Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,070 members, 7,807,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies (3246 Views)

Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Harry Potter Actor, Dies Aged 69 / Who Is The Greater Wizard Between Harry Potter And Merlin? / 'Lord Of The Rings' Or 'Harry Potter' Movie? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 12, 2013
[b]

JK Rowling is to make her screenwriting debut in a new Harry Potter-themed film series, Warner Bros has announced.

The first film of the series will be titled Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Warner Bros said the film series was part of an "expanded creative partnership" with the best-selling author.

The eight Harry Potter films are the largest-grossing film franchise in history.

"I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”
JK Rowling

The new film will feature Newt Scamander, the fictional author of the textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, owned by Harry Potter at Hogwarts school.

Warner Bros has given no indication as to when the film could go into production.

"It all started when Warner Bros came to me with the suggestion of turning Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them into a film," said Rowling.

"I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of Fantastic Beasts, realised by another writer was difficult.

"Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

She went on: "As I considered Warners' proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn't dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

"Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for 17 years, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world.

"The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt's story will start in New York, 70 years before Harry's gets underway."

Rowling added: "I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it."

Blockbuster franchise
Warner Bros also announced that it would serve as the worldwide TV distributor (excluding the UK) for the upcoming BBC TV adaptation of Rowling's recent adult novel The Casual Vacancy. It is expected to air in 2014.

The Harry Potter films made global stars of Daniel Radcliffe (Harry), Emma Watson (Hermione) and Rupert Grint (Ron)

More than 450 million copies of Rowling's seven Potter books have been sold worldwide.

She also wrote two small volumes, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages - both named after Harry's schoolbooks within the novels. They were published in March 2001 in aid of Comic Relief.

Another Potter spin-off book, The Tales of Beedle the Bard, followed in December 2008.

The Harry Potter novels, about a boy wizard who survives the attack that kills his parents, became a worldwide phenomenon and were turned into eight blockbuster Warner Bros films starring Daniel Radcliffe.
The films have grossed more than $7.7bn (£4.8bn) to date worldwide at the box office, making Harry Potter the largest-grossing film franchise in history.
[/b]
_
BBC
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by deeobserver209(m): 5:17pm On Sep 12, 2013
Although I don't condone the art of magic, Harry Potter still remains one of my best movies ever together with The Matrix.
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by UjSizzle(f): 6:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
Expelliamus!!
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 12, 2013
More of Harry ? Its rubbish undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2013
adaobi123: More of Harry ? Its rubbish undecided undecided
_

It's a spin-off, set way before the time of Ha...did you even read the article?
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
SimonAndal:
_

It's a spin-off, set way before the time of Ha...did you even read the article?

I did. Its harry potter themed. I ain't watching. undecided
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by deeobserver209(m): 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2013
uj_sizzle: Expelliamus!!
Expecto momentum... (whupss) I mean Patronum
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by UjSizzle(f): 7:13pm On Sep 12, 2013
deeobserver209:
Expecto momentum
Expecto Patronum grin
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by deeobserver209(m): 7:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Expecto Patronum grin
Obliviate
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by pasqal09: 7:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
Stupefy!
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by yfo: 7:55pm On Sep 12, 2013
well, I hope she writes their novels cuz after reading d books....

how d hell do u wanna enjoy d movies anymore!.........@least not me undecided

1 Like

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by pasqal09: 7:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
y-fo:
well, I hope she writes their novels cuz after reading d books....

how d hell do u wanna enjoy d movies anymore!.........@least not me undecided

I read the books before watching the movies. I didn't enjoy it at all.

1 Like

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2013

Crucio!
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by yfo: 8:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
adaobi123:

I did. Its harry potter themed. I ain't watching. undecided

wow, thought u'd be interested in such movies....I'm guessing its cuz there's magic involved

then u must be a twilight fan...?
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by yfo: 8:09pm On Sep 12, 2013
pasqal09:

I read the books before watching the movies. I didn't enjoy it at all.

seems after reading novels, d movies seem lame in comparism....

just finished d twilight series (novels) but haven't watched d films yet cuz I feel I'll hate it just like I did harry potter.....any1 with experience on my case got any advice for me?
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 12, 2013
y-fo:

wow, thought u'd be interested in such movies....I'm guessing its cuz there's magic involved

then u must be a twilight fan...?

Lol. I find it so boring. I always switch to another channel when it's on.

GOD FORBID. TWILIGHT IS RUBBISH UPON RUBBISH. WORST FILM EVER angry

2 Likes

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Vivly(f): 8:32pm On Sep 12, 2013
Avada kedava
imperio
crucio
riddikulus
wingardium leviosa
sectumsempria
lumos
Really cant forget these spells. They work for me......... Kidding.
bebe u wan finish all the spells?

I love the part where Hermione says, "It's Leviosa not Leviosarr" grin wonderful accent smiley

1 Like

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by yfo: 8:39pm On Sep 12, 2013
adaobi123:

Lol. I find it so boring. I always switch to another channel when it's on.

GOD FORBID. TWILIGHT IS RUBBISH UPON RUBBISH. WORSE FILM EVER angry

hmmmm...ur case gidi gon o, not liking h.p n twilight...na wa o shocked

can't remember any other huge franchise like those two...if I didn't know better, i'd swear that u in your middle-ages or there-about cheesy
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by pasqal09: 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2013
Alohamora!
Infinite incantatum!
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 12, 2013
y-fo:

hmmmm...ur case gidi gon o, not liking h.p n twilight...na wa o shocked

can't remember any other huge franchise like those two...if I didn't know better, i'd swear that u in your middle-ages or there-about cheesy

Movies like Harry Potter and twilight don't interest me.

I like movies Salt, olympus has fallen - basically action movies that involve a lot of gun shooting.

And some romantic ones embarassed
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by yfo: 9:04pm On Sep 12, 2013
adaobi123:

Movies like Harry Potter and twilight don't interest me.

I like movies Salt, olympus has fallen - basically action movies that involve a lot of gun shooting.

And some romantic ones embarassed

to each his own....when I come avisiting, imma change your mind-set

till then, enjoy d gun-swinging hunks u like... wink
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 1:50am On Sep 13, 2013
As much as I love Fantasy, God knows I'm tired of Harry Potter.

I will pass smiley
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by deeobserver209(m): 7:15am On Sep 13, 2013
Vivly: Avada kedava
imperio
crucio
riddikulus
wingardium leviosa
sectumsempria
lumos
Really cant forget these spells. They work for me......... Kidding.
bebe u wan finish all the spells?

I love the part where Hermione says, "It's Leviosa not Leviosarr" grin wonderful accent smiley

Remember when Ron and Harry were trying to find dates for the dance prom and were constantly turned down during the Tri-Wizards cup? My favorite part was when Ron saw Victor Krum with hermione at the dance hull. He was furious.

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Vivly(f): 8:11am On Sep 13, 2013
^ lol. I remember. Harry potter and the Goblet of fire is my favorite.
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by deeobserver209(m): 8:56am On Sep 13, 2013
One unique thing about Harry Potter movies is the adventure. Particularly the Relationship between Harry, Ron weasley and Hermione grainger. Always looking out for each other. I like that kind of friendship.

Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by pasqal09: 10:26am On Sep 13, 2013
I still think the books are cooler than the movies
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by passionate88: 1:30pm On Sep 13, 2013
SimonAndal:
Crucio!
na d bad ones u like.. Why nt lumos?
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by demelza: 7:15pm On Sep 13, 2013
pasqal09: I still think the books are cooler than the movies
Spot on!
I will take the books over the movies anyday.
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by pasqal09: 6:42am On Sep 14, 2013
demelza: Spot on!
I will take the books over the movies anyday.
Yeah. In goblet of fire, they skipped many relevant events that made the movie look so boring, they also did that in half-blood prince and deathly hallows. Deathly hallows was made in two parts, yet they didn't even cover half the book.
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by dominique(f): 10:24am On Sep 14, 2013
I totally saw it coming. I'd rather read her books than sit through those movies. Chambers of secrets remain my fav
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
Very few gifted writers have walked on this planet and J.K Rowling is on of 'em.
I totally believe this new movie will be amazing too.

P.S - To her fans, she wrote a new book recently under a pseudo name, who knows the title?
Re: JK Rowling To Write Harry Potter Spin-off Movies by ellab(f): 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
oluafolabi: Very few gifted writers have walked on this planet and J.K Rowling is on of 'em.
I totally believe this new movie will be amazing too.

P.S - To her fans, she wrote a new book recently under a pseudo name, who knows the title?

"Cuckoo's Calling"

(1) (2) (Reply)

THINGS FALL APART [season One] 1987 Nigerian First Movie Series[video] / The Worst Movies Of 2014. / New Ghanaian Movie (heart Of Men) Is Been Banned In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.