Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,706 members, 7,802,102 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Edo Tradition - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Tradition (3353 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 2:10pm On Jan 09, 2014
What does WTH have to do with this?...
Re: Edo Tradition by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 09, 2014
So, let me get this....

Y'all are mad because he's Irish, is it? You wouldn't be this furious if a 50-something year old Nigerian man was marrying a 20-something year old Nigerian girl, would you?
Lawd knows I've seen many such cases...and no one made a fuss about it. Except for casual, not-too-serious remarks.

I don't even know why someone brought up the question of love.
A significant percentage of women marry who it is 'convenient' for them to marry. Not who they are heads over heels in love with.
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 4:23pm On Jan 09, 2014
Thanks Radoillo II your point is very valid and well identified!

In fact this is all off topic! I merely wanted to know what the traditions were!!!!

It was Pagan who brought up the subject of age but seemed already to be anti even before he knew there was an age gap. It does seem the colour of my skin is the issue for some of them.

This girl and I have been together for some time now. She does not exploit me for money etc.

By the way, in most cultures, it is rude to comment on the private business of others despite what our own personal thoughts may be.

Anyway I would appreciate any ON TOPIC information about the traditions.
Re: Edo Tradition by pslm23(f): 8:53pm On Jan 09, 2014
KoloOyinbo: Thanks Radoillo II your point is very valid and well identified!

In fact this is all off topic! I merely wanted to know what the traditions were!!!!

It was Pagan who brought up the subject of age but seemed already to be anti even before he knew there was an age gap. It does seem the colour of my skin is the issue for some of them.

This girl and I have been together for some time now. She does not exploit me for money etc.

By the way, in most cultures, it is rude to comment on the private business of others despite what our own personal thoughts may be.

Anyway I would appreciate any ON TOPIC information about the traditions.

If you know any of your fiancee's folks, talk to them and find out what their tradition requires. They are in a better position to tell you what you need to do. Best of Luck!
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:01am On Jan 10, 2014
Thank you pslm23.

I will do so. Although I some of my Naija friends here in Belfast (we have a large Nigerian Community) have put me in touch with two people from her area (they all speak Etsako) and they are now helping out.
Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 11:04am On Jan 10, 2014
KoloOyinbo: Thank you pslm23.

I will do so. Although I some of my Naija friends here in Belfast (we have a large Nigerian Community) have put me in touch with two people from her area (they all speak Etsako) and they are now helping out.

hmmmn I'm happy for you that you found a damsel to make your life complete. smiley
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 11:14am On Jan 10, 2014
KoloOyinbo: Thank you pslm23.

I like your style of trying to learn the culture and traditions of her people that's commendable
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:24am On Jan 10, 2014
macof:

I like your style of trying to learn the culture and traditions of her people that's commendable

Not just in Naija but wherever I travel. Its just that having spent so much time in Naija and planning to marry a Naija Babe and spend even more time there Naija has a greater focus for me than the other areas I go.

Its only a very personal impression but I find the Naija style of thinking very similar in many ways to the Irish. A certain style of pragmatism, a rough and ready 'make do' attitude and a very similar sense of humour (although the jokes do need to be modified a little the core concepts tickle our respective 'funny bones'!
Re: Edo Tradition by pslm23(f): 11:30am On Jan 10, 2014
I have another question regarding the Edo tradition please. In a case where a lady dated a guy and had 2 or 3 kids for him without any form of marriage rites performed on her and then few years later they go their separate ways, under Edo tradition, who gets to keep the kids? the father or the mother? Is she allowed to prevent him from seeing them even though he is a paying father i.e school fees, health insurance, feeding and clothing. Both man and woman are Edo but woman is claiming full rights on the children and refusing him access.
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2014
I dont know the Edo tradition here (obviously) or (perhaps more importantly) why the access is being refused. I can only say that if a man and woman have a problem between them it is very wrong to punish the children by denying them access to either parent.

I do hope he will not retaliate by cutting off the fees for the children's schooling.

A child usually loves both its parents and should not be involved in their disagreements. Children are individuals worthy of love and not NOT posessions to be squabbled over or emotional weapons to be used to hurt the other partner.
Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 11:35am On Jan 10, 2014
Finally, in all guises, Nigerians are receptive people.

Its not inferiority complex as some of us likes to see it, when such natural warmness to outsiders is shown by some. It is shown to all that have one or two things to earn it in the first place.

Some of the emotional wars going on is not quite obvious to the everyday man, but our enlightened recriminations and all sort of things do put everyone on edge, and spoils the mood for others.

But life will always find a way through our emotional barriers and other preferences to keep going on.

just saying, as usual.
farewell.
Re: Edo Tradition by blueeyes1: 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2014
I fail to see wht d problem is. Is it kolo's skin colour or the texture of his hair?
Haba! Na wetin? The man says he loves d lady and d lady loves him,so wetin com be una own for inside d mata?abeg make una no pour san san(sand) for person garri.
@Kolo,go ahead and marry your girl,its nobody's fv:cking business. Enjoy your union dearie,ciao.
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
blue eyes1: I fail to see wht d problem is. Is it kolo's skin colour or the texture of his hair?
Haba! Na wetin? The man says he loves d lady and d lady loves him,so wetin com be una own for inside d mata?abeg make una no pour san san(sand) for person garri.
@Kolo,go ahead and marry your girl,its nobody's fv:cking business. Enjoy your union dearie,ciao.

Pls shut up and stop deceiving urself...this kolo is truly kolo
A racist and a damned liar and hypocrite, not to mention his lack of education and intelligence

If not that nairaland lost it's data, I would have directed u to his display of disgust all over NL

Pagan 9ja has even complained about him nd requested for his ban severally

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:14pm On Jun 29, 2014
macof:

A racist and a damned liar and hypocrite, not to mention his lack of education and intelligence

If not that nairaland lost it's data, I would have directed u to his display of disgust all over NL

I am very glad to see that you survived this destructive Tsunami, brother macof. smiley

Its sad that so much info has been lost. and all that evidence against this koloyinbo. angry

I singled him out from the very beginning he joined here and he has lived up to his name.

3 Likes

Re: Edo Tradition by blueeyes1: 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
macof:

Do u have to be so rude and insultive just to prove ur point? Anyway,I'm not surprised,so typical of u.
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29pm On Jun 29, 2014
blue eyes1: Do u have to be so rude and insultive just to prove ur point? Anyway,I'm not surprised,so typical of u.

if u saw the things he commented till last month, you wont speak like this. (unless you have slave mentality, in which case you are excused)
Re: Edo Tradition by blueeyes1: 10:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

if u saw the things he commented till last month, you wont speak like this. (unless you have slave mentality, in which case you are excused)
Whteva comments he made are his business/opinions,it doesn't add one naira to my pocket. All I'm saying is pple should be a bit civil on social forums like this.
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2014
blue eyes1: Whteva comments he made are his business/opinions,it doesn't add one naira to my pocket. All I'm saying is pple should be a bit civil on social forums like this.

We dont care what it adds to your pocket. You need to stop poking your nose in what is going on between us because his comments affected us, even if it may not have "added one Naira to your pocket".

We can behave civil only with civil people.
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

I am very glad to see that you survived this destructive Tsunami, brother macof. smiley

Its sad that so much info has been lost. and all that evidence against this koloyinbo. angry

I singled him out from the very beginning he joined here and he has lived up to his name.

Yes brother pagan, I survived grin

Kolo is the least of my worries as many more important issues have been lost
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2014
macof:

Yes brother pagan, I survived grin

Kolo is the least of my worries as many more important issues have been lost

yes ooo. but there is a way to recover some of the threads. i tried it but didnt go forward with it.

im sure you read oga Seuns apology thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Osogbo War Of 1840- Oldnaija History / Sam Childers, The Machine Gun Preacher / Orunmila Agboniregun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.