Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,807 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (30079 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 9:29pm On Sep 10, 2013
fresh stew, no suppose add to cook na,blend the tomatoes etc,have your palm or olive oil heated,pour the juice, put sardine, stew don set...at most 20 minutes
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by dokunbam(m): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2013
seriously there is a better way

i dont over cook my stew which still give it the taste i want

i dont like rodo so i only use plenty tomatoes, tatase and plenty onions

method one: now, when you grind it dont let the water be too much, dont be like baba Suwe

about my meat or chicken, i make sure i dont put much water to boil it so that the water will dry with it, if i need to add water, i add it at interval to make the meat/chicken boil very well. because i discovered when you have too much water in your meat or chicken you will want to add it to your soup to have chicken/meat taste. well you can pour it away.

this way you will not much water in your soup/stew

method 2: as bachelor, after the grinding the pepper, i make sure i wash the meat or chicken well and i add everything together. the pepper, the chicken/meat and cook it. it will turn out well, you cant tell the difference.

note:
you can also put tomato paste (tin or sachet)
for fish i always cook it together
i like spices, curry and thyme
but less seasoning
save time and energy and use gas cooker(i always pray that the gas dont finish at night or Saturday night)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by isaac979: 9:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
well,i tink its a cultural tin and it also depends on how u want the stew to taste.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Willgates(m): 9:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
STEWpid thread grin

MKPO ABA O

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by kpolli(m): 9:36pm On Sep 10, 2013
I now see why guys claim that girls of today can't cook.... How wud u boil stew for 1-2hrs O ga ooo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Annie09: 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
For me i think dat's d normal way to cook it especially when it's in large quantity so that it can last longer.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by tucee31: 9:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
Wld u prefer raw tomatoe stew?
I don't even know why ur stew shld take 1 to 2 hrs to cook. Pls check the tomatoes let's know if its not d spoilt ones u bot from d market.
Haven't u tasted freshly cooked tasty stew b4?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2013
Nigerians are not Yoruba women nau!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Harrisonn: Mine takes 5 minutes grin grin grin

shocked shocked shocked

5 mins? No meat, fish, etc?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Omotolaaraujo(f): 9:46pm On Sep 10, 2013
Tomato stew? I thought stew had other ingredients. No one has shared this stew recipe with me. The author says all the nutrients are depleted through cooking. I would put it over rice, or cook less.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 10, 2013

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by rhowly(m): 9:54pm On Sep 10, 2013
kerosene things simple n short grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by soulglo: 9:56pm On Sep 10, 2013
Use a wider pot to steam the tomatoes. It should not take more than 45 minutes to dry. I agree that the nutrients are non existent by the time you are done but you can always throw kale in at the last minute. I love my kale almost raw and they pack more nutrients than any raw tomato can. So cook your stew the Nigerian way but add vegetables and don't cook it for long after you add veggies.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by armyofone(m): 9:59pm On Sep 10, 2013
When you boil your tomatoes, it reduces acidity.
Acidity can be reduced also by using very riped tomato in your cooking.
My mom don't boil hers unless during Christmas when she buys in bulk.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 10, 2013
What is the health Benefit of Pepper, what Nutrient does it contains...?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
Many nigerians need multivitamin and mineral supplements.
Because we dont eat enuf raw veggies (except in abacha and salads) and we overcook the ones in our soups and stews.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
Shez hawt:

5 mins? No meat, fish, etc?

Na egg things
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 10, 2013
eddiebruk: What is the health Benefit of Pepper, what Nutrient does it contains...?

vitamin A
phosphorus
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
dokunbam: seriously there is a better way

i dont over cook my stew which still give it the taste i want

i dont like rodo so i only use plenty tomatoes, tatase and plenty onions

method one: now, when you grind it dont let the water be too much, dont be like baba Suwe

about my meat or chicken, i make sure i dont put much water to boil it so that the water will dry with it, if i need to add water, i add it at interval to make the meat/chicken boil very well. because i discovered when you have too much water in your meat or chicken you will want to add it to your soup to have chicken/meat taste. well you can pour it away.

this way you will not much water in your soup/stew

method 2: as bachelor, after the grinding the pepper, i make u wash the meat or chicken well and i add everything together. the pepper, the chicken/meat and cook it. it will turn out well, you cant tell the difference.

note:
you can also put tomato paste (tin or sachet)
for fish i always cook it together
i like spices, curry and thyme
but less seasoning
save time and energy and use gas cooker(i always pray that the gas dont finish at night or Saturday night)

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And you still dey go mama Nkechi...?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by nenergy(m): 10:08pm On Sep 10, 2013
My mummy doesn't deep dry her stew, but it still manages to taste like christmas stew everytime. grin I will ask her when i get home......by....... shocked 11:00pm cry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
ngozievergreen:

vitamin A
phosphorus

Thanks Ma
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by unite4real: 10:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
Is a mudu of garri still expensive in the market? i love it with stew
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 10, 2013
REALITY101: Then I wonder why after 2 or more hours my cousin's stew still taste like lemonade
*dies*

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 10, 2013
Alyricist★Laura:
Last time i used this Goddamn Forum i got Banned for 3 months for Talking about a White Biitch Riding a Elephant

All i wrote is, "How did that White Biitch get on top of that Elephant"

And Whap! I was Whacked for 4 months.

I write Black Biitch All Day Everyday, Neva got banned for that Shitt Tho.
now i see its understandable why u were banned. I mean seriously dude, we talking bout cookin matters here, u here yarning dust about banning, elephants and biitches. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 10, 2013
OP is right tho
Over boiling tomatoes renders it almost useless
Tha carotene is gone
The vitamin A and C are denatured.
Nutrition wise over cooking fruits and vegetables is so not the way

But then everyone likes the taste when they are overcooked.

What we are after here in naija na sweet food. No be good food #methinks#

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 10:16pm On Sep 10, 2013
need a 9ja babe that can cook for me,i'll pay for your services cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by write2obi(m): 10:18pm On Sep 10, 2013
All this talk about stew is making me hungry *yawn*
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 10, 2013
Read this about 10 mins ago
I'm still laughing grin grin
Nonso23: There are different types of stews

Poison stew: cooked by learners, taste it and marry your toilet throughout that week grin , time taken is of no consequence as this type of stew is meant for those attempting suicide and even i you spend days cooking it , it will still turn out the same( poison )

Emergency stew: 15mins max., cooked by college students, bachelors, etc, minimal ingredients, mainly throw everything and cook kind of stew.

Weekday stew: 20-30 mins max, cooked by spinsters, visiting girlfriends, sisters, etc. contains acceptable amounts of necessary ingredients. a little time is taken and it comes out quite good

SUNDAY STEW: COOKED STRICTLY BY MOTHERS I REPEAT MOTHERS . FOR THE FAMILY ON SUNDAYS AND MAYBE MONDAYS , 2-5 HOURS (COULD EVEN EXTEND BEYOND THAT IF THERE IS A SPECIAL VISITOR)., YOU MUST GO TO THE MARKET TO SOURCE FOR THE INGREDIENTS BEFORE HAND AS IT MUST BE PERFECT. CONTAINS ALL SWEET INGREDIENTS AND IS HARD TO RESIST.. THE AROMA ALONE COULD KNOCK YOU OUT AND IT IS ONLY ON THIS DAY BOYS AGREE TO HELP OUT IN THE KITCHEN BECAUSE OF THE BEHIND THE SCENE HANDOUTS THAT THEY RECIEVE.
I BELIEVE THIS IS THE STEW THE OP I TALKING ABOUT grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by dokunbam(m): 10:21pm On Sep 10, 2013
eddiebruk:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And you still dey go mama Nkechi...?

me mama nkechi lailai

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Finds Lizard In Ice Block He Bought (photos) / Foods You Love To Eat But Can't Anymore Since You Found Out How They're Made / Nigerian State Bans Consumption Of Coke, Fanta, Sprite At Its Events

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.