Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,997 members, 7,799,426 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria (14996 Views)

Angola, Hit By Collapse Of Oil Prices, Seeks IMF Aid / Saudi Arabia Seeks $6-8 Billion Loan To Shore Up State Coffers / Does Obama Need Congressional Approval To Bomb Syria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by MurderX: 7:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
President Obama put on hold Saturday a plan to attack Syria for its alleged use of chemical weapons, arguing that the United States had a moral responsibility to respond forcefully but would not do so until Congress has a chance to vote on the use of military force.

The announcement puts off a cruise missile strike that had appeared imminent, a prospect that had the region on edge and stoked intense debate in the United States, where many dread getting dragged into a new war.
(...)
Lawmakers are scheduled to return from recess on Sept. 9to begin what is sure to be a contentious debate about the risks of injecting the United States into a conflict in which it has few reliable allies and enemies on both sides of the front lines. The Senate will hold committee hearings on the proposed strike this week, Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) announced Saturday.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-set-to-speak-on-syria-in-rose-garden/2013/08/31/65aea210-125b-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html

1 Like

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by kelvinchristus(m): 7:33pm On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Joel3(m): 9:17pm On Aug 31, 2013
source please
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by MayorofLagos(m): 9:20pm On Aug 31, 2013
Did he seek their approval to move the fleet and armament to Meditteranean ? His gra gra has beenchecked by Russia and China and he is looking for a safe way out. Simple!

12 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by MurderX: 9:51pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Did he seek their approval to move the fleet and armament to Meditteranean ? His gra gra has beenchecked by Russia and China and he is looking for a safe way out. Simple!

The defence chief informed that he is ready to release his missiles once the executive order to strike is given. All is set now what they need now is congress support. The british parliament seems to have changed the game, I think if they hadn't voted a NO by now it would have been a different story.

We should learn to discuss global politics, it also affects us directly.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Horus(m): 10:05pm On Aug 31, 2013

Warmongers

15 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by talktimi(m): 10:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
Lets all be realistic here, if we were president of Nigeria or any other country we wouldn't drop power just because a group of rebels say or want us to do so, left to me, Assad should be given a soft landing by the international community led by HIS allies ie forfeit power, go on exile to any friendly country & forget Syria for a decade. The U.S & Russia would clean up any mess afterwards, i just dont support any military action whatsoever

4 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Joel3(m): 10:26pm On Aug 31, 2013
china is only dancing to the gallery for cheap popularity in the world politics and international scene. Russia also, world power my foot. when it happens the Chinese will only abandoned assad because currently china is not ripe for that and will never go to war with america for assad. war with america never ends, and the chinese knows and which they can never withstand, china is even benefiting more from the america business wise. the russia aswell are very good in making noise without doing anything, remember the case of Libya, although they are good is sponsoring arms and weaponry but will never join in the war, background baking dogs. who can challenge america? no body. america should go ahead. but obama is only trying to carry everybody especially the americans along with this battle so that they can handle the problem attach to it. not opposing critics. smh

13 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Kalvan: 10:34pm On Aug 31, 2013
Joel.:
china is only dancing to the gallery for cheap popularity in the world politics and international scene. russia also. world power my foot. when it happens the chinese will only abandoned assad. the russia aswell are very good in moving noise. who can challenge america? no body.

True, It's all Politics. China and Russia can't go to War over Syria.

6 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by adino(m): 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2013
Horus:

Warmongers

[size=15pt]EVIL MEN[/size]

23 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Adam200(m): 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2013
what a hypocracy, my question is who supply the free army chemical weapon ? is it not the US & its allies

7 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Horus(m): 11:12pm On Aug 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhr00aHRb3s

[size=15pt]From Iraq to Libya and Now to Syria, The Same Lying Faces[/size]

12 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by dulaman: 11:35pm On Aug 31, 2013
Signs of End time.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by MayorofLagos(m): 12:04am On Sep 01, 2013
Murder_X:

The defence chief informed that he is ready to release his missiles once the executive order to strike is given. All is set now what they need now is congress support. The british parliament seems to have changed the game, I think if they hadn't voted a NO by now it would have been a different story.

Yes, global politics affect us directly and i am not novice in global affairs or its analysis, however, isnt it time that America change its game plan and approach to the porting of democratic principles and corporate capitalism around the globe?

Its almost predictable that they willl oust Assad and in the end install a regime which in few months from now they will decry as human rights violators. Time after time, go in the history, every regime ever installed by America has turned out to be a failure and against the people their crusade is advocaying to save.

How is Syria going to be different from the falsehood of Iraq?

7 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by PAPAAFRICA: 2:54am On Sep 01, 2013

1 Like

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by NepaLight: 3:10am On Sep 01, 2013
Kalvan:

Sure they won't go to war, but the will make available to Assad military hardware that will frustrate and humiliate the US. And if you think Russia can't US stand in any battle, be it by proxy or however then you are dummy.

Why is US always looking for help aka "NATO" or "Allies" before going to war?

6 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by musiwa1h: 3:17am On Sep 01, 2013
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by KwoiZabo(m): 4:08am On Sep 01, 2013
Horus:

Warmongers
come on shut up. so you want sit tight leaders to keep killing their ppl to the extent of using chemical weapons just because the people have chosen to have a say on who rules them. you don't know without the US we would still be having genocide in this present day and time. If u support a military action against Assad's dictarorial regime in Syria plz click like

52 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by KwoiZabo(m): 4:35am On Sep 01, 2013
Adam200: what a hypocracy, my question is who supply the free army chemical weapon ? is it not the US & its allies
liar. what is your proof. what prove does the Assad's regime have that the opposition did that. America have said that its only the regime that has such capabilities and the seven locations have so far been rebel controlled areas. America cannot let out their proof cos it will compromise their intelligence gathering apparatus but I believe when they show it to congress, they'll get approval. meanwhile instead of Russia to join the debate putin just said everything is rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:03am On Sep 01, 2013
Murder_X:

100likes .
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:04am On Sep 01, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Did he seek their approval to move the fleet and armament to Meditteranean ? His gra gra has beenchecked by Russia and China and he is looking for a safe way out. Simple!

Did u listen to obama speech yesterday? If u did u won't come and post this crap u did.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:07am On Sep 01, 2013
talktimi: Lets all be realistic here, if we were president of Nigeria or any other country we wouldn't drop power just because a group of rebels say or want us to do so, left to me, Assad should be given a soft landing by the international community led by HIS allies ie forfeit power, go on exile to any friendly country & forget Syria for a decade. The U.S & Russia would clean up any mess afterwards, i just dont support any military action whatsoever
I understand u bro, but don't forget it started as a protest, before government forces started using weapons on the masses.
The problem is that assad does not want to step down and and go on exile in russia.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:09am On Sep 01, 2013
Kalvan:

Russian foreign minister even said that dey don't want war with there friend USA, but that putin dey mad oo.
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:11am On Sep 01, 2013
adino:

[size=15pt]EVIL MEN[/size]

One billion times better than ur nigerian politicians.

10 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:12am On Sep 01, 2013
Adam200: what a hypocracy, my question is who supply the free army chemical weapon ? is it not the US & its allies
Hope u have proof
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by musiwa1h: 7:15am On Sep 01, 2013
But the issue is the syria govt is killing its people. should the world watch while nobody do anything. It means any leader can kill anyone at will. Syria should negotiate with the rebel. It is like the case of rebellion in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:16am On Sep 01, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Yes, global politics affect us directly and i am not novice in global affairs or its analysis, however, isnt it time that America change its game plan and approach to the porting of democratic principles and corporate capitalism around the globe?

Its almost predictable that they willl oust Assad and in the end install a regime which in few months from now they will decry as human rights violators. Time after time, go in the history, every regime ever installed by America has turned out to be a failure and against the people their crusade is advocaying to save.

How is Syria going to be different from the falsehood of Iraq?

Usa plan is not to remove assad, chemical weapon use is a violention of Un rules, so it has to be addressed to check its further use in the future.
dey want to destroy assad capability of using chemical weapons.
Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:19am On Sep 01, 2013
Nepa Light:

Sure they won't go to war, but the will make available to Assad military hardware that will frustrate and humiliate the US. And if you think Russia can't US stand in any battle, be it by proxy or however then you are dummy.

Why is US always looking for help aka "NATO" or "Allies" before going to war?

Hope u know dey can't supply nuclear weapon to assad, so let's know these weapons dey will supply to assad, that USA can't counter .

1 Like

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:23am On Sep 01, 2013
KwoiZabo: come on shut up. so you want sit tight leaders to keep killing their ppl to the extent of using chemical weapons just because they've chosen to have a say on who rules them. you don't know without the US we would still be having genocide in this present day and time. If u support a military action against Assad's dictarorial regime in Syria plz click like

1million likes.
I don't know why people see americas as devil.
Seriously if to say america no dey most countries for no dey exist now.
If not for allied forces the world for dey under germany now.
If not for america iran for dey under iraq.
People should try and change there mind set.

8 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by malele(m): 7:29am On Sep 01, 2013
musiwa1h: But the issue is the syria govt is killing its people. should the world watch while nobody do anything. It means any leader can kill anyone at will. Syria should negotiate with the rebel. It is like the case of rebellion in Nigeria

100likes
I don't understand why people are biased in this issue.
A government that has been I power for 27 years, the citizens now start a protest for him to release power to somebody else, the government opens fire on them, is that what we are supporting.
Let's us not forget this can happen in nigeria, if USA comes to help us, are we going to call them demons?

3 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by dapachez: 8:25am On Sep 01, 2013
Do you even know anything about history? In Iraq it was WMD and all of a sudden it turned out to be regiem change(even though Sadam didn't have wmd) am always scekptical about issues like this but then Assad the ophthalmologist has been there for too long and its time for his ass to be kicked.Arabs aren't ripe for democracy though,they need dictators to hold them on a short leash cos those people are so damn volatile and erratic. Mark my words this onslaught is to topple Assad no doubt,I just feel pity for the innocent ones that would be caught up in the showdown
malele:

Usa plan is not to remove assad, chemical weapon use is a violention of Un rules, so it has to be addressed to check its further use in the future.
dey want to destroy assad capability of using chemical weapons.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 01, 2013
Good

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Massive Fire At Kenya's International Airport / Pope Offers To Meet Putin, Still Waiting To Hear Back / 17 People Beheaded In Afghanistan For Attending A Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.