Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44305 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:05am On Nov 06, 2013
olire: yeah, there is a book, Nigeria Weekly Law Report (NWLR) i tot a website will be available. To get D weekly law repot, i have to buy. But i need the cases 4 research, assignment and all odas.
Sorry, but there isn't any official website for that yet. Last I heard, the Chief Justice said she and her subordinates are working on setting a website for this. So for the moment, you're stuck with buying. You could check out your state library. If it's well stocked, it could have what you need.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2013
olire: yeah, there is a book, Nigeria Weekly Law Report (NWLR) i tot a website will be available. To get D weekly law repot, i have to buy. But i need the cases 4 research, assignment and all odas.
check www.lawpavilionplus.com/ for report on nigerian cases. Note that you might not find the case u are looking for there but might find something related. For proper law research u need the help of a library or law firm. Law firms buy multiple years of law reports and law indexes. So u would find it easy to look for cases with the help of the index so long as u have the point of law.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
gentlefada: check www.lawpavilionplus.com/ for report on nigerian cases. Note that you might not find the case u are looking for there but might find something related. For proper law research u need the help of a library or law firm. Law firms buy multiple years of law reports and law indexes. So u would find it easy to look for cases with the help of the index so long as u have the point of law.
i have tried lawpavilion, do i have 2 pay to use d site?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
Sorry, but there isn't any official website for that yet. Last I heard, the Chief Justice said she and her subordinates are working on setting a website for this. So for the moment, you're stuck with buying. You could check out your state library. If it's well stocked, it could have what you need.
if its about library, there is no problem, we hav one in our faculty. I wanted to knw if there was a site so dat i wnt have 2 b goin 2 d library every time. Besides, d library's own is somehow cumbersome.
About wat d supreme cout said, i wnt to deir site, but its like de portal is nt yet complete. sad
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by hayy1(f): 12:53am On Nov 11, 2013
Good morning,I was directed here,I'm a final year law student,I'm writing my project on oil and gas. Topic: Gas flaring and the nigerian environment :a case study of the niger delta,I have a problem,my supervisor told me to make it legal, rather than descriptive,I need opinion(s) on how to go about reframing it.Thanks in anticipation.
(Quote) (Report)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Oxman(m): 11:45pm On Nov 14, 2013
hay y: Good morning,I was directed here,I'm a final year law student,I'm writing my project on oil and gas. Topic: Gas flaring and the nigerian environment :a case study of the niger delta,I have a problem,my supervisor told me to make it legal, rather than descriptive,I need opinion(s) on how to go about reframing it.Thanks in anticipation.
(Quote) (Report)
where re d learned minds *d cooked ones* coz we re still foetus. Creative mind nd Co plz let help a learned colleague she need help plz.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 23, 2013
where are the legal minds?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by fowowe411: 12:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
Fentoluwa: where are the legal minds?
I guess the thread has been abadoned.that's what you get when you create a thread with no feasible purpose.Btw are you a Law student?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 28, 2013
fowowe411: I guess the thread has been abadoned.that's what you get when you create a thread with no feasible purpose.Btw are you a Law student?
yes, I am..what about U?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
I'm not here because nobody talks here anymore. This strike is driving me crazy and I expecting that someone would start a tutoring programme for new students here. I read somewhere of an Economics student doing the same *shrugs*. Anyway, what's up everyone?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
Illuminatus: I'm not here because nobody talks here anymore. This strike is driving me crazy and I expecting that someone would start a tutoring programme for new students here. I read somewhere of an Economics student doing the same *shrugs*. Anyway, what's up everyone?
That would be very welcome...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Gelco(f): 8:05pm On Dec 05, 2013
kolado: Do u knw caesar in 300l?
Yea, I know Caesar. Just saw this.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by readonenaire(m): 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
about the tutorial, why someone not bring up a lucid subject of law and then the mature learned one give on the spotlight, then we contribute the little we can. A humble suggestion
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2013
If you see this and you're in first year (just got admitted) Law, ESUT, contact me through a PM
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2013
I'm currently reading this textbook on Nigerian Legal Method by Abiola Sanni and I'm not grabbing it as good as I want to. Any suggestion?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 9:47pm On Dec 19, 2013
Illuminatus: I'm currently reading this textbook on Nigerian Legal Method by Abiola Sanni and I'm not grabbing it as good as I want to. Any suggestion?
what part of the textbook are u not grabbing. I can walk u thru but u have to be specific.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by bemagnify: 2:04am On Dec 20, 2013
Illuminatus: I'm currently reading this textbook on Nigerian Legal Method by Abiola Sanni and I'm not grabbing it as good as I want to. Any suggestion?
as ur questns and u get prompt respons in a plain language....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by bemagnify: 2:09am On Dec 20, 2013
hay y: Good morning,I was directed here,I'm a final year law student,I'm writing my project on oil and gas. Topic: Gas flaring and the nigerian environment :a case study of the niger delta,I have a problem,my supervisor told me to make it legal, rather than descriptive,I need opinion(s) on how to go about reframing it.Thanks in anticipation.
(Quote) (Report)
to make it legal means... Ur ansa shud b base on legal postulations.. i.e refferenc shud be made to d law expecialy case law,,
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 6:47am On Dec 20, 2013
bemagnify: as ur questns and u get prompt respons in a plain language....
gentlefada: what part of the textbook are u not grabbing. I can walk u thru but u have to be specific.
The second definition of Legal Method by the textbook is much too confusing. The first definition was short and I understood perfectly, "Legal Method can be defined as the attempt to explain the technique of thinking like a lawyer".
Secondly, why did the word "attempt" come in?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 8:30am On Dec 20, 2013
(Quote) (Report)
boss am still in part 2 (thanks to the strike) so my opinion on this might be a bit amateur. Nonetheless, i think what ur project supervisor is asking for is case law. you obviously have given good arguments but he wants u to show how those arguments relate to the legal world. So you have to give me cases decided on those arguments of yours.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 8:37am On Dec 20, 2013
Illuminatus:

The second definition of Legal Method by the textbook is much too confusing. The first definition was short and I understood perfectly, "Legal Method can be defined as the attempt to explain the technique of thinking like a lawyer".
Secondly, why did the word "attempt" come in?
If you have had enough law classes you would have been told many times that legal definations are impossible. That is, it is always very difficult to put a generally accepted definition to a concept of law because law is dynamic and definitions are based on personal opinion. That is why when there is a definition being made it is most times refered to as an 'attempt' since it can be later rebutted by another legal mind. And for the other, pls help me by posting it as i dont remember what the defination is.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:21am On Dec 20, 2013
gentlefada: If you have had enough law classes you would have been told many times that legal definations are impossible. That is, it is always very difficult to put a generally accepted definition to a concept of law because law is dynamic and definitions are based on personal opinion. That is why when there is a definition being made it is most times refered to as an 'attempt' since it can be later rebutted by another legal mind. And for the other, pls help me by posting it as i dont remember what the defination is.
I've not had any Law classes, thanks to the strike. But I've read somewhere where it's said that Law can't be defined in a general sense since it's so dynamic so it's defined in technical sense.
Anyway, thanks:-)
The second definition goes something like: Legal Method is the learning the use and construction of legal rules with the view of gaining insight on how they are planned and organised to achieve its objective in a society.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 12:33pm On Dec 20, 2013
Illuminatus:
I've not had any Law classes, thanks to the strike. But I've read somewhere where it's said that Law can't be defined in a general sense since it's so dynamic so it's defined in technical sense.
Anyway, thanks:-)
The second definition goes something like: Legal Method is the learning the use and construction of legal rules with the view of gaining insight on how they are planned and organised to achieve its objective in a society.
basically, what the definition talks about is the purpose of the course itself. Legal method is a course that exposes the mind of an aspiring lawyer who has little or no knowledge of the law or how it operates to the basic tools required for societal balance through the law. These tools include:
1) statutes i.e. books that contain statutory enactments e.g. the constitition
2) classification of law i.e. Different classes of law e.g private and public law.
3) judicial precedent (case law) i e. Decision made by judges etc.
Hope i have tried to ansher your question....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
gentlefada: ..........
3) judicial precedent (case law) i e. Decision made by judges etc.
Hope i have tried to ansher your question....
nice one
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Prinzoladimeji(m): 1:19pm On Dec 21, 2013
Name; Oladimeji Opeyemi
School; NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
Course; LLB
Level; Fresh Man
Hope to learn more from my indefatigable barristers in the house... Kudos 2 u Bosses
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 21, 2013
Prinzoladimeji: Name; Oladimeji Opeyemi
School; NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
Course; LLB
Level; Fresh Man
Hope to learn more from my indefatigable barristers in the house... Kudos 2 u Bosses
welcome sir, feel free to ask your questions. I guess you are not affected by the ASUU strike?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
Illuminatus: Where's everybody? I'm having problems keeping down the Theories of Law from this Jurisprudence textbook o!
Which theories do you have problems understanding?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Olril18(m): 8:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
name:olaoye ade ayodeji
school:Uniosun
course:law..
a fresher....
hoping to learn from the seniors here.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Prinzoladimeji(m): 8:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
Fentoluwa: welcome sir, feel free to ask your questions. I guess you are not affected by the ASUU strike?
yea boss... Never affected by ASUU... And thank God its called-off
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Prinzoladimeji(m): 2:15pm On Dec 24, 2013
I'm a student of the NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA studying Law, and i wish to transfer my course from the school to either UNILORIN, UNILAG or OAU.
My question is, how do I go about it and what are the procedures?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
Prinzoladimeji: I'm a student of the NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA studying Law, and i wish to transfer my course from the school to either UNILORIN, UNILAG or OAU.
My question is, how do I go about it and what are the procedures?
I'm not sure but I think you should contact your school's admin and the school you want to attend.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by readonenaire(m): 11:06am On Dec 26, 2013
Creative mind: I've been a bit busy all this while. May I bring this to memory once again:

THE BEAUTY OF LAW
Just as we find beauty in nature: in the dew that comes in the morning, in the sun that sets in the afternoon, in the moon that comes at night, in the stars that adorn the sky, in the rainbow that displays its colours, in the flower that blooms in the spring time, in the leaves that turn green in the raining season, in the soft and placid wave of the sea, in the fruits with their diverse shapes, colours and sweetness, in the cool and tender breeze that announces the impending birthof rain; just so we find the magnificence that cannot be qualified or quantified in law.

Everything that God created is beautiful. Everything that adds value to human’s existence is superb. Everything that tasks well is impressive; and so is every success in the quest of a noble progression. God created the earth with beautiful words, beautiful words with a tone of authority. Authority has its origin in the rule of law. With law today, we might not know what would happen tomorrow but we sure know those things that should happen.

The definition of law I lack the words to style, how it operates remains enigmatic; I only know there is noample and satisfactory definition of law.To me,law makes man the noblest of all animals; without law he is a wild beast.The beauty of law is the beauty of life; the beauty of life lies in how well we obey the law. The law may not make a man love me but it can keep him from lynching me. Law is one heartbeat that links all natures.

The beauty of music can only be loved through the ear. The beauty of art may never be appreciated by the blind. Wealth may deprive the common men of the beauty that lies in living in a palace. Every man cannot be anoffice-bearer. The science of medicine is imperfect without the law that regulates it, just as power without control leads to tyranny. The beauty of law affords every man one thing, so expensive that no amount of wealth can procure the least of it if not merited, so cheap that the most disadvantaged man on his death bed without a dime is abundantly entitled to it: justice.

It is always normal for me to sit in a lonely place and reflect on those evolving standards of decency which has breathed new life into the “unavoidable,cruel, barbaric and brutal punishment” which would have been the typicaljingle on the streets if not for this imperceptible saviour. The beauty of law unlike other sciences can be felt, seen, perceived and heard. So mild to exclude the children from its anger, knowing quite well they might have intended no damage. Oh! Law can be viewed as an African mother in this regard. I must not forget to say that it glowers with fury on delinquents and violators in every part of the world. The science of law is no magic. Yet, it does wonders. In science,one may need a microscope to clear hisuncertainty about onion having a cell but with law; even a sightless man can see justice being done. Be you so high, the law is above you, be you so low, the law would protect you.

One of the beauties lies in its substancefixed in morality: it is ethicallywrong to make a promise you would not be able to fulfill, this is what law polished to read “nemo dat quod non habet” meaning you cannot give what you do not have. Also, the law teaches us to give as you cannot sow naught and reap bounty. In other words, “quid pro quo,” give something for you to get one.As rational creatures, humans tends to be irrational in selectedoccasions such as when undertension, incitement or distress, these the science of medicine addresses by the use of drugs such as downing drugs but the law better addresses this, you need not be told what would become of you if eventually you slay a man who annoys you. Law comes to play both when men are rational and when they are not; even a contract with an insane man is binding in his articulate period.“Nemo tenetur ad impossible”, the law requires no man to achieve the impossible. Yet, even the rights of generations unborn are protected under the law.

The beauty of law includes its ability to live in perpetuity. Law is anchored to the past; it is very much thriving today and of course it would still live to witness the exposure of the verdict day. I’m convincedeven Angels are guided by laws. Law is the unsurpassed discipline on earth; I have nobit ofreservationthat it would sure be in heaven too. Like a magician, law foresaw the likely humiliationof leaving men to handle disputes in their own ways. Hence it is said that “nemo judex incasasua” (you can’t be a judge in your own case). Sex, status, colour or infirmity is not a bar to fair hearing in the sanctuary of justice for“audi alterem patem,” the law would hear both sides. The law is not applied blindly and falsely: a guilty act alone does not suffice to justify punishment for crime; a guilty intent must be established.The legal minds can enlighten you.

There is law in everything and everything revolves roundlaw. How did law find its way into Economics? The law of diminishing returns. Do you know about Faraday’s law of electrolysis in Physics? What about the laws of thermodynamics in Science? I predict no one is ignorant of the fact that our movement is predicated on the law of motion. The law of life itself is change. No field is self-sufficient without law, if you have your doubt; ask yourself why doctors, engineers, journalists, linguists, historians, writers and others patronize the court of law. A fault in law would categoricallyaffect all natures. Even the ordinary acts of falling trees are regulated by environmental law. Injustice somewhere is undeniably a threat to justice everywhere.

The beauty of law for those who know it comes into play every time we breathe. We become assured that tomorrow is bright; we see the rays of hope penetratingthrough our struggles to replenish it, we see the potential the world has to become another nirvana by our obedience to the law. Everybody can live without law but nobody can ever live prudently without it: justice, equality, freedom, liberty and human rights would be dishonoured with impunity; the essence of life is to live in peace barren of fear.If there were no law, the lives of common men would be used as a bet for dog’s contest. The master would throw his servant into the ocean delightedlylike a worthless coin for slumbering; the rich would set the houses of the lowly on fire for looking ugly and the big vehicles would hit the small ones knowingly to pave way.

I think I need to tell you these; you can enjoy the fruit of law without spending a dime. You need no noble predecessor to be received by the temple of justice. Your vocation or academic credentials are no requirements. The only cost you need make is to be vigilant since it is a time-honoured dictum in law that “equity favours the vigilant and not the indolent”.

The beauty of law is colossal; its essence is beyond every imagination. It is good to learn the law, it is better to know the law; the best is to live by the law. By doing these we are keeping the law and if we allow the law to guide us, it would surely guard us. An end to law might be an end to all.
this is ravishing

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Lagos School Principal Becomes A Student For One Day / Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms / Ademola Tayo, Babcock VC: Why We Expelled Sex Tape Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.