Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:45 AM

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (29992 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 11, 2013
whiteroses: Well so much ado about stew! Nigerians Can you eat this yucky looking polish traditional soup?? Try something really nutritious today tongue lol

Choi see POISON.
Na catfish dey swim inside that "e-coli" prone soup?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by anonimi: 12:16am On Sep 11, 2013
pkween: I love this topic.I think the best is to make a tomatoe/vegetable sauce instead of what we call stew .Steps to doing is is blend ur vegetables i.e the tomatoes,peppers.onion etc with a vegetable/maual blender or squeeze the tomatoes et al into a blender,bleend but not to total smoothness so u dnt have excess water and the fibre of the vegetables or flesh are not reduced to very tiny bit or paste so,it can still retain some of its nutrients. Futhermore,u heat up little vegetable oil for maybe 3-4mins to reduce the cholestero if any,put in the blended vegetables,add no water ,put in healthy spices and cook for some 4-5 mins and you are good to go.Try it today and u will be glad u did.

I believe this is approximately what is called sauce provencal and is used also for making chicken "peri peri" in restaurants.
Tastes nice and rapidly done.

Most of us do not realise that someone STARTED making stews in this OVERCOOKED way sometime based on the peculiar circumstances then. It might be time to START making stews DIFFERENTLY given our SEDENTARY (non-mobile) lifestyles to avoid the harmful related health issues.
What do you think is inside a POTBELLY

- undigested food
- digested food waiting to be expelled

- any other suggestion

#NuffSaid

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Angyee(f): 12:25am On Sep 11, 2013
1. I think one key thing is to use more red pepper (tatashe or sweet red pepper) than tomatoes. This helps to give it a lovely balanced but not overwhelming tomato taste. Also you don't have to cook it for too long because pepper doesn't take too long to cook.
2. The spices I use (when I want to be healthy and avoid msg) are: Rosemary (fresh and dry), Thyme, Basil (or nchianwu/ scent leaf and/or Curry leaves), Coriander, Nutmeg(just a little), Sage, Curry powder, Bay leaves, Salt, Ginger/ Garlic, Oregano.
3. Add the rosemary, thyme, basil (basically any herb you are adding) just as soon as the tomato starts cooking and cook on a medium heat. ( I usually just fry outright). This way the herb has a chance to infuse the food properly and the full essence of the herbs is achieved...this is how Italians cook their tomato 'sauce' (spaghetti, pasta sauce etc) to get it to taste nice. I find that rosemary is an absolute necessity when not using knorr or any msg product. When the tomato is almost done, then add the rest of the spice and allow to simmer until done so the spices are allowed to mix properly and taste well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by smartg(m): 12:30am On Sep 11, 2013
It Use to disturb my mind whenever am waiting for the water in d tomato to dry, especially when am very hungry.
I wish i could b cooking my stew without drying the water in the tomato, but i can't, cos am already used to it. But you know what?, one man food is another mans poison.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by armyofone(m): 12:30am On Sep 11, 2013
I like your stew. I can see navybeans in there. I love Mistrone and chili.

whiteroses: Well so much ado about stew! Nigerians Can you eat this yucky looking polish traditional soup?? Try something really nutritious today tongue lol

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 11, 2013
anonimi:

I believe this is approximately what is called sauce provencal and is used also for making chicken "peri peri" in restaurants.
Tastes nice and rapidly done.

Most of us do not realise that someone STARTED making stews in this OVERCOOKED way sometime based on the peculiar circumstances then. It might be time to START making stews DIFFERENTLY given our SEDENTARY (non-mobile) lifestyles to avoid the harmful related health issues.
What do you think is inside a POTBELLY

- undigested food
- digested food waiting to be expelled

- any other suggestion

#NuffSaid

Story story. The only reason we have pot bellies is due to idleness. We are no longer active. Don't blame the food. There is nothing killer about the way we prepare our foods. As a matter of fact, it is actually healthier because in Nigeria, we deal most with raw unprocessed foods and we need to cook them well. This is why you don't get rampant cases of e-coli and those diseases you get from beef/chicken that hasn't been properly cooked.

The stew definitely tastes better when cooked longer. It's simply what we engineers like to call oil/water/pepper emulsion. Water/oil/pepper won't mix under normal stp so you know your stew is properly cooked when it mixes and then the remaining over saturated oil comes out of the emulsion. In simple words, if you cook stew/soup in less than 20minutes, na only you go chop am.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 12:37am On Sep 11, 2013
tosomaju:
i av searched for it.........monosodium glutamate (msg). Thanks for bringing it to my knowledge
u most welcome
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by trolling(m): 12:41am On Sep 11, 2013
anonimi:

Why don't you give us the advantage of over-boiled, over-fried VEGETABLES such as tomatoes, onion, pepper etc.
We dey wait the outcome of the

- "proximate analysis" accompanied by
- the "very complex matrix" taking into consideration
- the "bioavailability" and "bio-accessibility"

Hope we will not have to wait too long for you to back up these your big big vocabulary trying to justify OVERCOOKING vegetables.
grammar too much,over sabi dey worry ppl cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by timowale: 1:15am On Sep 11, 2013
the truth is when we subject our food cooking them for a very long time as the custom is particularly in nigeria,a lot of nutrients is lost and the end product of such cooking comes with minimal nutritional value
for complementing these shortage of nutrients having by the table side extra plate containing freshly mashed pepper,tomatoes..offers some assistance.
i have seen this done before by westeners
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 11, 2013
i'm sorry but Nigerians don't know how to cook, stop calling the watery stuffs u put on fire stew, capiche? that's not stew, and definitively not what any sane human will call food.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by onila(f): 1:58am On Sep 11, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: i'm sorry but Nigerians don't know how to cook, stop calling he watery stuffs u put on fire stew, capiche? that's not stew, and definitively not what any sane human will call food.
shattap

better than eating plantain all day

Nigeria is known to have the best cuisine in Africa

nothing is better than garri/pounded with egusi soup or edidkakong
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 2:02am On Sep 11, 2013
onila: shattap

ah ah ah I almost forgot the famous garri , garri my foot. no wonder I heard they all have big belly in bakassi ah ah ..how can someone have garri as preferred food .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 2:03am On Sep 11, 2013
onila: shattap

well plantain is sweet very tasty. I understand that plantain is out of pocket for the average Nigerians
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by onila(f): 2:08am On Sep 11, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: well plantain is sweet very tasty. I understand that plantain is out of pocket for the average Nigerians

shut the f0ck up! the average Nigerian eats plantain for break fast or supper

garri is meant for lunch and not for breakfast. .because its too heavy for breakfast

lol see cameroonian calling Nigerians pocket dry..irony of dumbas.s using the internet
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by onila(f): 2:11am On Sep 11, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ah ah ah I almost forgot the famous garri , garri my foot. no wonder I heard they all have big belly in bakassi ah ah ..how can someone have garri as preferred food .
I so much hate plantain

i prefer yam

when they fry plantain for my sis, I ask for fried yam instead

garri makes our skin beautiful and plantain make the average cameroon women face wide and strong
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by druid06(m): 2:16am On Sep 11, 2013
There's a difference between SUNDAY STEW and your everyday STEW.

Sundays stew takes hours to cook with the frying of beef/chicken, plantain.

While your everday stew takes nothing more than half an hr to prepare.

Also, keep in mind that your method of preparation depends on how easily ready your stew would be. Always remember that stew cooked on gas taste better and is faster than those made on stove but the almighty firewood is the best of them all... wink wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by lafflaff123(m): 2:18am On Sep 11, 2013
The part I still don't get is the part people keep saying they are dying of hunger, while waiting for the stew to be properly cooked.

Una no get bread and akara for una street? That's what all confirmed bachelors do, eat something else while cooking something else.

Meanwhile there is no way any Nigeria student is spending even 20 mins to cook stew( u wan kill am) in my student days my Oil Stew(mixed with one stolen villager chicken) takes like 5 minutes to be cooked and the BOYS of room 15 to room 20 will eat it like a kings meal.

Women too like to cook long sef, maybe that's why men still dey patronise buka after una don carry boiling of tomato wan carry hungry kill am.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by druid06(m): 2:20am On Sep 11, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: i'm sorry but Nigerians don't know how to cook, stop calling the watery stuffs u put on fire stew, capiche? that's not stew, and definitively not what any sane human will call food.

WHAT!!!You must be kidding right?

Or was your statement meant to be sarcastic.

Either way, dude this is where I would never agree with you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 2:20am On Sep 11, 2013
timowale: the truth is when we subject our food cooking them for a very long time as the custom is particularly in nigeria,a lot of nutrients is lost and the end product of such cooking comes with minimal nutritional value
for complementing these shortage of nutrients having by the table side extra plate containing freshly mashed pepper,tomatoes..offers some assistance.
i have seen this done before by westeners

The fact that westerners do it, means we should too? Na wa oo. The same westerners, upon all your so-called nutrients that are still waking up to cancer, alzheimers and all the yama yama diseases of the world abi. Omo leave story. Naija stew/soup is sweet as is and that is ALL THAT MATTERS. If you can cook it in 5minutes and ensure it tastes as good as the one cooked for over 40minutes then good luck to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by soulglo: 2:44am On Sep 11, 2013

Wow. Honestly it looks like someone had diarrhea in that pot
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by adabeke12(f): 3:05am On Sep 11, 2013
Sweet stew na long time stew.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:28am On Sep 11, 2013
ogugua88: The other day we saw a thread complaining about fast food being unhealthy. Now slow food has dead nutrients. I just confuse.
E T Ts are confusing!! !

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Gudintent: 6:10am On Sep 11, 2013
2hr to cook stew

That is a new one to me
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by ShakurM(m): 6:46am On Sep 11, 2013
Human stupidity is infinite. angryHuman stupidity is infinite.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by livingstoneony(m): 7:16am On Sep 11, 2013
Fussbot: well,wen dis type of thread makes front page u already know what TIME it is
Abi o when there r far better posts. who gives a rats ass about how d damn stew was made. angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by ifyalways(f): 7:37am On Sep 11, 2013
I only fry my stews say once a month the other times,I do it the Ghana style.
Fresh tomatoes paste,fresh pepper paste,sliced raw onions,a little shitto and sardine : delish.

Omo tuo for life kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Mykikky: 7:40am On Sep 11, 2013
as for me my own dey take long time to done.i no fit eat evry body stew.if he like make all d vitatim die if i want vitamin i go eat fresh tomatoes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Talk To Us On your Varieties Food:Our Service Delivery Is Free And Affordable / Foods You Love To Eat But Can't Anymore Since You Found Out How They're Made / I Bought A Paint Of Garri N1200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.