and pray to statues till date in the name of praying to some saint to intercede for them, something God totally abhors(see Ex 20 verse 4).
And the roman catholic church was one of his greatest weapons against christians, annihilating millions of them in the great inquisition centuries ago. Even their highest bishops never SMELT a bible in their lives, anything the pope said was gospel, until God shone His light in the mind of Martin Luther, most of the early the early bible translators were matyred trying to translate the bible to common english and make it accessible to all-the devil was desperate to keep us in the darkness! im sure ure familiar with all this stufff.

My point is, any man, christian, muslim, budhist, who is TRULY SEARCHING for the truth, eventually finds it. so, mon ami, which is it? are you truly, truly searching with an open mind, or ure energetically trying to justify or deny the existence of God and his mercy? i dont need an answer, but its a question i think is worth asking yourself.

good luck, praying for you.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by joomiegal(f): 10:22am On Jun 16, 2008
Sun God:

HEEE! The spineless mods or whoever that removed my thread " only illiterates, retards and imbeciles believe the bible word for word" have done their worst and no more. Why it hurts so much to expose the sheninigans of the christian world baffles me.

If it was a thread to sing praises to a non living figment of our imagination called god, the mods would have promoted it to a premium thread so as to encourage more zombies to part take. But whenever they see an Athiest that is ready to crumble the very substratrum of their ignominable belief, they shake in their pants because they know they can't justify the atrocities and monsterous activities of a god they so blindly worship.

As this thread states, intelligent people are less likely to believe in such rubbish and fables called god and if the illiterates and retards who are clinging on weak straw believing such nonsense as god continue to discriminate because i don't give 2 flying fuc****ks about the bible and god, they your far worse than your holy or un holy mentor.

You can ban an unban, delete or undelete, bottom line "God is a fairy tale and no matter how you try and console yourself that he exists, you would only do more harm to your brains by becoming less intelligent everyday when you read such nonsensical mumbo jumbo!

Atheists Rule!

Atheists rule, huh! grin grin grin heh heh, more like atheists WILL BURN!!!! Chikena!! cry cry
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by huxley(m): 10:51am On Jun 16, 2008
joomiegal:

@ huxley
ok, that explains it. your job sounds like fun, though. correct me if im wrong, but most christian nairalanders who are familiar with you will agree, that its like you spend all your NOT searching for the truth, but energetically trying to JUSTIFY your beliefs. I really, really wish you were honestly searching for the truth, for then you would find it, you would know it in your heart, it would be revealed to you and no one would be able to shake you from it, so, are you really searching, or your on a justification mission? if its justification your looking for, you will find loads and loads of it, people with crazy ideas and so called "research" to back it up, imagine, they've even given demon-possesion a name, "Multiple Personality disorder", that a person can have up to 50 personalities that manifest, with a change in voice, habits, food prefrences, even different prescriptions for reading glasses, and the 'host' will have no recollection of the manifestation time, its a blank in his mind, young children getting demonised because the united states implemented several curricular that says children have hidden potentials and need to discover their 'inner guides' to help them reach it, and so they practice eastern meditation and 'invite' these guides' into their minds, all in the name of helping them reach their potential, and, laff laff, there's research to back it all up, the list is endless.
Research is great, but don't put so much faith in it, any poor deluded soul can wake up one morning and start research backing his claims that eating your own poo will make you live longer.

havent you ever wondered why man is energetically trying to disprove the existence of God? everyone was born with a sense of right and wrong. some people spend all their lives trying to smother that in-built sense. they hate the idea of an unseen God looking over their shoulder. they hate the sense of 'guilt'.

Dont mind my story o, please just read wot im writing with an open mind, i don't know why my heart is so drawn to you. i agree with you, "religion" is bondage. BUT, real christianity is NOT a religion, its a way of life. I'm telling you huxley, when you SEE real christians, not church-goers or 'religious' people, u'll know its the real deal. the enemy has always been good at counterfeiting, hence the several, let me call them 'cults' that claim they are christian churches. The devil is smart, hey, he's several thousand years older than any of us. despite the fact that the early christians were being fed to lions, dropped in vats of hot oil, etc, the gospel only grew stronger. people were actually DYING for it, but it was growing faster than the devil believed was possible. He saw that head-on opposition wasnt working, so he did something very smart, he infiltrated them instead!! Enter the roman catholic church!! a bunch of pagans who made 'peace' with the christians, adopting their form of worship but still holding onto pagan practices, they still bow down and pray to statues till date in the name of praying to some saint to intercede for them, something God totally abhors(see Ex 20 verse 4).
And the roman catholic church was one of his greatest weapons against christians, annihilating millions of them in the great inquisition centuries ago. Even their highest bishops never SMELT a bible in their lives, anything the pope said was gospel, until God shone His light in the mind of Martin Luther, most of the early the early bible translators were matyred trying to translate the bible to common english and make it accessible to all-the devil was desperate to keep us in the darkness! im sure ure familiar with all this stufff.

My point is, any man, christian, a great one, budhist, who is TRULY SEARCHING for the truth, eventually finds it. so, mon ami, which is it? are you truly, truly searching with an open mind, or ure energetically trying to justify or deny the existence of God and his mercy? i don't need an answer, but its a question i think is worth asking yourself.

good luck, praying for you.

Thanks for posting back. I read with interest this post but got two main issues from the post;

1) Search for the truth
2) The question of what to belief

On the search for the truth, you have to ask yourself first, "the truth about what?". What is this truth you are searching for about?

Secondly, you have to ask yourself whether humans have a systematic methodology for discovering the "truth" you are seeking?

I would be much oblige if you could answer the above question. Once you have done that, then we could discuss item (2) above.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by joomiegal(f): 2:49pm On Jun 16, 2008
huxley:

Thanks for posting back. I read with interest this post but got two main issues from the post;

1) Search for the truth
2) The question of what to belief

On the search for the truth, you have to ask yourself first, "the truth about what?". What is this truth you are searching for about?

Secondly, you have to ask yourself whether humans have a systematic methodology for discovering the "truth" you are seeking?

I would be much oblige if you could answer the above question. Once you have done that, then we could discuss item (2) above.

1. well, i scanned thru some of ur threads/posts in the religious section. my conclusion is that you are atheistic or woteva, and you start threads not becos you really want information (u usually come off sounding like a made-up mind), but becos you just want to needle a particular set of people (usually xtians), or just sit back and cynically watch what their replies will be. most times i wonder wot point it is ur really trying to make.

for no1 above (truth about what), that would depend on your underlying motive for all what you are doing, spending so much time digging up stuff like that and posting them. and i cannot know for sure wot that is, i can only guess/assume. maybe the truth about God? His existence? are Christians correct? is the bible really the Word of God? Given the kind of atheistic, esoteric, and sometimes (dont get mad now, im not trying to diss) downright nonsensical kind of topics you start, only you can answer the question as to what truth ur searching for, assuming ur even searching for the truth at all. I dont know, only u can say, because i cannot see wots in your heart,

2. As for whether humans 'have a systematic methodology for discovering 'the truth', i wouldnt know.

3. As for discussion on what to believe, (you'll forgive me, but i have this tendency to be very blunt) frankly, im not going to involve myself in a long, drawn-out debate with you unless im sure you are really searching with your heart and not just cynically posting threads and replies with a closed, hardened heart. i would much rather pray for you. that's the starting point, plus its much more effective.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by redsun(m): 9:30am On Jun 17, 2008
Tell me,is there any atom of intelligence in people that can allow and do this to children in the name of religion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVVbGEOoCM

In the absense of common sense,people seek higher power that they already possess.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by huxley(m): 10:45am On Jun 17, 2008
joomiegal:

1. well, i scanned through some of your threads/posts in the religious section. my conclusion is that you are atheistic or woteva, and you start threads not because you really want information (u usually come off sounding like a made-up mind), but because you just want to needle a particular set of people (usually xtians), or just sit back and cynically watch what their replies will be. most times i wonder wot point it is your really trying to make.

for no1 above (truth about what), that would depend on your underlying motive for all what you are doing, spending so much time digging up stuff like that and posting them. and i cannot know for sure wot that is, i can only guess/assume. maybe the truth about God? His existence? are Christians correct? is the bible really the Word of God? Given the kind of atheistic, esoteric, and sometimes (don't get mad now, im not trying to diss) downright nonsensical kind of topics you start, only you can answer the question as to what truth your searching for, assuming your even searching for the truth at all. I don't know, only u can say, because i cannot see wots in your heart,

2. As for whether humans 'have a systematic methodology for discovering 'the truth', i wouldnt know.

3. As for discussion on what to believe, (you'll forgive me, but i have this tendency to be very blunt) frankly, im not going to involve myself in a long, drawn-out debate with you unless im sure you are really searching with your heart and not just cynically posting threads and replies with a closed, hardened heart. i would much rather pray for you. that's the starting point, plus its much more effective.

You are right! I do not have a god-belief nor do I think that he/she/it exists. I am also very critical of all forms of religions and superstitions. If any form of religion or superstition is intellectually coherent, it should be able to stand up to rigorous analysis. That is the tenor of my post on Nairaland. I intend no subterfuge and am upfront and forthright with my view. So feel free to throw the best you can at me; do not worry I am not offended. Discussion of ideologies do not offend me.

It is a constant refrain amongst the religious to talk of "the TRUTH". As is characteristic amongst the unthinking and uncritical religious folks, the meaning of this word (TRUTH) is taken for granted. However, when pressed to explain what they mean by TRUTH, I get the response I have just got from you: absolutely nothing.

If you cannot define and articulate what you claim to be searching for, how would you know when/whether you have found it? No wonder there are millions of religions, all claiming to possess the TRUTH. Are there many versions of the TRUTH?

All I asked was "What is the TRUTH you are talking about?" "The TRUTH about what?" Once we have identified the answers to these question, then we can talk about ways to getting at such TRUTHS.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by mazaje(m): 2:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
huxley:

All I asked was "What is the TRUTH you are talking about?" "The TRUTH about what?" Once we have identified the answers to these question, then we can talk about ways to getting at such TRUTHS.

The truth here means the purpose if existance and the true way to god i believe.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by huxley(m): 5:00pm On Jun 17, 2008
mazaje:

The truth here means the purpose if existance and the true way to god i believe.

What is the purpose of existence then?
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by mazaje(m): 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2008
huxley:

Serving god according to most religious doctorines, being good to your neighbours and helping each other. . . . . . . . . .
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by PastorAIO: 7:04pm On Jun 17, 2008
huxley:

To be devotedly true to yourself.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by Gamine(f): 7:13pm On Jun 17, 2008
Only the truely intelligent will believe in God.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by PastorAIO: 7:31pm On Jun 17, 2008
I don't know what your measure of intelligence is.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by sweetiemi(f): 12:52pm On Jun 19, 2008
huxley huxley huxley!!! me thinks thou "protesteth' tooooo much. cheesy cheesy cheesy

its obvious you are searching for something probably (1) a way to justify the existence of God actually and be able to convince yourself that He does exit. wink

you said the ancient philosophers were against religion and were just afraid to show, i dont think so st Augustine was a philosopher and he postulated some positive religious philosophical views. and also i think a way to answer your questions of the existence of God is to actually give urself time to study the bible with an open mind put all of your belifs aside atheiest or not. then lets have your views then.

This is an aside, some people only hammer on the things some "christians" have done forgetting that in EVERY sphere of life we have the true people and the imitators who dont actually believe whatever concept but are there to destroy it. so the way everyone goes on about someone professing to be a christian and doing something negative is just besides the point.

as for intelligence being a deciding factor against faith, when you have been involved in situations that have defied all possible human reasoning it may help to come to the conclusion that there is a higher Being up there. I know am intelligent, am a graduate of philosophy from a reputable University and am not where i am today by being dumb wink and yes i am a CHRISTIAN

so huxley please let me know when you have STUDIED the whole of the Bible WITH AN OPEN MIND. cheers
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by sleekymag(m): 1:12pm On Jun 19, 2008
@huxley

You've read so many books and i assume you must have read some parts of the bible too (if not all). What do you think of the bible? Do you think the stories and teachings there are all made up?
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by jydeboy: 1:22pm On Jun 19, 2008
Huxley, your writings would never make sense to people who has no in-depth knowledge of philosophy. It would always sound atheistic and esoteric to them. I admire your knowledge, you have a great mind and a terriffic brain. I hope you would come across the indubitable truth someday. Descartes as knowlegeable as he is searched for so long without finding it in his corgito ego sum, I hope you would arrive at it someday. Follow the dictates of your mind and do not let anybody try to deceive you with religion.
Please get the Leviathan and The prince in your library but I am sure you would have got it. I would like you to add these two political treatises to your collection. I am a Philosopher, and my areas of interest and research are Esoteric Philosophy, Metaphysics and African Philosophy.
Take care of yourself.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by sleekymag(m): 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2008
@jydeboy
Huxley, your writings would never make sense to people who has no in-depth knowledge of philosophy. It would always sound atheistic and esoteric to them.

But Huxley responded to Joomiegal this way:

You are right! I do not have a god-belief nor do I think that he/she/it exists. I am also very critical of all forms of religions and superstitions. If any form of religion or superstition is intellectually coherent, it should be able to stand up to rigorous analysis.

Now you say his writings are esoteric and would not make sense to those without d indepth knowledge of philosophy. I asked a simple question; since he's read a lot of books, he must have read the bible too. I just wanted to know what his true opinions of the bible are, whether baseless and untrue or whether he believes some part of it, or just whatever he thinks of it.
Re: Intelligent People 'less Likely To Believe In God' by sleekymag(m): 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2008
Jydeboy, am still awaiting your response.

In response to what you wrote:
Huxley, your writings would never make sense to people who has no in-depth knowledge of philosophy. It would always sound atheistic and esoteric to them.
I ask again, what is not atheistic about Huxley, when he himself says he does not believe in God, and that's why he posted this, anyway.
Huxley's quote
You are right! I do not have a god-belief nor do I think that he/she/it exists. I am also very critical of all forms of religions and superstitions. If any form of religion or superstition is intellectually coherent, it should be able to stand up to rigorous analysis.

And my question still hasn't been answered, i asked him, since he has read lots of books, he should have read the bible too. I want to know his opinion, and even yours too, on it. Do you believe in what the bible says? Some people are afraid to read it, cos they're afraid they'll see condemning and judging statements to those whose ways are not right before God. However, God is love personified, and he wishes that all comes to repentance and acknowledge him as the only true God, the creator of heaven and earth. So what's your take?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jesus Was A Muslim / Zionist-Jew Message To Christians:"We Killed Your Jesus And We Are Proud Of It"! / If You'd Been Born In China, You Wouldn't Be A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.