Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (119754 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.

14 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by toideve(m): 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2013
Trash!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2013
Trasher than trash.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
@OP..

You made a lotta sense.. 4 yrs in school doing comp sci is just a waste of time.. If u are into ICT for real, University won't make u a better man as long as naija is concerned.. U can't get any IT job if u follow what they do in naija uni's.. Teaching u pascal and fortran is just trash..

If u need a cert, Reg in NIIT or Afrihub just for the cert sake buh just build urself and do ur thing.. Videos and ebooks abound online.. With ur lappy, u can move mountains..

That's the plain truth..

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 6:58pm On Sep 05, 2013
M going into school soon and I ain't studying com sci..but I can tell u here n nw dat sum programming languages DONT NEED KNOWLEDGE IN SCIENCE... It just needs ur brain n ability to comprehend... U can do without comp.sci

7 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by rexspect: 7:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
Computer science in the university is not all about programming languages alone. It involves System Analysis, Networking, DBMS, computer ethics and professionalism, System verification and validation, etc. All these you will not learn in your so called NIIT or afrihub. If really you know what you learnt from the university then you should know that there is big difference between learning Computer science in the university than outside the wall of the university.

141 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Javanian: 12:15am On Sep 06, 2013
Of course we don't expect those that studied/are studying computer science to agree tongue

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by guente02(m): 1:15am On Sep 06, 2013
I'm not in the uni yet but before I entered the polytechnic (now in my ND II) i knew nothing. Today im writing my project on Expert System (Pretty Hard Huh?). The polytechnic teaches you technical stuffs like System Analysis, System Troubleshooting (Software and Hardware), Network Installation and Diagnosis and others. This is what those places you mentioned cant really expose you to. Computer science isn't all about coding (use to hate the word). So my guy if no be computer science e nor fit be like computer science. 1 cent

41 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by dellnet: 1:18am On Sep 06, 2013
Hmm the work on your own part; I hope not in Nigeria coz if it ain't government its shitty which the government will not employ you unless you have a certificate and corporates need it too unless its owned by your uncle then he can give you Head I.T. and you oversee the government contracts he gets from his political friends. Sorry just the Nigerian way of doing shit.

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 5:18am On Sep 06, 2013
Djangocode: @OP..

You made a lotta sense.. 4 yrs in school doing comp sci is just a waste of time.. If u are into ICT for real, University won't make u a better man as long as naija is concerned.. U can't get any IT job if u follow what they do in naija uni's.. Teaching u pascal and fortran is just trash..

If u need a cert, Reg in NIIT or Afrihub just for the cert sake buh just build urself and do ur thing.. Videos and ebooks abound online.. With ur lappy, u can move mountains..

That's the plain truth..
do not neglect the power of pascal and fortran, both are very good start-up lang

6 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 5:25am On Sep 06, 2013
rexspect: Computer science in the university is not all about programming languages alone. It involves System Analysis, Networking, DBMS, computer ethics and professionalism, System verification and validation, etc. All these you will not learn in your so called NIIT or afrihub. If really you know what you learnt from the university then you should know that there is big difference between learning Computer science in the university than outside the wall of the university.
system analysis and design, computer architecture, simulation and modelling, artificial intelligence, logic design and digital system, compiler constrution, automata theory, etc. Cs is not all about programming. You can write a computer program does not mean you are a computer scientist.

19 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 5:30am On Sep 06, 2013
Javanian: Of course we don't expect those that studied/are studying computer science to agree tongue
can i know the course you are studying. Oh now i know , you and pjosh, code-eater are not even in unis(maybe just got admi new). Wasting my time with ssce cert peeps. *Walks outta thread*

6 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 6:52am On Sep 06, 2013
paddy4destiny: can i know the course you are studying. Oh now i know , you and pjosh, code-eater are not even in unis(maybe just got admi new). Wasting my time with ssce cert peeps. *Walks outta thread*
meaning?

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 7:18am On Sep 06, 2013
CODE-EATER:
meaning?
pls, help me ask him
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 7:43am On Sep 06, 2013
paddy4destiny: system analysis and design, computer architecture, simulation and modelling, artificial intelligence, logic design and digital system, compiler constrution, automata theory, etc. Cs is not all about programming. You can write a computer program does not mean you are a computer scientist.
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
Don't knw if u understand what i am sayng?

10 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 8:03am On Sep 06, 2013
No b by to answer comp. Sci student o...MST of all yee science students don't really know sci well..

Some manage to cross ssce level through miracle center,and bribe their way to d uni...so wen I c some one say "I am studying comp. Sci" I look at dem as one of doz dudes,except I c d stuff u r made of....me I never read sciences in school, I was a true art student,but my intrest and ambition in life has made me understand dat m going no where with out some knowledge in physics n a Wii bit of further maths,it was too late to turn back ,so ihad my mum hire a personal home physics teacher for me...Cuz m determined to prove people like u wrong on d thought dat non science students cnt do sciences weather in or out of school..so don't come preaching to me abt DBMS n crap like dat, cuz in my line of duty dey r nt needed... I know web developers and programmers who Neva studied computer sci or even got out of high school, but dey r good at wat dey do..and I know so called computer science students who can't evn state d Newton's laws of motion dat even me wey Neva enter science class once can recite like poem..ntchewww

I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY IT...SOME FEILDS IN COMPUER SCIENCE OR I.T IN GENERAL DONT NEED U TO BE A COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT...

4 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by kodewrita(m): 9:53am On Sep 06, 2013
CODE-EATER:
No b by to answer comp. Sci student o...MST of all yee science students don't really know sci well..

Some manage to cross ssce level through miracle center,and bribe their way to d uni...so wen I c some one say "I am studying comp. Sci" I look at dem as one of doz dudes,except I c d stuff u r made of....me I never read sciences in school, I was a true art student,but my intrest and ambition in life has made me understand dat m going no where with out some knowledge in physics n a Wii bit of further maths,it was too late to turn back ,so ihad my mum hire a personal home physics teacher for me...Cuz m determined to prove people like u wrong on d thought dat non science students cnt do sciences weather in or out of school..so don't come preaching to me abt DBMS n crap like dat, cuz in my line of duty dey r nt needed... I know web developers and programmers who Neva studied computer sci or even got out of high school, but dey r good at wat dey do..and I know so called computer science students who can't evn state d Newton's laws of motion dat even me wey Neva enter science class once dat recite like poem..ntchewww

I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY IT...SOME FEILDS IN COMPUER SCIENCE OR I.T IN GENERAL DONT NEED U TO BE A COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT...

Even biblically, the wise are the ones who take instruction and add to their knowledge. If someone wilfully decides that more knowledge is uninmportant, then they have commenced a journey down the path of failure.

Unless you want to spend your life creating crappy apps for small cash and never creating anything great, then you definitely need to go beyond the base level you are.

I personally would not trust a half-baked IT professional with highly critical applications if such a programmer sees 3rd Normal form-designed DBMS as unnecessarily academic or too much work.

Universities teach you the whole picture and not just the narrow field of programming. Yes you can learn it on your own with tools like www.coursera.com or http://ocw.mit.edu or www.edx.org among others but its easier if you attend a UNI.

Dont let envy/regret prevent you or others from gettting good education.

31 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by losprince(m): 10:12am On Sep 06, 2013
p.josh:
This is a conversation betwen my uncle nd I..
Uncle: Josh,what course do u want 2 study.
Me: computer science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do u knw any programming language
Me: yes, I knw python and am still learning it.
Uncle :who taught u.
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle:Do not study com. Sci
Me: why
Uncle : why waste 4years in a Nigerian university study com. Sci when u can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.
Me: I will need the certificate when looking 4 work
Uncle: Look, even if u want 2learn com.sci don't depend on ur cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take com.sci as a course.

yeah "to some extent"
but com. sci is a good course

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by losprince(m): 10:23am On Sep 06, 2013
u cant compare a computer scientist wit a dude that learnt programing from a programer, computer scientists know how an operating system operates and can build one plus they can write their own language and do lots of stuff a mere programer cant... so... dont say its a waste of time rather its a qualification and a profession.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 10:28am On Sep 06, 2013
losprince: Screw u dude!
All dis guyz sef! why must u comment.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 10:30am On Sep 06, 2013
losprince: u cant compare a computer scientist wit a dude that learnt programing from a programer, computer scientists know how an operating system operates and can build one plus they can write their own language and do lots of stuff a mere programer cant... so... dont say its a waste of time rather its a qualification and a profession.
All na wash!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by skyfall: 11:07am On Sep 06, 2013
Your uncle is misleading you. Computer science is much more than programming and even at that, those Pascal & Fortran languages you're being taught is just laying a foundation, introducing you to what programming is all about & where it started from. Ultimately, only a small % of Comp Sc graduates take up programming and definitely have to go through further training to master it. Programming is like playing a musical instrument. A lot of people show interest but only a few actually master it and end up using it as a profession. There are lots of other things Comp Sc graduates do besides programming.

Why I said he's misleading you is that in Nigeria, no matter what skill you have, you need to have a degree before anyone can give you a decent job. Don't ask me why.

If you're so good that you could become an IT entrepreneur without a degree, no one would have to tell you. You probably would have discovered yourself by now, or will in future. No one had to tell Steve Jobs, Michael Dell or Bill Gates.

Google Computer Sc course content and see what it entails. If you really think it's a waste of time, you can go for an engineering degree and then take up programming as a second interest.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 11:15am On Sep 06, 2013
And who says u most go to a school to learn comp sci...Nigerian schools sef rnt good enuf to learn such...I will b goin in 4 computer sci next year,but nt in naija,m join graphic plus in India where I will learn sumtin. And b4 den I will b reading as much as I can from here and knowing wat I need...by d time I am done...I will become a hybrid student.. schooled in both sci and arts...n den I will pioneer n drive d next generation if nigerians who will join d chain....see,I have notin against any one or any class or course,just dat u so called science students have dis pathetic superiority complex dat makes uguys tink u kknow it all...90% of my fronds n associates r sci students dey xibit d same foolishness n I always tell dem did,I no dey hide my mouth.. God bless d first amendment..b not surprised if a "ordinary" or "mere" programmer turns out better dan u in I.T world...I don't believe dat a thing is impossible to archieve. Some how I hav a feeling dat in d near future we will cross paths again n I will remind u of hw u looked down on me...and by xtention all non-comp sci students..

God bless..

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Raypawer(m): 11:23am On Sep 06, 2013
Guy, u must be a joker saying that!
offering any course in the university, there after u learnt programming through one means or the other does'nt make u a computer scientist. Am not condemning the fact that you can write programme, its an added knowledge, but Its far better u go through Aptech and after four years you know u have a B.sc (foreign) cirtification...

p.josh:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 11:24am On Sep 06, 2013
skyfall: Your uncle is misleading you. Computer science is much more than programming and even at that, those Pascal & Fortran languages you're being taught is just laying a foundation, introducing you to what programming is all about & where it started from. Ultimately, only a small % of Comp Sc graduates take up programming and definitely have to go through further training to master it.

Why I said he's misleading you is that in Nigeria, no matter what skill you have, you need to have a degree before anyone can give you a decent job. Don't ask me why.

If you're so good that you could become an IT entrepreneur without a degree, no one would have to tell you. You probably would have discovered yourself by now. No one had to tell Steve Jobs, Michael Dell or Bill Gates.

Google Computer Sc course content and see what it entails. If you really think it's a waste of time, you can go for an engineering degree and then take up programming as a second interest.

I agree wit u 100% its more Dan just programming... its a whole lot more....and d journey aint easy...but u guys should be encouraging people or at least correct dem if dey r on d wrong lane...not to start insulting d dude n saying he is tkin trash. ..dats y I will always say dat foreign forums have better maturity Dan naija...xpecially here in Nairaland... if na sum where like xda or stack over flow,dem no go dey insult u,dey will just try to correct ur impression n give help to put u on d right track. Nt to start sayin
losprince: Screw u dude!
..wat have u contributed now by sayin DAT?

6 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by skyfall: 11:33am On Sep 06, 2013
CODE-EATER:

I agree wit u 100% its more Dan just programming... its a whole lot more....and d journey aint easy...but u guys should be encouraging people or at least correct dem if dey r on d wrong lane...not to start insulting d dude n saying he is tkin trash. ..dats y I will always say dat foreign forums have better maturity Dan naija...xpecially here in Nairaland... if na sum where like xda or stack over flow,dem no go dey insult u,dey will just try to correct ur impression n give help to put u on d right track. Nt to start sayin ..wat have u contributed now by sayin DAT?

I think I advised the guy. Personally, I don't believe that any course is better than another. It's just a matter of interest and opportunities after graduation. There are many Mech Eng graduates dusting their feet all over looking for jobs while Languages graduates are getting good jobs.

4 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 06, 2013
p.josh:
0.1.1 Why Study Computer Science?

Back to money. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), Computer Engineering is the second best-paid degree, Computer Science is fourth best paying degree, and Information Science is the 8th. Most of the other degrees are also in technology-related and involve software:
Top-Paid Bachelor's Degrees
Major Average Salary Offer
Petroleum Engineering $93,500
Computer Engineering $71,700
Chemical Engineering $67,600
Computer Science $64,800
Aerospace Engineering $64,400
Mechanical Engineering $64,000
Electrical Engineering $63,400
Management Informational Systems $63,100
Engineering Technology $62,200
Finance $57,400

(Data is from the NACE April 2013 Salary Survey.)

Computer engineers work at integrating computer programs with hardware. In today's engineering market, most of those engineering jobs will need to know some computer programming.

What is Information Science? This is a degree for people who like computers and technology but never really liked programming. This book aims to make sure that isn't you. Programming is fun, and who wants to settle for only 10th in the list of best-paying degrees?

While learning to program games, you can be studying towards one of the best paying four-year degrees you can get. And let's be honest, those engineering degrees usually take five years. Computer science is a great bet for a career.

Not only are computer science graduates getting high-paying offers, they are the most likely to get an offer when applying. According to NACE more than 56 percent of majors get an offer when applying. This is because there are few students going into a field that is in high-demand.

7 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 06, 2013
kodewrita:

Even biblically, the wise are the ones who take instruction and add to their knowledge. If someone wilfully decides that more knowledge is uninmportant, then they have commenced a journey down the path of failure.

Unless you want to spend your life creating crappy apps for small cash and never creating anything great, then you definitely need to go beyond the base level you are.

I personally would not trust a half-baked IT professional with highly critical applications if such a programmer sees 3rd Normal form-designed DBMS as unnecessarily academic or too much work.

Universities teach you the whole picture and not just the narrow field of programming. Yes you can learn it on your own with tools like www.coursera.com or http://ocw.mit.edu or www.edx.org among others but its easier if you attend a UNI.

Dont let envy/regret prevent you or others from gettting good education.
tanx man
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 07, 2013
Coding and being a computer scientist are totally two different things oh, Computer Scientist are responsible for most things you use Nvidia CUDA, Graphic Engines and lots of other things my brain cannot even attempt to comprehend. please don't let anyone fool, research before taking decisions like this. also you might wanna ralk to Abdulfattah on NL, i know he's one and he's really on his element.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Seun(m): 11:52am On Sep 07, 2013
If you want to be a professional software developer, you should study Computer Science at a good private university like Covenant University with good lecturers and good facilities. If you can't afford that, then study it at a reputable public school like OAU-Ife or UNILAG and also make sure you buy a computer and use it to teach yourself practical skills.

The practical knowledge you will gain by learning on your own is no substitute for the theoretical foundation you will gain as a Computer Science studentin a good university. It's complementary. A programmer who studied Computer Science and also learnt extra on his own will be much better than a programmer who studied something else and learnt on his own.

As a student of Computer Science, you will be surrounded by computer geniuses who are better than you. Learning from them and competing with them will make you a much better developer. It will bring out the best in you. It takes a rare and extraordinary level of motivation to learn Computer Science in depth on your own. It's just too hard.

So studying Computer Science in a good university is a fantastic way to spend 4 years if you want to work professionally as a software engineer. Your uncle is not qualified to tell you whether or not studying Computer Science is worth it because he knows nothing about it. You should not take advice from people who don't know what they are talking about. You should listen to employers of programmers and Computer Science graduates who are programmers.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by meshybizzo(m): 11:58am On Sep 07, 2013
I think many people commenting here are forgetting so many things.

Firstly, @op Uncle was most likely speaking as a Nigerian. We all know nigerian universities are no good. Even the so-called private ones. So let's stop decieving ourselves.

What is the arguement here? That computer science goes beyond programming or that studying computer science in "Nigeria" is a waste of time!

My answer to both is simple. They are both CORRECT! Computer science far goes beyond programming but also spending 4 good years (all things been constant e.g ASUU) in nigerian universities is sadly a long waste of time.

I have meet, worked wit and seen computer science and engineering graduates from Unilag, OAU and even the so-called CU and likes incapable of "Formatting" a computer system after 4years in the university. I finished from FUTA. Comp sci students are taught maths and al sort of matrics and algebra ova and ova. Yet some can even write a simple html code.

So Pls, Pls and Pls let's not decieve ourselves. Yes the certificate has its benefits but if you're speaking in terms of "knowlegde" I do rather go to some training institute for 1year than 4long years in a nigerian university studying Comp Sci.

Its all a matter of focus. What you want to do. For example, If I wanted 2b a networking guy, I do direct my money toward Cisco certifications. And believe me it do take you there much faster than 4years in the university.

And lastly, Computer science is far becoming to Large! In the nearest further I foresee it been dissolved into small course like network engineering, programming and the likes.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by kunlesehan(m): 12:24pm On Sep 07, 2013
Seun: If you want to be a professional software developer, you should study Computer Science at a good private university like Covenant University with good lecturers and good facilities. If you can't afford that, then study it at a reputable public school like OAU-Ife or UNILAG

@seun, true talk.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.