Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Ancestry Visa To The Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ancestry Visa To The Uk (2694 Views)

How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / What Is The Requirements Of South African Study Visa To Nigerians? / Please I Really Need A Working Visa To Kuwait,oman,bahrian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ancestry Visa To The Uk by elctroguru(m): 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
ANCESTRY VISA TO THE UK
Many applicants from Commonwealth countries who can prove their descent from a grandparent born in the UK may be eligible to migrate to the UK for a period of 5 years.

After this time it may be possible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and British Nationality.

ANCESTRY VISA BASIC REQUIREMENTS
To obtain an Ancestry Visa it is necessary for you to fulfil the basic prerequisites set out by the UK Immigration Authorities.

You must be from a Commonwealth country, aged 17 or over and have a grandparent who was born in the UK.

In addition to that, you must also be able to work in the UK and be able to support yourself and any dependants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANCESTRY VISA ENTITLEMENTS
The Ancestry Visa entitles you to seek employment in the UK for a period of up to five years.

After five years you may be able to apply for permanent residence as long as you continue to meet the requirements of your Visa and demonstrate that you have been employed and not travelled outside the UK for longer than the allowed time periods.
Re: Ancestry Visa To The Uk by VOR(m): 12:40am On Jun 18, 2008
Very interesting for Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans and the like but how many Nigerians would have grandparents born in the uk?
Re: Ancestry Visa To The Uk by femigirl(f): 6:57am On Jun 18, 2008
IT ALSO APPLIES IF YOU HAVE A PARENT BORN IN THE UK

SEE THE DETAILS BELOW THAT I PREVIOUSLY POSTED, YOU BE AMAZED THE AMOUNT NIGERIANS THAT WERE BORN IN UK IN THE 40's&50's& 60

Guidance - UK Ancestry (INF 9)
Last updated 04 January 2008 This guidance explains what you need to do if you want to come to the United Kingdom (UK) under the ‘UK Ancestry’ arrangement, and what the Immigration Rules say. It is only a guide, but it aims to answer some common questions.
Do I qualify for UK Ancestry? Can I work in the UK? Do I need a work permit? How long can I stay? What happens after five years? Do I need a visa? What is a visa? How do I apply for a visa? What are visa application centres? Can my family join me in the UK? What will I need to make my application? What is 'biometric' information? What supporting documents should I include with my application? What will happen when I make my application? What are public funds? More advice and information Do I qualify for UK Ancestry?
You will qualify if you can show that:
you are a Commonwealth citizen you are aged 17 or over you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below) you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below) you are able to work and intend to do so in the UK, and you can support yourself and any dependants without needing any help from public funds.Note: if you or your parent (who you are claiming ancestry through) are adopted, you can still apply for entry to the UK under this category. You must show evidence of the legal adoption with your application form.
Back to questions
Can I work in the UK?
You must intend to work or look for a job in the UK before we can consider you for entry in this category.
Back to questions
Do I need a work permit?
No. You do not need a work permit.
Back to questions
How long can I stay?
If you arrive with a UK Ancestry visa, you will have permission to stay for five years.
Back to questions
What happens after five years?
After five years, you will be able to apply for permanent residence in the UK as long as:
you continue to meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules for United Kingdom Ancestry, and you have spent five years in employment in the UK in this way, without any long periods of time spent living outside the UK.You can get more information about applying for permanent residence from the UK Border Agency. Their contact details are under 'More advice and information' at the end of this guidance. The UK Border Agency will charge a non-refundable fee for an application to remain indefinitely in the UK.
Back to questions
Do I need a visa?
You must get a visa before you travel to the UK. You must apply in the country where you normally live.
Back to questions
What is a visa?
A visa is a certificate that is put into your passport or travel document by an Entry Clearance Officer at a British mission overseas. The visa gives you permission to enter the UK.
If you have a valid UK visa, we will not normally refuse you entry to the UK unless your circumstances have changed, or you gave false information or did not tell us important facts when you applied for your visa.
When you arrive in the UK, an Immigration Officer may ask you questions, so take all relevant documents in your hand luggage.
Back to questions
How do I apply for a visa?
You can apply in a number of ways, for example by post, by courier, in person and online. The visa section will tell you about the ways in which you can apply.
Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for your visa online please visit www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk.
If you cannot apply online you will need to fill in a visa application form VAF 2 – Employment. You can download the form from this website, or get one free of charge from your nearest visa application centre.
In some countries, if you are applying for a visa to stay in the UK for more than six months, you may need to be tested for active tuberculosis before we will accept your application. You can find out if you need to be tested by using our Do I need a visa? questionnaire on the homepage of this website, or by contacting your nearest visa application centre.
Back to questions
What are visa application centres?
In some countries, we are working with commercial companies to run visa application centres (VACs). The VACs are in largely populated areas, making it easier and more convenient for people to apply for a UK visa. Trained staff at each VAC deal with all visa enquiries and applications. They collect your biometric information (see the relevant section of this leaflet) along with the relevant fees, and provide unbiased, face-to-face advice on the application process, including whether or not you have included all the necessary documents. Entry clearance staff at the British mission will then consider your application and decide whether to issue or refuse your visa. VAC staff have no say in this decision.
Back to questions
Can my family join me in the UK?
Your husband, wife, civil partner or eligible partner and children under 18 years of age can join you in the UK if:
they have a visa for this purpose, and you can support them without needing any help from public funds.Back to questions
What will I need to make my application?
You will need to make your application online or fill in the following visa application form:

Application form VAF2 - Employment
Employment form guidance notes
You will also need the following:
Your passport or travel document. A recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm), colour photograph of yourself.
This should be:
taken against a light coloured background clear and of good quality, and not framed or backed printed on normal photographic paper, and full face and without sunglasses, hat or other head covering unless you wear this for cultural or religious reasons (but the face must not be covered).The visa fee. This cannot be refunded, and you must normally pay it in the local currency of the country where you are applying. Supporting documents relevant to your application.Back to questions
What is 'biometric' information?
All UK visa applicants, save for those benefiting from a limited number of exemptions and exceptions, are required to provide biometric data (10-digit fingerscans and a digital photograph) as part of the application process.
You will have to go to your nearest visa application centre in person to provide your biometrics. In those countries where there is no visa application centre, you will need to go to the British mission.
Your visa application will not be processed until you have provided the necessary biometric information. The finger scans are electronic so staff do not need to use any ink, liquid or chemicals. You will have your digital photograph taken at the same time and the whole procedure should take no more than five minutes to complete. You should make sure that you do not have any decoration (such as henna), or any cuts or other markings on your fingertips before having your finger scans. You should also make sure that if you have any cuts and bruises on your face, they have healed or disappeared before you have your photograph taken. Digital photographs must be of your full face and you should not wear sunglasses, a hat or any other head covering (unless you wear it for cultural or religious reasons but the face must not be covered).
Back to questions
What supporting documents should I include with my application?
You should include all the documents you can to show that you qualify for entry to the UK through UK Ancestry. If you do not, we may refuse your application.
As a guide, you should include:
Your full birth certificate. Marriage certificates of your parents and grandparents, and legal adoption papers if you or your parents are adopted. The full birth certificates of the parent and grandparent through whose ancestry you are making your application. Your marriage certificate or civil partnership registration document, if your husband, wife or civil partner intends to join you in the UK.We will refuse your application if we find that any documents are false.
Back to questions
What will happen when I make my application?
The Entry Clearance Officer will try to make a decision using your application form and the supporting documents you have provided. If this is not possible, they will need to interview you.
Please check your visa when you get it. You should make sure that:
your personal details are correct it correctly states the purpose for which you want to come to the UK, and it is valid for the date on which you want to travel. (You can ask for it to be post-dated for up to three months if you do not plan to travel immediately).If you think there is anything wrong with your visa, contact the visa section immediately.
Back to questions
What are public funds?
Under the Immigration Rules, if you want to travel to the UK you must be able to support yourself and live without claiming certain benefits. A full list of public funds is available on the UK Border Agency website.
You can find more information about public funds in the Immigration Directorate Instructions (IDIs) and Immigration Rules on the UK Border Agency website.
Back to questions
More advice and information
The UK Border Agency
For more advice and information about extending your stay once you are in the UK:
UK Border Agency
Croydon Public Caller Unit
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon CR9 2BY
Phone: (+44) (0)870 606 7766 (general enquiries)
Phone: (+44) (0)870 241 0645 (application forms)
Email: indpublicenquiries@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
UK Border Agency, Visa Services Directorate
London SW1A 2AH
Immigration Advisory Service (IAS)
The Immigration Advisory Service is the UK's largest charity providing advice and respresentation in asylum, immigration and nationality law. It has offices right accross the UK and abroad. It provides a free service to those who are eligible. It may also be able to help those who are not eligible. The IAS is a non-profit service.
Immigration Advisory Service
3rd Floor, County House
190 Great Dover Street
London SE1 4YB
Phone: (+44) (0)20 7967 1200
Phone: (+44) (0)20 8814 1559 (duty office open 24 hours a day)
Fax: (+44) (0)20 7403 5875
Email:advice@iasuk.org
Revenue and Customs
For advice on bringing personal belongings and goods into the UK contact:
HM Revenue & Customs
Dorset House
Stamford Street
London SE1 9PY
Phone: (+44) (0)845 010 9000
Drugs warning
Anyone found smuggling drugs into the UK will face serious penalties. Drug traffickers may try to bribe travellers. If you are travelling to the UK, avoid any involvement with drugs.
False documents
Travellers to the UK may commit an offence if they produce a false travel document or passport to the UK immigration authorities for themselves and their children. People found guilty of this offence face up to two years in prison or a fine (or both).
Alternative formats
In the UK we also have versions of our guidance notes in Braille, on audio tape and in large print. If you would like any guidance notes in one of these formats, please contact us:
UK Border Agency, Visa Services Directorate
London SW1A 2AH
Re: Ancestry Visa To The Uk by blunts007: 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2016
Pls house has anyone here applied for the uk ancestry visa..
Re: Ancestry Visa To The Uk by blunts007: 5:42pm On Dec 15, 2016
Perhaps any successful applicants in d house should say something.

(1) (Reply)

Query re: endorsement of new ePassport with details of an old expired passport / Will I Be Banned For Life From Entering United states of american / Belgium! Belgium! ! Belgium! ! !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.