Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. (17603 Views)

Earth Will Experience 15 Days Of Complete Darkness In November 2015?-NASA / Voting Ends As Counting Starts In Imo / My Endorsement Of Jonathan In November Was A 'Spiritual Drama' - Rev Fr Mbaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by plaindealer: 6:35pm On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2:

So Emirates Airlines is the beneficiary?

naptu, your knowledge and intelligence towers above that troll and it beats me why you are paying that troll any attention and enabling him to derail the thread with his usual menstrual issues.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by anonimi: 6:43pm On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2:

So Emirates Airlines is the beneficiary?

YES.
That is a CAPITAL yes in terms of publicity, visibility, advertising etc especially in a rather hostile British environment for a Middle East business.
See how they are beneficiary

I am sure you know of companies SPONSORING events, programmes etc for similar purpose even here in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 6:46pm On Aug 31, 2013
plaindealer:

naptu, your knowledge and intelligence towers above that troll and it beats me why you are paying that troll any attention and enabling him to derail the thread with his usual menstrual issues.

Lol.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by eleojo23: 7:33pm On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Horus(m): 8:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Pwitikween(f): 8:49pm On Aug 31, 2013
plaindealer: [img]http://2.bp..com/-5BXiIUGatnI/Th_U6KMQTFI/AAAAAAAAEm0/ur0M3cvHHug/s400/eko%2Bo%2Bno%2Bbaje.jpg[/img]
o baje ti...kudos
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2:

Yes. Phase 1 (National Theatre - Mile 2) is almost complete. Work has started on Phase 2 (Mile 2-Okokomaiko) and they will soon award the contract for Phase 3 (National Theatre-Marina).

Phase 1 was very difficult because of the terrain and things buried under the ground, so they had to get Julius Berger to do the road while CCECC did the rail system. CCECC will undertake Phase 2 which is much easier. I suspect the Phase 3 will also be difficult because they are going to build a cable-stayed bridge (like the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge).

There's a thread with which we monitor progress on the project. I'll get the link for you.

Thanks bro
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by bugmenot: 11:32pm On Aug 31, 2013

I thought cable cars ran on electricity. Is my naiveté doing overtime?

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 11:35pm On Aug 31, 2013
bugmenot:

I thought cable cars ran on electricity. Is my naiveté doing overtime?

Consult my post on the first page.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 11:39pm On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]Lagos Cable Car Transit system (LCCT).[/size]

The Lagos Cable Car Transit system is a cable car system that will be built and operated by the Doppelmayr Group. It is the brainchild of Michael Doppelmayr.

The Doppelmayr Garaventa Group is an Austrian company that manufactures chairlifts, cable cars, gondolas, surface tows for ski and amusement parks as well as urban people movers and material handling systems. To date, Doppelmayr and Garaventa have produced over 13,700 installations in 78 countries. The Doppelmayr Garaventa Group was formed in 2002 when Doppelmayr of Wolfurt, Austria merged with Garaventa AG of Switzerland to form the world's largest ropeway manufacturer.

Doppelmayr was founded in Wolfurt Austria in 1892. Artur Doppelmayr, the son of the founder, took over in 1967. In 1996, Doppelmayr's holding company purchased Von Roll, a Swiss maker of gondolas and cable cars. In 2002, Doppelmayr acquired CWA, a Swiss maker of gondola and cable car cabins. The merger of Doppelmayr and Garaventa was announced in 2001 and completed in 2002.

The company was selected in April 2011 as one of a consortium to build London's Cable Car system

DCC Doppelmayr Cable Car is a supplier of Automated People Movers (APM) based in Wolfurt, Austria. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Doppelmayr Garaventa Group.[1] Their main product is the ropeway-propelled CABLE Liner shuttle used in airports, city centres, intermodal passenger transport connections, park and ride facilities, campuses, resorts, and amusement parks.

In 2003, after the world’s only Maglev transport system at Birmingham International Airport fell into disrepair, DCC installed the "AirRail Link" to replace the Maglev and temporary replacement bus-service that had been operating since 1995.

DCC is an ISO 9001:2000 certified company.

Company history

DCC was established by the Doppelmayr Group in 1996.

•1999: completion of the Mandalay Bay Tram in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
•2002: Doppelmayr merged with Garaventa Group
•2002: completion of AirRail Link at Birmingham International Airport, UK
•2006: completion of the LINK Train in Toronto, Canada
•2006: award of Automated People Mover contract for the City of Venice, Italy
•2006: award of contract for MGM Mirage CityCenter in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
•2007: completion of the Cable Liner Shuttle at Mexico City International Airport
•2007: award of Automated People Mover contract for the New Doha International Airport in Qatar
•2012: completion of the Emirates Air Line (cable car) in London

Michael Doppelmayr watched the BBC documentary, “Welcome to Lagos” and had the idea to build a cable car system in Lagos. He felt that the idea would definitely succeed because of the sheer population density of Lagos. He did his research and discovered that, by 2015, Lagos will be the third largest urban agglomeration in the world, with a population of about 25 million people.

He made contact with some Nigerian businessmen and Ropeways Transport Limited was formed. The chief executive officer of Ropeways Transport Limited is Captain Dapo Olumide, former CEO of Virgin Nigeria.

Ropeways Limited proposed 3 routes to Lamata. They are:

1)Apapa – Oluwole – Adeniji Adele
2)Ijora/7up – Iddo – Adeniji Adele
3)Victoria Island – Falomo – Obalende – Adeniji Adele

Lamata has approved the routes and granted Ropeways the right of way. This was officially formalised via a tripartite agreement between Ropeways Limited, LAMATA and the Lagos State Government.

The idea behind the selection of these routes is to decongest the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland (Carter, Eko and Third Mainland bridges), decongest the two bridges connecting Lagos Island to Victoria Island (Independence [Onikan] and Five Cowry [Falomo] bridges) and connect the port and industrial district (Apapa) with the central business district (Marina). The Lagos Cable Car Transit system will be 12km long. A journey from Apapa to Adeniji will take roughly 4 minutes.

The project will be funded by a loan from the African Development Bank (ADB). The project will cost $500 million and it is expected that fares will be around 100 – 300 naira.

The project will have 5 sources of power viz – (1) The Independent Power Project (IPP) on the Island (2) Gas (3) Diesel (4) Turbines (5) Inverters (which will provide 30 minutes back-up power).

An interview with Captain Dapo Olumide (CEO of Ropways Limited) on Channels Television’s Sunrise programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqud4IaxC00

[img]http://4.bp..com/-MfVeaaQc2q0/URme8ogawwI/AAAAAAAAFyU/6a4_MQz_Etw/s1600/aa.jpg[/img]
Governor Fashola, Captain Olumide and a representative from Doppelmayr at the signing ceremony.

Read more here: The History of Public Transportation In Lagos https://www.nairaland.com/1218704/history-public-transportation-lagos
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Eledan: 11:41pm On Aug 31, 2013
Naptu2..

I thought Dapo Olumide used to be a pilot or a professional in the aviation industry....wrong?
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 11:42pm On Aug 31, 2013
Eledan: Naptu2..

I thought Dapo Olumide used to be a pilot or a professional in the aviation industry....wrong?

He was once a pilot. He went into management and was the Chief Executive Officer of Virgin Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by agbameta: 11:43pm On Aug 31, 2013
Eledan: Naptu2..

Yes....
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Eledan: 11:46pm On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2:

He was once a pilot. He went into management and was the Chief Executive Officer of Virgin Nigeria.

agbameta:

Yes....

Versatile man....we call such people utility player... grin
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by bugmenot: 11:47pm On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2:

Consult my post on the first page.

Great development, I must say. I would have loved to see solar power in the list, but great development all the same. Eko o'ni baje lai lai!!!

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Eledan: 11:50pm On Aug 31, 2013
bugmenot:

Great development, I must say. I would have loved to see solar power in the list, but great development all the same. Eko o'ni baje lai lai!!!

O baje ti..!,

Our hating "brothers" can only keep wishing that it spoil...while it is actually making progress on various fronts...
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by agbameta: 11:52pm On Aug 31, 2013
Eledan:

Versatile man....we call such people utility player... grin

He's a true blood Lagosian and Lagos development and upliftment is a must in the hearts of Lagosians like him.

Eko o ni baje is not just a slogan, it's a way of life and culture...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by bugmenot: 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2013
Eledan:

O baje ti..!,

Our hating "brothers" can only keep wishing that it spoil...while it is actually making progress on various fronts...

Amin ooooo!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by flyforall: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2013
Wait oh you mean to tell me we can have cable car in 2043. Wow I think we need more social security for our fellow lagosians first. Besides what will happen if PHCN vex? Hopefully by then power outage will be a thing of the past
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by omonnakoda: 11:23am On Sep 01, 2013
Hmm they are taking our oyel money!
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by eledalo: 9:12pm On Jan 14, 2016
Where?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by AbuEzeFemi(m): 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
we are asking where is Lagos cable or rope car? hmmm
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by AbuEzeFemi(m): 3:40pm On Mar 20, 2018
eldorado
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by agabusta: 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2018
See Osibanjo in the pix. He would be calling Fashola your excellency during this time.

But now, na Fashola dey call am "Your Excellency".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: Third Force Political Parties Unite, Come Up With Plan To Defeat Buhari / "Why Oshiomhole Must Resign" - Osita Okechukwu / Ben Murray Bruce Named Chairman Of FRCN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.