Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44342 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2013
Fynestboi: Get your pens ready...

First of its kind dnt be left out

https://www.nairaland.com/1475800/nairaland-annual-educational-debate-competition
law lords in the house cheesy let's nominate someone from here as a debater. @fynestboi thumbs up.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:05am On Oct 14, 2013
Fynestboi: Get your pens ready...

First of its kind dnt be left out

https://www.nairaland.com/1475800/nairaland-annual-educational-debate-competition
I'm interested in the debate. Just waiting for the 16th when the nomination starts.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:11am On Oct 14, 2013
Samoranopapa: okay wat of an issue whereby ur mum,u,nd ur GF re lawyers,nd unfortunately ur GF is been accused of killing ur own bro nd charged to court nd ur mum is standing 4 the govt,nd u re standing 4 ur GF.ow will u go through it ?(nd ur GF is insisting dat she want u as her lawyer)
To the best of my knowledge, the law doesn't prohibit you from representing your lover. But you should know the the opposing counsel could use your relationship with her as a weapon against you.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 11:28pm On Oct 14, 2013
Fentoluwa: I think there are professional ethics rules that bars a lawyer from representing a client in cases like this
i saw it in one mexican film DESTINY HEART season film
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 11:38pm On Oct 14, 2013
Illuminatus:
To the best of my knowledge, the law doesn't prohibit you from representing your lover. But you should know the the opposing counsel could use your relationship with her as a weapon against you.
yes av seen a case lyk dat b4,i mean in a mexican season film DESTINY HEART,nd the mother still go on with the case cos dey believe dat she is the only competent nd intelligent lawyer
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:41am On Oct 15, 2013
Where's everybody? I'm having problems keeping down the Theories of Law from this Jurisprudence textbook o!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 6:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
And the thread is seemingly dying...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 6:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
Illuminatus: And the thread is seemingly dying...
it wnt..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 7:56am On Oct 19, 2013
Pls my people in the house as an aspirant,I want to read law book nd I don't knw the one to read can u pls tell me the books I can read,so that when I get to sch I will be able to cope well
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 12:22pm On Oct 19, 2013
Samoranopapa: Pls my people in the house as an aspirant,I want to read law book nd I don't knw the one to read can u pls tell me the books I can read,so that when I get to sch I will be able to cope well
What level are you in?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by IamDejman(m): 1:11pm On Oct 19, 2013
Samoranopapa: Pls my people in the house as an aspirant,I want to read law book nd I don't knw the one to read can u pls tell me the books I can read,so that when I get to sch I will be able to cope well
Nigeria legal method, nigeria legal system....learn and study d interpretation of statues very well....read also sources of Nigerian law

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 3:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Illuminatus:
What level are you in?
am still an aspirant waiting 4 admission
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 3:57pm On Oct 19, 2013
IamDejman:
Nigeria legal method, nigeria legal system....learn and study d interpretation of statues very well....read also sources of Nigerian law
thanks Bro
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 19, 2013

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 7:01pm On Oct 19, 2013
Creative mind: I've been a bit busy all this while. May I bring this to memory once again:

THE BEAUTY OF LAW
Just as we find beauty in nature: in the dew that comes in the morning, in the sun that sets in the afternoon, in the moon that comes at night, in the stars that adorn the sky, in the rainbow that displays its colours, in the flower that blooms in the spring time, in the leaves that turn green in the raining season, in the soft and placid wave of the sea, in the fruits with their diverse shapes, colours and sweetness, in the cool and tender breeze that announces the impending birthof rain; just so we find the magnificence that cannot be qualified or quantified in law.

Everything that God created is beautiful. Everything that adds value to human’s existence is superb. Everything that tasks well is impressive; and so is every success in the quest of a noble progression. God created the earth with beautiful words, beautiful words with a tone of authority. Authority has its origin in the rule of law. With law today, we might not know what would happen tomorrow but we sure know those things that should happen.

The definition of law I lack the words to style, how it operates remains enigmatic; I only know there is noample and satisfactory definition of law.To me,law makes man the noblest of all animals; without law he is a wild beast.The beauty of law is the beauty of life; the beauty of life lies in how well we obey the law. The law may not make a man love me but it can keep him from lynching me. Law is one heartbeat that links all natures.

The beauty of music can only be loved through the ear. The beauty of art may never be appreciated by the blind. Wealth may deprive the common men of the beauty that lies in living in a palace. Every man cannot be anoffice-bearer. The science of medicine is imperfect without the law that regulates it, just as power without control leads to tyranny. The beauty of law affords every man one thing, so expensive that no amount of wealth can procure the least of it if not merited, so cheap that the most disadvantaged man on his death bed without a dime is abundantly entitled to it: justice.

It is always normal for me to sit in a lonely place and reflect on those evolving standards of decency which has breathed new life into the “unavoidable,cruel, barbaric and brutal punishment” which would have been the typicaljingle on the streets if not for this imperceptible saviour. The beauty of law unlike other sciences can be felt, seen, perceived and heard. So mild to exclude the children from its anger, knowing quite well they might have intended no damage. Oh! Law can be viewed as an African mother in this regard. I must not forget to say that it glowers with fury on delinquents and violators in every part of the world. The science of law is no magic. Yet, it does wonders. In science,one may need a microscope to clear hisuncertainty about onion having a cell but with law; even a sightless man can see justice being done. Be you so high, the law is above you, be you so low, the law would protect you.

One of the beauties lies in its substancefixed in morality: it is ethicallywrong to make a promise you would not be able to fulfill, this is what law polished to read “nemo dat quod non habet” meaning you cannot give what you do not have. Also, the law teaches us to give as you cannot sow naught and reap bounty. In other words, “quid pro quo,” give something for you to get one.As rational creatures, humans tends to be irrational in selectedoccasions such as when undertension, incitement or distress, these the science of medicine addresses by the use of drugs such as downing drugs but the law better addresses this, you need not be told what would become of you if eventually you slay a man who annoys you. Law comes to play both when men are rational and when they are not; even a contract with an insane man is binding in his articulate period.“Nemo tenetur ad impossible”, the law requires no man to achieve the impossible. Yet, even the rights of generations unborn are protected under the law.

The beauty of law includes its ability to live in perpetuity. Law is anchored to the past; it is very much thriving today and of course it would still live to witness the exposure of the verdict day. I’m convincedeven Angels are guided by laws. Law is the unsurpassed discipline on earth; I have nobit ofreservationthat it would sure be in heaven too. Like a magician, law foresaw the likely humiliationof leaving men to handle disputes in their own ways. Hence it is said that “nemo judex incasasua” (you can’t be a judge in your own case). Sex, status, colour or infirmity is not a bar to fair hearing in the sanctuary of justice for“audi alterem patem,” the law would hear both sides. The law is not applied blindly and falsely: a guilty act alone does not suffice to justify punishment for crime; a guilty intent must be established.The legal minds can enlighten you.

There is law in everything and everything revolves roundlaw. How did law find its way into Economics? The law of diminishing returns. Do you know about Faraday’s law of electrolysis in Physics? What about the laws of thermodynamics in Science? I predict no one is ignorant of the fact that our movement is predicated on the law of motion. The law of life itself is change. No field is self-sufficient without law, if you have your doubt; ask yourself why doctors, engineers, journalists, linguists, historians, writers and others patronize the court of law. A fault in law would categoricallyaffect all natures. Even the ordinary acts of falling trees are regulated by environmental law. Injustice somewhere is undeniably a threat to justice everywhere.

The beauty of law for those who know it comes into play every time we breathe. We become assured that tomorrow is bright; we see the rays of hope penetratingthrough our struggles to replenish it, we see the potential the world has to become another nirvana by our obedience to the law. Everybody can live without law but nobody can ever live prudently without it: justice, equality, freedom, liberty and human rights would be dishonoured with impunity; the essence of life is to live in peace barren of fear.If there were no law, the lives of common men would be used as a bet for dog’s contest. The master would throw his servant into the ocean delightedlylike a worthless coin for slumbering; the rich would set the houses of the lowly on fire for looking ugly and the big vehicles would hit the small ones knowingly to pave way.

I think I need to tell you these; you can enjoy the fruit of law without spending a dime. You need no noble predecessor to be received by the temple of justice. Your vocation or academic credentials are no requirements. The only cost you need make is to be vigilant since it is a time-honoured dictum in law that “equity favours the vigilant and not the indolent”.

The beauty of law is colossal; its essence is beyond every imagination. It is good to learn the law, it is better to know the law; the best is to live by the law. By doing these we are keeping the law and if we allow the law to guide us, it would surely guard us. An end to law might be an end to all.
yes I love dis....it really make sense
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by olalerey(m): 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
Hi d barristers in da house , dis thread is dieing off gradually ,so lemme use dis to wake am up
pls my ogas ,wat ar d differences btw, homicide,manslaughter,matricide,and suicide?

2ndly wic one cn we say is d least nd the highest crime in criminal law?

3rdly what are the relationship betwen fundamental human rights and criminal law?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
Where are the lawyers there s questns ooo.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 9:20pm On Oct 29, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 11:48pm On Oct 30, 2013
Pls all my oga @ the top,I wanna ask dat if a person go to Ghana to study law can the person still come back to Nigeria to go to NLS nd also work in Nigeria ?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 7:00am On Oct 31, 2013
Samoranopapa: Pls all my oga @ the top,I wanna ask dat if a person go to Ghana to study law can the person still come back to Nigeria to go to NLS nd also work in Nigeria ?
Technically speaking, yes.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 7:08am On Oct 31, 2013
olalerey: Hi d barristers in da house , dis thread is dieing off gradually ,so lemme use dis to wake am up
pls my ogas ,wat ar d differences btw, homicide,manslaughter,matricide,and suicide?

2ndly wic one cn we say is d least nd the highest crime in criminal law?

3rdly what are the relationship betwen fundamental human rights and criminal law?
I'm going to skip the first question. I don't have the time for it now.
Now, ranking the listed crimes from the bad to worse:
Suicide (technically, this isn't a crime which is why I ranked it last)

Homicide
Manslaughter - this crime is quite related to murder but the difference is that the criminal didn't have the intent to kill. If found guilty, the accused could spend years in prison but not for as long as a murderer.
Matricide - The murder of anyone, much less one's mother is a very huge criminal offense punishable by a long term inprisonment.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by olalerey(m): 7:32am On Oct 31, 2013
Tanks boss 4 answerin my ques bt u hav'nt answered my last ques.... grin
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 7:58am On Oct 31, 2013
I wasn't even aware there was an unattempted question here..Let me approach no 1..
The differences between all these crimes can be deduced from their definitions.
Suicide-The deliberate killing of oneself

Homicide-The deliberate termination of someone else's life which is popularly known as Murder.

Manslaughter-It is the inadvertent and accidental taking of someone else's life..Attimes,this could be in form of self-defence.

Matricide-This is the murder of one's mother.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mesopotamia(f): 7:58am On Oct 31, 2013
Diz thread aint lyk b4 again
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2013
Illuminatus:
Technically speaking, yes.
thanks boss so which sch can I study law in Ghana dat is well recognise in NLS
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
Hello BROS IN THE HOUSE, WHO KNWS WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD LAW TEXTBOOKS ONLINE? undecided
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 8:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
Do not miss the 1st NL interschool debate, you would not want to be gisted, come experience the fun, clash of writers, orators and debaters... Be there from the very beginning up to the end.. Click the flick and join the train via www.nairaland.com/1499392/nairaland-interschool-debate-planning-thread/
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 6:09am On Nov 06, 2013
LEARNED LAWYERS IN D HOUSE, WHERE ARE YOU GYS NA? WAT SITE CAN I VIEW PREVIOUS LAW CASES. undecided
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 8:45am On Nov 06, 2013
olire: LEARNED LAWYERS IN D HOUSE, WHERE ARE YOU GYS NA? WAT SITE CAN I VIEW PREVIOUS LAW CASES. undecided
Nigerian Legal System isn't...well, upgraded. I'm not sure you can find textbooks used in Nigerian universities online much less finding cases online. You can find the cases in books. I don't remember what it's called but it's published yearly.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
Nigerian Legal System isn't...well, upgraded. I'm not sure you can find textbooks used in Nigerian universities online much less finding cases online. You can find the cases in books. I don't remember what it's called but it's published yearly.
yeah, there is a book, Nigeria Weekly Law Report (NWLR) i tot a website will be available. To get D weekly law repot, i have to buy. But i need the cases 4 research, assignment and all odas.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply)

Helen Onyinyechi Maduakonam Graduates With First Class At LAUTECH / Lagos School Principal Becomes A Student For One Day / Ademola Tayo, Babcock VC: Why We Expelled Sex Tape Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.