Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (119841 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Chibuhealth(f): 6:59am On Sep 10, 2013
p.josh:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.
they gave my sis computer education to study but she said that she prefferd computer sci. Please advice!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hotwax: 7:12am On Sep 10, 2013
boyroy02:

My point is i don't have to have a flair for mechanical Eng but wit my cert i can still get a good Job anywhere, while for computers i. Don't need to have a cert 4 it but can still prove my self anywere dat requires d services of a comp scienctist dat i am up to d task. Road side mechanics can't carry a good conversations on mechnics or how an engine works correctly, dey even barely knw d correct names of d parts of an Engine, i can explain how an Engine works nd name parts etc cause am studing it, but i don't need to srudy computer science to be able to explain how a computer works or programmes work in it.

You can prove yourself when anybody needs a programmer to pay 5,000 naira to write a website.

But no company will employ you when a need a computer scientist. Have you see a company employing a SSCE computer scientist?
They all say minimum of first degree.

I can call on a road side mechanic to repair my car. But when Shell/Chevron want to employ mechanical engineer, they wont go and call the road side mechanic, they will call a corporate/educated mechanic (a degree holder).

Computer science is more than programming. Programming is just an aspect. They can't call a road side web designer to manage a company IT department. That requires education.

You people are missing the point. There is a difference between education and skill. My brother knows how to prescribe drugs, but he didnt study medcine, he was just an apprentice of one nursing center.

8 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nov1ce(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2013
@OP: Frankly am tired of people asking these sort of questions here!
I studied a course in the same department with Computer Sci. and even with us doing some joint courses like (Operating Systems, Data Structures and Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence and the likes..) I can tell you for a fact that there's a HUGE difference.
Do you think proper global companies like Google and the likes employ code writers, I worked in a Nigerian company that employs some people just to TEST applications written by developers. From a one on one convo with a Google developer in UK, I can tell you that coding is the least of their concerns during interviews, any person can write effective but inefficient lines of code that would work for a while and then crash your server!
Programming is just one of the 8 - 12 courses you do per semester, so do you think they are playing in all those other courses
Computer Sci. has a serious theoritical foundation that's essential if you really want to tour that line.
Guy!!! your uncle is not qualified to give your that advice. Even I was given the same advice when I wanted to get into uni, but I'm done now and have no regrets at all!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hotwax: 7:40am On Sep 10, 2013
p.josh:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
Don't knw if u understand what i am sayng?

Only an illiterate will call a web developer a computer scientist. Computer science is not about website design. Are you telling me knowing how to use microsoft word makes you a computer scientist?

We still have many computer illiterates in Nigeria. Its funny people don't know about computer science.

Courses in Computer includes.

Expert System/Artificial Intelligence
Telecommunication
SOftware Engineering
Robotics/Human Computer Interface
Computer Electronics
Database Management
Programming
IT management
Network security
Parallel Processing
Modelling and Simulation.

I am 90% sure that most Nigerian graduates don't pass through many of these courses in the university. Now somebody is saying you dont need university education.

Computer Science is the widest field on earth. Computer science is not a course per say. It should be a faculty on its own.

In summary, being a web developer doesnt mean you are a programmer, being a programmer doesnt make you a computer scientist.

Webdevelopment is an aspect of application programming. Programming itself is too wide. If you know what programming is, you will ashamed of calling yourself a programmer because you will later found out you are a user.

This is scenario.

You are a webdeveloper. You use VB.NET.

VB.NET is invented by a programmer and is compilled by a compiler (an engine in Visual Studio).
The compiler itself was written by programmer using VB6 and C++
A programmer also developed VB6 using Pascal and C++
A Programmer also developed pascal using C-lang
A programmer also created C-lang using Assemble Language
A programmer also created Assemble Language using Machine Language
Somebody invented zero's and one.

At the end of the day, the web developer doesnt know anything about what he is using. He is just an end user.

That is why we have america/oyinbos as world power and we are still slaves because we all want to develop website and not going into computer science

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by loswhite(m): 8:29am On Sep 10, 2013
p.josh:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
you are very narrow in the way u reason.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Jay5000(m): 8:42am On Sep 10, 2013
Google 1000 random IT job adverts in developed countries and you'll be surprised to see that not a single one requires you to have a university degree. However, university degrees are important in 9ja for just about anything you want to do. Banks require that their security men at least have an OND. Even int'l companies here, on arrival quickly learn to demand for degrees (mainly as a crowd control measure). So it's very important that you get a degree if you plan on working in 9ja. If not, i don't think you'll ever need it in the West, unless you want to teach.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 8:51am On Sep 10, 2013
Idongesit619: Ur uncle committed the fallacy of Argumentum Ad Verecundiam=appeal to unqualified authority.
Go for ur dream course,don't let ur uncle to confuse u!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by babydioku(f): 9:13am On Sep 10, 2013
What a dumbass.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Herosenior(m): 9:14am On Sep 10, 2013
I thought it ws a question on ur part but since its was a concclussion even advice! U And ur r pure illitrates...so programing is d only thing u do in computer sci. And u had no idea of further advanced prgramming u will do to be a profession dt. Wount b allowed expect U r a graduate In ds field.u r eating In d table ignorant
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nicepoker(m): 9:36am On Sep 10, 2013
I dont nid comp sc. I operate my lappy alone without the certificate. Just kidding.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 9:37am On Sep 10, 2013
AhWetin:

Just pause there. There are some things that will NEVER be learnt in university. Personal development comes into play even if you go to the best universities in the world. I have phD friends who have never seen the inside of a "desktop" computer here in uk neither do they know how to format a computer and they are very vast in other software related things. Don't lay undue emphasis on one thing as a true picture of the whole. A graduate of electrical engineering from MIT WILL NOT be able to wire a 3 bedroom apartment. Ask me why? Stuffs like that are not usually taught in University. I learnt it personally by attaching myself to an electrician family friend. So get out of the mind-set of "he/she can't do this simple thing". University/ high education will point you in a direction, it is left for you to find the end of it. In retrospect the starting point of programming should be fortran,basic or python, that's the best place to grow a baby from a toddler to a walking child... and remember not every child will eventually become a gymnast.

I used to think that studying computer science was a waste of time till I got abroad (I actually switched from comp sci to elect in my 2nd year in uni). With my years of programming/design etc, I discovered that there was more to computer science than just churning out codes. There are many things in the field you CAN NOT LEARN on your own correctly. Algorithms, Data Structures, Operations Research and Modelling, Concepts of Concurrency, Artificial Intelligence to mention just a few. I recently took part in the Google code jam and it was then I knew that some problems required some other concepts I won't find in programming books or by packing a few certifications. The kind of coursework I see undergraduates do here is what most people do as FINAL year project in Nigeria.

Autolord: The best web developer in Nigeria without a computer science degree cannot build a web app like netflix that recommends movies to its users using a powerfull recommender system(machine learning) technique, he cannot build an app to encrypt and decrypt codes and messages transferred through the internet, he cannot work with cloud services such as amazon aws because he doesn't even understand what it is, he knows noting about software engineering used by facebook,google and most multi-billion dollar web companies, he knows noting about scaling, he knows noting about data analysis used to predict disasters and many more stuffz. Computer science is not about using php and dreamweaver to develop a "website" there is much more involved that's why facebook, google, netflix, microsoft, jumia, irokotv employ computer scientists some even require a phd in computer science and not mere website designers. I'm just referring to your website stuff
Some of the best posts so far. You just spoke mind.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Handel22(m): 10:02am On Sep 10, 2013
rexspect: Computer science in the university is not all about programming languages alone. It involves System Analysis, Networking, DBMS, computer ethics and professionalism, System verification and validation, etc. All these you will not learn in your so called NIIT or afrihub. If really you know what you learnt from the university then you should know that there is big difference between learning Computer science in the university than outside the wall of the university.
gbam! U just said my mind.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pammusphy(m): 10:15am On Sep 10, 2013
This is the problem with people;

People graduate to become job seekers not job creators.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by christiscomin: 10:32am On Sep 10, 2013
I have nothing to gain from you. However to be sincere with you, go and study something else... I perfectly agree with your uncle. The best System Analyis and Programmer i have seen are not coputer scientist. Infact most banks have the best programmer those who study Mathematic, Statistics, Electrical electronic Engineering. I bet it with you, what you learn in Nigeria University as a computer scientist in 4years, a certificate holder of Xarox, LearnIT, APTECH etc will learn in 2years. ........................ If that is your passion go learn it and do Electrical electronics, Building Technology, Mechanical becasue they will rule the Engineering world to tomorrow.
BECAREFUL..... "sometimes people get to the top of the ladder only to findout the ladder is on the wrong wall"
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by dsypha(m): 10:32am On Sep 10, 2013
Herosenior: I thought it ws a question on ur part but since its was a concclussion even advice! U And ur r pure illitrates...so programing is d only thing u do in computer sci. And u had no idea of further advanced prgramming u will do to be a profession dt. Wount b allowed expect U r a graduate In ds field.u r eating In d table ignorant

Gosh, why did dis topic make front page,must u insult? na wa 4 u oo
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Osax2rule: 10:36am On Sep 10, 2013
CODE-EATER:
No b by to answer comp. Sci student o...MST of all yee science students don't really know sci well..

Some manage to cross ssce level through miracle center,and bribe their way to d uni...so wen I c some one say "I am studying comp. Sci" I look at dem as one of doz dudes,except I c d stuff u r made of....me I never read sciences in school, I was a true art student,but my intrest and ambition in life has made me understand dat m going no where with out some knowledge in physics n a Wii bit of further maths,it was too late to turn back ,so ihad my mum hire a personal home physics teacher for me...Cuz m determined to prove people like u wrong on d thought dat non science students cnt do sciences weather in or out of school..so don't come preaching to me abt DBMS n crap like dat, cuz in my line of duty dey r nt needed... I know web developers and programmers who Neva studied computer sci or even got out of high school, but dey r good at wat dey do..and I know so called computer science students who can't evn state d Newton's laws of motion dat even me wey Neva enter science class once can recite like poem..ntchewww

I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY IT...SOME FEILDS IN COMPUER SCIENCE OR I.T IN GENERAL DONT NEED U TO BE A COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT...
Thank God you said 'some fields'
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by dsypha(m): 10:50am On Sep 10, 2013
christ is comin: I have nothing to gain from you. However to be sincere with you, go and study something else... I perfectly agree with your uncle. The best System Analyis and Programmer i have seen are not coputer scientist. Infact most banks have the best programmer those who study Mathematic, Statistics, Electrical electronic Engineering. I bet it with you, what you learn in Nigeria University as a computer scientist in 4years, a certificate holder of Xarox, LearnIT, APTECH etc will learn in 2years. ........................ If that is your passion go learn it and do Electrical electronics, Building Technology, Mechanical becasue they will rule the Engineering world to tomorrow.
BECAREFUL..... "sometimes people get to the top of the ladder only to findout the ladder is on the wrong wall"

wen did u bcom a sooth-sayer?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 10:59am On Sep 10, 2013
abeg abeg, no insult pjosh again make in no die of cyber bullying.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Ajibel(m): 12:01pm On Sep 10, 2013
I just dont understand why people can't advice without throwing insalts. U dey insalt person wey fit employ u na tomorrow #smh

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Deage(m): 12:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
The problem most people have is motivational stories like that of Bill Gates.
Abeg go to skul and leave time wasters. We all have different paths.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Crisnite(m): 12:49pm On Sep 10, 2013
p.josh:
because evrybdy refers to a spoon as as shovel does dt make d spoon a shovel? Jst because ur bb Q10 can ping my bb curve 2 n vice versa does dt mean dt dey r on same level?
You dnt hv to answer, its jst rhetorics.
Long Live NACOSS!!!
Long Live all programmers!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by sultanemerald(m): 1:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
[quote author=kodewrita] Without contesting the evident merit of what you posted, I just want to state that the degrees are only irrelevant if you do not use them for what they were originally designed for.

In its true sense, computer science was never aimed at producing super coders who bang out facebook-level apps with one hand while assembling a robot with the other hand.

A typical computer scientist( in the real sense) would be busy trying to create the next level of compression algorithms to speed up the internet or creating better languages to better make use of multicore processors or trying to find out how to ensure data consistency in an environment with multiple database clusters and other such whatnot.

It requires some mathematical thinking and mostly logical thinking with a dose of domain knowledge.

That's why schools in the US try to create majors focused on creating software engineers.

That said, I believe we have piled on p.josh and I really do not like the insults being levelled at his uncle or his person(this is assuming p.josh is a dude). Lets contribute without insulting him.

For the undergrads who detest the maths aspect of computer science, please know that maths, comp sci and elect are deeply interconnected. You can never achieve true understanding without knowing the first principles on which your field is based.

Ask any physics grad and they will tell you of the need to always identify and master the fundamental laws/principles before going on to study phenomena(be they natural or manmade like computers).

You want to jump on to Cisco networking, OSPF etc and you refuse to learn the Shortest Path First and other path finding algorithms who derive their existence to the Graph Theory maths that you detest.

I could go on and on about the beauty of algorithms including encryption algorithms, packet sharing algorithms, fuzzy logic etc. Its heady stuff and if you already love logic, you can fall in love with them easily.

Finally, I want to flip to the other side and say that university knowledge is a refinement of generally held knowledge too. As such, it is possible to actually engage in a period of self study and still achieve the same level of knowledge gained by attending a university. Don't argue that with me, just google AUTODIDACTISM. There are lots and lots of articles on it.

P.Josh. If however you have other interests, I would advice doing either a combined major of computer science and another course (e.g Economics which you will find supremely useful or Maths). The other option is to study another course but gain practical IT skills by taking A+(practical IT maintenance skills), Java/Python/.net( programming), MySQL/oracle(DBMS), Net+/CCNA( Networking) to make you a versatile individual.

All the best and God's guidance on your choice of career.

i like your mind.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by sultanemerald(m): 1:17pm On Sep 10, 2013
y'all arguing on here, IT isnt computer science, please. in IT, you cant even get a phd because there are significant limitations. universities have found out some folks are interested in learning how to write softwares and manage databases, so, in a school like Unilag, you can go for a masters in Info tech. but you cant advance to do a phd. like some peeps pointed out, most "programmers" without fundamental knowledge of how the computer works cant even write simple compiler argument. and lots more. so, please, computer science isnt about mysql, html and python.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by MitchDLeo(m): 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2013
No offence but i can learn this on my own through the Internet (Just Google It).
guente02: I'm not in the uni yet but before I entered the polytechnic (now in my ND II) i knew nothing. Today im writing my project on Expert System (Pretty Hard Huh?). The polytechnic teaches you technical stuffs like System Analysis, System Troubleshooting (Software and Hardware), Network Installation and Diagnosis and others. This is what those places you mentioned cant really expose you to. Computer science isn't all about coding (use to hate the word). So my guy if no be computer science e nor fit be like computer science. 1 cent

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by seye15627(m): 1:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
ikp4succes: if u study computer science in Nigeria is more difficult to learn becos of the school conditions, u need computer lab first of all. The lecturer needs to be up to date. This are like the two basic things. Second of all there suppose to be this kind of mindset of trying out new stuff among the computer science student body. Whereby they go out on competitions with other schools or like a center where computer science students just come together and discuss about new stuff in Computer science. Am currently in my fourth Year computer science in yankee. It was kind of difficult competing with these guys here becos most of them were already programming since high school. i did my high school in Nigeria and i never used Microsoft word to type an essay in high school in Nigeria. I learnt C# and html on my own before i travelled to yankee it really helped me a lot. Over here the class is full of Asians and Europeans and Americans wizards. I thank God i was able to reach my fourth year. So far i know how to develop android apps thanks to knowledge in Java, i knw C#, html,Jquery, xml, sql, nql, python. e.t.c

this is my current android app am developing download below give me updates whether bad or good review ..thanks

http://wl.filegenie.com/~ikp4success/Scrabble%20Cheat.apk

other of my apps are here below

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsslang

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/20399323/

What i will advice is that you should try and get a degree in computer science even though its a naija university. You don't know where it will take you and at the same time learn the new stuff on ur own. Or during the holidays register for lessons. Computer science is very broad and b4 u reach 2nd year u suppose to knw what u good at. Start focusing on the area u good at develop ur skills and if u, can publish ur work, becos it will help in finding work. It will be like a proof that u knw what u doing with ur Bachelors backing you.

I hope that helps, good luck. wink
Convinced, thank you my broda
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Kirusky4life(f): 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2013
p.josh:
If u av nt being to a university or polytechnic to study computer science, u wl neva knw wat it means to b a computer scientist. there is a big diff btw computer scientist and information Technologist. wen u talk abt coding and web developer, ur just talking abt information technology. Every computer scientist is an information technologist but information technologist can neva be a computer scientist. quote me anywhere,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by wisemania(m): 3:04am On Sep 11, 2013
dsypha:

wen did u bcom a sooth-sayer?
mayb hez gat some anointin u kw
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pweetymama(f): 6:10am On Sep 11, 2013
CODE-EATER:
No b by to answer comp. Sci student o...MST of all yee science students don't really know sci well..

Some manage to cross ssce level through miracle center,and bribe their way to d uni...so wen I c some one say "I am studying comp. Sci" I look at dem as one of doz dudes,except I c d stuff u r made of....me I never read sciences in school, I was a true art student,but my intrest and ambition in life has made me understand dat m going no where with out some knowledge in physics n a Wii bit of further maths,it was too late to turn back ,so ihad my mum hire a personal home physics teacher for me...Cuz m determined to prove people like u wrong on d thought dat non science students cnt do sciences weather in or out of school..so don't come preaching to me abt DBMS n crap like dat, cuz in my line of duty dey r nt needed... I know web developers and programmers who Neva studied computer sci or even got out of high school, but dey r good at wat dey do..and I know so called computer science students who can't evn state d Newton's laws of motion dat even me wey Neva enter science class once can recite like poem..ntchewww

I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY IT...SOME FEILDS IN COMPUER SCIENCE OR I.T IN GENERAL DONT NEED U TO BE A COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT...
truly,d universities does not expose u to so many programming languages.u rarely even have access to d computer room to learn it urself.but my dear,dis is 9ja.i get am 4 roadside no be same tin as i get am 4 university.without that sch cert,ur discharge cert showing that u r a graduate of cs dept,u can only be tagged 'an IT person' and not 'a computer scientist'.
Secondly,u said smtin about u going nowhere without physics and further maths and trying to prove pple wrong.Listen,wateva knowledge u acquire is for urself.u r nt doing anyone a favour.i have neva been to an art class b4 but i wrote waec for an art student and had smashing grades.if u feel u can do it,go ahead nd dnt come here to brag to us.Afterall,even pple without d least knowledge of accounts are smashing ICAN,so wat is physics(where once u know d formula nd apply it,u get ur answer)
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pweetymama(f): 6:35am On Sep 11, 2013
sultanemerald: y'all arguing on here, IT isnt computer science, please. in IT, you cant even get a phd because there are significant limitations. universities have found out some folks are interested in learning how to write softwares and manage databases, so, in a school like Unilag, you can go for a masters in Info tech. but you cant advance to do a phd. like some peeps pointed out, most "programmers" without fundamental knowledge of how the computer works cant even write simple compiler argument. and lots more. so, please, computer science isnt about mysql, html and python.
thats true.when i was doing my masters in info tech,i went to see my HOD in sch and he was angry with me.Cos my intention is to be a lecturer in d computer science dept after that.he made me understand that i can neva be a lecturer in d comp sci dept with a masters in info tech as comp sci supercedes info tech.i was really shocked.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 11, 2013
[b]I Know of a friend(we call him Codedman), his parents didnt have enough resource to send him to a uni. He borrowed money from his friends and some from the parents of his friends that are rich. This dude bought himself a laptop, an external hard drive subscribed to internet for like 6months straight and started downloading ebooks and videos. His main source was torrent bay, code academy, the new boston, lynda and some other websites. He read everything he could and whenever you see him, he was always working on a small project. He studied HTML, CSS, PHP, JQUERY, PYTHON and some CMS Frameworks and truth is, He Turned a Badas* Programmer.. He is 23years old currently but he works on contract basis for three banks of which one is based in Ghana. He earns around 800k per month and thats because he works from home and just visits his workplace whenever they need his presence. He told me that he never regretted his decision about not making it to a uni..

Lemme tell Y'all, You cant secure any IT job if you cant program, Unless you want to be an Accountant in an ICT firm.. grin...

Most of my friends that did Computer science cant even format an OS, The girls in the department can only browse facebook or nairaland with their computers. I guess Studying The course needs a more hands-on approach rather than write-on-the-board-and-go-home-and-cram technique lecturers in our Universities do..

My 2cents though..[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by jigawatts(m): 8:40am On Sep 11, 2013
rexspect: Computer science in the university is not all about programming languages alone. It involves System Analysis, Networking, DBMS, computer ethics and professionalism, System verification and validation, etc. All these you will not learn in your so called NIIT or afrihub. If really you know what you learnt from the university then you should know that there is big difference between learning Computer science in the university than outside the wall of the university.

GOD BLESS YOU

Seeing ur comment makes me proud to be a COMPUTER SCIENCE graduate. kiss smiley

you answered him quite well

In 100L, we did a topic: "Difference between Computer Science and Information Technology"

IF you understand this topic well enuff, you will see and know the major advantages of studying COMPUTER SCIENCE.

Because you know a few codes or software doesnt make you a Computer Scientist.

The Managerial aspect of IT generally is automatically embedded in Computer Science which you cannot get from NIIT, APTECH or wherever.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.