Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

My Poultry Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farm (38458 Views)

The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) / My Poultry Farm - Part 2 / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farm by Pavore9: 7:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
FarmTech:
Yes, we shud thank God. After several illnesses, they're now doing fine in this cool weather. We've also installed 2 fans for them.
lol @ fans, nna men dem dey enjoy o, while nobody send dem okuko igbo!
Re: My Poultry Farm by Pavore9: 7:58pm On Jul 08, 2014
@farmtech, where can one get guinea fowl to rear, l recall my days of rice farming @Achalla, if u head towards a place called nkwo aku betwn 6a.m&6.45a.m u will sight flock of wild guinea fowls on d fields, l caught 2 but they refused domestication!
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 8:48pm On Jul 10, 2014
Pavore9: @farmtech, where can one get guinea fowl to rear, l recall my days of rice farming @Achalla, if u head towards a place called nkwo aku betwn 6a.m&6.45a.m u will sight flock of wild guinea fowls on d fields, l caught 2 but they refused domestication!
I dont know about that one oo. Is there good market for it?
Re: My Poultry Farm by Pavore9: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
FarmTech:
I dont know about that one oo. Is there good market for it?
Just want to rear it in the future for personal consumption.ls it not what is called ogazi? The eggs has always been more expensive than the chicken's.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
Pavore9: Just want to rear it in the future for personal consumption.ls it not what is called ogazi? The eggs has always been more expensive than the chicken's.
Now I remember. Maybe u shud ask all those people that usually go to hatcheries to buy chicks. They may know where u can get it.
Re: My Poultry Farm by spanzed(m): 8:23am On Jul 12, 2014
@Femtech i am a beginner in dis agric sector but am captiv ated with some of u guys dicussion firstly i would like 2 ask whats the diff. Bitween Quail birds and Layers?,wch is better if i would like 2 start the egg producing stuff,what ratio of male/female should i get with just an initial capital of 10k..i would upload the cage where i plan of fixing them in later,,i no 10k is so little 2 start with but trust me bro i would be dedicated big time...also i want 2 No what i would need in the cage for them do they require electricity i mean bulb...do they require drinkers..and how would i place their feed when i want 2 is there a equipment for that?if i want 2 even get the quail birds wch a fellow nairalander advise me 2go for do he said they are immune 2 disease nt like the layers and i should get a 1wk old quail bird b'cos they don't die just like the layers..what are the method of vacination u would adive me on'how would i get their feed,drugs and how much do they cost b'cos am sure that 10k would be exusted when i start in August even b4 the mnth runs out..or if u have a better offer for me just advice me!!!Thanks man expecting ur reply
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 8:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
With 10k, its better u go for sth like rabbits. The running cost of poultry is quite high. As for quail, I dont know much about it, but people say it is more profitable than layers.
Re: My Poultry Farm by spanzed(m): 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2014
Thanks bro but i still have so much zeal for this layers of a stuff..my plan is to start small i may even find 10k more but i have gotten the cage..apart frm that i dn't no any other thing 2 do the conditions necessary and vacination..i really need ur whatsap no Farmtech so as to talk better with u..GOD bless
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 10:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
spanzed: Thanks bro but i still have so much zeal for this layers of a stuff..my plan is to start small i may even find 10k more but i have gotten the cage..apart frm that i dn't no any other thing 2 do the conditions necessary and vacination..i really need ur whatsap no Farmtech so as to talk better with u..GOD bless
This nairaland data loss really cost a lot. I've answered most of the questns u have but all were lost. And now that my laptop is faulty, i cant answer most questns off heart. All my records are in the laptop, when i repair or replace it, I'll post all the info I saved.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Juliana7: 10:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
Hmmm
Re: My Poultry Farm by spanzed(m): 11:14pm On Jul 13, 2014
Thanks would be expectant
Re: My Poultry Farm by ultrazone(m): 12:36am On Jul 23, 2014
If you need to empower yourself in fish and poultry farming free, I suggest you take a look at my signature.
Re: My Poultry Farm by jamp: 5:38pm On Sep 17, 2014
bros how far with your farm. you just bone this thread. update guys
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 7:04pm On Sep 17, 2014
jamp: bros how far with your farm. you just bone this thread. update guys

It's still very much in my mind. Let me just give you guys a summary of the porofit:
1. Feed intake per day: 66.5kg
2. Cost per kg of feed = N2350/25kg = N94/kg
3. Feed cost per day = 66.5kg x 94=N6251/day.
4. Average no. Of crates per day is 14 crates.
5. Average price per crate is N600.
6. Gross Profit per day = N600x14 crates = N8400.
7. Net profit is N2149 per day.
N.B. Cost of routine lasota vaccination (N720 every 6 wks or less), antibiotic preventive dose, water, multivit etc not included. They're small though.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Poultry Farm by Nwogbe: 5:32am On Sep 18, 2014
FarmTech:
It's still very much in my mind. Let me just give you guys a summary of the porofit:
1. Feed intake per day: 66.5kg
2. Cost per kg of feed = N2350/25kg = N94/kg
3. Feed cost per day = 66.5kg x 94=N6251/day.
4. Average no. Of crates per day is 14 crates.
5. Average price per crate is N600.
6. Gross Profit per day = N600x14 crates = N8400.
7. Net profit is N2149 per day.
N.B. Cost of routine lasota vaccination (N720 every 6 wks or less), antibiotic preventive dose, water, multivit etc not included. They're small though.
So sure 60k/mnth, not bad for a beginner. Hope u gonna double d number of birds in ur nxt stock.
Re: My Poultry Farm by tabontabon: 11:36am On Sep 18, 2014
FarmTech:
It's still very much in my mind.
what is d total number of birds?
What is ur pen size (dimension)?
How many times do u feed them per day?
** EDITED**
How often do u change their litter.
What time of d day do u feed them.
Re: My Poultry Farm by rareman(m): 10:33pm On Sep 18, 2014
@farmtech thank you very much, this thread just came at the right time. Its worth a whole lot to me. Guess you will be hearing more from soon. Thanks once more
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 8:48pm On Sep 20, 2014
Nwogbe:
So sure 60k/mnth, not bad for a beginner. Hope u gonna double d number of birds in ur nxt stock.
I pray so.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
tabontabon:
what is d total number of birds?
What is ur pen size (dimension)?
How many times do u feed them per day?
** EDITED**
How often do u change their litter.
What time of d day do u feed them.
They're now 497 birds. Feeding is morning and evening. I change the litter whenever it is wet and smelly. I can't recall the dimension off heart, I'll have to check it again.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 8:53pm On Sep 20, 2014
rareman: @farmtech thank you very much, this thread just came at the right time. Its worth a whole lot to me. Guess you will be hearing more from soon. Thanks once more
You're welcome.
Re: My Poultry Farm by jdkoko(m): 7:07am On Sep 22, 2014
@farmtech, will like to see(pic) how you installed the fan in your pen.thanks
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
jdkoko: @farmtech, will like to see(pic) how you installed the fan in your pen.thanks
I used a wall fan and tied it to ceiling posts. I should have used ceiling fans though - not the unprotected type. I'll post pics when I link to internet.
Re: My Poultry Farm by jdkoko(m): 8:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ok, thanks will be waiting for the pics. But doesn't the fan raise dust ? Which may cause respiratory diseasem
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2014
jdkoko: Ok, thanks will be waiting for the pics. But doesn't the fan raise dust ? Which may cause respiratory diseasem
No dust. A pen that is too dusty shud be watered.
Re: My Poultry Farm by limgo(m): 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
@farmtech. I want to open a small poultry inside my compound but my wife is complaining of the odour and that it will attract snakes to the house. my questions are ; how can I control the odours from the layers not to disturb my neighbors and what can I do to prevent snakes inside the compound. I stay around Ifo in Ogun state.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 4:37pm On Sep 24, 2014
limgo: @farmtech. I want to open a small poultry inside my compound but my wife is complaining of the odour and that it will attract snakes to the house. my questions are ; how can I control the odours from the layers not to disturb my neighbors and what can I do to prevent snakes inside the compound. I stay around Ifo in Ogun state.
My own is also cited close to buildings inside a compound, nobody is complaining about odour yet. Maybe it depends on ur neighbours. To minimize odour you'll have to build it in a direction sun wont enter it, ie the end walls shud face East and west. Also check where the prevailing wind is leading to, bc people in those area might complain.
I don't think it attract snake if well enclosed.

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm by limgo(m): 5:39pm On Sep 24, 2014
@farmtech thanks very much
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:24pm On Sep 25, 2014
limgo: @farmtech thanks very much
You're welcome.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nobody: 5:40am On Sep 27, 2014
FarmTech:
I'm already a member. I think u hav to engage in a largescale campaign to make it more active.
Gud work bro....... Pls wђε̲̣rξ did get you Day Old Chick?
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 7:59am On Sep 27, 2014
spanzed: @Femtech i am a beginner in dis agric sector but am captiv ated with some of u guys dicussion firstly i would like 2 ask whats the diff. Bitween Quail birds and Layers?,wch is better if i would like 2 start the egg producing stuff,what ratio of male/female should i get with just an initial capital of 10k..i would upload the cage where i plan of fixing them in later,,i no 10k is so little 2 start with but trust me bro i would be dedicated big time...also i want 2 No what i would need in the cage for them do they require electricity i mean bulb...do they require drinkers..and how would i place their feed when i want 2 is there a equipment for that?if i want 2 even get the quail birds wch a fellow nairalander advise me 2go for do he said they are immune 2 disease nt like the layers and i should get a 1wk old quail bird b'cos they don't die just like the layers..what are the method of vacination u would adive me on'how would i get their feed,drugs and how much do they cost b'cos am sure that 10k would be exusted when i start in August even b4 the mnth runs out..or if u have a better offer for me just advice me!!!Thanks man expecting ur reply
Men, I can't believe I miss this ur post for this long. Sorry for that.
Layers are hens that specialize in egg laying while quail are those smaller birds that matures fasters and lay small eggs. There is more market for layers eggs than quail eggs, but both can be profitable if u can find a regular market for them.
Except you want to start a hatchery biz, you don't need males. A day old chick cost about N210, that's the price I bought mine, but it can be lower than that depending on the time of the yr.
I dont use cages, but I know that the feed and water trough are made in the form of gutter and placed outside the cage. Yes, layers need extra light at night to lay more eggs.
I dont know much about quail yet. To get drugs, vaccines etc for layers, ask other farmers close to you or visit the market and ask. Try to get from shops close by. For vaccination plan, talk to other farmers in ur area - farmers that are succeeding, not the ones complaining.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 8:00am On Sep 27, 2014
praise4real:
Gud work bro....... Pls wђε̲̣rξ did get you Day Old Chick?
Message not clear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Black Snake I Just Killed This Night While Searching For My He Goat / How To Do Fresh Pepper Farming? / Wonders Of Nature In My Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.