Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

"Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage (8558 Views)

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / The Cultural Exchange....not All Rap Music Is Created Equal... / Most Frequently Used Insult In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by ViewPointNig: 12:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
History is replete with examples of how relatively small and unorganised warriors defied and repelled large invading armies. One such example is the case of the small and relatively unorganised tribes of Plateau, who through sheer determination, valour and temerity repelled the uthman Danfodio invading Jihadists from conquering and occupying their lands.

As a consequence, amongst all the states in the North and Middle-belt, Plateau state is perhaps the only state not conquered by the Fulani Jihadists. And therefore it maintained its heritage, as an enclave for small tribes and ethnic minorities who are 95% Christian or animists. Little wonder, when one travels the breath of Plateau –from Jos to Mikang and Lantang South; small tribes like the Berom, Ron Kulere, Mushere, Mupun, Mwaghavul, Angas, Taroh, Long Goemai etc are encountered.

However, this cultural heritage and geographical distribution of Plateau as described above is not represented in Google Earth. For the benefit of those who are not familiar with what Google Earth is; it is a satellite-based software (can be downloaded to phone or computer), which you can use to view your state, city, town, house, school etc.

If you access Google Earth, and search the term Plateau, Nigeria, you'd think the state was a conquered territory and is now occupied by a mainly Hausa/Fulani population, because the entire breath of the state is covered in Mosques –carefully situated in various local governments of the state. The map suggests that Plateau has approximately 12 mosques and only 6 churches.

In the light of this therefore, one would then ask the question; Are these religious buildings the major landmarks of Plateau? Are these the things that Plateau state is best known for? Are these what will attract tourists to our state? Who is behind this mis-representation? What could their motive be? Why is it that important landmarks such as the Riyom rock, Shere Hills, Assop falls, the Jos Wildlife park etc) are less conspicuous but Mosques feature prominently? Which Mosque in Plateau state is so famous that it deserves such prominent representation on Google Earth even more than landmarks like NASCO, JIB etc, Is the population of Plateau state really that Hausa/Fulani are the dominant? Why are there several Mosques in Mangu but the world famous "Swan Springwater" or the famous schools in Gindiri (the citadel of learning of Plateau) is not shown on the map, why is it that several mosques feature in the southern senatorial zone but the Pandang game reserve is not shown?

To the next matter; type-in Mangu, Nigeria and see what comes up. You'd see that next to Mangu itself is another town called Mangu Arna or "Mongu Arna" as they called it. Now, for the benefit of those who don't know what "Mongu Arna" means, it means Mangu for Infidels. "Arna" is a derogatory word used by Northerners to describe someone who is construed to not be of the Islamic faith. I have consulted widely with inhabitants of Mangu to confirm if such a place exists, but all have confirmed that it doesn't but they all claim to have heard it being used in Hausa/Fulani circles. They claim, that Mangu Arna is what the local Hausa Fulani Inhabitants call the main centre of Mangu Local government which is inhabited by Christians and Animists, whilst Mangu Hale –a suburb of Mangu, they refer to as "Mangu Hausawa". With the representation of Mangu Arna or "Mongu Arna" (a derogatory and fictitious name) into Google Earth, it is clear that certain Northern elements are trying to distort and re-write the political and cultural heritage of Plateau people. Below is a snap shot of Mangu from Google Earth.It is therefore shameful and unfortunate that a reputable organisation like "Google", would allowed mischievous Northern elements to infiltrate its folds and continue to attempt the realisation of their hitherto abandoned expansionist agenda. It is however not surprising because these Northern folks are known for their foresight and astute vision; continuously strategizing on ways to expand their influence and horizon by dominating ethnic minorities in Plateau, Benue, Taraba, Southern Kaduna etc. The thought that Google can be caught in such a scandal sends chills up my spine. One thought that such nonsensical situations were only possible in our deranged and confused Nigerian state, where the ultimate law of the land is continuously trounced to allow the implementation of controversial principles such as sharia banking and legislation, but it appears even multi-nationals are not immune to such political manoeuvrings. It would not be far fetch to argue thus: if Plateau state is not careful its cultural and geo-political heritage will be completely distorted, and posterity shall judge us for being so complacent.

In the light of the above arguments, what should illustrious sons of Mangu local government do about the issue? Well, in my opinion –the traditional chief of Mangu and the Chairman of Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA) should write a strongly worded complaint (through the Plateau state government) to Google Nigeria, firstly outlining the derogatory meaning of "Mangu Arna" and then stating that such a place does not exist and then conclude that it be amended or removed immediately.

To read more: http://www.viewpointnigeria.com/opinion-mob/item/556-mangu-arna-an-insult-to-the-cultural-heritage-of-plateau-people

2 Likes

Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by timsarb: 10:33am On Sep 10, 2013
mangu is a local govt area in Plateau state. a beautiful terrain, a fertile ground for agriculture and with a well mannered inhabitants. Plateau, my beautiful Plateau oh! wink

2 Likes

Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by Zonacom(m): 1:11pm On Sep 10, 2013
Not surprised at all. The Hausa man has so dominated the entire north to the extent that most of the minority tribes in the middle belt are almost unknown to other parts of nigeria.
Having stayed on the plateau for long(though an igbo guy), i understand quite well the feelings of the writer. But i must say that the middle belterns have some share of the fault by almost abandoning their various dialects for hausa language in the name of civilization.
Just recently, a friend of mine from jos south was somehow complaining about the way igbos in the east refer to some tribes from plateau as 'ndi hausa'(hausa people). The guy felt that igbos are wicked for seeing them as hausa people. I told the guy that the main problem is with them(the middle belterns) cos they've virtually sold themselves out to the hausa folks.
Finally, for the minority tribes of the north central states to free themselves from the dominance of their hausa neighbours, it would require a lot of fight.
Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by Zonacom(m): 1:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
And about the Mangu-Arna tin, i think the over welcoming attitude of the mwaghavul man is to blame here. I know mangu quite well. Without exageration i can say mangu area is the highest producer of maize and like comodities in this country. Every week, many trucks transport huge quantity of agricultural produce from the town down to the southern part of the country. Mangu also plays host to a lot of non indegenes ranging from hausas, igbos, yorubas and many other ethnic groups. This i can say is because of the relatively low cost of living in the town.
The mwaghavul people constitute morethan 90% of the indegenous population and morethan 70% of them are christians. But the little muslim population in the area are waxing stronger and building more mosques and islamic institutions. The hausa muslims, being very cunning are gradually buying many lands and landed properties all around the area thereby making them very powerful. And the mwaghavul people on their part have been foolishly selling out their lands to the hausas(just like the berom did in jos north back then). Also, a lot of hausa males marry the mwaghavul females thereby converting them to islam but you would hardly see any christian male getting married to a hausa girl. And the annoying thing to me here is that the hausa residents in mangu see the mwaghavul people as fools. Just like the writer put it, they(hausas) view every other non-hausa residents of the area as 'arna'.
Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by Nowenuse: 2:40pm On Nov 02, 2013
I am from Mangu LGA, nd Pls the name 'Mangu arna' is no longer recognised and is officially known as 'Mangu main town' while the area known as 'Mangu hausawa' of before now called 'Mangu halle' in d native mwaghavul language. All of dat was a scheme of d hausa expansion ova plateau comunities, there used to b a lot of hausa settlers in dat area, but since d various Jos crisis, most of then have fled.
Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by MeAboki(m): 9:26pm On Nov 02, 2013
@OP:
Google is an international company with Hq somewhere in America, why blame the Hausa man who has nothing to do with the company for any misrepresentation of your ppl?
Shouldn't the blame rest squarely with you guys? Whats stopping you or anybody from your area from contacting Google and asking them to rectify the error? How was the Hausaman able to infiltrate Google and if so, where were you when he was able to do so?
The ball is in your court, do something and stop moaning.
Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by Yujin(m): 7:10am On Nov 09, 2013
I'm glad that one of the various deliberate misrepresentations in the middlebelt and Plateau specifically has been discovered however, the necessary questions should be asked and the corrections should be made else they all would be extinct in no distant future.
The Hausa-Fulanis are mean and would go to any length to achieve their aim and somehow the western world seem to favour them.
In a nutshell, the middlebelters should do something and do it very fast.
Re: "Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage by SUBMARINE: 11:43am On Nov 09, 2013
Yujin how u dey when u go leave south.

(1) (Reply)

Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin / Nairalanders, On Behalf Of The Whole Of Horn Of Africa... / Language Clarification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.