Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! (2026 Views)

6 Foreign Workers Kidnapped In Bauchi State - Police / Three Foreign Oil Workers Kidnapped In Port Harcourt / Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by naijacutee(f): 12:20pm On Jun 02, 2006
Fellow Nigerians, We have done it again

Eight foreign oil workers have been kidnapped from an offshore oil rig in Nigeria, the rig's owner says.
The Nigerian military says six Britons, a Canadian and a US national were seized by armed men in the Niger Delta. No-one has admitted responsibility.

The rig sent out a distress call, saying it was under attack from between 20 and 30 men in speedboats.

There has been a spate of recent attacks in the region by militants, who want more local control of oil wealth.

They have kidnapped oil workers and warned them to leave the Delta.

The upsurge of attacks on foreign oil interests has cut Nigeria's oil production by 25%, which has been a key factor in the high world price of crude oil.

"Some unknown persons boarded the rig at 0300 [local time, 0200 GMT] and took eight workers," an executive from one of the companies that operate the Bulford Dolphin rig told Reuters news agency.

The rig is about 20km off the coast.

In April, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) renewed its threat to continue oil installation attacks.

It said the offer of thousands more jobs and a new motorway from President Olusegun Obasanjo did not address its demands for more local control of oil wealth and demilitarisation.

Since then the group has claimed responsibility for two car bomb attacks, one of which it said was a warning against Chinese expansion in the region.

Source : BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/5040768.stm
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Greatpeter(m): 12:30pm On Jun 02, 2006
What do they want again?
I we should so something about this.
It's not good for us as a nation.
It's bad for our economy.
It' a bad image for us.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Badman888(m): 12:39pm On Jun 02, 2006
6 british people and american and canadian, this is getting out of had the government dont even talk much about this wats on their mind now is election,
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by food4tot: 12:54pm On Jun 02, 2006
Greatpeter:

What do they want again?
I we should so something about this.
It's not good for us as a nation.
It's bad for our economy.
It' a bad image for us.

They usually want money and then add that they are fighting pollution. Why don't they use the money to build roads rather than buy land, build houses, buy cars, sponsor thugs, gather girls and if there is any left, send it to a swiss account.

. . . ha, that was old story (during military regime) Now they want to control the oil sector. Its still money indirectly though.

Whether you cut the head or you cut the neck, all na the same.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by vichel(m): 1:26pm On Jun 02, 2006
What exactly is the Nigerian military doing about this, it is getting out of hand, and somebody should do something to stop it.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by OldGlory1(m): 1:30pm On Jun 02, 2006
The Nigerian Military? Huh!! Please do not hold your breath!
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Orikinla(m): 1:40pm On Jun 02, 2006
The Nigerian military invaded Okrika in Bonny some days ago and over 10 militants were killed.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by otokx(m): 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2006
is the nigerian military trained to engage those people in the creeks? the government has said that no ransome money is paid to those kidnappers yet it is becoming the order of the day. the educated youth in the niger delta is peace loving and abhors violence as it will not get us very far if at all it will take us somewhere.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by twinstaiye(m): 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2006
That is the problem of negotiating with kidnappers. Once they got away with one, they are inclined to do more. I guess the government is paying the ransome, so once they spent it finish, they want more money and they do more kidnapping. Tha tis why advanced countries will never negotiate with any millitants.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by dafman(m): 4:34pm On Jun 02, 2006
This is really getting out of hand, the government is taking things for granted this is how rebels started, the government should stop negotiating with the militants because they would always come back for more, what are the security forces for - opressing innocent civilians? they can't even get a single militant yet they brag about their exploits in peace keeping missions.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by babadee(m): 5:27pm On Jun 02, 2006
the ND peeps have been pushed to the wall and i guess they are pushing back the only way they can so the only soluton is dialogue which will result in development and not building roads or boreholes.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Orikinla(m): 7:42pm On Jun 02, 2006
Please, read the full text of this interview of Black Scorpion, Brig. Gen Benjamin Adekunle
in the Sun News Online.

A country producing crude oil is paying more for crude oil, for kerosene, for petrol, for engine oil than other countries that get their supplies from Nigeria. Those countries don’t pay one third of what we pay locally. Maybe it’s because he comes from a poor family and he wants people to suffer the way he has suffered.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2006/june/02/national-02-06-2006-006.htm

It is better to know the facts of the realities in Nigeria from someone who is an authority in the history of Nigeria.

Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by spikelord(m): 9:02pm On Jun 02, 2006
Na dem sabi!
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Love44(f): 2:30am On Jun 03, 2006
The Hausa are the people that have destroyed Nigeria. I mean these people are so stupid and also not intelligent to rule Nigeria. When they travel to European countries they only go there to use the bathroom and do not want to see the development that is going on over there. If Nigeria only had the southern people the country would have been so developed. The Hausa want us to live in stone aged with them, but it will not happen as far as i am alive. I think the Hausa should not open their mouth anymore to rule this country after what they did to Nigeria to select Sani Abacha who stole almost all the money in to rule Nigeria. As far Nigeria still the so call Hausa we will alway be a failure because they do not want the country to develop because they want military to come and rule the country so that they will steal the oil money from Niger Delta. The cry of Niger Deltan will punish the Hausa for destroying Nigeria. Good luck to them.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Mariory(m): 11:50am On Jun 03, 2006
@Love44
I'm willing to take a chance and bet you do not currently live in Nigeria.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by otokx(m): 12:24pm On Jun 03, 2006
@love 44, i don't understand what you are trying to say.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Hunter(m): 2:10pm On Jun 03, 2006
@love44

Prove to me that one racial group is worse than another, I need scientific evidence how they are "lesser" or if I ever meet you should I be saying heil hitler.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Chxta(m): 3:12pm On Jun 03, 2006
:yawn:
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Love44(f): 3:25am On Jun 04, 2006
What i mean is that the North should not be allow to become Nigerian president since they have been in power for 35 years because there is nothing to show for it.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by DaHitler(m): 3:43am On Jun 04, 2006
Love44, I too think it is very risky to allow the north to become president within the next 20 years.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by naijacutee(f): 12:08am On Jun 05, 2006
*sniff* *sniff*Do I smell an ethnic war?
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by DaHitler(m): 12:12am On Jun 05, 2006
Naijacutee, I hope you have a good nose. cheesy
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by OldGlory1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 05, 2006
I thought they have released the Hostages? Like yesterday or so?
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by Otiman(m): 7:32am On Jun 16, 2009
life no bi small thing, so all oil workers make una leave ur work go sleep for house, make no another hijackers come kidnapped una again,
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by ttruth(m): 4:19pm On Jan 20, 2010
@post :

What is the government doing about it ? Why do we have a government in the first place ?

Na wa O !!! Lawless country !!!
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by ziga: 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2010
t.truth:

@post :

What is the government doing about it ? Why do we have a government in the first place ?

Na wa O !!! Lawless country !!!

That post was since 2006. A lot more has happened since then.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by babzo(m): 11:16am On Jul 01, 2021
Wow!!!! Nigeria, 15 years ago! You will think 2006 and 2021 are the same.
Re: Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! by ogododo: 11:21am On Jul 01, 2021
naijacutee:
Fellow Nigerians, We have done it again

Eight foreign oil workers have been kidnapped from an offshore oil rig in Nigeria, the rig's owner says.
The Nigerian military says six Britons, a Canadian and a US national were seized by armed men in the Niger Delta. No-one has admitted responsibility.

The rig sent out a distress call, saying it was under attack from between 20 and 30 men in speedboats.

There has been a spate of recent attacks in the region by militants, who want more local control of oil wealth.

They have kidnapped oil workers and warned them to leave the Delta.

The upsurge of attacks on foreign oil interests has cut Nigeria's oil production by 25%, which has been a key factor in the high world price of crude oil.

"Some unknown persons boarded the rig at 0300 [local time, 0200 GMT] and took eight workers," an executive from one of the companies that operate the Bulford Dolphin rig told Reuters news agency.

The rig is about 20km off the coast.

In April, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) renewed its threat to continue oil installation attacks.

It said the offer of thousands more jobs and a new motorway from President Olusegun Obasanjo did not address its demands for more local control of oil wealth and demilitarisation.

Since then the group has claimed responsibility for two car bomb attacks, one of which it said was a warning against Chinese expansion in the region.

Source : BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/5040768.stm

Big lie of 2006!

(1) (Reply)

Former State Governor Arrested For Graft / Jonathan Stranded In Uganda As Presidential Jet Develops Fault ! / Jonathan Is An Incurable Mediocrity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.