Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,580 members, 7,801,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44289 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 11:57pm On Sep 03, 2013
7 lovely logics

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 04, 2013
NAME~ADOGHE E.
Course~philosophy
institution~Eksu(though not yet fully admitted cos their admission list is not out yet on d skull website.saw my name on jamb website.......
Level~Still a learner.
please i want to know more abt d course cos i just choose it just cos ive stay for so long at home trying to pursue law so i just took a decision dis year to pick any less competative course at least for me to be in skull.
someone told me dat philosophers dont believe dat God exist(how true is dis please)i still have many questions to ask but let me stop for now.thanks
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 7:15am On Sep 04, 2013
Name: Tolulope
Course: Law
Institution: OAU, Ife.
Level. Freshman.

@excelboi.. Please unleash.... We've got full interest.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 9:55am On Sep 04, 2013
Sweetlipkiss:
someone told me dat philosophers dont believe dat God exist(how true is dis please)i still have many questions to ask but let me stop for now.thanks

Philosophy and the proof of God's existence
One of the most far-reaching consequences of the rationalism of the Enlightenment was the undermining of basic Christian faith among the educated classes. The effect was unintended because the project of many Enlightenment philosophers was to prove the existence of God using reason: Descartes and Leibniz assumed that God's existence could be rationally proved, indeed Godwas a necessary part of their philosophy.
There are many traditional"proofs" for the existence of God, and we will look at threeof them: The argument from design, the ontological argument and the cosmological argument.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 9:59am On Sep 04, 2013
There are many traditional"proofs" for the existence of God, and we will look at threeof them:

The argument from design, the ontological argument and the cosmological argument.

Traditional "proofs" of God's Existence

1) The argument from Design.
If you found a clock and examined the mechanism within it, you would probably think that this intricate mechanism was not the outcome of mere chance, that it had been designed.

Now look at the universe; is it possible that such an intricate mechanism, from the orbits of planets round thesun to the cells in your fingernails could all have happened by chance? Surely, this enormously complex mechanism has been designed, and the being that designed it must be God.

2) The ontological argument
God is the perfect being. As He is most perfect, He must have all perfections. If God lacked existence He would not be perfect, as He is perfect he must exist.

3) The cosmological argument (God as "First cause"wink
Everything that exists has a cause. However, there must at some time have been a cause prior to all other causes. This 'prime mover' or first cause is necessary to explain existence.This first cause is God.

Pascal's Wager
The French mathematician Blaise Pascal (1623-62) put forward an argument that would appeal to agnostics. (An agnostic is someone who believes that it is impossible to prove God's existence.)
His argument goes something like this: God either exists or he does not. If we believe in God and he exists, we will be rewarded with eternal bliss in heaven. If we believe in God and he does not exist then at worst all we have forgone is afew sinful pleasures.

If we do not believe in God and he does exist we may enjoy a few sinful pleasures, but we may face eternal damnation.If we do not believe in God andhe does not exist then our sins will not be punished.

Would any rational gambler think that the experience of a few sinful pleasures is worth the risk of eternal damnation?

Kant
Kant attempted to show how philosophy could prove the existence of God. Unfortunately, for him his previous work showed that we could not know reality directly as thing-in-itself. What is real in itself is beyond our experience. Even if God exists, we can not know God as he really is.
For Kant the Christian could have faith in God, and this faith would be consonant with reason and the categorical imperative. Given that human beings have the autonomy to create moral values, it would not be irrational to believe in a God who gives purpose to the moralrealm.

Hegel
Hegel thought that the God of religion was an intuition of Absolute Spirit or Geist. Hegel'sGeist is not like the transcendent (outside of our consciousness) God of traditional Christianity. For Hegel God is immanent and when we have understood thathistory is the process of Geist coming to know itself it appears that we are all part of Geist, or God.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 10:10am On Sep 04, 2013
PHILOSOPHICAL VIEW OF GOD

http://people.wku.edu/jan.garrett/philvws.htm

The most influential philosophers of the past were among the strongest believersin God'sexistence. Geniuses like Kant, Hegel, Descartes, Fichte, Leibniz, Rousseau, Kiekergaard, Maritain, Wittgenstein, Weil etc. had absolute certainty in God's existence, deep reverence for His creative powers, and a total acceptance of His sovereignty

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by damosky12(m): 10:18am On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: still ve it ooo, my plan is to switch to law, then if it work out so be it nd if it do nt then i would ve to go on with the PHIL. nd lata cum bk for LAW..
We have that in common. Thats d same issue here bro. Just that I have a different plan here..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 10:35am On Sep 04, 2013
damosky12:
We have that in common. Thats d same issue here bro. Just that I have a different plan here..
whao gud gist me abt your plan bro let me c if its gonna help me to....

So which Course do u want to switch from to LAW.?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 10:39am On Sep 04, 2013
@phil.Sweet are u satisfy with my research work via internet on your questn?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by damosky12(m): 11:07am On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: whao gud gist me abt your plan bro let me c if its gonna help me to....

So which Course do u want to switch from to LAW.?
Am into phil. Wanna switch to Law too.. U on 2go?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 11:32am On Sep 04, 2013
damosky12:
Am into phil. Wanna switch to Law too.. U on 2go?
yap i am.. Adexistic.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mmgboji(m): 12:25pm On Sep 04, 2013
Name:Mba
I Jst finished the bar final exams. Expecting call to bar by november. Pray i can be of any assistance to this thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 12:30pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mmgboji: Name:Mba
I Jst finished the bar final exams. Expecting call to bar by november. Pray i can be of any assistance to this thread.
ur assistance wud be very much needed sire.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 04, 2013
Following...thumbs up everyone,I'm a law aspirant,waiting for the Lists from UNILORIN and EKSU.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 12:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
koonbey: Following...thumbs up everyone,I'm a law aspirant,waiting for the Lists from UNILORIN and EKSU.
bt i hearld EKSU list is out on jamb site? Definately u must be 2nd choice applicant of EKSU then.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: bt i hearld EKSU list is out on jamb site? Definately u must be 2nd choice applicant of EKSU then.
Exactly,2nd Choice tiinz
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by engrtee(f): 12:44pm On Sep 04, 2013
are there philosophers in nigeria?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 12:47pm On Sep 04, 2013
engrtee: are there philosophers in nigeria?
yes of course,though they re nt that well known...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nice thread, but appears boring as a result of the many write ups by the op.

Name: Mark
Institution:Ambrose alli university
Level: 300

I think the study of law takes a lot of zeal. It isn't the most interesting course. Little wonder institutions spice it up regularly with moot challenges.

I leave here with perhaps the best definition of Law by my very own god, Oliver Wendell Holmes, a genius beyond measure who said "The prophesy of what the court will do and nothing more pretentious are what I mean by the law"

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 12:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
Donpuzo: Nice thread, but appears boring as a result of the many write ups by the op.

Name: Mark
Institution:Ambrose alli university
Level: 300

I think the study of law takes a lot of zeal. It isn't the most interesting course. Little wonder institutions spice it up regularly with moot challenges.

I leave here with perhaps the best definition of Law by my very own god, Oliver Wendell Holmes, a genius beyond measure who said "The prophesy of what the court will do and nothing more pretentious are what I mean by the law"
welcome my able barrister nd my apologies based on my boring write up, we really need more of u.... Thanks nd wlcm once again...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 04, 2013
Phoebe Ozy I.
Law
ABSU
Awaiting NLS.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mmgboji(m): 12:56pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: ur assistance wud be very much needed sire.
kk... Wish u guys all the best in ur quest for legal education. Law is a very demanding discipline but i bet u'll feel proud u did, at the end of it all. After my 1year stinch at the nigerian law school, enugu campus, i make bold to say that the only sane and meritorious institution existing in the whole of Nigeria, is the Nigerian Law School. But 1st, u need sheer hardwork and utmost dedication at the University level to get there. If u're still considering changing frm philosophy to Law, u're wasting time. As he rightly asked:
engrtee: are there philosophers in nigeria?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 1:01pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: yes of course,though they re nt that well known...

What jobs do philosophers they do after graduating?

Apart from teaching.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
Lawyers are indeed useful.

for great value on real estate and properties in Lekki,Victoria Island and Ikoyi axis visit
http://www.distributenaija..com/2013/09/updated-properties-for-august-2013-in.html to view our listings or send us a mail at distributeinc@gmail.com or call 08186148370

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fynestboi: My distinguish Lawyers/Philosopher let introduce ourselves

Fullname
Institution
Course..
Level...
Jerry, KSU, Law.. 200L (2nd sem.)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Adex097: 1:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
@fynestboi, I see your handwork bro.

Keep it up. smiley
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 1:10pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mmgboji: If u're still considering changing frm philosophy to Law, u're wasting time.
really? Bro pls expantiate more on this word of urs?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 1:12pm On Sep 04, 2013
Phiozy: Phoebe Ozy I.
Law
ABSU
Awaiting NLS.
awaiting NLS, what is NlS?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mmgboji: kk... Wish u guys all the best in ur quest for legal education. Law is a very demanding discipline but i bet u'll feel proud u did, at the end of it all. After my 1year stinch at the nigerian law school, enugu campus, i make bold to say that the only sane and meritorious institution existing in the whole of Nigeria, is the Nigerian Law School. But 1st, u need sheer hardwork and utmost dedication at the University level to get there. If u're still considering changing frm philosophy to Law, u're wasting time. As he rightly asked:
what will the course outline be in year 1 be like for Law?

I heard the only Law course in year 1 is PUL101.

Others like Lit, Eng, SSC, PHIL,.. are more or less of borrowed courses.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 1:18pm On Sep 04, 2013
NL member:

What jobs do philosophers they do after graduating?

Apart from teaching.
counsellors etc
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by samuelfemo(m): 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thats good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS / Hilarious School Name Spotted In My Neighborhood / Ademola Tayo, Babcock VC: Why We Expelled Sex Tape Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.