Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? (19553 Views)

Going For Masters Abroad!! Which Country Is Easy & Less Expensive? / Top Ten List Of Countries For Masters Degree / Which Of The Uk Universities Is The Cheapest For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by jaybee3(m): 2:31pm On Sep 03, 2013
Not worth the risk if you don't have a solid back-up plan.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by orgasticdance: 2:57pm On Sep 03, 2013
If you are good at what you do and you are ready to work hard and compete with the world's best then you can't go wrong with the united states of a....mbition. And it won't be just your career that would benefit from the move, but your "overall" well being. However, if you're comfortable with the middling medicority that Nigeria is today and in 100 years, in not just what comes to you at the end of the month, but in those other aspects of life--access to decent healthcare, affordable housing, constant power for example-- areas that you have no control/influence over, it's your call to make...

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 735i(m): 3:14pm On Sep 03, 2013
@ OP; Follow your mind.... People keep making silly comparisons. My brother went and came back and got a better paying job, my sister went and suffered, my brother is still suffering, bla-bla-bla...
Before people comment, remember; the OP is NOT your brother that failed or was successful.

If the reason behind your traveling to the US to further your education is genuinely to acquire more knowledge, and you have the funds, then by all means go!

If you were able to land a good job and retain it with a Bsc, i don't see why an MSc will be any different!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 3:28pm On Sep 03, 2013
Thank you so much guys...is been so inspiring reading through advises from people here. I must confess is not an easy decision to take. I am trusting God to provide guidance.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Ralphlauren(m): 3:38pm On Sep 03, 2013
seyenko: i took the same decision in 2004 to study MSc Info Tech in the UK and now i head the IT dept of a bank. However, there are risks most especially in this recessed period. But you shouldn't have much stress being in IT, there is always demand for you so take the step and you will feel fulfilled for life that you followed your dreams

that was 2004, this is 2013 .. a whole 9 years ago.

you cannot compare the labour market then to what is obtainable now. check out the umemployment figures in US and UK.

immigration rules were a lot easier then compared to now.

OP, it is a tough, tough decision you have to make.
you need to ask yourself certain questions most importantly, WILL YOU BE ABLE TO GET A WORK VISA AFTER YOUR STUDY?

employers are not keen on sponsoring work permits these days...too many bottlenecks and too much hastle.

if you had asked this same question 5,6 years ago, i would have told you to jet off to the US.

my honest opinion ? stay in nigeria, continue with ur present job, get an online masters, get the necessary certifications and who knows, you might end up in an O&G firm or any other top multinational company in nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Jay5000(m): 3:45pm On Sep 03, 2013
Don't do it. It will be a big mistake. Nobody asks you for a Masters degree (or even Bachelors degree) for IT jobs in developed countries. Don't lose your current job and waste your money for nothing. If you want to work in the US, you can acquire the relevant certifications and try applying for the jobs from here.I'm talking from experience.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by jinxet2000: 6:17pm On Sep 03, 2013
I think we are all looking at the negative side of it. Let's say before you finish the nmasters, a company has already employed you or you finish and you get a job that will pay you very well. Life is full of risk and most of those that dont take the risk remain stagnant. I am not encouraging you neither am I discouraging you but I am just telling you the two sides of a coin.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by jinxet2000: 6:25pm On Sep 03, 2013
Nobody ever travels to come back to take up his former poistion except those in study leav but people travel to study in order to get bigger and better job.
You can as well take study leave from your comapny. My brother, take the risk! but but but!! ensure you are going to be the best among graduating so you can be competative. One thing I tell my friends, in few years to come, the world will be highly highly competative that if you dont have anything to offer, no recruiter looks at you. And one of the ways to get into the competative line is good and qualitative education. That is why I look at our school system and deem it too poor to face the future competative.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by electronic(m): 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2013
Okay I have done a little research!!
First and foremost put everything in God's Hand(prayer)
1. what is ur degree like?
Computer science, computer engineering ,info Tech, EE, Mech ,Petroleum?
2. What is your academic GPA? 2.1 ? Or first class
3. Have you written GRE? Did you score between 156- 170 inthe quant section...
4. your working .Experience .Would count if you did well in 1,2,3 above.
5. if you have saved good money atleast 1mil nd above (if u are on engineering field or IT) on campus job can do wonders.
6. search . Safe schools ....IT/computer science are .The hottest .On the planet .(Thanks to Indians and the Chinese) undecided
7. 200K is peanuts..... angry compared to the experience u would .Get from To IT firms..IT is hot in Nigeria!! Know ur Onions....u could even save money in summer and double your certification.. cool
8.you also get the .Opportunity to Intern in large companies like FB/Google /apple/Quallcom/T-Mobile /AT&T...etc don't worry Internship in US is not like Nigeria...I love my country oooo cool
9. But you must search for schools wisely.....(hardest Part) embarassed sad sad
10.You don't Have to come .Back!! IT is hot cake..just work Hard..!!
11. If the Indians can do it why can't we?
12. I stop here ..... go to travel section for the real gist..

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 03, 2013
jinxet2000: I think we are all looking at the negative side of it. Let's say before you finish the nmasters, a company has already employed you or you finish and you get a job that will pay you very well. Life is full of risk and most of those that dont take the risk remain stagnant. I am not encouraging you neither am I discouraging you but I am just telling you the two sides of a coin.

At the same time, there is what you call "calculated risk"
Due digilence will tell anyone not to make the move. The number one question that matters is job prospect?
The I.T industry is losing people and yet some are encouraging the guy to Jump ship. If it was a different industry, i would have said hell yea. I.T industry is extremely VOLATILE. Again, DO NOT DO IT. Take it from someone with experience.
Do you want more motivation? 4 guys were leg go last week because they became redundant. Almost everything I.T is outsourced. I needed to fix something on my lappy and went to the I.T floor, they refused asking that i do the right thing whici is: call the help desk. The help desk routes you all the way to India. After 30minutes of wasting my time, the help desk eventually gave me a token to go see an actuall I.T person. I.T departments have shrunk by almost 80% due to resource optimization and outsourcing.

If the OP had no job then go ahead but to leave a 200k job for uncertainty in this VOLATILE period is LUDACRIS. I don warn you ooo

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by electronic(m): 6:59pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^^^^^^^
forgive my queen's .English shocked
Android .Tins cool
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
electronic: ^^^^^^^^
forgive my queen's .English shocked
Android .Tins cool

we need to also forgive your slow empty hen connection.. tongue
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by electronic(m): 7:12pm On Sep 03, 2013
A-town:

we need to also forgive your slow empty hen connection.. tongue
grin
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Empiree: 7:34pm On Sep 03, 2013
@
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Agielted: 9:19pm On Sep 03, 2013
@OP Everyone has given you their opinions. It's up to you to decide on what step to take.
I leave you with one advice : DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR VISA AT HAND! I repeat, DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR F1 VISA AT HAND!
Getting a high GRE score and securing an admission with full financial support won't be a guarantee to getting a visa. I pray that you have the wisdom to go about this. Wish you all the best!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by electronic(m): 11:56pm On Sep 03, 2013
Agielted: @OP Everyone has given you their opinions. It's up to you to decide on what step to take.
I leave you with one advice : DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR VISA AT HAND! I repeat, DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR F1 VISA AT HAND!
Getting a high GRE score and securing an admission with full financial support won't be a guarantee to getting a visa. I pray that you have the wisdom to go about this. Wish you all the best!
Gbam!! Well spoken!! cool so Where is the OP? undecided
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 6:51am On Sep 04, 2013
I am still here. I will post a reply to your questions
electronic:
Gbam!! Well spoken!! cool so Where is the OP? undecided
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
electronic: Okay I have done a little research!!
First and foremost put everything in God's Hand(prayer)
1. what is ur degree like?
Electrical Electronics Engineering
Computer science, computer engineering ,info Tech, EE, Mech ,Petroleum?
2. What is your academic GPA? 2.1 ? Or first class
Second Class Upper, 3.80
3. Have you written GRE? Did you score between 156- 170 inthe quant section...
Yet to write the GRE,but already registered and will be doing the exam ending of this month.
4. your working .Experience .Would count if you did well in 1,2,3 above.
5. if you have saved good money atleast 1mil nd above (if u are on engineering field or IT) on campus job can do wonders.
6. search . Safe schools ....IT/computer science are .The hottest .On the planet .(Thanks to Indians and the Chinese) undecided
7. 200K is peanuts..... angry compared to the experience u would .Get from To IT firms..IT is hot in Nigeria!! Know ur Onions....u could even save money in summer and double your certification.. cool
8.you also get the .Opportunity to Intern in large companies like FB/Google /apple/Quallcom/T-Mobile /AT&T...etc don't worry Internship in US is not like Nigeria...I love my country oooo cool
9. But you must search for schools wisely.....(hardest Part) embarassed sad sad
can you recommend schools for me?
10.You don't Have to come .Back!! IT is hot cake..just work Hard..!!
do i have to marry a yankee citizen to be able to stay?
11. If the Indians can do it why can't we?
12. I stop here ..... go to travel section for the real gist..

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by leyeg: 7:52pm On Sep 04, 2013
Bro,Life is full of risks.and as we all know that there is RISK in taking no RISKS.so on this note,i wil advice u follow ur mind and listen to ur heart.no meta d level of comments and post,once ur mind is made up,no 1 can change it.Talk to God and ask for his direction,am sure his gonna show u the way.best of luck
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 2good(m): 8:17am On Sep 05, 2013
I think the final decision lies with you. I was seriously adviced by people not to leave my high paying job by the Nigerian standard for a masters in Europe but I did and I am very much happy for making that decision today. Most people will tell you not to resign because they feel 200,000 NGN is a big money but as far as i am concern, that is too small for you to mortgage your life on. Life is full of risk. I lef Nigeria for my Masters in 2010 which is peak of recession and that didnt stop me from getting a very good job even 6 months before graduation. I think its better not to speak to people anymore because most will tell you not to go for your masters. The final decision will have to lie with you and please put marriage in your lowest priority now until you have some level of satisfaction career wise because your career determines what kind of future you'll have i.e A bad career means unfulfilled marriage.
Also there are lots of things you learn about studying and living abroad which goes beyond the job people always like to stress on. The average Nigerian is backward in reasoning and very much uncivil in the public including the educated ones that is why the whole country is messed up. Studying/ Living abroad helps you to get some level of sanity and civility in your life which is something you cannot really quantify. Also you get to be in a multicultural environment which helps to build your confidence in the future and also develops many other skills which you will never learn working in a purely Nigerian work environment.
The final decision however lies with you and like I said earlier, stop telling people you plan to resign because they will discourage you from doing that especially the ones that gain from you financially currently. Good luck with your final decision.

9 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 1forall: 8:32am On Sep 05, 2013
^ Great point of view there.

2good: The average Nigerian is backward in reasoning and very much uncivil in the public including the educated ones that is why the whole country is messed up.

Haha spot on cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 05, 2013
Mudley313:

why? abeg expanciate
expatiate. Respect the underlining.

^^^enemy of progress

smh...people make that working for micky D's
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 3:43pm On Sep 05, 2013
Reading this gives me the very courage i ever needed.Thank you for this Piece .
2good: I think the final decision lies with you. I was seriously adviced by people not to leave my high paying job by the Nigerian standard for a masters in Europe but I did and I am very much happy for making that decision today. Most people will tell you not to resign because they feel 200,000 NGN is a big money but as far as i am concern, that is too small for you to mortgage your life on. Life is full of risk. I lef Nigeria for my Masters in 2010 which is peak of recession and that didnt stop me from getting a very good job even 6 months before graduation. I think its better not to speak to people anymore because most will tell you not to go for your masters. The final decision will have to lie with you and please put marriage in your lowest priority now until you have some level of satisfaction career wise because your career determines what kind of future you'll have i.e A bad career means unfulfilled marriage.
Also there are lots of things you learn about studying and living abroad which goes beyond the job people always like to stress on. The average Nigerian is backward in reasoning and very much uncivil in the public including the educated ones that is why the whole country is messed up. Studying/ Living abroad helps you to get some level of sanity and civility in your life which is something you cannot really quantify. Also you get to be in a multicultural environment which helps to build your confidence in the future and also develops many other skills which you will never learn working in a purely Nigerian work environment.
The final decision however lies with you and like I said earlier, stop telling people you plan to resign because they will discourage you from doing that especially the ones that gain from you financially currently. Good luck with your final decision.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by AjanleKoko: 3:02pm On Sep 11, 2013
2good: I think the final decision lies with you. I was seriously adviced by people not to leave my high paying job by the Nigerian standard for a masters in Europe but I did and I am very much happy for making that decision today. Most people will tell you not to resign because they feel 200,000 NGN is a big money but as far as i am concern, that is too small for you to mortgage your life on. Life is full of risk. I lef Nigeria for my Masters in 2010 which is peak of recession and that didnt stop me from getting a very good job even 6 months before graduation. I think its better not to speak to people anymore because most will tell you not to go for your masters. The final decision will have to lie with you and please put marriage in your lowest priority now until you have some level of satisfaction career wise because your career determines what kind of future you'll have i.e A bad career means unfulfilled marriage.

Food for thought, actually.
Especially the bolded.
Though I am still a bit concerned that the OP may be taking a big risk. But truth be told, nothing venture nothing gained.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by akaystum: 10:10am On Sep 13, 2013
kaykad: @2good

do you knw any deolu otunbushin in ijebu ode[size=18pt] @2good

Yes, i know him. What about him?
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by NosoChic: 10:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
Indeed the final decision lies with you. I was in same situation and have finally decided to resign and further my studies.
I believe as someone had earlier said the final decision rests with you- there is no gain without some level of pain or some sort of risk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Truck, 2 Other Vehicles Catch Fire In Osun, Many Feared Trapped / Tipper Truck Falls On Opebi-Oregun Bridge (Photos) / Keke-marwa: The Latest Menace To The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.