Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? (2877 Views)

HELP:: How Do I Make This Long Distance Relationship Work! / Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds / Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by jidex89200(m): 6:07am On Jun 19, 2008
I live about 12 hours away from my Girlfriend (to be) but we are thinking about how to make the relationship work. As for me, i really want to make it work but i dont know about her. Has anyone ever had a long distance relationship and what did you do to make it work.
Any tips please.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by acidrop(f): 6:12am On Jun 19, 2008
hmmmm, the best way to make it work is have an open relationship
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by iseobio(m): 6:26am On Jun 19, 2008
both of you have to be truthful to your selves and be realistic about your expectations.
Sometimes long distance relationship really serve to test how committed you are to each other.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by CH3COO(m): 6:38am On Jun 19, 2008
Trust. Commitment. Lots of phone calls.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by simplycute(m): 6:59am On Jun 19, 2008
@CH3COO Trust. Commitment. Lots of phone calls.

yeah you are right
I'm in Lagos and my gurl works in PH men e no easy ooooooo it involves lot of commitment and enuff burning of recharge cards
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by Alapomeji1: 7:41am On Jun 19, 2008
@CH3COO  Trust. Commitment. Lots of phone calls.

yeah you are right
I'm in Lagos and my girl works in PH men e no easy ooooooo it involves lot of commitment and enough burning of recharge cards

Guyz i cant fault this at all, i am in it n i can tell u how much i spend in calling.

Poster,

call often n pay her surprise visit often. u will be committed n it will work.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by cooldude62(m): 7:48am On Jun 19, 2008
acidrop:

hmmmm, the best way to make it work is have an open relationship
whats that if i may ask?
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by Rlst84sale(m): 8:03am On Jun 19, 2008
I think you should only do it if that's all the option you have, if the phone calls are free or close to free, or move closer to each other. Don't crucify me that's just my view.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by ievbuomw(f): 8:11am On Jun 19, 2008
My husband and i were together for 3 years before we got married and the last year before our marriage was long distance due to school (I lived in Indiana he in New York). If your love is strong you will bend over backwards to make sure things worked. We saw each other only 3 times that year (my birthday, thanksgiving, and christmas) and things were fine. It takes love and discipline. You guys will be fine good luck  wink
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by SENATORJD(m): 8:52am On Jun 19, 2008
iseobio:

both of you have to be truthful to your selves and be realistic about your expectations.
Sometimes long distance relationship really serve to test how committed you are to each other.
yeah true
dont expect so much knowing the distance is there, i am about 6hrs away from my girlfriend and we have had to make compromises and not demanded so much from each other, u have work to consider, time factor and a lot
and like someone rightly wrote about calls and all,
since u wont be seing each other much try to talk at least everyday(doesn't need to be long) so u'd know the happenings in each others life.
simple things like how was ur day?how was work/school?how far with this and that? do u need anything?is there anything troubling ur mind? anything that u feel would help YOU guys
its gonna be pretty expensive ,but for me it works, it would make the distance feel closer cos u know what she's going through and vice versa.
she might not be there to hold u when u need her and vice versa, so u'd need to build up urselves to go through issues if/when they arise.
wish u d best bro cos trust me it aint exactly easy but with a whole lot of commitment, trust, compromise and God
u'd make it through.
cheers cool
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by marydre: 4:39pm On Jun 19, 2008
I'm in it and i can tell you it aint easy at all especially if the distance is across the border. Well the relationship has to be open, both parties must be faithful, truthful,there must be love, lots of phonecalls above all the relationship has to be tabled before God with lots of prayers. All these has been working for me. For two yrs now we havent seen but our love is stronger compare to those who see everyday.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by tngtech(m): 4:49pm On Jun 19, 2008
@poster

there is no way a long distance relationship can work. Believe me.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by Busta(f): 4:51pm On Jun 19, 2008
Long Distance don't WORK!!!

when will u pple ever get it?
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by tngtech(m): 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2008
Busta:

Long Distance don't WORK!!!

when will u people ever get it?

the next generation.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by Busta(f): 4:54pm On Jun 19, 2008
tngtech:

the next generation.

lol . . lets hope so
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by Uche2nna(m): 4:56pm On Jun 19, 2008
If I aint seeing U, then I aint feeling U. Thats what I think about long distance relationships.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by shylladear(f): 5:02pm On Jun 19, 2008
@poster
long distance relationships dont work for the fact u guys dont see each and other things
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by shylladear(f): 5:04pm On Jun 19, 2008
@busta
i also hope so

@uche2nna
thats it
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by SENATORJD(m): 5:30pm On Jun 19, 2008
@poster
dude its all up to u man, it sure works but it aint easy u just gotta put ur heart to it aight

@marydre damn gal i feel u and would pray that all eventually goes well with urself and him
cheers
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by joecooper(m): 5:46pm On Jun 19, 2008
Hey dude, to be very frank wid u, it ain't eazy bt it all left to you to play your game tight

i was in such shit lately, bt i called ma chick one day and all i get was that she aint interested in the shit again

well good luck! wink
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by ifyalways(f): 5:48pm On Jun 19, 2008
lots of trust,maturity,its really difficult but it works.lol,ama witness cheesy
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by kpizzle: 8:55pm On Jun 19, 2008
am also invoved in a long distance relationsip for the past 6months.

I want to use this oppurtunity to thank MTN for free midnite calls, that has been so helpful.

You guys need to believe in yourselves and it would work.

all the best.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by gabelogan(m): 1:54am On Jun 20, 2008
@ POSTER

THEY DONT WORK AT ALL, IVE BEEN IN TWO AND THEY CRUMBLED, AT LEAST ONE LASTED A COUPLE OF MONTHS.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT, OUT OF SIGHT IS OUT OF MIND.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by gabelogan(m): 2:06am On Jun 20, 2008
studentetc:

@ Gabe

sometimes they work. maybe you just don't know how to work it. depends on where you want the relationship to head.

I DNT THINK THAT IS THE CASE. WOMEN NATURALLY ARE CONFUSED CREATURES, MOST OF THE TIME THEY CANT SEEM TO MAKE UP THEIR MIND. THE STORIES ARE PATHETIC AND SIMILAR IN EXECUTION THATS WHY I BELIEVE LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIPS DONT WORK.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by jgirl3: 2:09am On Jun 20, 2008
I agree with acid.
Make the Long distance relationship an open relationship. If not, it will never work.
It's filled with heartaches, pain and most importantly a lot of misunderstanding. cry
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by manmustwac(m): 9:52pm On Jun 21, 2008
Have an open relationship *period*
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by vennyboy2k(m): 12:48pm On Jul 15, 2008
Hi PPl, with all due respect Acid drop,what makes you think an open relationship is the answer, or r u trying to destroy d boi's relationship ?. manmustwac, Listen bruv, i'm in one right now, my girl is in Lagos(Nigeria) i'm in London we've been 2geva 4 4 yrs since secondary school and we still are. The key is communicationand trust as well as self confidence(i.e no one else can replace you in her life. Try to find out d topix she is intrested in and call her like every week(don't call too much or she'll get bored) and if you have doubts about her honesty try to get some friend to keep an eye on her and return d info 2 u. Don't listen to acid drop or the relationship is doomed before it even starts, coz an open relationship is no relationship, plus don't cheat on her either.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by SENATORJD(m): 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2008
vennyboy2k:

Hi PPl, with all due respect Acid drop,what makes you think an open relationship is the answer, or r u trying to destroy d boi's relationship ?. manmustwac, Listen bruv, i'm in one right now, my girl is in Lagos(Nigeria) i'm in London we've been 2geva 4 4 years since secondary school and we still are. The key is communicationand trust as well as self confidence(i.e no one else can replace you in her life. Try to find out d topix she is intrested in and call her like every week(don't call too much or she'll get bored) and if you have doubts about her honesty try to get some friend to keep an eye on her and return d info 2 u. Don't listen to acid drop or the relationship is doomed before it even starts, because an open relationship is no relationship, plus don't cheat on her either.
loved your point except the one highlited.
if u trust her well enough and have doubts ask her about it that why its a relationship between the two of u and not a third party. why make ur friend keep an eye on her?it proves u cant trust her words
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by powerblaze(m): 4:29pm On Jul 15, 2008
Well, the major ingredients for a successful relationship is TRUST and TIME. you won't go far if you don't trust the other. And you get to entwine your hearts together as you spend more time together. However, not everyone is a Distance Material. My first relationship crashed because i had to school far away from her. My second relationship soared because she was ever strong even in the huge space that separated us. She told me things on phone that nearly made me cry, and practically nullified all attempts by other ladies to steal me away from her(ladies man!).

THE CONCLUSION OF THE WHOLE MATTER. FIND THE RIGHT PERSON, THEN YOU'LL HAVE LESS WORDS TO SAY, AND PROBABLY LESS EXCUSES TO GIVE, COZ THE TRUST WILL OVERPOWER THE DISTANCE.

PEACE
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by sshh(f): 12:09pm On Jul 16, 2008
it depends cant really say
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by segzicres(m): 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
long distance will only give anyone a chance to cheat without being caught. b ready to go back to ur village b'cos ur goin to make ur service provider rich.
Re: How Do You Make A Long Distance Relationship Work? by micklplus(m): 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2008
From experience, i doubt if its going to work.
I was in such for a little above two years ! Everything was really cool and we really tried to make it work. She was in U.S and i was in Lagos. lot of calls and other things u dont even want to imagine ! I later found out she was messing up through her friend which was authoritatively confirmed to me.

O boy, try and protect your heart and make sure your shock absorber is intact so that, when yawa gas, u wont be left high and dry.

I wish you the very best of luck.
Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies Can You Marry Serious, Honest, Intelligent But Jobless Guy? / She's 18, And She Threatens Fire And Brimstone!!! / Why Do Men Take Pleasure In Hitting A Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.