Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying (22044 Views)

Which Of Nigeria's Major Cultures/languages Will Die Out First? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Vikkie14: 12:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
Hmm. I think yoruba's do make use of their linguistic where they are(even those in diaspora) though they are sometimes annoying back at home, they prefer that FINTINFINTIN language than their own.
But the Igbo's should be more concerned with their language, don't you noticed they hardly stage a Igbo ish Home Video, if they haven't inserted English, they dont feel confident, same as the yoruba's. Most of Hausa's movie are in their dialect.
Atleast, they could speak in their dialect and then Subtitle the movie OR WHAT IS SUBTITLE FOR
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
List everywhere...

Still waiting for 901 ways to commit suicide.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by olayincar(m): 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
Hmm

Omo 'badan
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
True talk!
Indigenous languages are going down into extinction.

Not soon tho.
People might not speak but they understand and know it

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by mhyra(f): 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
I Don't fully understand my language.. and I wish my children would understand it like xoxo... how can that be possible.. please advice.. no ofiennce embarassed
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ilovenigeria(f): 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2014
As if Naija get language.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2014
Even seun( shugaban kassan nairaland) is not helping matters.

The teach yourself Hausa topic in culture section is supposed to be asterisked alongside other teach urself indigenous nigerian languages in the frontpage of that forum section.

angry

I strongly beg and appeal on behalf of all my other colleagues in the Hausa section...to be endorsed by his royal highness.grin

Cc. Paretomaster and snowprince007
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by shilees(f): 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2014
Some parents even wants their children to speak multiple languages but with the exception of our local languages, they would rather go for French,German,Spanish,Manderin etc.. It Is so sad.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Olufemiolaolu(m): 12:28pm On Dec 29, 2014
Yoruba isnt dying, its being spoken all over d world yoruba people re living. Its igbo dat is going into extinction. Y re d igbo not using their lang in movies production in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2014
shilees:
Some parents even wants their children to speak multiple languages but with the exception of our local languages, they would rather go for French,German,Spanish,Manderin etc.. It Is so sad.

Which parents? Ppl wey no sabi speak those languages go come leave their own they adopt others? Thats not true neither does it make sense.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by kendrick9(m): 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2014
will the languages put food on our table? no!

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by kennyjodeci(m): 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennygee:
9. We don't value our tribal names anymore.

Instead, we settle for Shantel, Andre, Mason, Cameron and Olivia.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have English names, but our native names should be first then English name should be Secondary or even Eliminated sef.

Kennygee? Wow! And I'm kennyjodeci.... How do we meet b4 31st 9t?

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
It no easy na to combine dad's dialect,mum dialect's and come top am with Tribal dialect. You see i give up on speaking my dad's dialect nd remain content on my english language as a matter of fact i gave up on Yoruba. When u look at a d negative effect of those dialect u will join my group; There is this beautiful Lady,so endowed then in our computer centre,she got addicted to dialect that she cannot say "How are you doing" without skipping like crack CD despite she schooled in a private school.

If there is need to speak my dialect i will do so but if talking to people i had use my english supplied with small high vocal.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2014
Mun gode Allah for the thought process that prompted this op to raise this issue and for the supermoderator that moved it to front page God bless u.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Vikkie14: 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2014
MillionDollars:
Its starts from u mr op, y nt type your topic nd post in ur native language??
grin if he was to type thw whole article in his language, do you think you would have responded to his post when you aint from his tribe and you aint able to assimilate his linguistic. So, we cant rule out English, we could just devised our own Language like the Pidgin English.

#TeamPidginEnglish
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 29, 2014
mhyra:
I Don't fully understand my language.. and I wish my children would understand it like xoxo... how can that be possible.. please advice.. no ofiennce embarassed
Its natural dey will understand but they may not be able to speak it like me.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Adiwana: 12:35pm On Dec 29, 2014
1 time my mom came to my schl,we were communicating in igbo&My class mate in sec.school who speaks igbo fluently came after she left&was like o boy you&your mumsy dey talk in igbo...i was like 'o boy,i be igbo&na it we dey speak for house'..he come talk say for their house na english&during my Primary schl,my job was to colect #5 wen anybody speaks igbo..you see,our parents&teachers encourage it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Adiwana: 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2014
Olufemiolaolu:
Yoruba isnt dying, its being spoken all over d world yoruba people re living. Its igbo dat is going into extinction. Y re d igbo not using their lang in movies production in Nigeria?
you are rite? Ave argued this..You have traditional movies&instead of speaking igbo,you hear English..so annoying

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by cap28: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2014
OP thanks for bringing up a discussion on this great topic.

This issue along with other issues was discussed by a Nigerian academic here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEs-fEQ_wn4

who concluded that African children are being educated to feel inferior to other races. Refusing to teach Africans in their native language is the major reason why African languages are dying.
According greater status to the language of your slave master than your own native language is a clear cut sign that you feel inferior to other races and majority of Nigerians believe that their native language is inferior to the language of their slave master.
Also African culture is dying courtesy of our media which continues to allow western culture to infiltrate and overtake our own culture. Many Nigerians worship anything that comes from the west and despise their own culture, if we do not reverse this situation our languages and culture will be dead by the next century.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Adiwana: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2014
I think nigerian musicians like phyno,morell,ola,flavour,reminsce,davido,wizzy even psquare etc are actually trying in that area..we need more of them
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by mhyra(f): 12:42pm On Dec 29, 2014
starlingleanets:
Its natural dey will understand but they may not be able to speak it like me.
Huh! Who you be.?? angry
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by KazukiIto(m): 12:44pm On Dec 29, 2014
donmalcolm21:
Nigerians view anybody that doesnt speak English as inferior, we blame Pej as if English should be a pre requisite for any communication. In my University days the best student wasnt able to express himself very well but he knew the right formular for every equation. Speaking our own language should be inculcated into our wards before we lost our future to western culture and language.

Which language are you using now hypocrite? Mtchewww!
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ibralhas(m): 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2014
A good and sound observation, so do u mean the issue of a lingual franca is d answer ?
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by KazukiIto(m): 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2014
cap28:
OP thanks for bringing up a discussion on this great topic.

This issue along with other issues was discussed by a Nigerian academic here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEs-fEQ_wn4

who concluded that African children are being educated to feel inferior to other races. Refusing to teach Africans in their native language is the major reason why African languages are dying.
According greater status to the language of your slave master than your own native language is a clear cut sign that you feel inferior to other races and majority of Nigerians believe that their native language is inferior to the language of their slave master.
Also African culture is dying courtesy of our media which continues to allow western culture to infiltrate and overtake our own culture. Many Nigerians worship anything that comes from the west and despise their own culture, if we do not reverse this situation our languages and culture will be dead by the next century.

That's because it is niqqah! Wole Soyinka didn't win a Nobel with pej. Our languages are inferior. Ur post is clearly written in English abi?

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 29, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Ka fadi gaskiya!

Duk abun da ka fadi da gaske ka ke!

Ki lo wi?

Ko to yen rara.

Je ka gbora ye.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by cap28: 12:49pm On Dec 29, 2014
shilees:

The indigenous people of those countries can not stand black people. So if those misguided Nigerian parents like they can continue setting up their children for rejection from those groups of people.

How many white people speak African languages, how many white people give their children African names?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by korexdodo(m): 12:49pm On Dec 29, 2014
It is good for nigerian languages to die, because language is the main cause of our problems as a nation.
True it is a heritage from our fathers, but it only butreses our differences as anation and tends to divide us and make us see each other as different from us.
It was the cause of the civil war,cos if Ironsi had been overthrown by another Ibo man their would have been no war,but being overthrown by the hausas, the Ibos saw them as different from themselves.
Lets copy the Americans, they are from all corners of the earth with different languages, but chose to speak only 1 language ,which is English.
Thats why Americans unit more than other countries in the world.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tiv Cultural Group Dazzle At The Lagos Street Carnival (photos) / 'God Is The King Of Kings'; Ooni Of Ife Joins Christians For Prayers. Photos / Photos From Idoma International Carnival 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.