Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets (1085 Views)

17 Year Old Nigerian Starts A Project To Bring African Poets Together / Popular Works Of African Poets. / How To Write And Pass Toefl Exams(toefl Exams Made Easy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 5:30pm On Jun 13, 2008
was thinking this morning. Are there any naija artistes that can pass as poets? I was listening to a track by modenine - CRY and I was stunned!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy spits fire. That track is pure poetry!!! We need more rappers like him. What do u guys think or who's music can anyone suggest. Picture this,

"They were man and wife, but he hardly slept with her,
Out late with his friends hurting his liver,
She's nine month pregnant, crying a river,
Alone at home, about to deliver
He drinks away his pains but more pains to giver her ,
.---
---
Working hard but he drinks harder,
married to the bottle, about to be a father!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is good. What do u guys think?
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by jydeboy: 10:26am On Jun 16, 2008
He is damn good as a poet. He should keep it up. Thumbs up.
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 3:51pm On Jun 16, 2008
yeah jare, i think another person is tuface. if he wrote he wrote the song "African Queen" by himself, then he is in the league too but i think modenine is the best
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by ladoy(m): 3:14pm On Jun 17, 2008
i think 9ice would definately take the crown.i mean thats for folks who have the patience and understanding to dicepher his traditional nigerian lyrics.

Unequalled poetry in english,pidgin and yoruba. i would have highlighted some of his lyrics but you guys should know only too well-seeing that his music rules in naija at the moment.plus i would risk diluting the strong lyrics.

9ice it is!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 5:20pm On Jun 19, 2008
I have listened to 9ce over and over. I have heared modenine over and over. What 9ce spits are yoruba adages which were not founded by him. He only picked them off the shelf and used them. My guy you need to hear modenine's lyrics well oooooo. I would aprc8 if u post some of those 9ce lyrics but here are some of modenine's,

my style is like hell fire, no one wants to go there,

i don't pray for u, i prey on you like a hawk,

you don't write, it's why your pen shun paper, quit rap, here's your pension paper

i have a feeling, my clock is on the cieling, i guess my time is up, pls i'm leaving

and soooo on, i'm loving this guy's music he's soooo poetic. 9ce is good too though
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by khufu: 10:38am On Jun 20, 2008
lagbaja and beautiful nubia are also great poets
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by Madea19(f): 12:40pm On Jun 20, 2008
As i read dis topic, the name dat came 2 my mind was Beautifull Nubia,then i was hoping 2 av supporters who'll also think so,not knowing dat i was actually going 2 be a supporter of @khufu's post.

So 2 me it's Beautifull Nubia.

According 2 what d topic starter posted, i think mode9 is also good
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by maedan(f): 9:07pm On Jun 20, 2008
Tuface Rules! All his lyrics are deep, check out One Love, African Queen, True Love - in fact, all the songs on his last two albums. He'd have made a good rapper, and in essence a great poet. Word!!!
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 1:33pm On Jun 24, 2008
great to know that great minds think alike. BEAUTIFUL NUBIA IS SOOOO GOOD TOO especially the "e je a ma ba won so" and the "small peaople's anthem" and "what will it take" track. he did a good job on them.

I still feel modenine wears this crown sha. He uses all the elements of RAP (rhythymatically applied poetry) well, Similies, metaphors, wordplays and all that,

Tuface is good too no doubt but Modenineis that BOMB!!!!!!!!!

my flows are electrifying cos i spit power lines

my cold flows brings more AC to Milan

I'm too dark, so a fair play trophy i dont need

Meeennnn, i m going to look for his previous albums ooooo, dis guy is off the hook!!!!
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by obiem(m): 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2008
In love with Faze's lyrics especially in ''Need Somebody''

I'll be your hero your pillow

lie on me i'll rescue you

i'll be your rainbow , your shadow

i'll clour you, i'll follow

Good work!
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 2:58pm On Jun 24, 2008
nice one obiem. i like it too
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by Madea19(f): 8:26am On Jun 25, 2008
@javalove Meehhn, i feel u. Dose three are really good in their respective ways. Like tuface said, nd i quote
"see we're all gifted and unique in our own different ways, bt we're 1 in d same1 struggle,hustle, bustle . . ."
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 12:29pm On Jun 27, 2008
yap. tuface is right and i gbadun am too,

No one is mentioning ASA

if u working in the market place, dont throw stones,
if only u did, u just might hit, ome of ur own,
life is not about ur policies, all the time
so u better rearrange, ur philosophies and be good to ur fellow man JAILER !!!!!

and lots more
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by Madea19(f): 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2008
Yeah, dat's true, ASA is also one of d artiste dat can pass as poets. I guess there might still be some more whom we've nt mentioned
Re: Nigerian Artistes Than Can Pass As Poets by javalove(m): 5:42pm On Jun 27, 2008
people like who, ?

(1) (Reply)

Looking For The 'adventures Of Tintin' Series As Well As 'asterix & Obelix' / Why Was The Naija Young Writers Club Thread Closed? / Jona, Sisi Stella Nko?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.