Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates (1242 Views)

First International Flight Lands At Enugu Airport Amidst Jubilation / First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August / Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates by nigerianphoenix: 1:32pm On Sep 10, 2013
Hello everyone.
In a few days, I will be traveling to the U.S. I have no experience with international flights. Can you guys tell me what to expect on the flight and at both airports? Which documents should I take with me? I'm flying with emirates airlines. This means that I'll have a layover in Dubai. Any advice for me regarding that? I'll also take a flight to O'Hare from JFK. How do I move from one terminal to another in JFK? Any miscellaneous advice for me?
Thanks!
Re: Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates by dayleke: 2:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
Hello OP,

Have never travelled with Emirates airline before so I wouldn't know what to tell you about
the layover part but as long as your papers are genuine and in order,you got no worries.
Most likely you shall be arriving at terminal 4 at JFK and you need to clear customs and immigration
before connecting with your flight to "chi town".
One thing about the customs and border protection/immigration is that they don't joke and they will
scrutinize your papers to make sure they are in order and also ask you questions too.

Good luck.
Re: Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates by ifegy: 3:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
At the Lagos airport you'll need to go the counter for your outbound flight, get checked by customs/immigration, pass through security screening, and then go to the gate for your flight. Your luggage should be checked all the way through to JFK (ie, you shouldn't have to pick it up at your layover point and recheck it); you can clarify this at MMIA.
There will be lots of signs in the airports that you can follow to identify what gate to go to for your flight, where to pick up your luggage, where to go to pass through immigration, etc. Plus, most of the people that you are flying with will be heading in the same general direction, so you can just go with the flow.
There are also usually information spots in airports where you can ask questions if you don't know where to go. Or you can just stop someone in a uniform and ask.
You'll need valid travel documents (passport, with visa if needed). You'll also be given US immigration cards to fill out on board the flight, before you get to JFK, with your personal info, where you're going, etc. You'll have to present these to immigration when you arrive.
All in all, it does work out to be pretty straightforward, as long as you're a legit traveller! All the best!
Re: Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates by dayleke: 3:16pm On Sep 10, 2013
Pls OP,
Let's know as it goes.
Bon voyage.

PS;Also try and eat some solid food at home and be "belle full" 'cos those crappy meals they serve on
the aircraft is well crappy,lol.
Don't let the excitement of a first timer get to you,come and thank me later.
Also DO NOT take any food that can be linked with chicken or beef with you,
Customs in Yankee will throw them out even if you pay to get them out of Naija.
Re: Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates by nigerianphoenix: 10:27am On Sep 14, 2013
Thanks guys! I'll post about my experiences when I get to Chicago next week.
Re: Advice Needed: First International Flight, Lagos To JFK, Emirates by dayleke: 7:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
Have a safe trip.

(1) (Reply)

Before You Travel: 10 Easiest Foreign Languages To Learn. / 10 Different Types Of People You Will Meet At The Nigeria International Airports / Five Die In Fatal Accident On Their Way To Kaduna (Very Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.