Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,787 members, 7,806,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Pilot Career - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72473 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 10:07am On Aug 15, 2008
U are welcome Superboi

I'll find out more from my friend who got selected.

He had a
PPL from RAND flying school or so (in SA sha).

Things get much easier with at least a PPL (Fixed Wings or HPPL for the better, thats for interested RotorHeads)
Re: Pilot Career by tobaaro(m): 2:35am On Aug 17, 2008
@ Stalker

I lyk dat ur jist gaan!
Arik Air shuld be fast about it before i past d age of 25 and become ineligible oo
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 11:48am On Aug 17, 2008
for those of you who could not open the link I posted, it was an article from "The Tide" newspaper. It said:

Bayelsa to train 20 pilots

• Thursday, Aug 14, 2008

Bayelsa Government has entered into a partnership with Virgin Nigeria Airways to train 20 youths from the state as pilots.

Governor Timipre Sylva disclosed this in Yenagoa during the celebration of the International Youth Day.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Youth Development and Employment, Dr. Abrakasa Fiepre, represented the governor on the occasion.

Sylva urged youths to co-operate with the government to develop the state by prevailing on their colleagues from neighbouring states to desist from crime.

He re-affirmed his administration’s commitment to youth development and promised to give them scholarships to study in Norway and the US.

The governor also said 60 youths had been sent to India to study information Technology, while 30 would be trained as Air Traffic Officers by the Nigerian Airspace Management Authority.

He said government would soon establish a local content building Institute in partnership with UNDP, and urged youths to reciprocate government’s investment by maintaining peace. In a goodwill message, the Chairman of Ijaw Youths Council, central Zone, Mr. Jonathan Lokpobiri, called on the government to adopt policies that would benefit the youth.

Lokpobiri appealed to the youth to adopt a non-violent approach in their struggles.

A representative of NYSC, Mr. Nelson Opuwaribo appealed to government to base the award of scholarship abroad on merit.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2008
Whao!

Whats my own state doing to empower the youth?

They can at least sponsor 5 cadets.

Bayelsa, tumbs up!
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 6:16pm On Aug 18, 2008
I hear states used to have 2 slots in NCAT Zaria before.

What happened to that state-based sponsorship?
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:23pm On Aug 21, 2008
NO!

This thread shouldnt sink downwards.

Our aspirations wont just sink like that!

Who has news or info?
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:28pm On Aug 24, 2008
@Wham,

With this info, do you think virgin will still train from outside. I doubt sha ooooooooooo.

Kudos to bayelsa state. that state can do anything to educate their sons and daughters. I wish am from that state.

@ RDV,
Nice one there. Thanks
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 4:05pm On Aug 26, 2008
ivy 4u i think we can all keep hoping? but with this divesting stuff to(virgin atlantic is planning to sell it share in vk) i still hope they call on us all
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2008
people heard virgin calling people today, have they called anyone here?
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 1:20am On Aug 31, 2008
I was called for test, but dont have an idea what the test is like.
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 3:47pm On Sep 01, 2008
ivy 4u the test would probably will be similar to bristow heli test but maybe with a spatial orientation test to(i.e fixing shapes together et al), maths english and maybe some essays, relax and wishing you the best
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2008
Wishing U the best too

cool
Re: Pilot Career by femo2000(m): 4:57pm On Sep 02, 2008
Hello Guys, whats up? its being a long time, I have being out doing some runs--

Actualy, the laptop I use needed serious grin ;Dmedical attention cheesy cheesy and secondly

I went for A&P25(Aircraft Maint. Engineering) exam at NCAT last week, guys it was crazy, we really need help in Nigeria -- Reason-- We were about 300 candidates who sat for the exam and only 20 candidates will be picked, many like me scaled tru the first paper, but the second paper is where the elimination really is. With all that, I heard the Rector already have about 10 candidate like Ministers kids e.t.c But for me sha , God dey no be buy my power, na flying I wan do sef. Plenty story dey that I cant tell online right now cos am doing this in a Cafe not at home.

@Ivy 4U How you dey, whats up with your people now (e bi like say them they do slow), are you sure your admission is not stalling with your school.

@ everybody
Have you all notice that Nigerian Banks are peddling Education Support loan adverts, Do you guys really think they can borrow us USD$60,000 to finance our dreams?

whats up with arik Air, have they done any advert? I have not seen any think on their website.
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 7:34pm On Sep 02, 2008
@femo,

My people are actually slow oooooooooooo. Infact we (school, sponsors and me) all had issues but thank God is over now. Is a very long story my dear.

The good news is that they have finnally settled the school, remaining me,but that one na small thing. They will do that soon.

Wats up, where have you been. Did virgin call you for test?

@superboi.
Thanks
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2008
@ IVY4U
Congrats on your forward stap.I wish you God's guidance and protection.Never forget to study hard and take it easy especially on the flying aspect of the course.
Take care.
@others,
I did make some enquiries as regards Bank Loans for Pilot Training and they all seem to be in the negative right now.But i want to attribute it to lack of feasibility studies by most of those banks.So dont give up.Always remember to keep the ball centred and keep the needles in the green. wink
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 8:30pm On Sep 04, 2008
well i think you need to have like 20% of the dough with a garantour b4 u could access that bank loan stuff,,,,,,,am wondering if you have the same amount i bet some airlines will be willing to help you. all the best to those writing vk test
Re: Pilot Career by Pastorial: 3:52pm On Sep 06, 2008
Pilots? in this age?
Well maybe in Africa.
Because in Europe we can fly a plane from Britain to Nigeria with a pilot.
By the time you get your certificate and done with training , You might be looking for another career change.

In most devloped countries , we have train without drivers - DLR and a lot is going underground.
Ever wondered why all about this nuclear power generation all over the world?
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 8:12pm On Sep 06, 2008
@Pastorial,
It could be easy for train but not so easy for plane. If i may ask, do you understand properly the concept of flying a plane. The controls are not like a train and unlike train the flight part are very different.

I know engineers are trying to improve on flight operation, but they have said they cannot completely eliminate the controls of the pilots. they are only trying to reduce the controls. this is because there are no enough pilots.

Maybe you have facts, but please do back your points with facts,it makes understanding a lot easier.

Thanks for yur contribution all the same.
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 1:24am On Sep 07, 2008
hello ivy4u, hope your test went ok?
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 6:36pm On Sep 07, 2008
I hope the test went well.

Been away 4 a while
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2008
The test was ok.It was simple, but they gave a feedback 30mins after the txt and called some persons that they were succesfull.
There was something that happened, all the successfull persons happens to be sitting in some particular side of the hall.I was told later by an insider that most off the successful people were their crew/ staff.

Ofcourse , we cant be expecting that they leave their staffs to pick outsider. what they woudnt have done was to drag people from their houses when they know who they wanted. The insider that told me said complains are coming into their office and he actually wanted to know if i noticed any fowl in the hall. na them sabi sha, at least am not loosing out, i still get my sponsors.
Re: Pilot Career by onyii4j(f): 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2008
IVY4U:

The test was ok.It was simple, but they gave a feedback 30mins after the txt and called some persons that they were succesfull.
There was something that happened, all the successfull persons happens to be sitting in some particular side of the hall.I was told later by an insider that most off the successful people were their crew/ staff.

Ofcourse , we can't be expecting that they leave their staffs to pick outsider. what they woudnt have done was to drag people from their houses when they know who they wanted. The insider that told me said complains are coming into their office and he actually wanted to know if i noticed any fowl in the hall. na them sabi sha, at least am not loosing out, i still get my sponsors.

I thought i was the only one that noticed.
anyway @IVY, i wish you all the best in your endeavors, would really love 2 be flown by u, someday.
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 7:00pm On Sep 08, 2008
IVY4U notin spoil. at least focus and with your sponsors you be flying in 2 years max. please could you contact me through email any time you are free so i can get more details about the school from you? my email addy is in my profile
Re: Pilot Career by molaleye: 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2008
Hi guys,
Just came across this forum completely by chance. RDV and pilot77 don't know who you guys are my email address is markusolaleye@hotmail.com get in touch and introduce yourself cheesy.
Markus
Re: Pilot Career by zeun4: 1:42pm On Sep 09, 2008
Hi. I'm also interested in this sponsorship schemes. I have National Diploma (ND) in elect/elect and im currently in HND II. Can I apply for any? Please, i need more information from you all, Tanx. My email is (talk2ajasco@yahoo.ca)
Re: Pilot Career by femo2000(m): 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2008
@IVF4U

Am really glad that you have have actually gotten the green light. at least a fellow Nairaland is going up in the skys. A female 4 that matter but sha when you get your wings there would not be a term like Female Pilot or Male Pilot- A Pilot is a Pilot.

Just gist us when you are about to leave so we can send you forth.

How ever, Did you have any info whether you can get any part-time job like 3hrs/day while studying? Do you have any Plan B?

With regards to the runs I said, there is every possibility that I should be in the U.S b4 d end of the year.
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 4:48pm On Sep 09, 2008
@ femo2000,
What runs? That would be great. Which is your school? Let's get more intimate, maybe through mail or call.
Yes, they said i can work. They said they are going to help get me a job.

I will sure let you guys know. You too gist us too when evertyhing works out.
All da best.

@superboi,
I will as soon as am free, but am quite busy now.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 11:17pm On Sep 10, 2008
. . .
Re: Pilot Career by sheflies: 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2008
hey guys, as a fellow flying enthusiast, i must say Nigeria is no where in providing for fliers,
d gov actually asked y they shld shell out 7mil 4 a single pilot whne dt can pay 4 10 doctors imagine?
your best bet is to get a people/cpl if u can if u ave those your on your way n compaines will u as a more
profitable option

n ivy4u: congrats.
im acutally doing my masters now but will probably relocate to cali to get a ppl or hppl there
still deciding which id rather
Re: Pilot Career by ibfunk: 4:00pm On Sep 11, 2008
Get to know more of this website. It is the i have ever designed http://www.thequotes.007sites.com
Re: Pilot Career by aderogbaa: 10:38am On Sep 14, 2008
Hello House, i applied for the Virgin Nigeria Pilot cadetship and i have just passed the first stage Test, I am really bent on studying piloting and building a career in this. b4 my VNA cadetship application i have been applying to several schools but the cheapest of them all is in South Africa and Canada (=N=4 million), a few banks cld offer study loans but PHB will only offer to Uk and worst of all will only offer sponsorship to if there is availability of collecteral unfortunately this is not available, i was wondering y agreements cannot be made between the banks and schools to hold the certificates and license as security and the when the candidate gets a job he pays back the money borrowed , IVY4u i believe you have more experience in applications and you have been successful with getting sponsorship , can you pls advice me on how to go about this?, i will be glad if i can get sum help, my email is abayomiaderogba @yahoo.co.uk or 08037552813 we cld chat on d messenger as i am always online, pls holla back, Yomie
Re: Pilot Career by RotorHead1: 6:27pm On Sep 14, 2008
@ aderogba, the banks will find it difficult to follow that procedure, because there is no way to completely guarantee that you will complete your training,its too much of a risk for them reason being that several people dream of becoming pilots but the fact that not everyone can fly is inevitable.Although there are ways that they can ascertain if indeed a person would likely qualify as a good pilot, its still subject to forces beyond human control, you may have dreamed of flying all your life and all of a sudden go through an emotional trauma after watching a few minutes of Air Transport accidents on Discovery or even witness an Air mishap first hand.Also the banks are not sure how long it will take for you to get employed and how much you will be worth after training, before they begin to recoup their investment.

My take on this is that before banks can actively participate, a more pragmatic training solution will have to be developed, maybe restructuring NCAT, and involving the Airlines as well so there is no vacuum between completing training and getting employed.

@FORUM I have a friend who has finished form APTRAC he has his CPL/MULTI/IR and 200+hrs.He has also done his conversion with NCAA.Please if there is anyone that has info on airlines who are hiring, kindly post here or email bayont@yahoo.com

Good luck all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.