Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,483 members, 7,781,444 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:30 PM

The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora (894 Views)

Secret Life Of A Nigerian Teenager / The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager / Two Poems From My Teenager Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 13, 2013
My parents told me that I would change school today, I don't know what to feel. I am sitting here, wondering how on earth am I the bad guy, it's not like I did anything wrong in this school, I did not lie, sleep around (even too young for that), and I am doing really well in my studies-

[b]"Time for lights out"

The alarm disturbed my peace again and I was just about to take this diary entry up a notch. I get down from my bed and head for the switch which was close to the door. It was my turn to be the "head" of the room so I was in charge of waking all of us up (7 in number), keeping a space in the bathroom, sweeping the room and even laying the beds and then making sure everyone sleeps on time.

To be honest, that was a somewhat easy job for me. Somewhat because Abiye, the youngest senior in the room, keeps messing up my job, every single time it was my time to work. I don't know why but I will suspect hatred since there is nothing in me or nothing I have to be jealous about. I could see her coming out of the bathroom late, 30 minutes after the appointed time and now she's about to head for her friends room Fikayo who is just three rooms away from us. Fikayo is the same body structure as Abiye, only shorter by few inches. I heard they have been friends since back home, Port Harcourt and are often times seen as sisters. I wonder why it is not the same for Damola and I, we have been friends since primary school and we even do almost everything together but everything changed when we entered this school.

"Switch off the light na or do you want terminator to attack us? Me, I cannot kneel down on any grass this night" Preye complained as she rolled to face the wall. She must have been talking from her sleep because she was the first to sleep amongst us, an hour ago, maybe it was the alarm that woke her up. I feel sorry for her because she has been down with a fever for two weeks now and her parents live to far to come and take her home. The hospital just discharged her today, but I have a strong feeling she would be going back anytime soon.

I quickly switch it off and head straight for my bed to continue my diary entry.[/b]

-and I am among the first 10 in my class. Just last week, my fine arts teacher told me he doesnt like my work because it was too real and my drawings are too mature for my age- I mean, you have to be really good to hear something like that, I mean really good. Well I never liked this school in the first place, no one liked me especially Senior Bukky, I can never forget what she did to me on the assembly ground.
Today I saw HIM . He was infront of the line in the assembly ground, thank goodness and so I do not have to stylishly turn just to see his face. He didn't even listen to anything, at least that's what I think because he was talking to his friend. Today I will learn his name. I just need a scape goat- Damilola would do, now I just need to push the right buttons.

[b]"Open the door" It was Abiye and she whispered with her tiny voice to me. She knocked on the door five times to call my attention.

"I didn't lock it"

Abiye was really getting on my nerves and she seemed like she enjoyed doing such. How does she expect me to lock the door at this time? One day I'd lock her inside her own cupboard so she can relieve the world of her annoying habits.

"Just open it" I conclude as I hiss to myself hoping no one in the room heard me.

Abiye strolls in with her leafy body and her old lady smile, with water dripping all over the already mopped floor, laughing as usual.

"You will not believe what Fikayo said to me"
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by ReineViolet: 8:41am On Sep 13
"What did she say?" Salewa, who was in the same class as her sat up to hear the story.

"She said that," She tries to stop the laughter from spoiling the joke "Senior Blessing was caught jumping over the fence today"

"Oh my God, who caught her?"

"Some boys in her class. They have been using her to sing songs all day. She's crying in their room"

How is that even funny? What is the funny part of the joke, the fence jumping or the song part? I put my diary under my pillow and try to force myself to sleep. I know this is going to be a struggle because Abiye and Salewa don't look like they are going to stop talking about Blessing anytime soon and Salewa is known to be a black hole of need when it comes to listening to gist.

"She obviously will be scheming for all of us before she goes to bed today, chai, I will never wish that, not even for my enemy" Abiye says as she climbs to her bed. "Wo, I don't have time for her. She should better not try and transfer the anger to us in the dinning tomorrow."

"Tell me about it. Anytime she's angry, we all have to suffer, but it's the new students I feel sorry for the most. Especially this set" Salea replies.

"Something tells me that these people are going to work in the dinning for a whole week again. I'd ask Fikayo tomorrow....."

I grew tired of hearing them speak. I began to think of HIM, as my picture lullaby hoping to see him in my dreams this night.

********************************************************************************[/b]
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Wesslier(m): 7:53am On Sep 13, 2013
Watchin...
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 13, 2013
[b]Abiye was right. We have been condemned to work in this dining for a whole week, all because Blessing jumped a fence and the boys switched to choir mode for her. The whole dinning was in shock when she announced our fate, reason being that we were the ones that made the most noise, which is funny to me because half of us are 'cleaning' the hostel surroundings all thanks to Senior Edidiong. But not Abiye, Salewa and I. I saw them laughing, the both of them, but I was too pained to laugh, I am on the receiving end obviously.

Blessing has successfully spoilt my appetite, but it had already been spoilt in the morning back at the hostel. As usual Abiye was the last to do anything and Salewa enjoyed messing up what had already been arranged. Preye was fair today, she helped me with the sweeping and laying of her bed only and also Ebuns bed, my bed was off limits and Senior Ope's. I think I am beginning to like the idea of me leaving this school, I am tired of being around these people.

Maybe seeing HIM would turn things around, maybe I would have the appetite to eat this super stale bread and the diaper soft cornflakes. But I doubt it, he hardly ever comes to eat. He's known to be a vegetarian and I am wondering how it is possible to be a vegetarian and have such perfect shape. Damola says it's possible, and HE shows it so I guess it should be true. Maybe one day, I'd join him to be one, but for now my mind is on the chicken we are having for lunch and the fact that I may never be slim with this muffin top I have. . I know him being a vegetarian doesn't mean that no bread and cornflakes but his type of vegetarianism is left for the gods to understand.

Senoir Blessing stands on top of a chair, she really needs too, she's too short to be seen in this swarm of human heads and she's short really. With an stainless plate in her hand and a spoon in another, she begins to clap both of it together shouting "Excuse me" and then after some seconds, the whole dining hall became quiet.

"So I am saying again," She cleared her throat, "Leave your plates on the table. Do not take it to the back. The JSS1 girls are going to take care of it". She says it once more like she was reading from a script and then said "Stand up for prayers".

After the prayers everyone left the dinning in such a way that you would think, six tornadoes and hurricanes got high in this place.

Blessing sat down back on another chair, and then told her two friends to assist her with the job. Just then the remaining half of us marched into the dinning along with Edidiong.

"SHUT UP AND START WORKING"

"Ehn?" majority of them chorused which made us laugh, who already knew what was going on.

"Your mates in the dining could not behave themselves and so you have to help them speed the work"

There was utter commotion and protest. You could hear at most two group chorusing these two sentences: "But we were not with them" and "Forgive us". It was a matter of either protest or plea. You could never tell which party was going to win, it all depended on how the dictators felt for that moment.

Blessing started to wave her hand signalling for everyone to keep shut so she could speak. "Go to the assembly ground. Your mates will join you later". The both parties won. They began to run like they were trying to avoid a stampede, with obvious fear that she might change her mind and call them back, because she always did.

"Are you waiting for me to say start working?" We quickly stood up from the plastic chairs and began to clear the plates. I decided that I would be part of the people to clear the wine table covers from the table and take it to the cleaners to do their jobs. With that, I went to the room where the black bags meant specifically for the table covers are.

Ebun was already there, and I already knew what that meant for me. She said to me: "Our group is filled up. Go and join those who are sweeping" and she hissed at me. If I were to write the list of people who hated me in this school, it would hit the roof, break through it and then reach the sky. I cannot really remeber what caused this I think it has to do with the time when she got a zero in class because of me. The maths teacher, Mrs Odeniyi gave us an excercise and we were asked to exchange books and Ebun was my partner then. She didnot hesitate to give me a zero when she marked, and began to feign pity after she laughed to herself. But the atmosphere changed when I gave her a seven.

She was so angry she started to scream at the top of her lungs how wicked I was because she was kind enough to be honest with marking. As usual everyone was on her side, even Damola. I remember Damola saying "That's how she has always been," and I just sat at my desk hich was at the exteme end of the class in a corner, looking at everyone rain curses on my head. Mrs Odeniyi came to our rescue as she took both books and remarked it. Then she called both of us and started to insult me. The class laughed and I stood there with my faded white uniform with tea stains at the sides and tears in my eyes.

Then Mrs Odeniyi goes on to say "Who taught you how to mark like this? This girl is meant to get a zero and you gave her seven, look at all her mistakes", and for that moment, I knew what it felt to be on cloud nine. I tried so hard to stop myself from not smiling but Ebun saw it and she was literally steaming all over. The class too was in shock, Damola couldn't talk, she buried herself in her book. Then Mrs Odeniyi goes on to say in a low voice but few people in the class still heard it : "and you are meant to get a nine sef, I don't know what is wrong with you girls today. Didn't you eat breakfast?"

Mrs Odeniyi's joke was funny to me for the first time ever of her teaching us for over 4 months. But I was too scared to laugh. I was too scared to imagine what will happen when she leaves.[/b]

[b]After that, she has devoted her life to make mine a living hell. So what she just told me now was not surrpising to me. I turn round and start to head for those who were sweeping
Anu comes to me and says "Can you help us pack? You and Ruby would do the packing. We already have too much that are sweeping".
"Okay" I reply and then head for the remaining brooms and packers.
The dinning was extremely dirty. There were slices of bread on the cream tiled floor, some soaked in water, some soaked in milk, some soaked in something that I prayed deeply for it not to be urine. And there were cornflakes on the chairs and surprisingly pasted on the walls. At one end it looked like people took their time to create maps on the floor using the combination of all four and even stepped on it to flatten it. There were plates everywhere. I was even standing on top of one. I picked it up and placed it on the table. Those in charge would take care of it. I saw school ties on the floor, mixed with the concussion made. This was the girls side of the dinning I just described, and I do not want to tell myself the boys side will be better off because it has never been.
I walked over to the girls who were meant to pack the dirt and we all waited for the sweepers to be done sweeping.
[/b]
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 13, 2013
[b]****************************************************************************
It took a very lonng tme for us to be done cleaning the dining and I say that because by the time we were done , I had already missed four classes and it was break time. We all ran to the kiosk to buy something to eat because we were all famished. Upon getting there, I stopped and squatted- the kiosk was packed as usual. I guess I would not be able to eat anything this morning, I thought and began to head for the class.
Just then I someone slapped my back making me jolt. I turn around, it was Damola. Is it slapping me to mock me? I am not in the right disposition to answer her. "Yeah?" I ask trying to be nice.
She reaches for her bag and gives me two biscuits and a pure water. "I didn't know you will take that long in the dining." She was among those who packed the table cloths "So I decided to buy something for you... Which means, you owe me"
I knew it. There was always a catch when dealing with Damola. But right now, I am very hungry so what do I have to loose? "Okay. Thanks" I say as I collect it from her and start to head for class. Damola heads to the kiosk maybe to buy more stuff or to meet her friends.
Immediately I enter the class, I look directly at my desk trying to avoid looking at anyone in class, even though I knew fully well that no one was looking at me. Then instead of going straight to sit down, I stop infront of Zainab's desk. "Zainab" I called out.
She refuses to answer me, She ignore anyone who tries to call her anytime she's reading the bible. I noticed after 3 seconds. Zainab was a dark pretty girl, with pimples all over her face. She hardly talked but when she did, it would take a lot of self control not to call her loquacious and when seh wanted to talk, it was mostly about religious topics, chrisianity in particular, how to be the best christian ever to be more specific. No one in the class loved her to talk, she always ended up guilt tripping everyone when she stated preaching about love and sin, and no one loved to be reminded of their ills. But that was Zainab for all of us. She was oblivious to the fact that no one wanted to listen to her. But if you try to stop her, you will be labelled as a 'devil' who is trying to stop God's prophet. So we just had to bear anytime she opened he mouth.
I walk to my seat, seeing there is no use trying to wait for her to be done reading, because after that, she would sing, thus disturbing everyone within her radius, then pray. Then she would keep quiet, only giving side smiles when she feels its necessary and then remain like that till evening till she gets to her room to gossip about everyone in our set. [/b]
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 13, 2013
Wesslier: Watchin...

First part
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Wesslier(m): 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wat happened here? Reeneevio...!
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wesslier: Wat happened here? Reeneevio...!

I felt bad about the story embarassed embarassed... It looks awful embarassed embarassed
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Wesslier(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
ReineViolet:

I felt bad about the story embarassed embarassed... It looks awful embarassed embarassed
It certainly wasn't dat bad na. So wat do u intend doin?
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wesslier:
It certainly wasn't dat bad na. So wat do u intend doin?

BUT it was bad. I have to scrap it
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Wesslier(m): 5:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
ReineViolet:

BUT it was bad. I have to scrap it
well u av don it... U just murdered a "living work in cold blood." so i advise u modify it and put it up again.
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wesslier:
well u av don it... U just murdered a "living work in cold blood." so i advise u modify it and put it up again.

Okay, could you please tell me where I went wrong. Be as blunt as possible. I can take it, if it's to make me a better writer.

I had to murder it, it wasn't worth living in the first place, it was horrid.... embarassed
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Wesslier(m): 8:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
I read d whole work and it was ok. The only pain was dat d narration was not very descriptive, maybe cuz i was a day student bak in sec. Sch so i don't knw much abt d boardin house lyf style... All u nided was a lil tym. People wud av com 2 comment and correct ur flaws. Princesa and some ordas constructed mine smtym ago.
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wesslier: I read d whole work and it was ok. The only pain was dat d narration was not very descriptive, maybe cuz i was a day student bak in sec. Sch so i don't knw much abt d boardin house lyf style... All u nided was a lil tym. People wud av com 2 comment and correct ur flaws. Princesa and some ordas constructed mine smtym ago.

My bad, I would try to be more descriptive now. I am not really good at at but I guess I cannot run away from it forever. Thank you so much for your feedback. I guess it's time to go back to the drawing board. I literally gave up. Thanks again Wesslier. grin kiss
Re: The Weirdo Teenager: Love, Depression And Plethora by Wesslier(m): 5:32am On Sep 17, 2013
Anytime...

(1) (Reply)

Blades Of Tears: Twin Kingdoms, Twin Princes / A Score To Settle / My Ordeal With The Atms In Ilaro, Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.