Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis (23209 Views)

President Obama's Speech To Americans On Syria Crisis / Syria Crisis: Russia Urges Assad To Give Up Chemical Weapons To Avoid US Strike / Syria Crisis: Obama Wins Backingfor Military Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by HezronLorraine(m): 11:17pm On Sep 12, 2013
The Sun can never be in-between The East or the West.simply saying,if Russia and US don't agree on the same page.Nothing is changing.America doesn't give two fvcks about anyone.if it sets out today to strike Syria,it will.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by DonaldGenes(m): 11:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
In my personal Opinion, though i'm not a historian but i have learnt pretty much about Syrian people via news since way back, there are relatively few things the Americans need to know before striking Syria, i see some folks just wanna argue for arguing sake,lolzz

One is that, this Syria is a country in the eastern Mediterranean; northern Syria is due east of Sicily and southeast of Athens. Syria’s population is about 22 million, making it the 54th most populous country in the world, smaller than Ghana, Taiwan and Nepal. The population of a country helps to determine how big its military can be. Syria by this criterion is not very important militarily. Syria does have stockpiles of toxic gas, but these cannot be easily delivered any significant distance and are not effective weapons except against a massed military formation. it is not clear that Syria’s chemical weapons stockpiles are bigger than those of Russia, the US, Israel, and North Korea.

Another things is that . Syria is a largely Arabic-speaking country. Arabic is a Semitic language related to Hebrew. But about 10 percent of the population is Kurdish, which speaks an Indo-European language ultimately related to English.

third, Before the revolution that began in 2011, The Syrian economy was diverse. About a quarter of the economy was industry and mining,Syria was a relatively poor country with an annual gross domestic product in nominal terms ($64 bn) that is 65th in the world behind Angola, Cuba and Ecuador.
__ The Syrian revolution and civil war did not begin as primarily sectarian. It is to some extent a class struggle High population growth rates and economic stagnation made the state unable to provide jobs to a burgeoning youth population.. Droughts and the bad effects of global warming also created a water crisis that harmed farmers and pushed youth off the farms into city slums where, after the 2008 world crash, there were no jobs. The big protests in 2011 originated in the slums around the cities in the center of the country, where young men who had moved there for work from the countryside found themselves locked into long-term unemployment. The governmental and business elite in Damascus benefits from the regime and has mostly remained loyal or neutral, whether they are Sunnis or Alawites. About half of the large northern city of Aleppo is still with the regime, as well. Because the upper ranks of the ruling Baath Party are disproportionately dominated by the Alawite minority, and because so many discontented youth in the cities of the center are Sunni, the conflict took on a sectarian tinge. But its underpinnings are economic.

lastly,Some 10 to 14 percent of Syrians are Christians. They speak Arabic and are primarily Eastern Orthodox (like Greece and Russia) Some 60% of Syrians are Sunni Arabs, i.e., adherents of the Sunni branch of Islam who speak Arabic as their mother tongue. Sunni Arabs also predominate in Jordan and Egypt. Large numbers of Syrian Sunnis are secularists, either nationalists or leftists, and not very observant. Many Syrian Sunnis still follow the tolerant, mystical Sufi form of Islam. Others have come under Saudi influence and are known as Salafis, but this is just a euphemism for Wahhabis, members of the intolerant and rigid form of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia. A very small number of Sunnis have affiliated with al-Qaeda, but they have had the important battlefield victories in the north.

finally,120,000 dead, millions of refugees, a county falling apart and yet nobody is talking about forcing an end 2 conflict-why is that?

check out the map jor

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Italiano1: 11:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
shymexx:

America can't be compared to Western Europe (or should I say EU) when it comes to equality, transparency, democracy and equity - and the EU is not perfect. Extreme capitalism and those qualities should never be in the same sentence.

Perhaps, you're the myopic one with little or no understanding of what equality, transparency, democracy and equity should be about.

You are going on a tangent now bruv.

Please can you succinctly explain how America cannot be compared to the EU when it comes to equality, transparency, democracy and equality?

Have you been living under a rock in the last few years? Please go and ask most Greek, Irish, Portuguese and Spanish citizens about EU's notion and attitude towards democracy , equality and transparency. The same America Y'all love to hate is the reason why the EU is even afloat by pouring American dollars via the IMF.

So that we understand what I asked you- what other country do you think encapsulates those qualities you mentioned as much or better than the USA?
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by highmood(m): 11:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
Beautiful and well spoken. Force should not be use on everything. Countries should learn to exist through the part of dialogue rather than ability and superiority in terms of international relations. The Russian government have been able to think this out as well as taken the first bold step to speak directly to the U.S. I commend their courage and hope d U.S will listen because without Russia, I don't think any other country would be able to speak to the hearing of the United State.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by suwailad(f): 11:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
"I believe we should act," Obama said then. "That's what makes America different. That's what makes us exceptional. With humility, but with resolve, let us never lose sight of that essential truth."
Putin challenged the statement, saying, "It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation."
"We are all different," the Russian leader concluded, "but when we ask for the Lord's blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal."

this is the same thing hitler told his people and it started 2nd world war. Now obama?
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
My question: is dia a different heaven n hell for those killed with hand grenades, RPGs or Chemical weapon? Y wait after Chemical weapons have been launched b4 US n Russia know they will take dis Syria stuff serious?
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by vislabraye(m): 11:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
Broken TV: Is it not this putin that is selling weapons to Syria.

Don't US sell weapons to rebels too ? Were they not the ones who trained Al Qaeda and funded them ? US should not attack Syria.
After all, the attack on Iraq has not yielded any fruit.

1 Like

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 11:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
The man who bombarded georgia and continue to oppress the chenchnyns is taking about america using brutt force. It takes a lot of brass for this stupid man is put together such an indictment of himself and direct it at another.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by DonaldGenes(m): 11:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
hmmmm Canada has refused to officially recognize the Syrian opposition, fearing extremist elements, though it has pledged $203.5m
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 11:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
highmood: Beautiful and well spoken. Force should not be use on everything. Countries should learn to exist through the part of dialogue rather than ability and superiority in terms of international relations. The Russian government have able to think this out and took bold step to speak directly to the U.S. I hope d U.S will listen because without Russia, I don't think any other country would be able to speak to the hearing of the Unites State.
why was'nt puttin diplomatic with georgia when he bombarded that nation to the point they are still feeling the reparcautions? Stop rubber stanping hypocrisy. The u.s does it. Russia does it. So russia has no right to take a moral highground. It's pathetic and foolish of mr putin.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by hollypagan: 11:30pm On Sep 12, 2013
Now i start to like Putin and dislike that my black brother there, his speech made my day
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by suwailad(f): 11:30pm On Sep 12, 2013
Donalð Genes: In my personal Opinion, though i'm not a historian but i have learnt pretty much about Syrian people via news since way back, there are relatively few things the Americans need to know before striking Syria, i see some folks just wanna argue for arguing sake,lolzz

One is that, this Syria is a country in the eastern Mediterranean; northern Syria is due east of Sicily and southeast of Athens. Syria’s population is about 22 million, making it the 54th most populous country in the world, smaller than Ghana, Taiwan and Nepal. The population of a country helps to determine how big its military can be. Syria by this criterion is not very important militarily. Syria does have stockpiles of toxic gas, but these cannot be easily delivered any significant distance and are not effective weapons except against a massed military formation. it is not clear that Syria’s chemical weapons stockpiles are bigger than those of Russia, the US, Israel, and North Korea.

Another things is that . Syria is a largely Arabic-speaking country. Arabic is a Semitic language related to Hebrew. But about 10 percent of the population is Kurdish, which speaks an Indo-European language ultimately related to English.

third, Before the revolution that began in 2011, The Syrian economy was diverse. About a quarter of the economy was industry and mining,Syria was a relatively poor country with an annual gross domestic product in nominal terms ($64 bn) that is 65th in the world behind Angola, Cuba and Ecuador.
__ The Syrian revolution and civil war did not begin as primarily sectarian. It is to some extent a class struggle High population growth rates and economic stagnation made the state unable to provide jobs to a burgeoning youth population.. Droughts and the bad effects of global warming also created a water crisis that harmed farmers and pushed youth off the farms into city slums where, after the 2008 world crash, there were no jobs. The big protests in 2011 originated in the slums around the cities in the center of the country, where young men who had moved there for work from the countryside found themselves locked into long-term unemployment. The governmental and business elite in Damascus benefits from the regime and has mostly remained loyal or neutral, whether they are Sunnis or Alawites. About half of the large northern city of Aleppo is still with the regime, as well. Because the upper ranks of the ruling Baath Party are disproportionately dominated by the Alawite minority, and because so many discontented youth in the cities of the center are Sunni, the conflict took on a sectarian tinge. But its underpinnings are economic.

lastly,Some 10 to 14 percent of Syrians are Christians. They speak Arabic and are primarily Eastern Orthodox (like Greece and Russia) Some 60% of Syrians are Sunni Arabs, i.e., adherents of the Sunni branch of Islam who speak Arabic as their mother tongue. Sunni Arabs also predominate in Jordan and Egypt. Large numbers of Syrian Sunnis are secularists, either nationalists or leftists, and not very observant. Many Syrian Sunnis still follow the tolerant, mystical Sufi form of Islam. Others have come under Saudi influence and are known as Salafis, but this is just a euphemism for Wahhabis, members of the intolerant and rigid form of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia. A very small number of Sunnis have affiliated with al-Qaeda, but they have had the important battlefield victories in the north.

finally,120,000 dead, millions of refugees, a county falling apart and yet nobody is talking about forcing an end 2 conflict-why is that?

check out the map jor
abeg na nonsense you write jor like we dont already know.its true that in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by solomon111(m): 11:34pm On Sep 12, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Italiano1: 11:34pm On Sep 12, 2013
shymexx:

How about get yourself busy and source information from the internet?

Get the Russian military capabilities and compare it to the yanks.

You can start with which of the two countries has the most nuclear warheads.

Then move to ICBMs and check the defense capabilities as well, by comparing US patriot missiles to Russian s300/s400s.

Airhead, have you ever seen me cite anything from wikipedia?

No need to call me names- I merely said that it is imperative that you provide verifiable evidence to support your claims.

None of those you have put up their does that- in fact, it reinforces my statement that your claim is basically theoretical.

Do you think anyone has exact facts about the number of warheads the US or Russia has?

I can bet you even top ranking officials of the KGB and CIA do not possess those facts not to talk of you .

1 Like

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
Italiano1:
You are going on a tangent now bruv.

Please can you succinctly explain how America cannot be compared to the EU when it comes to equality, transparency, democracy and equality?

Have you been living under a rock in the last few years? Please go and ask most Greek, Irish, Portuguese and Spanish citizens about EU's notion and attitude towards democracy , equality and transparency. The same America Y'all love to hate is the reason why the EU is even afloat by pouring American dollars via the IMF.

So that we understand what I asked you- what other country do you think encapsulates those qualities you mentioned as much or better than the USA?

You retorts don't actually make sense, to be honest. You asked me to cite countries, and I did. Yet you came back talking about tangent or whatnot.

You need to stick to the topic about equality, transparency, democracy and equality. Citing the financial and economic situation in Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain doesn't negate the fact that the EU exude those qualities better than their American counterparts.

1. Let's start off with equality and equity: how come the richest 1% in US own 35%(approx) of America's wealth and top 10% wealthiest possess 80% of all its financial assets? Also, how come more than 60% of the people in American prisons are now ethnic minorities?

2. Democracy: would you call a 2-party state that's more or less two sides to the same coin a perfect democracy?

3. Transparency: can you call a country whose leaders are never held accountable for their actions, transparent? How about the banksters on Wall Street - how many of them have been held accountable for their actions and what they did to cause the global financial crisis? Don't even get me started on the American just-us Justice system. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 11:37pm On Sep 12, 2013
shymexx:

How are they sissies? They double-dared the yanks and NATO 2weeks ago like they have been doing for the past 2 years - why didn't the almighty yank and its dogs attack Syria? That alone should tell you who the pus.sy is!!

Putin saw a window of opportunity to help Obama save-face and he's just trying to be diplomatic. Even after he wrote this letter - he announced that Russia would be selling the s300 missiles to Iran, after cancelling it based on the agreement he had with US and Israel. So who's the pus.sy?
if the united states attacks syria, russia will do nothing! Sadaam taught russia will help them when the u.s attacked iraq. Did they come? Russia cannot stand a war without nuclear weapons with the united states and NATO. And mind you, the u.s is a member of nato and when one nato member is attacked, you attack all. Russia will be humbled. Their only ally, china. Will not help them because china will never do anything to slow down their economuc boom. Obam is not a warhawk that is why he is so reluctant to act. If john mccain was u.s president. This syrian war will be over and assad will be either dead or arrested and russia won't do shit.

3 Likes

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 11:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
solomon111: God bless Russia and all friends of justice and equality.
Obama and his "exceptional" americans can go to hell.
No wonder the whole world hates them.
Arrogant prickks.
tell that to all the dead people putin killed when he invaded and bombarded georgia. Also to the chenchnyians he is suppressing or to pussy roit he is imprisoning or maybe vladimir kizinski he killed for writing bad about his government. You're a foreign plicy amateur.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
Italiano1:

No need to call me names- I merely said that it is imperative that you provide verifiable evidence to support your claims.

None of those you have put up their does that- in fact, it reinforces my statement that your claim is basically theoretical.

Do you think anyone has exact facts about the number of warheads the US or Russia has?

I can bet you even top ranking officials of the KGB and CIA do not possess those facts not to talk of you .

Sorry about the name calling.

Every country has its top-secrets when it comes to the military. However, we can only debate the information out there and what most people know. Which is also basically the same things analysts do when they compare countries.

So based on the accessible information - Russia is ahead America in other facets of the military apart from the navy and airforce. The argument about nuclear warheads is out there for all. And you can't compare the Russian ICBMs with America's. The same for defense capabilities (Patriots vs. s300s/s400s).
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by suwailad(f): 11:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
Italiano1:

The same America Y'all love to hate is the reason why the EU is even afloat by pouring American dollars via the IMF.

shame us and show us solid proof of that statement
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 12, 2013
Think about this for a second....CIA is supplying weapons to the al qaeda backed rebels by direct orders from Barrack Hussein Obama to overthrow a "tyrannical" gov.. While at the same time, working very hard to strip us of our second amendment rights. Shows you where their priorities are.. I can only conclude that Obama is freakin' INSANE!

Why Obama is so eager to go to war?

3 Likes

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 11:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
Anybody on the forum supporting russia either does not know what the russian federation is, or is just plainly ignorant to foreign affairs and should stick to gossip, romance and celebrity threads.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Revolva(m): 11:49pm On Sep 12, 2013
well we all know America has all he weapon to destroy the world...but truth to be told...i am not sure Al Assad used the said chemical weapon to destroy his own citizens....may be it may be from the opposition group....the rebels....but America mr policeman of the world....want to use it as a way of propagating accusations.....All what America does is PROPAGANDA...the same way they did to Saddam...Ghadaffi...n the rest......Obama..is an idiot
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 11:50pm On Sep 12, 2013
And yes, the united states of america is exceptional because when blacks are starred at in russia like aliens and thrown banana's in italy, the united states has a black man as president. Is that is not exceptionalism?

1 Like

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 12, 2013
Symphony007: if the united states attacks syria, russia will do nothing! Sadaam taught russia will help them when the u.s attacked iraq. Did they come? Russia cannot stand a war without nuclear weapons with the united states and NATO. And mind you, the u.s is a member of nato and when one nato member is attacked, you attack all. Russia will be humbled. Their only ally, china. Will not help them because china will never do anything to slow down their economuc boom. Obam is not a warhawk that is why he is so reluctant to act. If john mccain was u.s president. This syrian war will be over and assad will be either dead or arrested and russia won't do shit.

Bollocks!

What's the Russian interest in Iraq and Saddam? Russia had its own problems back then and Iraq was the last thing on their mind. If they couldn't do anything during the Kosovo war - what makes you think they would have done anything in Iraq?

You mean the same McCain that chatted shyte to Putin and had to publicly apologise afterwards when Putin said being a POW must have messed up his (McCain's) brain? You're definitely a joker!
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by 50calibre(m): 11:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
I keep hearing guys sing about war between Russia and the US, I can't help but just laugh. You guys have to know that they both got mutual respect for each other, there isn't going to be any fallout war from this syria issue war between the two of them, the worse that's going to happen is deteriorated diplomatic relations.

The issue capable of starting a war between the US and Russia, is something the Americans already backed down on, and that's middle shield in Europe and Russian's borders. America has already suspended its plans for missile shields in Eastern Europe, Medvedev even ordered Obama to remove america's missile defence in Poland, to which Obama did.

Even if America and Russia would go to war, it sure as hell not under Obama.

Finally on Syria, Obama is on his own, hither American public (2/3) don't support any strikes, his own congress aren't fully behind him, his ally Britain already has its wings clipped, France are too sheepish to reasons by themselves, even the Arab world don't support any military action.
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by idriis: 11:58pm On Sep 12, 2013
Wow! Well said mr Putin!

4th page things!
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Aifey(m): 11:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
I hav bein a fan of putin 4a long time. CNN, BBC, Ajazera only deciv people. Obama has bein d worst thing tht has happend to international politics. An avrege man in US do nt buy his ideas. Do u force people 2hav democracy? Legalise abotion n gay marriage? No!
Is there peace in irag, afghanistan n libya. No!!
After invadin iraq, was there weapon of mass destruction. No!! People shuld understand there only intrest is their crude oil. Obama has rubised him self in d international arena. Can't. We. Ask. Questions. Barian, UK, quata n saudi arebia has life monarch y. Has d US nt. Intervend? CNN, Aljazera n BBC. Don't tell us d truth.

4 Likes

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Olaone1: 12:00am On Sep 13, 2013
shymexx:

Utter bollocks!

Who told you Russians don't believe in God? Russian is more of a Christian country than America is and has more Christians than America. Ever heard about orthodox Christians and why gay marriage was outlawed in Russia?

And when did equality, transparency, democracy and equity became an American thing?

Most of you are robots, with garbage in, garbage out. You definitely need to read more.

You dey mind them?They know nothing about Russia. CNN tinz and their perennial fantasies about America.

1 Like

Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Symphony007: 12:01am On Sep 13, 2013
shymexx:

Bollocks!

What's the Russian interest in Iraq and Saddam? Russia had its own problems back then and Iraq was the last thing on their mind. If they couldn't do anything during the Kosovo war - what makes you think they would have done anything in Iraq?

You mean the same McCain that chatted shyte to Putin and had to publicly apologise afterwards when Putin said being a POW must have messed up his (McCain's) brain? You're definitely a joker!
you made no single point in your post. What can russia do if the u.s attacks syria? Can russia fight a war against nato? And by the way john mccain has never apologised to vladimir putin for anything. Even calling him a criminal when he granted edward snowden asslylum.

You don't know russia's interest in iraq? You don't know how many russian oil firms have been working in iraq since the soviet era? How many were deposed for companies like halliburton when america came in? Dude. Who is the real joker here?
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 12:04am On Sep 13, 2013
Symphony007: tell that to all the dead people putin killed when he invaded and bombarded georgia. Also to the chenchnyians he is suppressing or to pussy roit he is imprisoning or maybe vladimir kizinski he killed for writing bad about his government. You're a foreign plicy amateur.

@the bolded - don't you think the Georgians deserved what the got? Heck, Putin was nice to them, he definitely could have captured the whole Georgia if wanted to.

Bush and NATO pushed the Georgians to test if Russia could still bite but what they got in return from the Russian reservists was swift and devastating. They destroyed the Georgian navy within 24 hours and all I saw was the Georgian soldiers running when when they saw the Russians. grin

Then NATO had to get the French president and Germany to beg Putin. That's more reason why you shouldn't trouble the sleeping giant. wink
Re: Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 13, 2013
Ola one:
You dey mind them?They know nothing about Russia. CNN tinz and their perennial fantasies about America.

That's the problem with most of these folks, bruv. They all think the US is invincible because it has abundance of scrap metals. grin

War isn't a joke and the yanks know where to go and which countries to avoid.

It's just the same thing with bullies, they know who to bully and who not to bully.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Petition To Prevent Trump UK State Visit Hits Over 560,000 Signatures / Houthis Knock Out Underwater Cables Linking Europe To Asia - Globes / 'Silence Is Betrayal': Prince Harry Hits Buckingham Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.