Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. (12406 Views)

Dangote Listed Among World’s 50 Most Influential Persons / Buhari Ranked Among Famous U.S Army War College Alumni By US Ranking Site / World's Poorest President's Pictures And His Beautiful Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 7:53am On Sep 07, 2013
Another negatively damning indictment showing, for all morally upright Nigerians, that GEJ is an unmitigated failure who is worsening our biggest problems. Far from being "transformation", this President has turned out to be a champion of retrogression and stagnation.

Nigeria is moving backwards in every aspect under this woeful accidental leader. That Nigerians put up with this abjectly incompetent President, when proof of his "kindergaten" incompetence come in overwhelmingly thick and fast every day, is the biggest disgrace of all. That, above everything else, is what reveals we are a disunited joke of a nation unable to call a spade a spade.

http://odili.net/news/source/2013/sep/6/313.html

Nigeria ranked among world’s poorest competitive countries
News Friday, September 6, 2013

Nigeria dropped five places from last year's 115th position to 120th.

Despite the efforts to diversify the economy and attract investors by the Jonathan administration, Nigeria is still ranked among the stragglers in the Global Competitive Index, GCI, 2013-2014 released Wednesday by the World Economic Forum.

Nigeria dropped five places from last year's 115th position to 120th among the 148 countries profiled.

The GCI, which was introduced in 2004, measures how the set of institutions, policies, and other factors determine the level of productivity of a country. The GCI scores is calculated by drawing together the 12 pillars of competitiveness namely: institutions, infrastructure, macroeconomic environment, health and primary education, higher education and training, goods market efficiency, labour market efficiency, financial market development, technological readiness, market size, business sophistication and innovation.

According to the ranking, Nigeria is placed in the poorest pool of economic development possible. Nigeria ranked as a "factor driven" economy with the likes of Liberia, Lao, Mali and Yemen.”

There are four stages of development with innovation-driven economies being the best pool of nations.

It worries the compilers of the index that Nigeria's economy is struggling to keep up despite overt advantages over other African countries. For instance, the report noted that Nigeria, due to its population, enjoys a large market size (32nd position) "which has the potential for significant economies of scale and is an important factor for attracting investors."

It identifies weak institutions (ranked at 129th out of 148); engrained corruption, undue influence, weakly protected property rights, insecurity (ranked at 142nd), poor infrastructure (ranked at 135th) and poor primary education (ranked at 146th) as the reasons for the country's abysmal rating.

It also points to the over reliance on oil and the poor penetration of ICT as the other reasons for the country's poor showing.

Meanwhile Mauritius has overtaken South Africa as the most competitive country in Sub-Saharan Africa. Ranked at 45th position the country moved up nine places this year. The country's enviable showing is bolstered by "transparent public institutions (ranked at 39th) with clear property rights and strong judicial independence and an efficient government (29th)," the report noted.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by DonColz1(m): 7:57am On Sep 07, 2013
Nigeria has a serious problem, jonathan government is a confused government, there is too much money in nigeria, but they would be using it to buy yatch, jet, and luxurious that are not adding anything to the growth of the nation, jonathan government does not focus on economic growth but focuses on personal growth, after all the promises he made during his 7 point agenda, nigeria is still the same, the problem with jonathan government is planning, and this is going to cripple the nigeria if he does not plan how to use the resources of nigeria..

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by humblesteve(m): 8:17am On Sep 07, 2013
Transformation my foot. *Hiss*

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 8:20am On Sep 07, 2013
DonColz1: Nigeria has a serious problem, jonathan government is a confused government, there is too much money in nigeria, but they would be using it to buy yatch, jet, and luxurious that are not adding anything to the growth of the nation, jonathan government does not focus on economic growth but focuses on personal growth, after all the promises he made during his 7 point agenda, nigeria is still the same, the problem with jonathan government is planning, and this is going to cripple the nigeria if he does not plan how to use the resources of nigeria..

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I was one of those that stated continuously, before the 2011 election, that Nigeria must reject GEJ because we were at a critical stage where serious and thorough reforms were needed everywhere else Nigeria risked facing economic collapse if it embraced another clueless and gradualist looter. Lo and behold, Nigerians voted for the worst option possible because many were too busy following their sentiments and instincts of discriminatory bias.

It was obvious, given his past record and direct associations before the 2011 election, that GEJ is another accidental and undeserving leader promoted far above his station and only "focused on personal growth" as you opined. I am not surprised at the appalling failures being publicised daily about Nigeria. Indeed I made it clear we can expect this if GEJ became President. Shame that more Nigerians than is healthy are too biased and sentimental to see what matters. We may continue to cut our noses to spite our faces thanks to those who lack political sophistication and simplistically see everything along sectional and ethno-religious lines.

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 8:37am On Sep 07, 2013
humblesteve: Transformation my foot. *Hiss*

The only 'transformation' going on is that which is turning rich crooks into much richer crooks who are now, at record pace, making Nigeria the private jet capital of the world. This is what GEJ has come in to achieve and this is why, uniquely, all the biggest crooks, AGIPs and ruinous hands put their difference aside to unite behind "fresh air" in 2011.

These enemies of progress knew that, under GEJ, Nigeria was about to be opened up for the taking in a manner never before seen in our history. So far, GEJ has not disappointed them at all. A cursory look at those getting stupendously rich under GEJ(crooks, AGIPs, militants, terrorists et al) shows we are in serious trouble and will struggle, as a Nation, to put down the many monsters this President is feeding fat.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Maxymilliano(m): 8:47am On Sep 07, 2013
Gbawe.:

Nigeria is moving backwards in every aspect under this woeful accidental leader. That Nigerians put up with this abjectly incompetent President, when proof of his "kindergaten" incompetence come in overwhelmingly thick and fast every day, is the biggest disgrace of all. That, above everything else, is what reveals we are a disunited joke of a nation unable to call a spade a spade.

Nigeria is not moving backwards in all aspect, except you are the one moving backward. The index only confirm the statement credited to Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,  Nigeria’s Minister of Finance recently that the country’s economy is“strong but with vulnerabilities” ...

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 9:10am On Sep 07, 2013
Maxymilliano:

Nigeria is not moving backwards in all aspect, except you are the one moving backward. The index only confirm the statement credited to Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,  Nigeria’s Minister of Finance recently that the country’s economy is“strong but with vulnerabilities” ...

Your petty insults mean nothing to me. You are a very dishonest person and as such you do not deserve a detailed response from me or indeed other sensible and truthful Nairalanders. I will let the quotes below dissipate your silly and expectedly dishonest attempt at spinning, on behalf of your failing messiah, what is in black and white.

In most sane Nations, they call a spade a spade and accept statistical changes/indicators that, for every honest person, incontrovertibly points at failure of leadership. Not so Nigeria the domain of many shamelessly hardened fraudsters and nauseatingly dishonest individuals like you.

Ordinarily, many of you, even if his die-hard fans, should be ashamed of GEJ at times like this. Yet a backbone of fraud and an ingrained mindset of patent dishonesty means you will show up to say senselessly dishonest things you assume to be positive spin. Yet you are only disgracing your Nation and yourself. You cannot spin the quotes below that indict GEJ as a failure because the world is not full of fraudsters like you. Was GEJ voted in to take us backwards from 115th to 120th? Or was he voted in to improve our standings and move Nigeria forward? What a dishonest, clannish and fraudulent clown.

Nigeria dropped five places from last year's 115th position to 120th.

It worries the compilers of the index that Nigeria's economy is struggling to keep up despite overt advantages over other African countries.

It identifies weak institutions (ranked at 129th out of 148); engrained corruption, undue influence, weakly protected property rights, insecurity (ranked at 142nd), poor infrastructure (ranked at 135th) and poor primary education (ranked at 146th) as the reasons for the country's abysmal rating.

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 07, 2013
The reasons for the poor ranking of Nigeria, according to the report, are:

-weak institutions (ranked at 129th out of 148)
-engrained corruption, undue influence, weakly protected property rights, insecurity (ranked at 142nd),
-poor infrastructure (ranked at 135th)
-poor primary education (ranked at 146th)

Well, many of those criteria are either joint responsibility of all tiers of govt or responsibility of other tier of govt. For instance, primary education is not the responsibility of GEJ. It is the constitutional responsibility of state and local govt. So @Gbawe and other APC sycophants should tell their masters that the poor primary school education in their states is affecting the ranking of Nigeria.

The other criterias including weak institutions, corruption, poor infrastructures,etc is an indictment on all tiers of govt- state, federal and local govt. It shows that they ALL have to do MORE.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 9:28am On Sep 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The reasons for the poor ranking of Nigeria, according to the report, are:

-engrained corruption, undue influence, weakly protected property rights, insecurity (ranked at 142nd),

Well, many of those criteria are either joint responsibility of all tiers of govt or responsibility of other tier of govt. For instance, primary education is not the responsibility of GEJ. It is the constitutional responsibility of state and local govt. So @Gbawe and other APC sycophants should tell their masters that the poor primary school education in their states is affecting the ranking of Nigeria.

The other criterias including weak institutions, corruption, poor infrastructures,etc is an indictment on all tiers of govt- state, federal and local govt. It shows that they ALL have to do MORE.

Shut up. Your breath stinks as bad as your unintelligently senseless, crassly dishonest and odiously sycophantic excuses. GEJ is a failure and you cannot pass the buck for his failings on to others. Had this been an improvement in Nigeria's ranking, it is you and your nauseatingly dishonest co-travellers who would make it all about GEJ while spamming the forum to death about how "fresh air is working".

I am really uncomfortable, even if it is only on a faceless forum, being citizens of the same nation with fraudsters like you. You are a disgrace. Do you know I do not even bother to read what you write? That is the level of disregard I have for any utterance you make because I believe you are only capable of mouthing dishonest drivel.

37 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Brimmie(m): 9:34am On Sep 07, 2013
[size=20]Dr. Ifeanyi Be Like, Hell No!! APC Propaganda At Work!![/size] undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 07, 2013
Gbawe.:

Shut up. Your breath stinks as bad as your unintelligently senseless, crassly dishonest and odiously sycophantic excuses. GEJ is a failure and you cannot pass the buck for his failings on to others. Had this been an improvement in Nigeria's ranking, it is you and your nauseatingly dishonest co-travellers who would make it all about GEJ while spamming the forum to death about how "fresh air is working".

I am really uncomfortable, even if it is only on a faceless forum, being citizens of the same nation with fraudsters like you. You are a disgrace. Do you know I do not even bother to read what you write? That is the level of disregard I have for any utterance you make because I believe you are only capable of mouthing dishonest drivel.
These outpouring of emotions and foaming at the mouth is unnecessary. Lets stay with the FACTS:

- whose constitutional responsibility is primary school education? It is that of state and local govts. Tell your masters in APC to improve the conditions of primary schools in their states. That will help improve our ranking next time.

- whose constitutional responsibility is it to build strong institutions, reduce corruption, improve infrastructures,etc? It is that of ALL tiers of govt. All tiers of govt have institutions under their care. All tiers of govt have certain category of infrastructures under their care. All tiers of govt should ensure that public servants under their watch are not corrupt.

So frustrated @Gbawe, stay with the facts.

Meanwhile, you didnt have to tell wicked lies. I know you ALWAYS read my posts. In fact, your day is incomplete without a good dose of my posts.

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 10:34am On Sep 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
These outpouring of emotions and foaming at the mouth is unnecessary. Lets stay with the FACTS:

- whose constitutional responsibility is primary school education? It is that of state and local govts. Tell your masters in APC to improve the conditions of primary schools in their states. That will help improve our ranking next time.

- whose constitutional responsibility is it to build strong institutions, reduce corruption, improve infrastructures,etc? It is that of ALL tiers of govt. All tiers of govt have institutions under their care. All tiers of govt have certain category of infrastructures under their care. All tiers of govt should ensure that public servants under their watch are not corrupt.

Meanwhile, you didnt have to tell wicked lies. I know you ALWAYS read my posts. In fact, your day is incomplete without a good dose of my posts.

Shut up and get lost. I have no interest in reading what you write because you are a shameless liar and a very poor excuse of a Nigerian. Talk to those who are interested in your childish hogwash.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The reasons for the poor ranking of Nigeria, according to the report, are:

Oh my God! This dude you need to voluntarily sign up for rehab, u sound crazier than a drugged out looney.

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by lertee(f): 11:12am On Sep 07, 2013
We argue everyday on nigeria and how backward she is,what solution have we or can we profer? What is the way forward? If our leaders are bad,are the followers not worse?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by awodman: 11:16am On Sep 07, 2013
Pls you guys shouldn't spoil Gbawe's fun...this is the kind of news that makes him wet his pants in orgazmic excitation...

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by awodman: 11:20am On Sep 07, 2013
kingoflag: Oh my God! This dude you need to voluntarily sign up for rehab, u sound crazier than a drugged out looney.
My friend stay on the topic and quit insults...

1) Who is responsible for primary education
2) What is the state govts doing with the allocations made for infrastructure
3) Have corruption reduced in states?

The blame should be rightly shared among all tiers of the govt

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by AkinDavid2: 11:20am On Sep 07, 2013
All the tiers of government has failed in their respective capacity, enough of window dressing.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 07, 2013
awodman:

Please kindly STFU and stop trying to tell me what to say to another imb*ecile that sounds just as idiotic as your dunce self. Thanks in advance.

Now, back to topic.

Bottom-line, if you do not have an inspirational leader to lead the country in the proper direction, NOTHING WILL WORK!

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Tolexander: 11:27am On Sep 07, 2013
This is why we need fresh hair and not fresh air!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by awodman: 11:37am On Sep 07, 2013
kingoflag: Please kindly STFU and stop trying to tell me what to say to another imb*ecile that sounds just as idiotic as your dunce self. Thanks in advance.

Now, back to topic.

Bottom-line, if you do not have an inspirational leader to lead the country in the proper direction, NOTHING WILL WORK!
Lol..you can call me any name you want but it won't stop me from pointing out the facts...

Am still waiting for you to answer me on a point by point basis

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 07, 2013
Gbawe.:

Shut up and get lost. I have no interest in reading what you write because you are a shameless liar and a very poor excuse of a Nigerian. Talk to those who are interested in your childish hogwash.
I wanted to sign up for APC today BUT with this sort of attitude coming from you, I've changed my mind. I may reconsider my position in 2020. By then your APC may have undergone 3 more metamorphosis, from APC to ACP, to CAP and finally CPA. Lol..

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by AkamuandStew: 1:01pm On Sep 07, 2013
The Retardeen is working.....

grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Mylove55(f): 1:03pm On Sep 07, 2013
awodman:
Lol..you can call me any name you want but it won't stop me from pointing out the facts...

Am still waiting for you to answer me on a point by point basis
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by kcjazz(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2013
The reason anyone has a right to criticise the government on education is why are we spending huge sums of money on UBE and yet millions of kids are out of school? UBE is good, who is keeping track or not?

Why is the civil service badly inefficient? Visit any ministry in Abuja and be freaked out.

I believe securing property rights will go a long way to solve poverty, reduce business cost and violence. It takes a lot of guts but the government is foot dragging. Why?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Mylove55(f): 3:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
Who control and inflence d institution like police,efcc,inec,cbn,judiciary etc to be corrupt.who pay out subsidy without supply,who award contract to fraudsters and millitant.who make bad policies dat increase uneployment and poverty in nigeria,is it fashola,osho or rochas,isn't not jona and d pdp?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Gbawe2: 4:29pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mylove55: Who control and inflence d institution like police,efcc,inec,cbn,judiciary etc to be corrupt.who pay out subsidy without supply,who award contract to fraudsters and millitant.who make bad policies dat increase uneployment and poverty in nigeria,is it fashola,osho or rochas,isn't not jona and d pdp?

Please do not take these guys seriously. They are merely showing the world Nigeria host many hardened fraudsters comfortable with speaking deceitfully. Recently, the British parliament failed to back David Cameron's effort to align the UK with America's planned attack on Syria. This, by everyone in the UK, was deemed a humiliating embarrassment for Cameron and a dent on his perceived influence and leadership. Naturally and as expected, Cameron and his supporters are contrite.

On to Africa and to Nigeria. Several PDP members humiliated the President by walking out on him at a Party convention. They then quickly announced the formation of a rival faction they insist is the legally empowered Party platform the President derives his mandate from. To the entire world, this was a humiliating 'palace coup'.

On so many level, this is an absolute slap in the face of the President and a killer blow that now renders him a 'dead man walking'. Go to cyberspace to see how Nigerian fans of GEJ are interpreting events. It leaves one in no doubt that many Nigerians are fraud and deception personified. Despite the total humiliation that effectively signified to the world that GEJ is a lame duck President who is not in charge and , without a clue, walked into a devastating ambush we still witnessed Nigerians saying nauseatingly that GEJ somehow comes out of this looking good!! When your countrymen are that dubious and fraudulent, are you surprised they are now trying to tell us this negative indictment against the FG is nothing to do with GEJ? Would it not be better if some said nothing instead of showing this level of dishonesty?

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by plaindealer: 5:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

awodman:

Ok, let'a accomodate your flawed reasoning for a second.

Yes, corruption is everywhere in Nigeria including state and local government level, but we do have crimne fighting institutions like the Nigerian police, efcc and other institutions in place to arrest these problems and th last time I checked, these are all federal agencies directly under GEJ.

So, cut and dice as much as you want, the burded still rests with GEJ, even in the article, they said nothing about Nigerian states and local governments, it says Nigeria and who is president of Nigeria?

The president is sorounded by crooks, indicted fraedstars and ex convicts, he gives, pardons, aid and comforts to criminals and convicts, his AG and main law officer is a crook, his spokesman is a crook and self-admitted fraudstar, he welcomes and fraternize with thugs and unrully elements....the list goes on and on..

Whatn government budgets billions for terrorists and I'm talking about even more money for terorist than for healthcare of it's citizens.

GEJ is a clear representation of the bad and corrupt Nigerian institutions...

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by alaoeri: 5:18pm On Sep 07, 2013
Blame everything on fresh Air.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 07, 2013
All of you here are speakin big big English.

Your analyses on this faceless forum will amount to nothing like it has always amounted to.

Big English, no substance. It is business as usual in Naija.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by adino(m): 9:03pm On Sep 07, 2013
Gbawe.:

The ranting of an e-rat.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by adino(m): 9:07pm On Sep 07, 2013
kcjazz: The reason anyone has a right to criticise the government on education is why are we spending huge sums of money on UBE and yet millions of kids are out of school? UBE is good, who is keeping track or not?

Why is the civil service badly inefficient? Visit any ministry in Abuja and be freaked out.

I believe securing property rights will go a long way to solve poverty, reduce business cost and violence. It takes a lot of guts but the government is foot dragging. Why?

What about civil service in your LGA and State and why did UBE fail in your state.
Hypocrite.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. by adino(m): 9:09pm On Sep 07, 2013
Gbawe.:

This old man will kill himself o, O-frustration.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Owes Road Contractors N2.7trn, Says Fashola / You Are Desperate – Lai Mohammed Blasts Atiku /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.