Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,041 members, 7,807,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying (22041 Views)

Which Of Nigeria's Major Cultures/languages Will Die Out First? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 29, 2014
mhyra:
Huh! Who you be.?? angry
I be starlingleanets
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by KazukiIto(m): 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2014
Vikkie14:
grin if he was to type thw whole article in his language, do you think you would have responded to his post when you aint from his tribe and you aint able to assimilate his linguistic. So, we cant rule out English, we could just devised our own Language like the Pidgin English.

#TeamPidginEnglish

Bless you broda. Naija is multi-ethnic, if evry man nw wan do "culture", progress no go dey oh. So universal language must dey which is pidgin. I support ur movement abeg!
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by cap28: 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2014
KazukiIto:

That's because it is niqqah! Wole Soyinka didn't win a Nobel with pej. Our languages are inferior. Ur post is clearly written in English abi?

No, you are inferior because you look down on yourself, your culture and your language.

What is the big deal about the NObel prize, does it put food on your table?

How many white people read Wole Soyinka's books? Come to think of it how many Nigerians read and understand Wole Soyinka's books?

My post is written in English not because I love to speak the language but because I am a victim of colonialism.

If I had my way English language would be banned in Nigeria and I would overhaul the educational system so that the young ones coming up would start learning to develop pride in being African.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by mhyra(f): 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2014
starlingleanets:
I be starlingleanets
I can't fit bite my tongue because of your moniker undecided
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by holatin(m): 1:01pm On Dec 29, 2014
African with inferiority complex.

eku osan oooooo

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by cap28: 1:03pm On Dec 29, 2014
korexdodo:
It is good for nigerian languages to die, because language is the main cause of our problems as a nation.
True it is a heritage from our fathers, but it only butreses our differences as anation and tends to divide us and make us see each other as different from us.
It was the cause of the civil war,cos if Ironsi had been overthrown by another Ibo man their would have been no war,but being overthrown by the hausas, the Ibos saw them as different from themselves.
Lets copy the Americans, they are from all corners of the earth with different languages, but chose to speak only 1 language ,which is English.
Thats why Americans unit more than other countries in the world.

Language is what gives people their identity without a common language you have no sense of cultural identity or oneness. I'm not going to bother responding to what you said about Ironsi because it is pure trash but your comments about the US are a complete joke.

Are you aware of how the US came into existence? Are you aware of the fact that the American settlers are originally from England? Are you aware that they (the settlers) fought a bitter war of independence with their former colonial masters the british? Are you aware that the settlers in the north then went on to fight a civil war with the settlers in the south ?

Do your research before posting.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by KazukiIto(m): 1:04pm On Dec 29, 2014
korexdodo:
It is good for nigerian languages to die, because language is the main cause of our problems as a nation.
True it is a heritage from our fathers, but it only butreses our differences as anation and tends to divide us and make us see each other as different from us.
It was the cause of the civil war,cos if Ironsi had been overthrown by another Ibo man their would have been no war,but being overthrown by the hausas, the Ibos saw them as different from themselves.
Lets copy the Americans, they are from all corners of the earth with different languages, but chose to speak only 1 language ,which is English.

Word!

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by KazukiIto(m): 1:08pm On Dec 29, 2014
Truth is, if evry one goes back to his/her root, then there will be no progress. If it's the sacrifice for peace, prosperity and development, then heck! so be it. Wetin be de big deal about all dis language gibberish sef? Instead of discussing language rubbish, lets talk about important things, like communication.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by AreaFada2: 1:11pm On Dec 29, 2014
GIYAZZ:

2.Some parents ban their children from using their
mother tongue at home even though both parents
speak the same language.

This is the worst, parents should STOP doing this! It's very harmful.

Na wa o, ban native language at home? shocked

That na madness na.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:16pm On Dec 29, 2014
[size=18pt]You forgot another reason. The eating up of minority indigenous languages by the bigger languages. This trend is seen especially in the North where Hausa proper destroys other local languages. Note: these are languages I am talking about and not dialects!.

Another reason: intermarriage between unrelated tribe members especially North-South can destroy languages over a long term period. Children switch to english/pidgin.[/size]
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by AreaFada2: 1:17pm On Dec 29, 2014
KazukiIto:
Truth is, if evry one goes back to his/her root, then there will be no progress. If it's the sacrifice for peace, prosperity and development, then heck! so be it. Wetin be de big deal about all dis language gibberish sef? Instead of discussing language rubbish, lets talk about important things, like communication.

There is no country in the world that totally gave up it's culture and language has reached great developmental heights sustainably.

Name just one if you can.

I have lived in many countries. While use of English enables better communication with the wider world, the basic stuff of education and culture are instilled in native language.

In a top UK university, engineering students oo German for Engineering, because of German engineering prowess and contribution to engineering. And that's just good enough.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 29, 2014
mhyra:
I can't fit bite my tongue because of your moniker undecided
This how its pronounced Starling leanets.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by GodMode: 1:20pm On Dec 29, 2014
korexdodo:

Ori e ti fo.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by kelechiMarie(f): 1:21pm On Dec 29, 2014
Nigeria has too many languages jare,in my opinion teaching a child his/her language should be the parents' responsibility.If we decide to use indigenous languages which would we go for?or are we advocating for everyone to go back to their state of origin?
Bottom line;parents teach your kids their language and forget all this british accent wahala

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
kingphemy:

Ki lo wi?

Ko to yen rara.

Je ka gbora ye.

Inna ruwan ka a maggana na!

San willo maka marè
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by delishpot: 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
I do not blame schools for this problem, I have seen kids with interacial parents peaking the language of both parents.
If naiaja schools should use dialect to teach, how will an Igbo child understand? How will the edo child explain to the yoruba child? I think english language unites us( unless we decide to pick one main language out of our more than 300 languages but then that will bring wahala)
Parents should teach their kids the mother tongue, society cam also influence the child but lets leave schools out of this.
Cos schools cant teach each and every child his dialect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
GodMode:

Ori e ti fo.

Za ka chi uwar ka!
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by GodMode: 1:27pm On Dec 29, 2014
kelechiMarie:
Nigeria has too many languages jare,in my opinion teaching a child his/her language should be the parents' responsibility.If we decide to use indigenous languages which would we go for?or are we advocating for everyone to go back to their state of origin?
Bottom line;parents teach your kids their language and forget all this british accent wahala

If regions had relied on their native languages Nigeria would have been much better cos there would be no Nigeria.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2014
cap28:

No, you are inferior because you look down on yourself, your culture and your language.

What is the big deal about the NObel prize, does it put food on your table?

How many white people read Wole Soyinka's books? Come to think of it how many Nigerians read and understand Wole Soyinka's books?

My post is written in English not because I love to speak the language but because I am a victim of colonialism.

If I had my way English language would be banned in Nigeria and I would overhaul the educational system so that the young ones coming up would start learning to develop pride in being African.

It puts oh! 7 million dollars worth of food
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by GodMode: 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Za ka chi uwar ka!

Lafiya

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2014
GodMode:

Lafiya

grin
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by reaky(m): 1:52pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennygee:
9. We don't value our tribal names anymore.

Instead, we settle for Shantel, Andre, Mason, Cameron and Olivia.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have English names, but our native names should be first then English name should be Secondary or even Eliminated sef.

Seconded
It tells where your from
My tribal name has helped me know
People from my tribe that I never knew
I would love to go further with screen shots
Of me and one popular celebrity tweets with my dialect
She told me she followed me back on twitter because of d name and we have been tweeting with our language till date.

Please people try hard to make use of your tribal language and names it helps
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Hoshea: 2:07pm On Dec 29, 2014
Meanwhile swahili is spreading

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by tziz(m): 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2014
reaky:

Seconded
It tells where your from
My tribal name has helped me know
People from my tribe that I never knew
I would love to go further with screen shots
Of me and one popular celebrity tweets with my dialect
She told me she followed me back on twitter because of d name and we have been tweeting with our language till date.
Please people try hard to make use of your tribal language and names it helps
Ok nice, lets start frm u, "Reaky"; wat tribe is that name from?
Or are you telling me its "Oghenereaky"? grin grin
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by koyyess: 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2014
I can already sense some tribalistic tones in the comments of people who are supporting the op. Unless you are suggesting that nigeria divides and every one should go back to their state of origin. Your observation remains nothing but just an observation. Most of you can't even live in your own village for a month. Why?- if your language is the only thing spoken there, why is it still a village in this 21st century?
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Gboskee(m): 2:22pm On Dec 29, 2014
Cybermugu1:
Yea, other languages might die… but yoruba will neva die. my pman no dey speak english for house.
chai chai chai deris GOD oo!!
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Gboskee(m): 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
GodMode:

Lafiya
ya haaka?? Meh ya faru dai
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by reaky(m): 2:33pm On Dec 29, 2014
tziz:

Ok nice, lets start frm u, "Reaky"; wat tribe is that name from?
Or are you telling me its "Oghenereaky"? grin grin

Hahaha not oghenereaky oo
D name is rekpene
D tribe is bahumono
Abi LGA cross river state
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by musicwriter(m): 2:46pm On Dec 29, 2014
AnodaIT:

It beats my imagination why government show allow British Curriculum that negates all we took for as an African society.
School stand proud to say they are offering British Curriculum not Nigerian Curriculum.
The result is children coming back from school looking like total strangers to their community especially if if coming back from school means getting locked up in a fenced compound.

Nice observation!.

Two years ago I researched your comment and I wrote a comprehensive report about the dangers of westernization of education in Africa. With the way things are going, if something is not done to create our own African identity and system of education which Dr. Kwame Nkrumah was calling for before he was ousted by western backed coup, Africa will be re-colonized in the next 100 years. History will repeat itself!. This's real and existing danger, and it's already achieved technologically. Giving priority to English, French, Spanish, Portuguise, in African schools is not in the interest of Africa.

See my signature for details.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 29, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Za ka chi uwar ka!

Ma je furo iyalaya re..... oloriburku oloshi
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by SkinnyDude(m): 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
Adewunmi84:
A
for Apple
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ajibel(m): 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Ka fadi gaskiya!

Duk abun da ka fadi da gaske ka ke!

Nairaland doesnt have a translation Engine sad English always over vernacular!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tiv Cultural Group Dazzle At The Lagos Street Carnival (photos) / 'God Is The King Of Kings'; Ooni Of Ife Joins Christians For Prayers. Photos / Photos From Idoma International Carnival 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.