Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? (31426 Views)

The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? / Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Zairois: 10:53pm On Oct 16, 2013
Fulaman198:

What you said does not even make sense, Fufu is a food. Bantu is a language group. West Africans have several language groups from Nilo-Saharan, to Niger-Congo (which has languages like Igboid, Yoruboid, Senegambian, etc.) and Afro-Asiatic.

The word bantu come from an observation a white man made he noticed that in these sets of languages we had a common word to refer to more than one person which is "bantu" therefore I made an observation tha you all call a certain type of good "fufu" therefore you are fufu.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 1:35am On Oct 17, 2013
Zairois:

The word bantu come from an observation a white man made he noticed that in these sets of languages we had a common word to refer to more than one person which is "bantu" therefore I made an observation tha you all call a certain type of good "fufu" therefore you are fufu.

Then what is the actual name of the Bantu language group because there are similarities between those languages. You just come off as an angry an upset immature individual. At least when you talk, talk with class
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Zairois: 7:01am On Oct 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

Then what is the actual name of the Bantu language group because there are similarities between those languages. You just come off as an angry an upset immature individual. At least when you talk, talk with class

I'm explaining to you how the word came into use, but I've noticed that after the frequent visits of somalis on this site calling nigerians bantu , you guys think bantu is a race -.-. It simply is a linguistic group.
Me and paul kagame may both speak a "bantu" language but we sure as hell don't go around referring to ourselves as bantu. It just doesn't fit properly.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 7:07am On Oct 17, 2013
Zairois:

I'm explaining to you how the word came into use, but I've noticed that after the frequent visits of somalis on this site calling nigerians bantu , you guys think bantu is a race -.-. It simply is a linguistic group.
Me and paul kagame may both speak a "bantu" language but we sure as hell don't go around referring to ourselves as bantu. It just doesn't fit properly.

Let's not be naive here, no Nigerian believes that Bantu is a race, It was only that Somali, Ajuran or Ayanle who thought Bantu was a race. Every Nigerian has posted evidence that Bantu is a linguistic group. However, you failed to pay close attention. That's your fault. There are a few bantoid language groups in Nigeria like the Tiv. However, West Africa does not have Bantus so to say.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by TonySpike: 7:32am On Oct 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

Let's not be naive here, no Nigerian believes that Bantu is a race, It was only that Somali, Ajuran or Ayanle who thought Bantu was a race. Every Nigerian has posted evidence that Bantu is a linguistic group. However, you failed to pay close attention. That's your fault. There are a few bantoid language groups in Nigeria like the Tiv. However, West Africa does not have Bantus so to say.

This is why I want this ayanle (somali9) to be permanently banned from Nairaland. He is a perpetual hater of any African that is non-Arab or non-Horner. His hatred against the Bantu linguistic group is legendary. He should be restrained on this forum.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 11:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
Zairois:

The word bantu preexisted any white man observation!
Greenberg never invented the term bantu,he just used it as a common denominator to classify a group of related languages.Moreover,all the genetic studies have shown an impressive level of homogeneity among disparate bantus groupsTherefore,it doesn't make sense to see the bantus as a mere linguistic group.The minor genetic differences between the various bantu groups can be accounted by factorizing in the influences of other African groups the bantus came into contact with.The fact is there is no pure race in the world and I cant comprehend why on earth some people expect bantus to be pure.If bantus aren't a race,how can we explain their amazing ability to produce extraordinary peope wherever they are?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Bazil(m): 1:02am On Oct 23, 2013
alanmwene:
Greenberg never invented the term bantu,he just used it as a common denominator to classify a group of related languages.Moreover,all the genetic studies have shown an impressive level of homogeneity among disparate bantus groupsTherefore,it doesn't make sense to see the bantus as a mere linguistic group.The minor genetic differences between the various bantu groups can be accounted by factorizing in the influences of other African groups the bantus came into contact with.The fact is there is no pure race in the world and I cant comprehend why on earth some people expect bantus to be pure.If bantus aren't a race,how can we explain their amazing ability to produce extraordinary peope wherever they are?

Its all nice and beautiful but based on what are they a race and what is a race!!!
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 2:49am On Oct 23, 2013
alanmwene:
Really!?

alanmwene: Greenberg never invented the term bantu,he just used it as a common denominator to classify a group of related languages.
Thus making it a linguistic group.

alanmwene: Moreover,all the genetic studies have shown an impressive level of homogeneity among disparate bantus groups, therefore it doesn't make sense to see the bantus as a mere linguistic group.
That's true but that doesn't stop Bantu being a linguistical group.

alanmwene: The minor genetic differences between the various bantu groups can be accounted by factorizing in the influences of other African groups the bantus came into contact with.

The thing is though that the genetic differences aren't minor at all. Southern African Bantu ethnics like the Xhosa and Tswana are about 30% Khoi-San genetically. The Bantus of Tanzania have quite a lot of Cushitic blood (around 25%). The Luhya of Kenya are about 25% Nilotic genetically. From what I've read, the Central African Bantu don't have much Pygmy genes, However I think overall this is due too undersampling and understudying. I think geneticists should test Central African bantus that live in or around the rainforests to see if these bantus have pygmy blood but I digress.

alanmwene: The fact is there is no pure race in the world and I cant comprehend why on earth some people expect bantus to be pure. If bantus aren't a race, how can we explain their amazing ability to produce extraordinary people wherever they are?
Nobody mentioned anything about purity of race, so your setting yourself up for a straw man argument.
At the Bolded - While I agree that there have been some wonderful Bantu civilizations like The Kongo Kingdom, Great Zimbabwe, Mapungubwe, Swahili Coast etc. This doesn't mean that the Bantu are a unified people. Neither are they a homogenous group of people.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 6:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
Black Kenichi:

Nobody mentioned anything about purity of race, so your setting yourself up for a straw man argument.
At the Bolded - While I agree that there have been some wonderful Bantu civilizations like The Kongo Kingdom, Great Zimbabwe, Mapungubwe, Swahili Coast etc. This doesn't mean that the Bantu are a unified people. Neither are they a homogenous group of people.
Nobody said that bantus are united!Being of the same race or ethnicity doesn't mean being united!Unity is a political aim!I don't know why you think it is not possible!The only thing I can see that might make it impossible is the opposition of other African ethnicities.A bantus union might be seen as too domineering and overwhelming by other africans grin
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Mwenyi: 9:41pm On Oct 12, 2014
kandiikane:

But normadic fulani and city fulani speak the same language just in different dialects. Just as you have the manding people who speak different dilects in different countries. Unless, you want to tell me that Basaa and Shona are the same but just spoken in different dialects. Is basaa mutually intelligible to shona?

I am confused, is bantu now being referred to as an ethnicity? There are different facial characteristics amongst people from ethnicities who speak the bantu languages. No one ethnicity be it from the bantu group or niger congo looks the same but if you want to take a bird's eye view you can easily tell by region not by language. People have been using the word bantu to describe others in a negative manner making it seem like it's a disease to come from that language group(onila).

Yes, southern africans have a certain look so do east west and central when broken down there are certain looks within that southern, central, east or west. So, there is no such thing as looking bantu. We are different and we should embrace our differences as one. I mean, if anyone wants to be we are one and the same. Nothing wrong with that either. We are from the same continent are we not?

I was watching a video yesterday of these somali singers msdarkskin posted and I thought the video was shot in somalian because of the people features but read comments saying it was shot in kenya. To me as an outsider they had the features I will consider somalian but many said they looked kenyan. Saw a picture of some rwandan women, they had somali features but I an sure a somali or rwandan can tell they are not somali.

My families languages include the atlantic languages, if we were classifying looks to languages, as onlia is doing with bantu I look nothing like the limba or fulani. In fact, I don't even know what I look like because no one else can ever tell. I'm bloody all over the place.

We are a race. A bantu race.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by sayisayi(m): 10:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
Oh shit...

JAMB cats using science to back up their atavistic, tribal fuckeries...

Door closes.

Checked out!
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by macof(m): 11:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
shymexx:
I know there are still some bantu's in Nigeria, however, the bantu migration/expansion started with the arrival of the stronger Nilotic and Cushitic people in West Africa around 2000BC to 1000BC. Hence why they decided to move towards areas dominated by the weaker Pygmies.

You can add yours if you have any intelligent post to contribute...trolls, please stay away from this thread.

shymexx:
The Ijaws, Tivs, Igbo's, Ibibios and Cross River are pro-bantu.

And all the other tribes in present day West Africa are Chadic, Nilotic and Cushitic tribes - they all migrated from Northern Africa and the Nile region. The Bamileke's of Cameroun also belong to this group.

This isn't about linguistics - it's about DNA.

Let the E1b1a and E-V38 haplogroup explain further.

Wats this rubbish?! Where did u ever hear nilotic and chadic people dominate West Africa? Because Hausa and kanuri are considered chadic/nilotic doesn't make West Africa dominated by such classifications
Yorubas for one are perfect West Congoids
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Mwenyi: 4:35am On Oct 13, 2014
BlackKenichi:

Bantus are to a certain extent an extended family as their underlying genetic component is Niger-Kordofanian/West African, however Bantus have absorbed a lot genes from other Africans during their expansion.
Bantu has and always will be a linguistical term. It was never meant to be a racial or genetic term. It only became racial or genetic term when Euro-colonists decided that Bantus are homogenous because they speak similar languages.

I have no problem with the word/term Bantu! I certainly think more research should be done on the Bantu Migration.

However as I said to CAMEROONPRIDE? to

Bantus have alot in common. I have met bantu individuals from all corners of Africa. It is like meeting a fellow tribesman who speaks another dialect. Its entertaining pass time when you spend time comparing words and meanings. Even the pastorist bantus still retain the core bantuness. The only people geneticist claim are bantu but totally alien are the tutsi. I do not believe they are bantu. Their culture is similar to cushites. They speak a bantu language but are culturally not.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Mwenyi: 4:45am On Oct 13, 2014
whites hate us because we are one of the rare if not the only African that fought and defeated them.so don't mind the pigs my brothers. Now others Africans are pouring their hate and frustrations on us, but the truth remains the most successful African countries are ruled by Bantu, the richer , wealthier. Never ever consider Bantu as offensive. Bantu is what we are and we are proud of it .

I really feel honored by your comment. All is well my brother, our race is great and shall remain great

HEAR, HEAR,!!
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Mwenyi: 5:35am On Oct 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

What you said does not even make sense, Fufu is a food. Bantu is a language group. West Africans have several language groups from Nilo-Saharan, to Niger-Congo (which has languages like Igboid, Yoruboid, Senegambian, etc.) and Afro-Asiatic.

Fufu is derogatory name for all west africans in other parts of Africa. Just like bantu is derogatory to westerners. It does not have to make sense.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Mwenyi: 5:51am On Oct 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Bantu is a race. There no way around it. We are genetically and linguistically linked. Like all races bantus have absorbed odd types like the tutsi who do not fit in culturally. The reason for the Rwanda massacre.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Mwenyi: 6:26am On Oct 13, 2014
alanmwene:

Nobody said that bantus are united!Being of the same race or ethnicity doesn't mean being united!Unity is a political aim!I don't know why you think it is not possible!The only thing I can see that might make it impossible is the opposition of other African ethnicities.A bantus union might be seen as too domineering and overwhelming by other africans grin

Totally agree. It is something bantus ought to consider though.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 7:30am On Oct 13, 2014
Mwenyi:

Bantu is a race. There no way around it. We are genetically and linguistically links. Like all races bantus have absorbed odd types like the tutsi who do not fit in culturally. The reason for thr Rwanda massacre.

Bantu is a group, not a race.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Sundiatakieta(m): 2:55am On Oct 26, 2015

The question is: who are the Cushites and Nilotes today, and who were they in the past? Once we find an answer to that, then we'll find out that most of the Cushites and Nilotes today aren't necessarily the ones of the past - they migrated into the groups and adopted their language and way of life. However, most of the ones of the past have evolved into different groups. Also, the Bantu language also falls under the Niger-Congo linguistic group. So perhaps, the Niger-Congo group might be a fusion of these new groups and the bantoids.

If we can break down the origins of Niger-Congo family, the language itself, the different migration waves of the people - then we'll get a clearer picture. Pre-1000 BC, before the Bantu expansion/migration - there weren't that many groups living in West Africa. We've to study the timeline of the different invasions in North Africa, the migration of the people in different waves towards West Africa and their expansion, and the beginning of the Bantu expansion - to understand the basis of my hypothesis. So the question is: why did the Bantu migration/expansion start when the new groups started expanding? Also, why did the Bantu move towards the weaker group (pygmies), and not towards West Africa proper?

Moreover, you will find out that the Bantu expansion towards East Africa also stopped when they encountered Cushitic people along that axis. And the few Bantu's left in West Africa (Nigeria to be precise) isolated from the others except probably the Ijaws who were fishermen. We can look at pre-colonial Igbo's, Tiv's, Ibibio's and Annang's - and how they never had contact with the rest of the people in Nigeria or West Africa till probably the 17th century. Evidently, you can connect the dots, to get a clearer picture.

Anyway, this is just a discourse and I'm not trying to undermine any group. There's absolutely nothing wrong in being Bantoid. wink Also, judging based on linguistic and the Eurocentric classification of black people is also a tad bit simplistic, IMO. Europeans don't understand us and I doubt they ever will. Hence, why we need more anthropologists and archaeologists of black origins to do proper scholarships and researches about our ancestry.

In regards to the last line of your comment, here in America we are on it sir. Im not sure if u are familiar with the Green Sahara period 9000 kya, but for 5000 years a major population influx lived there and when the desert dried up, the populations were pushed in every direction including east in the Nile Valley.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 5:59am On Oct 27, 2015
all West Africans and Bantus in Africa that have E1B1A are the Real Hebrew Israelites in the Bible. we came from Israel. please click to this Facebook page :- https://m.facebook.com/e1b1ahaplogroupnation?__tn__=C . ask the Genetics Doctor, he will explain everything to you all . Shalom
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by kwametut: 3:05pm On Dec 17, 2015
Migration has been part of human race since 1st BC. Why did the ancestors of todays white race migrate from black sea area into other parts of Europe? Why did they move WEST not EAST?

I have seen all the stupid explanations about Bantu migrations from west africans and their fvcked up claims.

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Ihuomadinihu: 4:07pm On Dec 17, 2015
kwametut:
Migration has been part of human race since 1st BC. Why did the ancestors of todays white race migrate from black sea area into other parts of Europe? Why did they move WEST not EAST?

I have seen all the stupid explanations about Bantu migrations from west africans and their fvcked up claims.
Lol. Bantus can come from Jupiter. The essential thing is that they are a Niger Congo people: a group that cover West Africa too!cheesy So they can't come from Jupiter but from West Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 9:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol. Bantus can come from Jupiter. The essential thing is that they are a Niger Congo people: a group that cover West Africa too!cheesy So they can't come from Jupiter but from West Africa.
You obsessive desire to link bantus to west Africans is worrisome!Why don't you claim ghanians,tchadians,senegaleses,etc...who belong to the same sudano-sahelian race like you?Sorry mate,you have nothing in common with bantus!Africa would be a better place if it can be divided along racial lines:West Africans stay with west Africans,bantus with bantus,nilotics with nilotics,arabs with arabs,etc...
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2015
alanmwene:

You obsessive desire to link bantus to west Africans is worrisome!Why don't you claim ghanians,tchadians,senegaleses,etc...who belong to the same sudano-sahelian race like you?Sorry mate,you have nothing in common with bantus!Africa would be a better place if it can be divided along racial lines:West Africans stay with west Africans,bantus with bantus,nilotics with nilotics,arabs with arabs,etc...
Sorry! Bantu is not a race or ethnic group,it is a linguistic group from West Africa. You can jump into Limpopo river if you don't like it.
If West Africans are Sudo sahelians in your twisted mind,then Bantus are also Sudo sahelians from West Africa who migrated to East Africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 3:51pm On Dec 18, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Sorry! Bantu is not a race or ethnic group,it is a linguistic group from West Africa. You can jump into Limpopo river if you don't like it.
If West Africans are Sudo sahelians in your twisted mind,then Bantus are also Sudo sahelians from West Africa who migrated to East Africa.
Ok!You have been upgraded:From now on,you are an honorary bantu!
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by wilses: 12:20am On Mar 24, 2016
Fulaman198:

Igbos thinking they are Jews is just one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. I just try not to laugh whenever I see someone type something naive like that.

Ibn Khaldun, who lived in the 13th century, a respected authority on Berber history testified about the Black Jews of Western Sudan with whom he personally interacted. The famous muslim geographer al-Idrisi, born in Ceuta, Spain in the 12th century, wrote extensively about Jewish Negroes in the Western Sudan. Black Jews were fully integrated and achieved pre-eminence in many West African kingdoms. For instance Jews were believed to have settled in great West African empires such as Songhai, Mali, Ghana and Kanem-Bornu empires. According to numerous accounts of contemporary visitors to the region several rulers, and administrators of the Songhai empire were of Jewish origins until Askia Muhammad came to power in 1492 and decreed that all Jews either convert to Islam or leave the region. See Ismael Diadie Haidara, “Les Juifs a` Timbouctou”, Recueil de sources relatives au commerce juif a Timbouctou au XIXe siecle, Editions Donniya, Bamako, 1999.

--Gerald Massey, English writer and author of the book, Egypt the Light of the World, wrote, "The dignity is so ancient that the insignia of the Pharaoh evidently belonged to the time when Egyptians wore nothing but the girdle of the Negro." (p 251)
--Sir Richard Francis Burton, a 19th century English explorer, writer and linguist in 1883 wrote to Gerald Massey, "You are quite right about the "AFRICAN" origin of the Egyptians. I have 100 human skulls to prove it."
Scientist, R. T. Prittchett, states in his book The Natural History of Man, "In their complex and many of the complexions and in physical peculiarities the Egyptians were an "AFRICAN" race (p 124-125).

--The Ancient Greek historian Herodotus, who visited Egypt in the 5th century B.C.E., saw the Egyptians face to face and described them as black-skinned with woolly hair.

--Anthropologist, Count Constatin de Volney (1727-1820),spoke about the race of the Egyptians that produced the Pharaohs. He later paid tribute to Herodotus' discovery when he said:

The ancient Egyptians were true Negroes of the same type as all native born Africans. That being so, we can see how their blood mixed for several centuries with that of the Romans and Greeks, must have lost the intensity of it's original color, while retaining none the less the imprint of it's original mold. We can even state as a general principle that the face (referring to The Sphinx) is a kind of monument able, in many cases, to attest to or shed light on historical evidence on the origins of the people."
-A Roman historian named Tacitus who lived about C.E. 90 said, "Many assert that the Hebrews are an RACE OF ETHIOPIAN ORIGINS." (Book V, Chap. 2)

Abraham came from Ur of the Chaldees (Gen. 11, 31) Godfrey Higgins, a careful and reliable English antiquary says, “The Chaldees were originally Negroes.” (Anacalypsis, Vol. II, p. 364. New York, 1927)

--The Koran reads: “And he (Moses) drew forth his hand out of his bosom and behold it appeared white unto the spectators.” (Chap. Vii, p. 128) “And put thy right hand under thy left arm; it shall come forth white.” (Sale: Al Koran, p. 257. 1784.)

Sale adds: “There is a tradition that Moses was a very swarthy man.” (p. 128)

Sir T.W. Arnold says, “According to Mohammedan tradition, Moses was a black man.” (The Preaching of Islam, p. 106. Westminster, 1896.)

--They all had Abyssinian features according to Charles L. Brace 1862 p. 185 the races of the Old World. "They were as dark as the black Jews of Abyssinia..." (ibid.)

The Jews of Arabia were the same and in particular the Kohanim of Khaibar are described as "people whose color is closer to black than any other" color by Ludovico Bartema an Italian of the 16th century.

In a Midrash: "The black people will come out of Egypt, Kush will stretch its hands to God"

Church Father Theodore of Mopsuestia says above the Shulamite bride in the 'Song of Songs': "She was black like all the Egyptians and Ethiopians."

Church Father Origen Adamantius says of the Egyptians: "They are the discolored (black) posterity of Ham"

--What serves to confirm the ethnic reality depicted
by Judah's Assyrian conquerers is the discovery of
an ossuary at Lachish dated to the time of the
conquest. It is the largest sample of Israelite
remains and comes from a city that was populated
the previous 500 years by Israelites. 695 crania of
all ages and both genders were uncovered.

D. L. Risdon in BIOMETRIKA 1939 31:99-166 reports
the Lachish cranial series has its closest resemblance
to the 4th dynasty series from Deshasheh and Medum
in Lower Egypt and the 18th dynasty samples from Thebes
and Abydos in Upper Egypt. Cranial samples from other
Palestinian sites (Gezer, Megiddo) agree with the Lachish
cranium. Thus we have a clear African "racial" continuum
in the Hebrews and Egyptians.

=====================================================================================================

From Arabia we have these descriptions from early Western explorers:

“The inhabitants of this part of Arabia nearly all belong to the race of Himyar. Their complexion is almost as black as the Abyssinians,”-- Baron von Maltzan, 'Geography of Southern Arabia' (1872)

“ [the Hamida are] small chocolate colored beings, stunted and thin… with mops of bushy hair… straggling beards , vicious eyes, frowning brows … armed with scabbards slung over the shoulder and Janbiyyah daggers…” a people “of the great Hejazi tribe that has kept his blood pure for the last 13 centuries…”-- Sir Richard Burton (1879)

“The people of Dhufar are of the Qahtan tribe, the sons of Joktan mentioned in Genesis: they are of Hamitic or African rather than Arab types…”--Arnold Wilson, The Geographical Journal (1927)

“the most prosperous tribe of all the Hamitic group, possessing innumerable camels, herds of cattle and the richest frankincense country. They resemble the Bisharin tribe of the Nubian desert. Men of big bone , they have long faces long narrow jaws, noses of a refined shape long curly hair and brown skin.”--Richmond Palmer (1929)

“Mahra is the Arab name for the Bedouin tribes who are different in appearance to other Arabs, having almost beardless faces, fuzzy hair and dark pigmentation – such as the Qarra, Mahra and Harasis… Also on “…the Qarra, Mahra and Harasis with parts of other tribes. The language is derived from the language of the Sabaeans, Minaeans and Himyarites. The Mahra with other Southern Arabian peoples seem aligned to the Hamitic race of north-east Africa… The Mahra are believed to be descended from the Habasha, who colonized Ethiopia in the first millennium BC”-- David Phillips, Peoples on the Move (2001)

“European observers have made much of their physical resemblance to Somalis and Ethiopians, but there is no historical evidence of any connections.”-- E. Peterson, 'Oman’s Diverse Society: Southern Oman'

And scholars have long noted:

“Mr. Baldwin draws a marked distinction between the modern Mahomedan Semitic population of Arabia and their great Cushite, Hamite, or Ethiopian predecessors. The former, he says, ‘are comparatively modern in Arabia,’ they have ‘appropriated the reputation of the old race,’ and have unduly occupied the chief attention of modern scholars.”-- Charles Hardwick (1872)

“Among ‘these Negroid features which may be counted normal in Arabs are the full,rather everted lips, shortness and width of nose, certain blanks in the bearded areas of the face between the lower lip and chin and on the cheeks; large, luscious,gazelle-like eyes, a dark brown complexion, and a tendency for the hair to grow in ringlets. Often the features of the more Negroid Arabs are derivatives of Dravidian India rather than inheritances of Hamitic Africa. Although the Arab of today is sharply differentiated from the Negro of Africa, yet there must have been a time when both were represented by a single ancestral stock; in no other way can the prevalence of certain Negroid features be accounted for in the natives of Arabia.”-- Henry Field, Anthropology Memoirs Volume 4 (1902)

“The Cushites. the first inhabitants of Arabia, arc known in the national traditions by the name of Adites, from their progenitor, who is called Ad, the grandson of Ham.”-- F. Lenormant (1922)

“There is a considerable mass of evidence to show that there was a very close resemblance between the proto-Egyptians and the Arabs before either became intermingled with Armenoid racial elements.”-- Elliot Smith, he Ancient Egyptians and the Origins of Civilization (1923)

“In Arabia the first inhabitants were probably a dark-skinned, shortish population intermediate, between the African Hamites and the Dravidians of India and forming a single African Asiatic belt with these.”-- Handbook of the Territories which form the Theater of Operations of the Iraq Petroleum Company Limited and its Associated Companies

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Cremation Should Be Practiced In Nigeria. / Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video) / History Made In Ikorodu As Solat Was Observed On Their Late King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.